Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread

Posted by: Richie V.

Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 08/03/16 03:00 PM

It's getting to be that time of year, when most of us return to our fall leagues. You can post about what's going on in your leagues, including your scores, here.

As for me personally, I'll have to see if I can still do two leagues, but I intend to return to both my Wednesday night and Sunday night leagues. If I have to drop one of the leagues, it'll be the Sunday night league, but I hope that doesn't happen, as I felt I had a good team on Sunday night last year and hope I can continue with them.
Posted by: Vic44

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 08/04/16 10:44 PM

Woohoo! Took 3 months off... practiced last Sunday as my first of two leagues starts up again this coming Sunday! Was worried, hurt my elbow early last month... same injury spot as when I hurt it pitching in high school. Started feeling better, so thought I should try it out before league started. And last year was simply a down year, bad form, bad timing.. just not that good really, except for a brief month of hope.
Anywho, the practice was good. Felt very loose, more loose than for a few years. Elbow held up, converted all my 7 pin spares, which is generally the rustiest conversion I have when returning back to league. Wasn't focused on the score, but ran up a 634 series. First time back.. and FULL of hope now for some return to form from what I could bowl a few years back.
Cheers to the board! Oy!!
Vic.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 08/04/16 10:47 PM

The elbow was the biggest thing. I was out a whole year the last time I screwed that up, and never pitched again after that happened. Here's to good health!
Posted by: Doogie

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 08/08/16 11:52 AM

I am excited for this season to begin. Going to get some new equipment and have been reading up on the mental part of bowling and thinking this could set up to be a good year with the changes.
Posted by: BrunswickKing170

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 08/11/16 05:15 PM

How much money have prices risen to?

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 08/23/16 12:07 PM

Had the first week of our league last Wednesday. Shot decent 205-197-168. I could not stop tugging the ball and spare shooting got a bit worse as the night went on. All in all a good start to the season but I am hoping week two is better.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 08/28/16 01:55 PM

I am back to bowling two leagues this year... second league starts tonight. Old fave team of mine, "Hambones". We rolled for five years, but took last year off as one member was battling cancer. He could not bowl, so we all decided to take the year off there. He is back... Hambones are back! Can't wait.

Week 4 is this afternoon for my other league. First two weeks were very rough. Felt much better last week. Trying to build. Welcome back everyone to your leagues, and to this forum if you took some time off here also.

Cheers!
Vic.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 08/28/16 01:57 PM

PS: Can't underestimate how great it is to see our friend Steve back . Good guy, good to see he is kicking cancer's butt! smile CHEERS!

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 09/07/16 11:08 PM

Tonight's bowling, frame-by-frame (Linked to BowlSK sheet)

My vacation from bowling paid immediate dividends, as I had my most promising first week of league in a while. I had a chance at 600 through two games, but then the strikes just weren't coming. My spare game was a bit iffy, but I did convert my toughest chance of the night, a 4-7-10.

Result: 201-191-156=548
Average (3 games): 182
Next week's AVG+1 score: 550

Our opponents had a couple of new bowlers who were averaging in, so we won't know about points until the first week's standings are posted. Barry's night was kind of a carbon copy of mine, but with lower scores.
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 09/08/16 09:39 AM

I haven't bowled for a while, fighting injuries. I consider this rehab on my leg.

but I have been picked up by a team that I know. They lost a bowler due to a move to warmer climate in retirement.

I remember this house. It had a pattern that I thought catered to a bowler that I am not. It's a narrow Christmas tree, medium oil shot. Actually, too narrow, leaving a flood in the middle, and extremely dry outside. And, the back 21 feet are stripped dry. Those who crank with snappy balls may like it. But, my arcing ball path really has trouble. It's dry at the 12 board at the arrows. And, my ball gains too much friction too early.

I no longer have the speed to carry long, nor the revs to crank. Both are needed here. So, I put my reactive balls away mid game 2 and used my spare ball up the outside.

rolled a 119, 6 splits
a 168, finishing X X O, pocket 7-10
and a 215. The last with a hooking spare ball.

Will try older, and diff equipment as the year goes on. New balls and I don't mix.
Posted by: 82Boat69

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 09/08/16 10:20 AM

If you feel more comfortable with a ball that won't hook, that's one way to go. However, there are other ways to go that will require a ball that hooks.

You can try these options in practice;

I'm assuming you're right handed, the lanes are synthetic and you throw a hook. Remove all axis-rotation from your shot. Keep your thumb at 12:00 all the way through your release.

1) The first is an extreme outside line. You'll need to stand with your left foot about 17 or so and target the 6 board at the arrows. Target the 6 but your ball will need to swing out to the 2 or 3 boards before it's allowed to hook back. If, upon crossing at the 6, if your ball immediately heads left, disregard and go to option two.

2) You mentioned lots of oil in the middle. Make that oil your friend. Stand with your left foot on 38 and target anyplace between 15 and 20 at the arrows. If your approach has you wandering off to the right, this won't work. You need to walk straight to the foul line to shoot inside. That means on the first step with your right foot, whether you have a 4 or 5 step approach, that foot has to come down in front of your left foot. You then simply walk heel/toe to the foul line. On arrival, you'll be far enough left to hit your target. It will take practice, but the idea is to play the very right edge of the oil line.

I'm not against using urethane or plastic spare balls, except they tend to be DOA on dry lanes.

If you already walk in a straight line, try this to help you redirect your shot when deep inside. Adjust your timing so that as your crossover step is hitting the floor, the ball is coming back into the area just cleared by your right leg. It'll seem the ball is going behind you, but just a little. When you get to the foul line, hopefully still around 38, you'll have a little inside out working for you that will make it easier to hit between 15 and 20.

You'll have a tendency to want to go around your ball with your elbow or your wrist. Fight off both tendencies. You want to let your ball swing back very relaxed, wait until the ball's weight begins to bring it forward and stay relaxed at the point of release. Use the ball's technology and the lane condition to make your ball hook. Not you.

Good luck!

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 09/11/16 09:19 PM

Tonight's bowling, frame-by-frame (Linked to BowlSK sheet)

I was forced into more loft by the lane conditions after the tournament today, and I ran into some over/under the way I was playing the lanes. Somehow, I did manage to make that work, as I was able to make a bunch of 6-10 spares, and capitalize on some Brooklyn strikes in the third game with some better shots for a 225. It did feel good to get the 600 out of the way. smile

Result: 190-187-225=602
Average (3 games): 200
Next week's AVG+1 score: 604

Our opponents had a new bowler who may have been averaging in, but I was told the recap was marked with all eight points for us. My 602 was high on the pair.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 09/14/16 10:47 PM

I fell back to Earth tonight, as I never really got anything going until the end of the third game. I missed a bunch of spares on the right side standing where I normal stand and trying to hook my plastic ball; oddly enough, I did make the one 10 pin I had.

Result: 129-146-173=448
Average (6 games): 166
Next week's AVG+1 score: 507

Composite average (9 games): 177

Team followed me pretty much in the first two games, but we did salvage the third game. Barry almost broke 500.
Posted by: Mkirchie

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 09/16/16 11:17 PM

I had likely the most inopportune pocket 7-10 of my entire career tonight in league. I was at 558 after the first 2 games. I was on a 259 pace in the last game up until the 8th frame when I left it. I struck out after that to shoot a 783, which at least is now my high series, a whole 7 pins higher than my previous high series. The 10 pin in the 7-10 was the only 10 pin I left all night. 30 of 36 strikes, probably the best I have ever bowled, and I'm still stuck below 800. Slowly climbing towards it!

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 09/18/16 09:00 PM

I had another slow start, but I improved enough with every game to make tonight better than Wednesday night. A couple of light splits were what really derailed the second game, and there were a few other spare misses, but I again made every 10 pin.

Result: 148-172-204=524
Average (6 games): 187
Next week's AVG+1 score: 566

Composite average (12 games): 176

My teammates picked me up first game, and we again won all eight. Ed was high on the pair with a 633.
Posted by: RGR

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 09/21/16 01:31 PM

This is my week 4. 181, 227, 185 for 593. I thought it was good for me. Threw my unhinged. Lanes were oily in the center and dry on the outside. Tried a few different lines during practise, and decided on starting on board 19 and throwing around board 10, it worked good when I was on. I used that line before with good results but not today, consistency problems, so decided to go outside on game 2. I know that I have a tendency to throw harder as I loosen up, so I gave it a try. Threw the ball straight down the 5 board, It still came up high most of the time but I was more consistent with my accuracy, I went more for pin count, but as it turns out I got a lot of Brooklyn strikes. Either I have to get a weaker ball or learn to throw a different line more consistently. Spare shooting was good, only missed 2, a mother in law and a light hit on the 3,6,10 and a miss on the 5, 10 the result of a light brook hit. Never missed a single 10 pin, I'll thank "boat" for that, he mentioned one time to relax on 10 pins, so now I do. I read everyones advise, I try them, some work some don't. So I say everyone has helped. Anything weaker than a Unhinged, I believe someone mentioned Ebonite. So until next week.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 09/21/16 10:42 PM

There were tons of spare misses, particularly corner pins, and my 600 was to be had if I'd just taken care of business. On the bright side, the Tropical Breeze that I threw one shot with in practice Sunday before putting it back in the bag was my ball tonight, and I was able to be locked in, as I had at least a double in every game.

Result: 162-177-214=553
Average (9 games): 172
Next week's AVG+1 score: 527

Composite average (15 games): 178

The surprise of the night for my team was Jeff, who was close to 100 over his entering average in posting a 515. Team won all four.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 09/25/16 09:37 PM

Some splits and washouts kept what was otherwise a good night down in score. I felt maybe my ball wasn't turning the corner, so I switched to my IQ Fusion, but I really didn't get my best results until I also relaxed my swing, as my third game was better because of it.

Result: 174-172-183=529
Average (9 games): 183
Next week's AVG+1 score: 553

Composite average (18 games): 178

A bowler I really respect here usually subs on Peter's team in this league, and his first opportunity was tonight due to Peter's absence. The sub contributed a 673 and Ed a 577 in another eight-point effort.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 09/28/16 10:40 PM

Tonight was rather frustrating, as I missed a couple of spares, but put a couple of doubles together in the first game, and then couldn't strike much the rest of the night. I left the 4-5 twice in the second game, and a couple of splits and my only single-pin miss of the night bit me in the third game.

Result: 176-156-146=478
Average (12 games): 168
Average for last 9 games: 164
Next week's AVG+1 score: 508

Composite average (21 games): 175

Barry put a couple of nice games together and was high on the pair with a 555. Team won three of four (first two games and total by 100+ pins) with Jeff absent.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 10/02/16 09:14 PM

I bowled one of my better overall games the first game (a clean 209 that was on Dutch 200 pace until I doubled in the 10th), but it was quickly followed by a bad one, punctuated by a couple of bad breaks at the end. I missed some spares in the third game, as well, but that game also had the other double of the night.

Result: 209-139-174=522
Average (12 games): 181
Average for last 9 games: 175
Next week's AVG+1 score: 553

Composite average (24 games): 175

Team finally lost a game (the second one), but Peter rebounded with a 248 third game to help us take that game and total. The six points were rather important, because we were bowling the second place team.
Posted by: RGR

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 10/05/16 02:12 PM

League play Wednesday morning, It was a sad day in mudville today. Started out good hitting my spot everything felt good. Decided to try a ball I haven't tried for a while because the lanes were a little oily. The first throw, the ball felt good, up in the air, down and two feet from the foul line into the gutter. Did not hurt myself, but I was done. The swing went away, the release, the lousy footwork was lousier, if that's a word. Everything I practised was gone, mentally I could not recoup. It was always in the back of my mind, will I do it again. Of course I went back to my old ball, but it just did not feel right, tape in the ball tape out of the ball, tape back in tape back out. Should have just went home. Managed a great 167-150-141. Feel like back to square one.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 10/05/16 10:54 PM

Both nights I've missed 500 so far this season have been on Wednesday night, but I've also had nights like tonight to give me hope, my third game notwithstanding. I was able to put something together late in the first game and parts of the second game, though the second game really should have been clean if not for single pin misses.

Result: 181-204-157=542
Average (15 games): 171
Average for last 9 games: 174
Next week's AVG+1 score: 527

Composite average (27 games): 175

Si tried out a wrist support tonight, and he was better once he got used to it, as he was over average after the first game, which helped the team win the last two games and total.
Posted by: goobee

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 10/09/16 05:33 PM

I've been struggling since the start of the season. I bowled a house tournament today to see if I could shake things up a bit.

Nope, my bowling rut continues. 201, 206 and finishing with a fantastic 152. Needless to say I missed the cut. undecided

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 10/09/16 08:56 PM

This was definitely a night I bowled better than my score. Granted there were a few Brooklyn strikes in the run, but I hadn't had the front seven in a while, and I was thinking a 700 might be possible midway through the second game. The 7-10 ending the night cost me my 600, but you can really point to the 10 pin in the second game and the 7 pin in the third game as doing me in.

Result: 235-189-171=595
Average (15 games): 184
Average for last 9 games: 182
Next week's AVG+1 score: 558

Composite average (30 games): 178

My 595 was still high on the pair, and the team won seven points, tying just the second game.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 10/12/16 10:42 PM

I really saved my best bowling for the end tonight, and it was a tight third game at the end. First game should have been better, as well, as all but one ball was dead in the pocket and I missed three 10 pins.

Result: 173-175-213=561
Average (18 games): 173
Next week's AVG+1 score: 524

Composite average (33 games): 178

My run of strikes near the end of the night was only part of a team third game win, as all five of us were over average, and we were bowling a fairly stacked team. With us winning the first game, as well, we split the points 2-2, and I couldn't help but notice that the leaders forfeited.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 10/16/16 05:23 PM

I bowled a bit better this week. I recognized some issues with my release, for lack of a better term, it is no longer "quiet". It used to be straight back, hesitate and back down through the release. Now I feel all kinds of movement going on during the down swing. It seems to have started recently.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 10/16/16 09:42 PM

It's becoming more and more apparent that taking (most of) the summer off from bowling has improved my overall game, as my composite average is currently well over last year's. Supporting this is the fact that I've already bowled nine games at least 200, where I had 16 between my two leagues all of last season.

Result: 217-185-169=571
Average (18 games): 185
Average for last 9 games: 187
Next week's AVG+1 score: 563

Composite average (36 games): 179

Peter was actually our star of the night, as he had a 716 set with a 258 first game. Team won the first two games, plus total comfortably.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 10/19/16 10:24 PM

I had my best night of the season to date tonight. I really was only in trouble in the 3rd frame of the second game, when I left a washout, but I made the spare, and only missed one spare in each game (but you might point to the 7 being off-spot for that miss). It was my first 600 series in this league since Dec. 3, 2014 (646) and also my highest series since then, as my only 600 series last year was the 612 on Oct. 11, 2015 in the Sunday Niters league.

Result: 194-199-222=615
Average (21 games): 178
Average for last 9 games: 190
Next week's AVG+1 score: 551

Composite average (39 games): 181

Our opponents all pre-bowled, and they had two good games which we were hard-pressed to top. Team did win the first game.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 10/23/16 09:06 PM

I lost most of my carry after the first game, and my problems were compounded by six corner pin misses. I made a move back on the approach after leaving ringing 10s, but my only other move to try to get carry was at the end, when I made a one board parallel move in to try to avoid the 7.

Result: 195-161-171=527
Average (21 games): 184
Average for last 9 games: 188
Next week's AVG+1 score: 570

Composite average (42 games): 181

Team won the first two games to maintain our lead on second place, but the team could have used a couple of made single pins from me in the second game to get the two for total.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 10/26/16 10:45 PM

Tonight was a memorable night in more ways than one. Not only was it the first time I've had back-to-back 600s in this league since Dec. 8 & 15, 2010 (618 and 689), but it was also my first time ever that I've had 29 clean frames out of 30. My only "hole" was the 4th frame of the 2nd game, when I hooked past a 2-4-5 cluster and had the 5 stand out of that. This might have been 29 clean and under 600, but I struck out at the end for my 601.

Result: 197-191-213=601
Average (24 games): 181
Average for last 9 games: 197
Next week's AVG+1 score: 568

Composite average (45 games): 182

Team won first and third games and total against one of the teams ahead of us with a position round looming next week.
Posted by: Fin09

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 10/27/16 11:32 PM

Nice job Richie- glad to see the hard work is paying off!

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 10/30/16 09:14 PM

Tonight was frustrating overall, with an abundance of splits and washouts, and even a ball change to my IQ Tour Fusion in the third game didn't improve matters. Result was my first Sunday night under 500 this season.

Result: 162-173-158=493
Average (24 games): 181
Average for last 9 games: 176

Composite average (48 games): 181

The team largely shared my frustration, but we did manage to win the second game.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 11/02/16 11:04 PM

I couldn't make it three consecutive weeks with a 600 in this league, and just barely missed my average. I missed a couple of 7 pins in the third game that would have gotten me over my average again, but other than that, I was OK with my bowling tonight.

Result: 180-203-159=542
Average (27 games): 181
Average for last 9 games: 195
Next week's AVG+1 score: 572

Composite average (51 games): 181

Si was over his average all three games, with his high game of the season, a 190, enabling us to win the third game by enough for total. The third point was there in the first game if I converted my light split, but I whiffed on it.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 11/06/16 08:58 PM

This was an over-average night, but could have been much more if I showed up for the third game. My problems on the right (ending) lane at the end were caused by not following through, but my shot in the 10th was better; I just couldn't repeat it.

Result: 186-213-148=547
Average (27 games): 181

Composite average (54 games): 181

If I'd bowled around my average third game, we'd have had a chance to win it, but the other team's anchor put up a 277 that game, as it was. Team did win the second game.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 11/09/16 10:14 PM

This was pretty much a repeat of last week in this league, but with a worse first game and a better second game, the latter which should be my high game in this league this season to date. I was happy that the second game was clean, but then I came undone after that.

Result: 155-226-140=521
Average (30 games): 180
Average for last 9 games: 184
Next week's AVG+1 score: 564

Composite average (57 games): 181

We were up against a big pre-bowl, but Barry had a 226 of his own first game, and Donald was over his average in all three games; team won the first two games, but lost total in the third game.
Posted by: champ

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 11/09/16 11:42 PM

After two years of bowling in a terrible center I proudly announced I'd never return to, I'm making a weekly hour drive to Plaza Bowl, in Prescott, AZ. I couldn't be happier.

My first two weeks were rough, but 11 weeks in, I'm averaging 206. Scoring conditions are good, and I'm raising my average every week. I expect to be well above 210 by the end of the season. My personal best series is over four years old now, as is my lone 300, and both of those are goals for the year as well.

The best part is, I'm bowling with my wife and my parents. We're averaging almost 6 points a night (out of a standard 7) and as outsiders to the center, there's some grumbling about us, but I guess that's to be expected.

I'm having fun bowling again. Something I haven't really experienced in a few years. Now its time to achieve some goals.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 11/13/16 12:50 PM

My team pre-bowled this week. I shot 238, 211, and 229 for a 678 series, raising my average to 207. Two opens in the second game kept me from an easy 700.

I had a rough start to league, but my 21 game trailing average is 218. If I can keep that clip I should be getting my average where I want it for this year.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 11/13/16 08:53 PM

It was another over-average Sunday night, despite wanting my second game back. The ball change with the move in later helped me find my stride.

Result: 191-158-207=556
Average (30 games): 182
Average for last 9 games: 177
Next week's AVG+1 score: 573

Composite average (60 games): 181

I was high on the pair, but the effort rang a bit hollow, as we lost all eight.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 11/16/16 10:29 PM

Overall, this was a very frustrating night, as I never put two strikes together and missed plenty of spares. The bright spot, it seemed, was the two split conversions, one of them a tougher 5-7.

Result: 149-168-151=468
Average (33 games): 178
Average for last 9 games: 170
Next week's AVG+1 score: 567

Composite average (63 games): 180

Barry and Jeff put up a 203 and a 190 respectively in the second game, and we won that game, holding on for total.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 11/19/16 05:00 PM

I've been fighting a cold all week, I thought about not bowling today. I decided to give it a go anyway. First ball thrown during shadow practice, I felt completely discombobulated. Second ball thrown wasn't much better. I was ready to pack it up at that point but kept at it.

It turned out to be a very decent day even though my head felt like it was floating 2 feet above me. First 6 series of the season and a clean 10 for the last game.
Posted by: Mkirchie

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 11/19/16 06:19 PM

Back in February, I showed up to league recovering from a sinus infection. I had only taken antibiotics for about 2 days before league night. Since I knew I wasn't contagious anymore by league night, I decided to give it a go. My first shot of practice was the same experience that you had; I thought "Why am I here?" I also fought through it and ended up just over my average for the night. It was easy to not muscle the shot that night.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 11/20/16 08:49 PM

This effort was less consistent than the scores would indicate, as I was throwing poorer shots in the second game, particularly in the middle of it. Carry issues and single pin misses prevented the third game from being better.

Result: 198-181-183=562
Average (33 games): 182
Average for last 9 games: 185
Next week's AVG+1 score: 560

Composite average (66 games): 180

Peter was absent, but so was the anchor bowler on the other team, so the absentees were a wash. Ed also had a good night, and we won all eight, with the first place team only winning three, so it should be official in the next standings update that we're tied for first again.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 11/20/16 10:43 PM

Tonight I had bad carry, got totally lost on the lanes, and was constantly battling but I still managed 221, 190, 227 for 638.

I raised my average to 208, but I haven't been under 600 in ten weeks. My 30 game trailing average is 217. Hopefully one of these weeks I'll have a big 700 and get my average closer to where I want it to be for the season.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 11/21/16 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Mkirchie
It was easy to not muscle the shot that night.

Mark

Yep, as weak as I felt, muscling was not a problem. Pulling the ball however, was another matter.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 11/23/16 10:55 PM

I really struggled with my release timing most of the night. I did have a promising start to the third game, but then just hit a wall with four straight open frames, including two splits. Making corner pins was rare for me tonight, as well.

Result: 152-160-183=495
Average (36 games): 177
Next week's AVG+1 score: 570

Composite average (69 games): 179

Si had a 196 second game for the only point we got, and Jeff had a 212 third game in a losing effort.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 11/27/16 09:08 PM

When I wasn't chicken-winging it tonight, I was actually pretty good. Because of that, I probably wanted my second game back, but did find some consistency in the third game to save a small under-average.

Result: 173-158-201=532
Average (36 games): 182
Average for last 9 games: 183
Next week's AVG+1 score: 577

Composite average (72 games): 179

Both of my teammates were under their average all three games, but Peter was close enough to his average third game that we won that game. I was told the team we're tied with for the lead also only won two, but the pack behind us may be closing.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 11/30/16 10:46 PM

This was another under-average night, but the saving grace was that I was back over 500 after being under that in the previous two weeks in this league. I only had eight strikes on the night, with a couple of doubles and none after the third frame last game.

Result: 174-179-151=504
Average (39 games): 176
Average for last 9 games: 163
Next week's AVG+1 score: 558

Composite average (75 games): 179

The team, without Jeff tonight, only won the first game, but the third game was also close.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 12/01/16 09:03 AM

180-177-201. Team won a majority of points and I went 3-2 on individual points. Starting to get some more consistency back just need to put everything together on the same night and I think I can get back above the 600 mark.

New equipment this year seems to need more speed than I am used to using.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 12/04/16 09:39 PM

Unlike last year, I seem to be bowling better on Sunday night this year than on Wednesday night, and, while I'd like to see my Wednesday night come back up, Sunday night is sort of offsetting Wednesday night in terms of effect on my composite average. Tonight, I had a great look with my Tropical Breeze, and, except for issues with my 10 pin, had a decent night.

Result: 185-179-195=559
Average (39 games): 182
Average for last 9 games: 183

Composite average (78 games): 179

Peter started with a 234, and we won the first game by enough for total, as it turned out, but we lost a close third game to split the points instead of winning six.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 12/05/16 12:28 AM

My team had to pre-bowl again this week, and bowled on nasty used lanes. It sucked. I shot a 541. My first sub 600 in over ten weeks. Disappointing.

But the nature of the bowler's psyche is that I'm already looking forward to next week, on fresh oil, with a chance to shoot something big enough to make up for this week.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 12/05/16 02:03 PM

since knee operations, balance on slide knee has been a problem. Lately, it has improved, but then, I lose speed with my legs.

Been shooting +200 for 2 games, followed by a 160 ev nite, for weeks now.

That short break between games hurts me. And, without the muscle memory back, I have trouble

On Thurs, the 3rd game went:
X O X O X O X O O Even the odd lane let me down. It must be the ball return on my left leg. I can stand farther left on the odd lane. Need the room when lanes break down.

real hard to recover from that start.
Posted by: ebon betta

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 12/05/16 04:04 PM

Hello Rich, zJust a question..You sent me a reminder that there was a 5.pm desadline for scores today. Are you saying you did not get them ? i am sure I posted them but here they area again.
I rolled a 158+165+153=476
I am sure i posted them...

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 12/06/16 03:17 AM

Yeah, ebon, I eventually did get your scores. This would be the thread about everyone's real leagues, though. wink

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 12/07/16 10:29 PM

Baby steps: Back over a 170 average for three tonight. There was a double in every game, but also either a split or a washout. I feel I'm at least rolling it better now, however.

Result: 168-163-183=514
Average (42 games): 175
Average for last 9 games: 168
Next week's AVG+1 score: 530

Composite average (81 games): 179

Team only won the first game, and my third game was wasted, losing that by only eight pins.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 12/08/16 12:24 PM

Bowled better tonight. 198-182-199. More strikes but spare shooting was off. A few more splits, but missed too many make able ones. Was 4 out of 5 on individual points and team swept all team games.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 12/11/16 09:14 PM

This was not a very good night. If splits weren't an issue, carry and missing the 10 pin were issues. I tried the IQ Tour Fusion at the end of the first game because the Tropical Breeze was laboring, but it didn't seem to matter.

Result: 142-139-155=436
Average (42 games): 179
Average for last 9 games: 169
Next week's AVG+1 score: 545

Composite average (84 games): 177

Team lost the first game big, but won the other two to make it close, and Ed couldn't get the strikes he needed at the end. We really needed eight to keep pace, however, as one of the teams in first place swept their points.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 12/18/16 09:31 PM

My left foot was a little sore from being on my feet a lot of the day with the Brockton Bowling Association Holiday Doubles tournament going on today, but I still felt OK to bowl, and I bowled so poorly that it would have been better for me to take my blind score tonight. There were four splits in the second game and plenty of missed spares in the others.

Result: 160-129-150=439
Average (45 games): 177
Average for last 9 games: 159

Composite average (87 games): 176

Team lost all eight, with the first two games being closer than the third. Peter was the bright spot for us, with a 628.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 12/20/16 10:14 PM

After missing the last two weeks, I shot a very rusty 601 this week. Just couldn't make the right adjustments to stay ahead of nasty leaves. Now my league is taking the next two weeks off for holidays. Ugh.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 12/21/16 10:52 PM

An otherwise mediocre night in my return to this league after being absent last week was salved by three split conversions, including the 4-6-7-9 for the first time (and I probably would have converted the full Greek Church if the 10 was also standing), and better bowling overall in the third game.

Result: 147-162-202=511
Average (45 games): 175
Next week's AVG+1 score: 547

Composite average (90 games): 176

Team lost all four, the third game by approaching 200 pins when the opposing second bowler posted a 198 (averaging 135).

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 12/28/16 09:37 PM

I seem to be stuck in a rut right now with my bowling. You can definitely blame the first game on bad spare shooting, and I had a double in the other two games (lucking into the one in the third game), but splits and washouts to go along with those.

Result: 141-151-178=470
Average (48 games): 174
Average for last 9 games: 166
Next week's AVG+1 score: 554

Composite average (93 games): 175

The third game was really the only one I "pulled my weight" for against the vacant, but Barry and Jeff had good nights to compensate, and the team won all four.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 01/04/17 10:42 PM

Two decent games tonight, anyway, and if I had finished the second game better, it might have been three. Most of the spares I missed were ones I really should never have left, and my only single pin miss was a 7 (I made every 10).

Result: 185-155-188=528
Average (51 games): 174
Average for last 9 games: 167

Composite average (96 games): 175

Barry was over 500, as well, but the opposing team's woman and anchor both had good nights, with my team salvaging the third game thanks to my late string of strikes.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 01/08/17 09:18 PM

Really was close to my high series ever in the Sunday Niters league (I had a 612 last season), and it did feel good to get back into the 600s tonight. In particular, the six-bagger in the middle of the second game was some of my best bowling all season.

Result: 193-233-184=610
Average (48 games): 179
Average for last 9 games: 165
Next week's AVG+1 score: 576

Composite average (99 games): 176

Team started the way we did the first half, riding on my back for all eight points.
Posted by: B Fury

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 01/11/17 02:24 AM

Wassup Ritchie,

Good to back in the virtual fold again. Started second half tonight with pretty good bowling. Using my Brunswick Arson, shot a 199,257,170 626 series. Was in a 280 game second game until unfortunate 9 pin in the 9th. Lane change dramatically last game and got too many splits to bowl a good game. Have to do better adjusting to conditions.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 01/11/17 10:40 PM

The lanes were playing tighter than in recent weeks tonight, and it really took me a game to adjust, but I had two games over average after that. The good thing was I didn't hurt myself by missing single pins.

Result: 161-176-179=516
Average (54 games): 174
Next week's AVG+1 score: 560

Composite average (102 games): 176

With Jeff pre-bowling, team took three of four, with Barry high man on the pair. Si was also over average tonight.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 01/15/17 09:55 PM

I will always take a night like tonight. I didn't really have long strings of strikes, but I made most of the spares I was supposed to, missing on only one single pin on the night (a 10 pin in the third game). My third game was good enough to get my +1 for this league on the button, and it also raised my composite average.

Result: 180-192-204=576
Average (51 games): 180
Average for last 9 games: 180
Next week's AVG+1 score: 594

Composite average (105 games): 177

Unfortunately, Peter really struggled tonight, but the team did win the third game. Ed had the only game of my teammates that was higher than one of my games (181 first game).

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 01/18/17 10:18 PM

After the first game, I never really had it, with the second game exacerbated by my inability to cover a 10 pin. I made a ball change to my Tropical Breeze late in the second game to try to hold pocket, but that ball eventually wasn't finishing.

Result: 180-135-146=461
Average (57 games): 173

Composite average (108 games): 176

In a forfeit situation, Barry bowled the best of us, with Donald and Si also picking me up after the first game for all four points.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 01/22/17 08:58 PM

On a night I was hoping to follow up on a good Special Olympics day by my niece, I struggled to put anything together. There were no doubles and I missed a bunch of spares, with my 7 pin more my nemesis than the 10.

Result: 160-154-145=459
Average (54 games): 178
Average for last 9 games: 182

Composite average (111 games): 175

Except for the first game, my teammates picked me up for six points, with both Peter and Ed getting over 500.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 01/25/17 10:52 PM

After struggling for most of first two games, I saw, thanks to a Brooklyn strike, that I could open the lanes up, and that helped me not only finish out the second game, but start the third game strong. My spare game was spotty, and both of my single pin misses were in the first game, but I later converted a washout and a split (the 4-5).

Result: 150-193-189=532
Average (60 games): 173
Next week's AVG+1 score: 554

Composite average (114 games): 175

My 10 pin miss in the 10th meant a tied first game, and we won the other two and total.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 01/29/17 09:16 PM

I had another bad night after working an association event, but this one was at least tempered by a good second game. The two splits in the third game were killer, as they kept me under 500 for the night.

Result: 137-215-147=499
Average (57 games): 177
Average for last 9 games: 170
Next week's AVG+1 score: 542

Composite average (117 games): 175

Peter had the best night of us. Team won the first two games and almost stole the third; the two were won by enough for total and 6 points.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 02/01/17 10:15 PM

My first game was one of my worst recent efforts, but as bad as I was in that game, I was better in my other two to save a 525. I didn't have a game without a split, getting two 7-10s and an 8-10 during the night.

Result: 126-202-197=525
Average (63 games): 173

Composite average (120 games): 175

With Barry sick (meaning no Donald, either) and Si working late, we forfeited, but I still had to bowl for virtual league, if nothing else.
Posted by: wronghander

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 02/03/17 10:57 PM

Had my season high series last night with scores of 253,217,277 for 747. First 700 series since September and only my 2nd of the 2016-17 season. Part of the issue is that I was only bowling in one league up until the start of the 2nd half when another bowler asked me to take his spot in another league so I am now bowling on Thursdays as well as Sundays. With just the one league going on my game hasn't been as sharp as it should be and I was averaging just 210 after the first half where I was at 220 a year ago in the same house.

Turn the page to 2017 and my bowling has gotten a lot better. Through 21 games combined I'm averaging 224. One improvement I've made is getting a lot better at my spare shooting and I've really worked on that in practice. Only one single pin miss through this stretch. Before last night game 1 had been an issue for me because I need to get my speed up, but I took out my Cyclone and figured that would be a good ball to get down the lane without making a huge turn off the dry. I ended up moving in and swinging it out a little bit and stuck with the ball the whole night.

Hoping this trend continues cause I have a few tournaments coming up and I'd like to win one this season. Also going to Nationals at the end of May so I'd like to be at the top of my game going into that so I can give myself the best chance of doing something there.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 02/08/17 10:39 PM

I felt OK about my night after the second game, but then the wheels fell off of the bus with three splits and a couple of other spare misses in the third game, including my only 10 pin miss out of five. I want to say I guessed right about the ball change in the third game, but still left two splits on the right lane.

Result: 146-181-129=456
Average (66 games): 172
Next week's AVG+1 score: 548

Composite average (123 games): 175

I had a chance to win the second game after I doubled in the 10, but sent the shot wide for eight pins and a tie. Opponents won the other two games.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 02/15/17 10:41 PM

Tonight's bowling, frame-by-frame

Tonight may have been one of those "turn the corner" nights because I was actually carrying most of the night, but multi-pin spares were my bane, because I didn't make many of them. The sweetest part of the night was throwing a slow messenger at the 10 in the 3rd frame of the second game, as I haven't thrown a messenger in quite a while.

Result: 204-179-165=548
Average (69 games): 173
Next week's AVG+1 score: 591

Composite average (126 games): 175

We were without Si, but we were bowling four against four, and the opponents that were there were all over average, with my team losing all four. Donald was over his average all three games.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 02/19/17 09:21 PM

I certainly was hoping for more after the first game, and, indeed, it was almost the "reverse century" in the second game, but I did save my 500 in the third game. My spare game could have been better, but I did convert both splits that I left.

Result: 222-123-169=514
Average (60 games): 177
Average for last 9 games: 163
Next week's AVG+1 score: 562

Composite average (129 games): 175

Harry will be subbing for Peter the next few weeks, and Harry's big first game (269) gave us a lead that was never really challenged. We did need the extra two points, and my double in the third game, along with Ed's 206, helped decide it.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 02/22/17 09:57 PM

When it was clear I was pulling shots in the first game, I decided to try to combat it by actually moving my eyes right of the target, and that worked most of the rest of the night. My spare game may have benefited, as well, as I only missed one makeable spare (a 6-10, which I chopped) after the first game.

Result: 170-173-221=564
Average (72 games): 173
Next week's AVG+1 score: 549

Composite average (132 games): 175

In the first game, Donald had his best game I'd ever seen (161), but we still lost it by only three pins, and only won the second game, losing total by seven.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 02/23/17 03:11 PM

When I'm pulling shots it's because of tension in my swing. Instead of moving your target to play the tug, loosen up your armswing and let the ball fall on its own. You'll be surprised at how much easier it is to repeat shots.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 02/26/17 09:16 PM

One of the worst nights of my bowling life, particularly in terms of pin carry and spare-making, but bowling seems to have a sense of irony, as well, as this is the first triplicate I ever remember having.

Result: 127-127-127=381
Average (63 games): 175
Average for last 9 games: 154
Next week's AVG+1 score: 583

Composite average (135 games): 174

I felt like I wasted a big night from Harry (743), but, in truth, we would have only tied the first game if I just made average.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 03/01/17 09:43 PM

I was thinking "here we go again" after two games, but it was a better night than Sunday night, because the potential triplicate was 169. The double 9th & 10th in the third game, however, made sure I actually improved in the third game.

Result: 169-169-177=515
Average (75 games): 173
Next week's AVG+1 score: 556

Composite average (138 games): 174

Team won four forfeit points, with Si having a strong night.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 03/05/17 04:33 PM

Richie, with the game not in doubt, I would have tried for the 4-1 counts in 11 for the Trip.

A while ago, I bowled with a teammate who had 217-217. And, he got a double in the 10th, which gave him 217 at that point without his fill shot. He threw the ball into the gutter for the Trip.

Then, one opponent claimed he was sandbagging. It was a handicap league based on 230.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 03/05/17 09:12 PM

This was really a better night than the first-ball gutter balls made it look, as those were my only missed multi-pin makeable spares on an otherwise good spare shooting night. Lanes were getting fried, so that explains the use of the T-Zone later in the night. As for the first game, I knew my Tropical Breeze would be the ball, but the thumb hole had been feeling loose, so I ran into the pro shop for thumb tape, which I was using for the first time in any of my balls, and that really helped, as the five-bagger showed.

Result: 221-161-152=534
Average (66 games): 175
Average for last 9 games: 158
Next week's AVG+1 score: 577

Composite average (141 games): 174

I had the high game on the pair for the night, which might be saying more about Harry's night than mine; team lost all eight.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 03/08/17 10:39 PM

My spare miss to start the third game actually helped, as it gave me the idea to play outside, and, except for one split that I almost made, I was clean the rest of the night.

Result: 192-133-179=504
Average (78 games): 173
Next week's AVG+1 score: 574

Composite average (144 games): 174

We ran into a hot team tonight, but my strike filling the 10th to end the night was needed for the tie. I think this was the third tied game we've had this half.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 03/12/17 09:03 PM

One of my better nights of the season, which started with the first five. I could have had 600 easily, but I kept shooting myself in the foot after doubles in the third game. There was only one missed single pin, with my left side being the elusive side.

Result: 233-172-186=591
Average (69 games): 176
Next week's AVG+1 score: 586

Composite average (147 games): 174

Harry could have shot 801 with his last three strikes, but left a 10 pin on the second shot and finished with a 789 (287-234-268). Harry's punch-out in the 10th tied the second game, and we won the others comfortably.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 03/15/17 10:30 PM

Except for the end of the first game, I was never really comfortable, and there were plenty of missed spare opportunities. Corner pins, especially, were a problem, as I missed six of those.

Result: 173-140-147=460
Average (81 games): 172
Next week's AVG+1 score: 552

Composite average (150 games): 174

We lost the first game, but I was hoping my punch-out in the 10th that game would pay off for total later, and it almost did, as we won the other two games, but lost total by four pins. Barry (514) was high on the team, and both Si and Jeff were also over average on their nights.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 03/19/17 09:36 PM

I didn't get the start I did last week, but I was at least better in the other two, with my spare game keeping me hanging on in the third game. I had two missed single pins, but one was an unexpected 8.

Result: 125-184-166=475
Average (72 games): 175
Average for last 9 games: 177

Composite average (153 games): 173

Harry's 286 first game proved important, as it kept us close, and we won the other two games by enough for total. Harry finished with a 745.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 03/22/17 02:27 PM

Rich, I will need a sub for next week as I am missing league to bowl Nationals on April 1 & 2. If worse comes to worse, I guess we can use my Nationals team scores if necessary.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 03/22/17 10:47 PM

My night was pretty much saved when I got the idea to play up the track, as I started the third game with four in a row playing that line and hung on for my deuce game. There was no blaming myself for single pin misses tonight, because I only saw four single pins on the night. Of the multi-pin spares, five were splits, one of which I converted.

Result: 189-136-207=532
Average (84 games): 172
Average for last 9 games: 166
Next week's AVG+1 score: 539

Composite average (156 games): 174

Team got crushed in the second game, even with Barry's 212 (and a deuce was a long time coming for him), but we did win the other two to split the points.
Posted by: BowlerBill

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 03/23/17 06:02 PM

I had my first sanctioned 300 today in G1. Knees were shaking somewhat in the 10th - 12th and after I got the last strike.

I got the first 2 strikes in G2 before a couple of 6-7-10 splits and then 5, 10 pin leaves. the wheels fell of the bus for a 175.

Recovered somewhat for a 228 in G3 barely squeaking by for a 703 series.

Now, I need to determine what type of ring to get. I'm not paying $800+ that's for sure.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 03/23/17 06:34 PM

BowlerBill, it looks like your signature needs updating wink

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 03/25/17 05:09 PM

Big congrats Bill! thumbsup

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 03/26/17 09:51 PM

My match had to be moved to the end pair (61-62) because of a breakdown, and the lanes were playing very differently, as I was well left of where I've been playing the last couple of weeks. I had a decent first game, but I was mostly done in by splits in the other two, with three in the second game and two in the third game.

Result: 182-158-155=495
Average (75 games): 175
Average for last 9 games: 173
Next week's AVG+1 score: 600

Composite average (159 games): 173

Harry and Ed both had a 200 game (Harry first & second, Ed third), and with a bowler averaging in (he joined the team that lost Curt Layton), I think we only won the first game.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 03/29/17 10:41 PM

It was looking like a more or less ordinary night for me after two games, but, after a spare to start, everything just "clicked" and I started carrying, going five in a row, single-pin spare, big-ish split, and then two Brooklyn strikes, which loosened me up enough (particularly knowing the game was in hand) to throw the last two flush. The 244 was my highest game in over three years, the last time I had a game that good coming on Sept. 18, 2013, in which I had both a 259 and a 244 in bowling 665.

Result: 161-162-244=567
Average (87 games): 173
Average for last 9 games: 173
Next week's AVG+1 score: 581

Composite average (162 games): 174

My spare in the 10th first game was important, because we won by a pin on the fill. The second game was not as close, and, as I mentioned, the first strike in the 10th meant the third game win, for all four points.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 04/02/17 09:18 PM

My third game was definitely better than my first two, particularly because I couldn't seem to buy a spare in those two. A bright side is that I did better on my splits than usual, converting one (the 4-9) and picking four out of another (Greek church).

Result: 154-146-181=481
Average (78 games): 174
Average for last 9 games: 161
Next week's AVG+1 score: 566

Composite average (165 games): 173

After losing the first game, we won the other two and today, with the third game win coming on Harry's double in the 10th. Harry had a one-open (a 7-10) 761.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 04/05/17 10:35 PM

I only put strikes together twice tonight, and most of my spare misses were the 10 pin, including twice in the 10th. 50/50 on splits, the one I converted being the 2-7.

Result: 196-168-171=535
Average (90 games): 173
Average for last 9 games: 181
Next week's AVG+1 score: 568

Composite average (168 games): 173

Our opponents were all over average, including a 756 by their anchor, and the team lost all four.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 04/06/17 11:25 PM

Pretty sure I saw something last night that I've never seen before- a couple of lanes to our right, a young guy who has shot 2 300s in this league this season went front 10, foul spare for 280.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 04/09/17 09:19 PM

The reader's attention should be drawn to the third game, as it was one of my rare clean games. I had to convert the 4-7-9 in the 10th that game to keep it clean, and, considering how often I ruin clean games in the 10th, I told people I'd take that every day and twice on Sunday. smile

Result: 180-193-190=563
Average (81 games): 174
Average for last 9 games: 171
Next week's AVG+1 score: 528

Composite average: 174

Peter came back to the team after his winter vacation tonight. I was high man on the pair, and the team took all eight.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 04/12/17 09:58 PM

I was only a bit better than perfectly average tonight. There was at least a double in every game, but also either a split or a washout, two splits in the third game. A couple of missed 10s were thrown in, but I did make more than I missed.

Result: 165-188-168=521
Average (93 games): 173
Next week's AVG+1 score: 569

Composite average (174 games): 174

Team didn't have a good night, as we lost all three games by at least 50 pins.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 04/15/17 10:06 PM

I finally shot a 600 today in league where each of the 3 games were over 200. Usually I will have one or two deuces with the total being over 600. Spare shooting helped me today as I wasn't consistently striking. Finding the pocket wasn't the problem, carry was.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 04/16/17 09:15 PM

Tonight kind of went according to form: First game was the high game, second game the low one, and the third in the middle. I had problems with my 10 pin, but I also missed a couple of easier 3 pins.

Result: 193-151-161=505
Average (84 games): 174
Average for last 9 games: 172
Next week's AVG+1 score: 548

Composite average (177 games): 174

Team lost the first game, but, with Ed's 624 with a 245 third game, we won the other two and total.
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 04/19/17 11:47 AM

Mixed bag for the year:

Average: 196
High Game: 266
High Series: 709

Probably my worse season in years. I felt like I bowled okay at times but down overall. My league bowls on the Landmark Rec patterns (Stonehenge, Great Wall of China, Gateway Arch, and Big Ben). They aren't tough by any stretch of the imagination but different than a normal house shot.

Team wise, we won a quarter so we are in the league finals next week. Step ladder. We are the 3 seed so we need to win 3 games to win it. We have over $5700 in our kitty right now. Combined, I'm hoping for close to $2K.

Overall, meh. Going to have 2 new teammates next year. There was a LOT of drama between the 2 that are leaving, a guy who I've bowled with for years, and our PSO. Well, now their PSO. I'm looking for a new one. Again. Bowling shouldn't have drama.
Posted by: SteveH

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 04/19/17 04:21 PM

I've bowled pedestrian for the year, some times horrible. The last several weeks have been my best, nothing hurt too much wink

Best last night on the 47' Scorpion pattern. Went 179-180-189-198

Easily could have been better, missed four ten pins. Most accurate and by far the most consistent speed all season long.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 04/19/17 10:26 PM

I'm mostly happy with how I bowled tonight, but my third game was punctuated by my inability to hit the left lane. I had at least a double four times, counting the four-bagger in the first game.

Result: 205-176-169=550
Average (96 games): 173
Average for last 9 games: 178
Next week's AVG+1 score: 541

Composite average (180 games): 174

In my real league, team won the first game; I'm hoping the 205 is enough to win the virtual league first game.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 04/23/17 09:17 PM

This late in the season, it's a great night when you can raise your average by two pins, and that's what happened tonight. I mentioned my night on 9/18/2013 when I shot the 244 game in Brunswick Mixed a few weeks ago, and this is now my high game and series since then, as well as, of course, my highest game and series in this league. The kicker was that I only missed a couple of multi-pin spares in the first game, and was clean after the 9th frame in that game.

Result: 183-207-248=638
Average (87 games): 176
Average for last 9 games: 189
Next week's AVG+1 score: 615

Composite average (183 games): 174

Unfortunately, Peter had a bad night, but recovered with a 201 third game, which we won by enough to only miss total by four pins.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 04/26/17 10:59 PM

Except for a bit of a "crash & burn" third game, it was another good night. Starting that third game with three open frames was tough to recover from, but I still put myself in position to get my 600 with two strikes in the 10th, but I didn't get one. Second game was clean, and only one open frame in the first.

Result: 192-232-167=591
Average (99 games): 174
Average for last 9 games: 184
Next week's AVG+1 score: 574

Composite average (186 games): 175

Team won second and third games and total, with Barry and Jeff over average, and Donald nearly shooting 400 (390).
Posted by: SteveH

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 04/29/17 10:06 AM

Second to last night of Friday league, I decided that with the temps high, I should bring three balls just in case.

First frame, 9-spare. 11 in a row for 290.
2nd game 243, third was 235 for a 768.

My second 700 series, but first in league.

Yeah, it would be nice to have a 300, but I Really wanted the 800 series. Third frame or so of the last game, I felt something pop in my wrist. I could no longer support the ball or cup it on the backswing. So I just slowed down and rolled softly towards the break. Thank goodness for a house shot right?

But our team, with a combined average of 666, shot 2396 scratch, and 2966 with handicap. That pushes us from 4th to something better, and we beat the first place team in doing so.

Wish this could have been in the VL league as well wink

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 04/30/17 09:29 PM

I feel like I left some pins out there with spare misses, including the 10 pin miss to end my season. It does still feel good to not only hit my +1 again to end the season, but to also improve on last week as my high series in over three years.

Result: 206-199-234=639
Final average (90 games): 177
Average for last 9 games: 198

Composite average (189 games): 175

Team needed to just win one game to secure 3rd place in the second half, but we won all eight, and I was high man on the pair, even with Ed bowling a 255 second game (and a 616 series).

In this league, I improved my average by 13 pins season-to-season, and it might be enough for league most improved. smile

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 05/03/17 10:31 PM

I was over average all three games tonight, but not enough over average to raise either my league or my composite average one more time for the season. The highlight of my night might have been my conversion of the 6-7, which some of my readers may remember I converted when my brother put money against me doing so one time.

Result: 198-177-178=553
Final average (102 games): 174
Average for last 9 games: 188

Final composite average (192 games): 175

My 553 was 84 pins better than the next highest on the pair (Barry), and, with Jeff also having a decent night, we won all four points. I didn't know where this put us, because the next higher match had to be moved because of a breakdown.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 05/08/17 01:08 AM

Nice to see my fellow New Englanders doing well at the end here. Great job Steve on that 290 & 768 and Richie as well on the 639. 553 is not bad either.

It's been kind of a disappointing season for me. Stuck in the 2-teens when I was a 220 bowler the last two seasons and just one tournament cash all year and that was in October. Bowled the state tourney yesterday and started with 693 in singles but went downhill from there, having trouble carrying on a tighter shot than what I get in league (although it was still a house shot so my 693 probably won't be good enough to cash).

Got back to the league shot tonight and it felt like candy compared to what I bowled on yesterday. Was some extra motivation for me tonight because I was bowling against the guy who had the high average in the league and I entered tonight .9 pins behind him. Started strong out of the gate with a 258 opening game and slowed down a bit in game 2 with a 216 (whiffing a 7 pin for my only miss of the night). Game 3 got off to an ugly start with a 6,7,10 split in the first frame, but I was rolling the ball so well that I went for it and was able to slide the 6 into the 7 to pick it up. Threw a hook and had the ball basically break away enough to just clip the 6 on the right side and slide it over. I've made the 6,8 this way multiple times as well but usually whiff it if I'm having an off night. Anyway, finished the night with a 237 for a 711 series. Team took all 8 and my opponent shot 586 which gives me a 1/2 pin lead for high average going into next week's position round.

I don't believe I've been at the top of the sheet for high average at all this year and if I did it was very early in the season so it would be an accomplishment for me to finish with it. Also this center is unfortunately going to be closing this summer so I'd like to go out on a high note at least.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 05/12/17 12:12 AM

Followed up my strong Sunday set with another good one tonight to close out my Thursday league: 257,230,242 for a 729. Joined that league as a 2nd half replacement so only 1/2 season but was trending downward and was averaging just 207 going into tonight (this allowed me to finish at 209.82). Same center but a few different challenges on Thursdays that made it a little tougher such as using additional lanes on one end of the house that play tighter (and aren't used in the other leagues) and issues with not always getting fresh oil or stripped backends. But we did tonight and I took full advantage.

Caps off a good week for me. Not only the two 700+ sets but also won a Pyramid Antidote on Tuesday as well. My teammate has one and I really like how it rolls for him so looking forward to getting it.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 05/14/17 11:58 PM

257+163+194=614 to wrap it up at this house. Got off to a great start but for some reason the lanes started to get really bad in game 2 and I stopped carrying. Ball change made it worse and had a terrible game and got back to the pocket in game 3 but still had carry issues and compounded it by missing a couple of single pins. Wrapped it up in the 10th by striking out which will probably be the last 3 balls I ever throw in that place. The good news is I held on for high average but finished this league at 214.67 and thrown in with the other league average my composite for the season is 212.94. A little disappointing but have my sights set on better results next year.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 06/01/17 08:33 PM

Will be heading out to Vegas tomorrow for sweepers Saturday morning. I haven't done well yet in the prior two trips. Hopefully the third time is the charm.
Posted by: mmalsed

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 06/02/17 11:27 AM

surface! LOL - where are you bowling? Southpoint?

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 06/02/17 01:43 PM

We're at Suncoast. I'm bringing all but the OSW and Panic in my signature block.

Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2016-17 thread - 06/03/17 07:11 PM

We're done, I did OK. I cashed 4th in singles, 1st in doubles, 4th in series and 4th in team. Also won a couple side pots and a bracket. I could have done better but I'm happy with my cut of the spoils.