Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread

Posted by: Richie V.

Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/11/13 04:17 PM

Some of us will be starting our fall leagues soon, so that's why I'm posting the new thread...

Mine personally won't start until after Labor Day, but I'm going to be in the same Wed. night fun league with the same team. I'm just hoping to do well enough to rejoin the men's "A" division in my league next year. smile
Posted by: VFF57

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/11/13 06:19 PM

I'm really glad I took the summer off from leagues. I'm now starting to practice for the fall/Winter with a fresh positive outlook. My goals are to average in the 220's, shoot an honor score and quickly shake off the bad games. I'm not asking for much smile
Posted by: Vic44

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/11/13 10:07 PM

Same here VFF. Needed the time away, both because of cool family events... but also just to take a break and hopefully break some old habits. Would be happy just to get close to my old average in leagues from 3 to 4 years ago.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU! smile
Cheers
Posted by: Tim Gerard

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/12/13 10:48 AM

Greetings all,
Have not posted in quite some time. Thought I would check in.
I did not take the summer off as I did last year. I used the time to eliminate my wrist brace(again...lol) and just work on my timing and getting used to the feel of not having a cumbersome wrist brace on.

Mixed results early, the summer league was not so good...but hitting a nice groove now. Love having a naked" wrist, getting comfortable without it.

By working on my timing issue I had become too mechanical, which made things much worse. Starting to post some pretty good shots of late. I'm more fluid now, not trying to be so technical, playing to my strengths.

Looking forward to the new season after Labor Day.
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/12/13 04:55 PM

I took the summer off as well. I've been doing that for a few years. I'm returning to my normal Saturday mixed league. Our meeting is the 24th of this month and we start the Saturday after Labor Day. I'm hoping to have a full team going into the season.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/12/13 11:06 PM

13 days and counting. Good luck to all the posters as your fall season commences. Cheers!

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/12/13 11:15 PM

This Sunday = Step-Daughter's wedding.
Week from Thursday = Daughter going off to college.. Ft. Collins
The Following Sunday (8/25)= Both Sunday Leagues begin.
<br>
Lord help me.. smile Wish me luck. Cheers!
Posted by: 30 Clean

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/13/13 09:20 AM

Hey all,
Haven't posted in a very long time mainly because I haven't been bowling in a very long time. Anyway, getting back into the game this fall with a mixed league on Thursdays with my lovely wife. I'm trying to decide if I want to join a men's league too but concerned about the time and money committment to 2 leagues.
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/13/13 09:58 AM

30 Clean, welcome back. Good luck in a restart. Have fun.
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/14/13 01:52 PM

I just had my league meeting last night. Looks like it is going to be a fun year. Details.

Brunswick Zone
Homewood, IL
4 man team
$25 a week ($19 towards the prize fund)

I have a pretty good team too. I was 210 last year, my buddy from college is 215, anchor was 230 last year, and the fourth was 215 last year. I am really hoping for a good year.
Posted by: Mkirchie

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/15/13 07:16 AM

I've been taking the summer off from leagues for 4 years now, but I practice every week since I don't practice much at all during the season. I'm excited for the season for a silly reason, my center is in the middle of getting all new furniture and a general renovation of the bowler settee area. I've bowled there for 23 years and lots of seats had large holes in them. My personal favorite repair for the holes was when they cut up old pit carpet from the AMF pinspotters and glued the pieces on top of the seats to cover the holes. I'll get to see the progress in person today when I go practice. Other than that, my whole team is coming back, which is great because we had a fun, successful season last year.

Mark

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/15/13 08:05 AM

Anxious for the season to start. I planned the Summer getting fixed. Mainly, getting operations out of the way so I can bowl. My physical ability is about 85%, but I am going ahead.

I plan to start bowling, only taking 1-step approach, and gradually increase that. But, I will take my time and not force it. Can't do any worse then my 15 pin drop in average from last year. But, I certainly hope I can finish the year, which I couldn't do last year.

My teams are supportive, and will be patient for my return to normal. Good to have friends to bowl with.

Monday is a revamped team with 2 new bowlers. Thursday, is the same team. I will be a sub on Tuesday, as I was last year, but still bowled 14 week of the season.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/15/13 08:39 AM

That's great Dennis. Good luck getting back into it.

Was just asked last night to sub on Fridays. I told him I could do it on weekends when I don't have the kids. Now I am bowling on Tuesdays, subbing on Mondays, Fridays, and Sundays.
Posted by: vdubtx

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/15/13 11:48 AM

Looks like a lot of folks took the summer off, myself included. Looking forward to getting back into the league setting. Have been practicing and getting some coaching. Hope it helps my game.

Will be bowling 2 leagues this year. Decided to step it up and join a couple guys I went to Nationals with in a High Average league. It is in a new house that I haven't bowled much in, but is a favorite in the area with bowlers. We start up the Tuesday after Labor Day and 2nd league starts up the following week.

Hope to get a few more honor scores this year and, most importantly to me, get that elusive 800 series.

Good luck on the lanes all.
Posted by: Joe Bowler

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/19/13 01:07 PM

I decided to bowl two leagues this winter, one a PBAX league on Monday night, and the other a fun mixed league on Saturday night. They should complement each other well. I just hope both centers do a good job of maintaining the lanes. In between, there should be some opportunities to sub in some other leagues along with some tournaments once the season gets started.
Posted by: 56bird

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/19/13 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
I decided to bowl two leagues this winter, one a PBAX league on Monday night, and the other a fun mixed league on Saturday night.

Cool, I got in a PBAX league for wednesday nights, still looking for a second league.

It sunk in for my wife when she asked me, "If you only bowl in one league, how often will you practice?" "About twice a week." "If you bowl in two leagues, how often will you practice?" "About once a week" "Oh".

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/21/13 09:21 AM

Last night was the first night of league. The approaches were down right bad. I couldn't get left of 37 with my feet or I stopped like I was stepping in glue. Inside of 37 was a little better but not much. Shot 187-214-186. First time bowling since mid-April and bad approaches, I can't complain too much. The only issue is that the league is short on teams. We had 14 teams at the meeting, 2 more called on Monday saying that they were in, and only 8 showed up last night. If we have 1 team drop, the league is done. If that happens, we may take a few guys and form a team or 2 on Mondays in my old house. We'll see next week.
Posted by: Doogie

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/21/13 12:40 PM

Starting a mens league tonight and am platooning with my wife on a friday night mixed league this year.

Trying to solidify fundamentals to begin this year and I think I am going to adjust the span on my bowling balls early in the year to make the fit better.

Had a decent summer as far as bowling goes. worked on fundamentals in a PBA experience league and got humbled. Although I did have less of an average drop than some other people in our league.
Posted by: AmpleSound

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/21/13 11:43 PM

Can't believe it's already that time again! I've taken my 1st summer off since I got back into bowling about 7 years ago. Time, money, and tendonitis being key contributors. Hopefully my elbow holds up, only bowled once this summer and shot a 700 so not bad for the time off lol.
Posted by: Dan300

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/22/13 08:38 AM

I'm signed up for 2 leagues (Mon & Wed) and subbing for a couple months in a third on Friday nights. Plus I'm 6th man for a team on Thursday nights.

Looking to build on 2012-2013 where I rolled 7 honor scores (2 299 games, 4 300 games, and 1 800 series) and raised my composite league average 8 pins to 224.

The main place for improvement in 13-14 is in my tournament play. I've had a very weak tournament season this year.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/22/13 08:51 AM

AmpleSound: A couple of guys in my league are using the compression sleeves like Belmo uses. Take a look. They have said that it helps their elbow a lot.
Posted by: Eternal Bowler

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/22/13 09:57 AM

You lucky dogs, you...

My youth league doesn't start until the first Saturday of October, of all the months to start it...brrrr, it can get pretty chilly for sure, unless we're lucky enough to have a few warm days.

Yeah. My goals essentially for this season are to 1) get my average between 140-165, although in the hypothetical circumstance that it's higher than 165, I'll gladly accept it, 2) have a better showing at tournaments...but don't forget #3 and #4 which are 3) to be able to look forward to weekends (hopefully I'll have that down pat laugh ) and 4) to be way more consistent this season.
Posted by: FruitFly

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/22/13 10:23 AM

I'm with Eternal Bowler on this one: You lucky dogs! laugh
My league starts mid-september.

As for the summer: I took the second half off too, and for good reason.
I'M A FATHER NOW!
Time to grow the ne generation of bowlers

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/26/13 11:34 PM

Started league tonight. My rehab has me on target to compete. Had some balance issues and late delivery. Timing was off and I occasionally pulled. I was hesitant on the slide leg but fought that.

Finished with 187-218-217=622.

Strange thing tonight. We have a new bowler who went to the wrong Bowling Center. both are part of a chain, but 25 miles apart. He called wondering where we were. Ha, we weren't lost. he'll be at the correct place next week.

Our other regular smashed his bowling middle finger in the car door
and couldn't bowl. Sent his Brother as a sub. But, we bowled a man short on the first night.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/27/13 08:01 AM

My PBAX scratch league kickoff meeting was last night. We start in 2 weeks. The league decided the patterns will change every 2 weeks, and there will be a position round the second week on each pattern. That should make for some interesting competition.

The pattern schedule includes Scorpion, Wolf, Earl Anthony, Viper, Mark Roth, Cheetah, Masters, Don Carter, Bear, Chameleon, Shark, D. Weber, Badger, USBC Team, USBC D/S, US Open, and TOC.

My fun league already started. My teammates needed to pre-bowl for next week, so I have a break for a couple of weeks to go out and practice.
Posted by: champ

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/27/13 01:01 PM

Tonight is the last night of my summer league. Fall league meeting is September 4th, and first night of bowling is September 11th. After three years of bowling the Monday night league, my team is moving to Wednesday nights at the same center. The Wednesday league has teams that are all pretty close in average, is relatively competitive, has lots of side money action, and has a real fun and friendly atmosphere. I'm looking forward to it. Our old league was starting to be overrun with drunks, no-shows, and handicap whiners.

My primary goal is to have fun and enjoy the game of bowling for what it is; a fun hobby, not a second job. I've been putting so much pressure on myself, I wasn't having much fun at all, and bowling was a frustration, not an opportunity to get out and have fun.

Secondary goals (that are far distant to simply having fun) are to average 210, improve my personal best series, shoot another 300, and win some side money.
Posted by: Fin09

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/27/13 01:28 PM

Our Wednesday league voted in a 4 division format. Teams are drawn at random for the divisions, and each division will send a winner to the overall rolloff. Division winners will be determined by a rolloff of the winners of each third (12 weeks), plus a wild card team which will be the team with the most wins who didn't win a third. So there will be 16 teams rolling off to get to 4, then another rolloff to determine the winner. Division winners will receive $1000/man, and the overall winner will receive an additional $1500/man. We start next Wednesday. Our summer league finishes tomorrow- we clinched that league 2 weeks ago. We have an 18 point lead going into the rolloff (8 point system).
Posted by: wronghander

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/27/13 10:59 PM

I'm going to be bowling in a new league this year on Tuesday nights (well new for me, the league itself has been around for 40+ years). We had the meeting tonight and I actually ran into an old childhood friend who is in the league. Going to be bowling with my doubles partner from the tournament I bowled in this summer, and one of my summer league teammates. It's 4 person teams though so we are still looking for another bowler and will likely start the year with a vacant.

Stuck around after the meeting a bowled a couple of games with my teammates. Lanes were really dry, had a 196 the first game but bowled in the 170s for the final two games. My teammate seems to think they may not oil before this league, which if that's the case will be a challenge to maintain a 200 average. If the oil is the same as the summer league, my goal is to get to a 210 average and shoot a 300 game.

Only bowling the one league but I told the secretary for the Thursday night league that I would be happy to sub. Would have done two leagues if the lineage wasn't so high ($4.50/game and the center doesn't offer any extra benefits to bowlers who bowl in multiple leagues). I'd only have to pay $10 on nights that I'd sub.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/27/13 11:09 PM

The pattern schedule includes Scorpion, Wolf, Earl Anthony, Viper, Mark Roth, Cheetah, Masters, Don Carter, Bear, Chameleon, Shark, D. Weber, Badger, USBC Team, USBC D/S, US Open, and TOC.

Quite a wide variety of patterns...that should only help you, Joe. smile

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 08/28/13 11:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Richie V.

Quite a wide variety of patterns...that should only help you, Joe. smile

Thanks, Richie. Looking forward to the challenge. We picked up a new lefty teammate. Hopefully, our styles and strategies are compatible, and we can help each other along.
Posted by: DudeBowl

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/03/13 10:14 PM

I've always done mixed leagues, but this year a group asked me to join a men's league with them (they must have been desperate). The competition level in this league is well above what I've bowled in. On the first night, I was the only person on our pair of lanes (5-person teams) with any handicap. I'm not sure how I feel about that! I may be in over my head. Seemed to be a good time, though.
Posted by: Smooth Stroker

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/04/13 12:59 AM

Hey Dude, if it doesn't bother them, it certainly shouldn't bother you. Use it as a learning experience. Watch the better bowlers and learn from what they do right. Watch their fundamentals, I'm sure most of them will have tight fundamentals.

I wasn't sure how this season was going to go. I tore my achilles tendon, in May (playing basketball). I was in a hard cast for 2 weeks and a boot for 2 1/2 weeks. I stopped walking with a limp by August. I bowled for the first time since the injury 2 weeks ago. The season started today. I told my teammates no to expect too much. I had to change my game some to adapt to the weaker left foot. I've shortened my approach and stopped sliding and now my final step is a step and not a slide. My ball speed is slower since I moved up on the approach to make me step and not slide. My focus is heightened. My swing is looser. All of this adjusting has improved my game some.

This is a three man league. High average bowlers bowl in this league. I started the night bowling with my Natural from Storm. It's the weakest ball I own besides my spare ball. First frame 4pin spare followed by a 4 bagger. Another 4 pin spare, 6-10 spare then a split, open. I spared the ninth and doubled in the tenth for a 222. I won my match point and the team won the game.

The second game was a nice clean game. 6-10 spare then a 5 bagger. 6 pin spare then double. 6 pin spare and strike in the tenth for a 248. I won my match point and we lost the game by a single point.

Last game I started with a strike. 4-7 spare then a 3 bagger. I got another split in the 6th frame. I doubled then ripped the rack and left an 8 pin. Struck then spared in the tenth for a 207.

677 series. 21 strikes. 10 spares. 2 opens ( splits ). I was playing 12 at the arrows for the first game and a half. I moved out to 13 at the end of the second game. I love that ball. The Natural.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/04/13 09:43 AM

Nice series Smooth Stroker.

Opened up my fall league last night with 195+244+211=650. Lanes were freshly oiled and I was able to stay in the pocket most of the night, making a few ball changes when needed. If it weren't for a whiffed 6 pin in the first frame of game 1, I would have been over 200 all 3 games. Had a six-pack in game 2, and in game 3 was able to overcome opens in the first two frames (washout followed by a pocket 7-9) to finish with 211.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/04/13 10:43 PM

Tonight's bowling, frame-by-frame (Linked to BowlSK sheet)

First game continues to be a nemesis, and if I could ever really figure that game out, I could be deadly. A promising sign, though, is that I was 8 of 10 on single pins, making all of my 10 pins.

Result: 143-180-181=504
Average (3 games): 168
Next week's AVG+1 score: 510

It's tough to judge points on the first night, but I was hopeful of a split; it did look like team won third game, anyway.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/05/13 05:03 PM

Today I joined a league I was in two years ago and really loved. Its called the High Noon Shootout. Its a scratch trios league that bowls on a different modified house shot every month. It adds some variety and some challenge to the experience.

Its mostly all seniors, but not by a rule, just because its midweek day time league. I managed to get on the same team as I was two years ago when we finished third. Its unsanctioned, but only 10 bucks a week. There's no payout at the end, but whatever money they collect on top of lineage goes into a fund for the league champion rings. They're very nice rings, and I wouldn't mind earning one, but some of these old geezers can really bowl, so we'll see how that goes.

Today, on the first day of the league I shot 219, 246, 228 for 693. I've been in an awful slump for six months, and that's the best set I've had since March. I'm pretty happy about it.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/06/13 09:38 AM

Thursday night league started. Competitive, 3-man team, with H2H point scoring. I polished a ball just before league, as I saw 2 other balls gaining friction too early in practice rolls.

That turned out to be a good move, as that ball worked well.

Tried to maintain my balance on my bad leg, and it got better throughout the night. Shot 606, but the real story was our opponents rolled 767 scratch against us in game 3, including a 300.

That's tough to beat.
Posted by: rrb6699 (RayRay)

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/06/13 06:58 PM

i started throwing it harder than usual because i have been working on speed vs. revs where i have a post on that subject. at first i was throwing way too fast for carry and shot 199, 197 then i slowed up and because i threw it so hard the first two games it made it seem easy to be solid at the line. Last game 267.

I may practice throwing it hard in practice because everything happens faster when you do that. it was so easy to focus on throwing it a bit slower but in reality i was able to find the 'correct' max speed for roll and carry. interesting. i will let you know how this works as Saturday i will be competing in the monthly sweeper.

rr

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/07/13 10:48 PM

Started my Saturday mixed league tonight. The full breakdown of how the night went. The first game I lived in the pocket, for a 215. The second game I had a rough stretch of 3 splits, and 4 total opens in a 5 frame stretch. This game accounted for half of my opens on the night. I was able to salvage a 182 by throwing a 4 bagger and a 9 count to finish the game off. The last game was a 188, only two opens, more splits, but just couldn't keep marks strung because of the splits. I finished the night with a 585, which considering I haven't even touched my equipment in nearly 4 months I can't complain much. After two of my bowlers and a bowler from the other team set average, we won 4 of 7 points with handicap.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/07/13 10:55 PM

I joined a third league last night. Its a full house, 40 team mixed league, with a very generous prize fund, that attracts all of the best bowlers in town. Frankly, its hands down Tucson's best league. I subbed in it last year, but managed to get a call from the waiting list to join this year, and I had to do it.

I threw a lot of strikes last night, but also missed so many spares I turned an easy 700 into a 618. I shot 210, 200, 208 and I think I had eight opens. Ouch. BUT, I threw my strike ball as good as I did when I was at my best, so with some practice on spares, I think I'll be posting big numbers again soon. At least I feel confident, which I haven't in a long time.

On to next week.
Posted by: dgordon0408

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/07/13 11:29 PM

Today was the 4th week of my Saturday youth league, we added something new this year with the h2h point system as well as team points, the biggest issue that I have is that it's based on handicap so my entire team which is basically scratch has a terrible time winning points today I shot a 3 open 651 all splits for the opens, I shot 211 with a win by 4 pins, a 248 with a loss and a 192 with a loss, 3rd game I had 2 splits on decent shots and I left about 4-5 tens that game trying every adjustment I could I ended up only winning 2/8 points and we lost all of our team points, were the only team without any handicap and everyone else is over 130 a game. All in all with a bad 3rd week I'm averaging 215 and the second highest average with my team mate being at 217. I hope I can actually start winning some team and individual points so we can make some scholarship at the end of the year. All in all I feel like I'm throwing it good and can't wait till I can move up with the big boys on Thursday nights and start making some decent cash

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/10/13 10:33 PM

221+267+215=703 for me tonight. Was in the zone, first game stayed clean and had a triple and that got me over 220. Second game I actually had the first 6, ball came into the pocket late in the 7th however and I left a 4 pin. Had 9/ in the 8th, followed by strikes in the 9th, 10th, and 11th, and left another 6 pin in the 12th for the 267. Final game started out with 9/ then a triple, but started to cool off after that. Left my first split of the night in frame 8, somehow leaving a 4,6,8. I went for it and actually slid the 6 into the 8 pin, but the 4 remained for my only open of the night. Had 9/ in the 9th, so needed a double in the 10th for my first ever 700, and I got it. The 3rd strike was a piece of cake after that.

Amazing a difference one year makes. This time last year I was excited about getting my first 600.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/11/13 01:22 PM

Welcome to the "700 Club", svengali smile

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/11/13 03:50 PM

Good shootin' sven!

Last night I shot 237, 172, 215 for 624. back to back opens in the second game really slowed me down, but not a bad night.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/11/13 10:07 PM

Thanks Richie & Champ. I hope I can keep this up.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/11/13 10:40 PM

It was another struggle tonight, particularly when my strong balls proved too "jumpy," and when that happened, I balled down to my Hy-Road. My spare game was on full display third game, missing only one (a split, one of six on the night) with only one strike at the end.

Result: 125-147-174=446
Average (6 games): 158
Next week's AVG+1 score: 481

Spares really do win games: The third game point, the game where I was picking up my spares, was the one we won.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/12/13 12:12 AM

Nice bowling Sven.

Second week of bowling started out well. I'm using my Natural since I had to shorten my steps to accommodate for my lack of slide. Everything is now slowed down. So naturally I now have a crazy hook. I was locked in the first game. Hitting my target without much problem. I was playing a straighter line than last week. going over 10 at the arrows. Very straight for me. A whole arrow right of last week with the same ball. I'm not sure it was me adding speed or the lanes being more oily.

I started out over 12 at the arrows. I left a flat 10 pin. after converting I moved right and went over 10 at the arrows. I doubled then left a 7 pin spare. Tripled then another 10 spare. Another triple and left a 3 pin on the fill ball.
247 clean game.

The second game I started out like the first game. I doubled then spared the 10 pin, 6 pin and 4 pin. I then left the 4-7-10 split. My first open. Another 10 pin spare then a strike. in the ninth frame I left another 4-7-10 split. In the tenth frame I switched to my Marvel Pearl to see if I could use it in my present condition. Plus the game was out of reach. Finished with a Strike and another 10 pin spare. I'm playing much deeper with the Marvel pearl. I ended up going over the middle arrow after a little bit of searching.
181 with 2 splits.

Last game I'm searching for a way to use my Marvel Pearl. If I can't keep my speed up I end up in trouble. I make a variety of spares the first 5 frames. Strike the 6th frame then a ringing 10 pin. Strike then leave a designer split. Every non strike with my Marvel Pearl was because of lack of ball speed. I struck the first shot in the 10th then another 10pin.
174 with 2 splits.

4 splits in total and converted all my 10 pins. 602 series. I was still happy. I was accurate, and my release was good. Still working on ball speed. Only opens were splits. I'll take any 600 series' until I feel full strength.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/14/13 04:55 PM

191 (clean), 233, 177 for 601. I had some really carry issues in the first and last game and in game three I missed two easy spares. I need to learn some tricks to manufacture at least decent pin carry when its not there. If you hit the pocket five shots in a row and have one strike to show for it, something's gotta change if you want to be more than an average Joe.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/14/13 10:41 PM

After being sick for most of yesterday and today, I felt I was feeling well enough to go to league tonight. This is the full account of how the night went. I had some issues with 10 pins, leaving 6 on the night and missing half of them. I lived in the pocket, only missing it completely 4 times. I rolled 181, 209 and 179 for a 568. The 10 pins and splits accounted for all but one open and that was a washout. As a team we won 5 or 7 points, losing the first game by less than 20.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/18/13 11:03 PM

I missed an opportunity tonight, as I might have had my 700 if I made my ball change sooner, as it got me back to the pocket in the third game. I still made enough of my spares to not let my second game get too out of hand (and no missed single pins all night...how 'bout that!). laugh

Result: 259-162-244=665
Average (9 games): 179
Next week's AVG+1 score: 545

I can't remember if Brian had a deuce game yet, but he had one tonight in the third game with a 202. Team won all four.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/19/13 02:32 AM

Nice going Richie!

Is that your VL Score too? Sure hope we don't bowl you.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/19/13 09:35 AM

Nice going Richie. Glad we already played your team last week in the VL wink.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/20/13 07:27 AM

Wow, ran into a buzz saw for an opponent, last night. Their low man was 100 pins over average. Another shot 760 and the third shot his first ever 700.

I took 2 H2H points and a teammate won another point. So, 3 points out of 17. Not good.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/21/13 12:37 AM

Very good execution tonight. I shot 206, 223, 209 for 638. I had some strange things happen that slowed the scoring pace down, but I was pleased with how I was bowling. One shot took a nose dive and took the 1-5-8-9 out of the rack. Another shot I took the 6 out of a 3-6-10 spare.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/21/13 09:55 PM

My inconsistent night. I had 7 splits, one of which I converted and my only other open was a 1-2-4 that I hit the pins at the wrong angle and left the 4 pin. I only had 14 strikes but the splits just did me in. I just had a lot of issues with hitting my primary target much less hitting the general breakpoint target. Some shots were wide down lane and wouldn't recover and others were tight and ended up through the nose. I went 168, 177 and 197 still using my 203 book average for handicap. After tonight my new average will be 188. Not the same start I had last season but hopefully I can get things going. I'm hoping some of the issues are just reaction issues and doing some ball maintenance will help. On the upside we took all 7 points tonight.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/25/13 10:14 PM

This was an over-average night that felt more like I was managing a bad night. I had a better night on my multi-pin spares tonight, and that was what really saved me.

Result: 180-176-187=543
Average (12 games): 179
Average for last 9 games: 183
Next week's AVG+1 score: 542

Much of our opponents' night was their anchor putting up a 630, with my team only winning the second game.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/28/13 09:55 PM

This is how the fourth week of the season went down. By the time I arrived at the lanes, got my shoes on and gear out of the bag warm ups were over. Luckily the lanes have been pretty consistent despite me hearing other bowlers complain about them, so I knew basically where I would be playing at. I started with a 210 that had a missed 10 early and then I picked up the 10 on the eleventh frame but I had slid just a little too much and fouled. Second game I had two opens, including my only split of the night for a 188. Last game I ended with 3 straight opens with 2 of them being single pins. Had a 180. I just started missing left with the ball going straight up the lane and crossing over or going through the head pin. I had a 576 on the night and as a team we won 4 of 7 points.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 09/30/13 07:44 AM

My work schedule finally allowed me to bowl last week. Having no regular leagues and practicing way less than once a week is taking it's toll, but I managed 183, 147, 223, 190 on Cheetah.

Started with a sanded Mission which was going well in practice and most of the first game (which started with a couple "stupid" opens) but obviously lost my look. Changed over to my Columbia Mass Eruption and ended up bumping in to 8 at the arrows, not much farther out at the break point. Had a great look with that ball and line, I know it's not "the shot" on Cheetah but with half of us trying to play 3 at the break point and the other half trying to go down 10 as if it were a house shot, this built a nice hold/recovery around 8 and when I saw it I took advantage.

Hope to get some practice in somewhere tomorrow night, and have my game feel a little more ready for Wednesday...

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/02/13 09:49 PM

It was another night of grinding out spares...I just wasn't as successful at it third game as I have been.

Result: 181-187-157=525
Average (15 games): 178
Average for last 9 games: 192
Next week's AVG+1 score: 539

Making spares was enough for my team to get the first two games and total. I was also the high man on the night on the pair.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/02/13 10:46 PM

Second night of Cheetah, rolled 199, 230, 235, 213 for an 877 four-game series. Gets my average up to 202.5 two nights in, I like it.

C300 Mass Eruption, pin over bridge, at 500/2000 abralon (by hand) was MONEY all night long.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/03/13 11:04 PM

Very nice bowling on Cheetah Rick.

Struggled on house the last two weeks but had two strong outings this week. Tuesday night in league shot 222,237,205 for 664. Subbed tonight in my former league and shot 205,204,263 for 672. Was very pleased with my outing tonight especially, not just because of the 263 but also because I was clean 29 out of 30 frames. My only open was a pocket 7-10 split to start game 2.

Made two key changes. One was to stop using a wrist support. Definitely going without it has improved my spare game, since I can bend my wrist back and kill the hook on my left side spares. However I also don't seem to be losing any revs or power on my strike shots either. I think I just needed it as a training tool over the summer, but I appear to be ok without it now.

The other change I made was using loft on drier lanes. We don't seem to get fresh oil before league anymore, so I've had to deal with that the last few weeks. I've struggled with making adjustments and I am very inconsistent when I have to move in and/or project the ball further out. Lofting let me play my same line pretty much the whole night both nights.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/05/13 07:38 PM

My short night. I fell hard during warm ups and banged my right knee pretty good. I tried to bowl but was still trying to combat slide issues, whether mental or real. My knee was feeling better but my foot was hurting and it was difficult to take a normal step so I took myself out for the last 2 games.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/08/13 08:15 AM

Joined a 3-man team classic league last night to take over for a player with an injury. Had a pretty forgettable night for the most part (need to bring something shiny next week!) but I did manage a 244 in a game where a teammate shot 300 and we totaled 820. Being that it was 17 pins better than my personal best three-game series, that was pretty cool to be part of.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/09/13 12:52 AM

I finally had a good night. I shot 239, 215, 263 for 717. That's my first 700 since February, so its good to have the monkey off my back.

I left six 10 pins and had two splits so I could sit and wonder what could have been, but I'm just happy to get where I got.

I finished my Friday night league with a 249, so I'm on a nice little streak right now. Hopefully it goes a lot longer.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/09/13 05:50 PM

Great bowling champ, congrats.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/09/13 10:17 PM

I really bowled better than my score tonight; I just couldn't avoid 9 third game, and missed more than my share of the resulting single pins. My assessment of the night was confirmed by my opponents, who all said I deserved better.

Result: 189-168-137=494
Average (18 games): 176
Average for last 9 games: 173
Next week's AVG+1 score: 540

First game was close, but that was all that could be said for my team tonight, as we lost all four.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/09/13 10:27 PM

bowled better last night. first game, 210. Score was okay, but I was bowling a guy with a 230 average. He bowled horribly. We won the game and I won my point. Had one 10 pin and converted. Second game was nice and clean. 6 strikes in all and I converted the only 10 I had. We won the game and I won my match point. Last game the other team woke up and we were fighting shot for shot. I got locked in and struck in 7 of the first 9 frames. I was ahead of my man going into the tenth frame and the team was slightly ahead. If I struck and spared, I would win my point and we win the game. I threw a 3-4-6-7 split and opened. I lost my match point and we lost the game. 642 series. I did take series point though. Only two 10 pins and I converted both. 19 strikes and 10 spares.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/10/13 07:16 AM

First night of Viper (a condition I've hated in the past). First game was in the low 160's (no surprise), then had a few games all around 199-215, think I finished around 780 but was so disgusted with myself I couldn't hang around to record my actual scores. 780 isn't so bad on sport, am I just getting arrogant? I don't know, I just felt like I wasn't executing all night, timing was off or something... no accuracy and inconsistent power. Every time I needed a hit to advance position, I'd stone an 8 or a 10 or something <shrugs>. Honestly after the first game, with three of us beating up 6, it started to feel and score like a house shot, if the shot had seemed more challenging I'd have been more than happy with 780. Just a nice cap to a crap day. /vent

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/12/13 10:37 PM

The full version of how my night on the lanes went. I struggled through the first half of the first game, with only two marks. The last half I got things together and threw 5 strikes in 6 attempts, and even with punching out in the ninth and tenth frame only managed a 157. That's how it is when you have almost as many opens as strikes.

The second game I had a couple of bad shots, but overall a much better game, cutting the opens down to 2 from 5. Ended with a 198.

The last game, I was able to eliminate some of the bad shots, realize I needed to make an adjustment and was able to stay in the pocket for the most part. I had one open when the ball started to slip off of my thumb during the swing and I gripped it and pulled the shot to the left going after the 8 pin. Rolled a 219 for a 574 series. Unfortunately we only won the last game.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/15/13 07:59 AM

Another tough night for my second night with this scratch league I joined last week, 817 for four games. I'm kind of enjoying this puzzle, carry seems to come and go with no rhyme or reason to it. Think I will start a thread on the subject...

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/16/13 12:08 PM

We had dreadful pin carry lat night, but I never let it bother me like most the other guys on my pair. They start whining in the first game, and I just kept grinding. Shot 194, 214, 207 for 615 and was high on the pair by 55 pins.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/16/13 09:31 PM

This was another night where I couldn't put much together. For the most part, I was still making everything...everything except the 10 pin, that is, which I missed four times (while still making more than I missed). In fact, I fared better when there was more than one pin on the deck.

Result: 183-165-157=505
Average (21 games): 175
Average for last 9 games: 169

Team ended up doing enough to win all four from the vacant, with Carl doing most of the "heavy lifting".

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/17/13 07:53 AM

Bowling 2nd week of PBA Viper last night. 175, 278, 220, 280 for a 953 series. Opened with my Mission in practice, switched to my Berserk (mostly for giggles) before the first game and stuck with it all night. Now own high series, high game (x2) and high average for our little 5-man league, and with a 209 average I'm officially higher average on sport than THS scratch league right now. Also earned an 11-in-a-row trophy the second game (started with an open) which is nice thumbsup

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/17/13 05:38 PM

Way to go Rick, that's a heck of a night. 778 for the back three.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/20/13 08:35 PM

I followed my 615 from Tuesday up with a 619 in my Friday classic league. Very consistent week, but nothing too exciting. I was able to use my new Columbia Disruption, and was very pleased with it. My Tuesday league is in a house with a pattern that works better for skid/flip balls, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it does there.
Posted by: NaSTI

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/21/13 04:32 AM

Well don't normally post here but since getting my Nuball personal bowling ball oven and Innovative Ball spinner my last Series in league were 615, 722, 695, 711, 715, 669. That's in 2 leagues that I'm currently bowling. I'm loving rolling almost new equipment every night smile

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/22/13 09:48 AM

Last night was my third night with the classic league in Glens Falls. 217, 213, 226, 227 for an 883 series. I was struggling a little with finding my tempo for the first couple games, and also having a lot of trouble getting the ball to slow down enough. I figured "It's close enough, let the lanes come to me" rather than balling-up from my Berserk like I probably should have.

Still, all four games were the high game for my team, my THS average at 210 is finally higher than my sport average (209) and high average for the team at the moment.

We ran into a buzzsaw, with one of the other team bowlers rolling a well-deserved 300 game and 1046 series... He's a lefty (233 avg.) and while at first his game reminded me of Mike Aulby I've decided he's more Hugh Miller. Much fun to watch!

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/22/13 11:18 AM

Originally Posted By: RickSchott
Last night was my third night with the classic league in Glens Falls.

Small world Rick. My fiance's family lives in Glens Falls. We go back to visit them once a year, and I've bowled there several times when I wanted to get away from the "in-laws." I think the place I go to is called "Spare Time."

My fiance stands to in inherit a rather large ranch in Thurman, and chances are good we may move their some day.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/22/13 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: champ
Last night was my third night with the classic league in Glens Falls.

Small world Rick. My fiance's family lives in Glens Falls. We go back to visit them once a year, and I've bowled there several times when I wanted to get away from the "in-laws." I think the place I go to is called "Spare Time."

My fiance stands to in inherit a rather large ranch in Thurman, and chances are good we may move their some day.

Used to be part of the "Bowl New England"/Spare Time centers, now it is privately owned, and called Kingpin's Alley. So far I really like the house, good people and with a 211 league average for the Classic league, some pretty good bowlers.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/23/13 09:42 PM

Three missed singles (but only one of those was a 10) in the first game hurt, but hurray for putting it together later, because I only had one split open in each of the other two.

Result: 150-175-200=525
Average (24 games): 175
Next week's AVG+1 score: 545

My strong ending was important, as it enabled us to win the third game by enough to win total by three pins.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/24/13 08:59 AM

Night three on Viper. 843 for 4, I forget the actual games but the highest was in the 220's and the lowest was 203. Barely affects my 209 average, which is less than a pin away from my current house shot average nut One more week on Viper and it's on to Chameleon, Scorpion, or Shark (won't know which until next Wednesday).

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/25/13 08:28 AM

I'm very pleased with my bowling to this point. I've bowled a total of 66 games across 4 leagues in two different houses. My current composite average in all leagues is 228, which is about 5 pins higher than it was last season at this time. The two goals I have for any game: keep it clean and make all my single-pin spares are not quite where I'd like them to be. I'm at 33% clean games (I want to be above 40%) and 84.5% single-pin spares (all my misses have been 10-pins and I want to get this number above 90%).

Scoring wise, I don't have any honor scores yet this year. My highest game was a 289 (front 10) and high series is 753. I have 33 games above 235 and only 5 below 190. Also out of the 22 series I've shot this year I have 11 700+ and only one under 600. Heck, I've only got 5 series under 650.

Overall, I'm pleased. It's been a very good start to the year for me. Gotta keep focused and keep it going.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/26/13 07:01 PM

Friday night, 40 team classic league...last week we were in 10th and swept our opponent. That put us in second, one point behind first, for position round. This week I bowled well, but we got skunked. I shot 245, 217, 219 for 681 using my Disruption. I had two opens, one baby split in both the second and third game. Considering how close the standings were, and the fact that we got swept, we'll probably drop back down to 10th or so for the quarter.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/26/13 10:28 PM

My whole team didn't bowl last week, 3 of us were suppose to pre-bowl due to something we were going to do but never got to the center during the week. A fourth decided to join also go with us an hour before league was to start. I let the fifth bowler know none of us would be there and hadn't pre-bowled and since we would have forfeited all 7 points anyways decided not to go.

This week three bowlers pre-bowled, leaving just me and the fifth bowler from last week there. I was worried about how the speed of the night might have effected me since the other team only had 4 bowlers, but we didn't rush. I couldn't keep track of my night on bowlsk since my table was dead, must have left it on a couple of weeks ago, and I couldn't sign in for some reason on my phone.

I shot games of 203, 181 and 205. I had 3 opens all night, one in each game. Two were splits, while one was a full rack gutter ball that hung up on my thumb and the second shot was wide and didn't make it back to the pocket. The first game started out ok, then I started getting the ball wide, hitting light often then got back to decent shots. The second game was a grind as I wasn't making good shots, or so I thought and kept coming in light. So I decided to make a slight adjustment out and the ball started to face up better. Still didn't like my execution. The last game I missed the pocket once, going through the head pin and leaving a 3-6-7 and only getting the 6 pin. Unfortunately this was in the ninth frame and that open was the difference between winning and losing that game. Even though I struck out in tenth and the game was close going into it, the opposing anchor had the advantage with a spare and a double in the tenth was enough to shut us out as we lost the game by 6 pins. We only one 1 game.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/28/13 10:33 PM

860 for four in my THS scratch league this week. Only bummed because I finished with a 170... was somewhat caught in "tweener hell" and worse than that I lost my tempo somehow. Feels like a missed opportunity, but oh well. Won two plus total, and average went up by a pin to 211, I've had worse nights.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/30/13 12:53 AM

Tonight was a real grind. One opponent was a super high rev no-thumber throwing urethane across the whole lane. Another was an old guy slow rolling a Nano at 500 across the whole lane. Together they completely trashed the lanes. My first 26 frames were clean, and then I opened the last four frames. I shot 200, 203, 159 for 562. I was high among righties on the pair.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/30/13 10:27 PM

I was all over the place tonight; I had a double in each game, but there were just too many bad shots otherwise. I don't want to make it an excuse, but more than a few of us in the building may have been a bit distracted by what was going to take place in the World Series at Fenway Park tonight.

Result: 170-164-156=490
Average (27 games): 173
Average for last 9 games: 168
Next week's AVG+1 score: 523

Pat was the only one of us over average in all three games en route to losing all four points.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/30/13 11:10 PM

Last night on Viper, ended up a little over 780 for 4. I remember when I would have been pretty ecstatic with that result, but I was struggling all night with timing and other issues and felt it could have been MUCH better. <Shrugs> oh well, on to Chameleon next week!

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 10/31/13 10:24 PM

Bowled twice this week, Tuesday in my regular league and tonight as a sub.

Tuesday night had 243, 222, 243 for 708. Was really surprised at how well I did. Lanes were pretty fried from the beginning and there were 2 other lefties on the pair as well. Dealt with a similar lane condition on Sunday in a tournament that I bowled in where I struggled so knew I had to take a different approach. I realized in practice that there was going to be no line to the pocket playing straighter. I just moved in and swung the ball out some more and had a pretty easy time staying in the pocket all night as well. Also was able to stay with the same ball all 3 games (my Sure Thing) which I haven't done in awhile.

Tonight subbed on my teammate's Thursday night team and shot 203, 182, 219 for 604. The team had an easy time winning all 3 games and I had my new DV8 Marauder drilled up so used most of game 2 to play around with my new toy. It wasn't working out too well for me (probably throwing it too fast), so probably could have done better if I just stuck with my Sure Thing, which I went back to in the 3rd game. Also whiffed three 7 pins in the first 2 games which I wasn't happy about.

Originally Posted By: Richie V.

I don't want to make it an excuse, but more than a few of us in the building may have been a bit distracted by what was going to take place in the World Series at Fenway Park tonight.

Glad the Red Sox were able to wrap it up last night or I would have been distracted tonight as well. smile

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/01/13 10:38 AM

Had my best night Wednesday night. Shot 258-245-279-782. The first 9 frames of the 3 games combined I was 23/27 strikes. Struck out the 10th of the third game. Unfortunately the 10th frames of the first two games weren't what I wanted them to be or I would have easily shot 800. Oh well, next time.

I'm now leading that league in average with a 233.xx. Next guy is at 232.xx.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/02/13 10:47 PM

How my night on the lanes went. I could try to blame my later games on the fact that the the oil machine had broke down when they began to oil the lanes, wasn't fixed until about 30 minutes before practice was suppose to start so we only got a fill in shot as opposed to the strip and oil we are suppose to get. But unfortunately it was mainly execution on my part. I did have some reaction issues but on those shots execution was suspect as well. I had games of 203, 175 and 169. I had 5 opens, 4 of them splits and a missed 10 pin. As a team we took 5 of 7 points.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/04/13 10:36 PM

Frustrating night, 843 for 4 in the THS scratch league.

I've been thinking I need to roll something stronger for this house... tried my old Taboo and it did NOTHING, except help me to a slow-ish start with a 188. I switched to my Mission, which wasn't doing a whole lot better at first, but it occurred to me to try and put my wrist in a stronger, more cupped position and see if I couldn't rev it up a little bit... this helped. The guys who were really crushing it on this pair were swinging third arrow at around 14.5mph monitor, and a fistful of revs... I just don't seem to be able to get the ball to slow down that much when the lanes are fresh. Started playing 7-8, finished around 17... wheee...

At least the night barely hurt my average, I guess I shouldn't be so down on it.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/05/13 11:57 PM

I've made some mental and physical adjustments and it has resulted in better bowling. At least for today. I keep my head totally steady. I face my target for the whole shot. Line up everything with my right shoulder. My release is the same, but I'm more accurate.
First game, I had 4 non strikes. A 9 pin, a 10 pin, an 8 pin, and a 10 pin on the fill ball. Every shot was in the pocket. No opens, 237.
Second game, I had three 10 pins and I missed one of them. A 4 pin spare, and 8 on the fill ball, 204. The transition game.
Last game, I chopped one pin off a 3-6 spare. Made two 10 pins, throw in a 5 bagger for a 223.

664 series I felt like I bowled well. Better carry and it could've easily been a 100 pins higher. Oh well.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/06/13 07:34 AM

Been having trouble with an early rotation of my arm. Some days, it's OK. Then, the next day, it's back. Must be a focus problem. I think it's directly related to foot speed. Not only mine, but also, of those who I bowl with. If I bowl with a faster walker, I tend to walk fast too.

Last Thurs, I lead off and followed the opponent anchor, who was a fast walker. I started to walk fast and turn my arm in the back swing rolling a 17x. Between games, I refocused and decided not to watch him. VOILA, 258-268.

It helped our team also who won all 3 games. The last 2 by less then 20 each.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/06/13 10:37 AM

Last night my team bowled the same opponent as last week. These guys are all 150-170 average bowlers, and all four of them hook the whole lane. One of them is a young thumbless bowler who uses urethane and plastic balls. One is an old guy who slow rolls a very dull nano across the whole lane. The four of them were spraying crap all over the place creating a lane condition that was dead tough.

Last week I got to 562 against them. This week I shot 231, 178, 158 for 567. I've lost five pins from my average in two weeks against these guys. I hope we don't meet again.

The good news is we did sweep them two weeks in a row.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/06/13 10:11 PM

Tonight's bowling, frame-by-frame (Linked to BowlSK)

My 665 third week is starting to look like "fool's gold", because I haven't really had a decent week since. The only thing I could seem to do right consistently tonight was make the 4-5, and I had the leave twice, once with the 7 pin in it, as well (I managed to make that one). About the only thing I haven't tried is my weaker balls straighter, but I don't know when I'm going to be able to get practice time before next Wednesday.

Result: 170-152-156=478
Average (30 games): 172
Average for last 9 games: 165
Next week's AVG+1 score: 534

It was another week with no points. With Carl absent, Berta and Pat were the only ones on the team with a game over average. One of my opponents did mention at the end of the night that the lanes seemed tough, so perhaps I'm being too tough on myself.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/06/13 10:43 PM

841 for our first night on Chameleon. Had the NUT in practice, playing with just a little swing at about 11 at the arrows. Decided I'd better move right (1st arrow) before I burned that up, and liked that even better! I was using my Storm IQ Tour Pearl, started with it for giggles and didn't feel the need to change out of it for most of the night. As often happens to me with Chameleon, I got confused by the options available (played anywhere between 1st and 3rd arrow) but I can't complain, this was my best "first night" with a new pattern this season.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/10/13 08:54 PM

After working for 10 hours yesterday I was able to make it to bowling. I thought about not going but did anyways. I actually was going to try to pre-bowl as the job I was doing was originally scheduled to start at 1 PM but things changed. Now I'm wishing I didn't. My first sub 500 set of the season. The first game was horrible execution plus the ball just wasn't reacting the same as it did in warm ups. Finally made a switch to the Hy-Road late from the Misfit, but still had to get lined up. Again I think it was still execution flaws and I had to adjust to be able to hit the pocket. A measly 147 game with twice as many opens as strikes.

The second game after figuring things out late the first game started out great, 4 of 5 strikes in the first five frames and the one non-strike was a solid 9. After that things became a little erratic, going light a few times. Rolled a 190.

The last game I struck 4 of 5 times on the right lane, which I started on. The ninth frame I didn't strike but that was due to a huge execution blunder where I bent my elbow and probably chicken winged the shot. On the right lane I just couldn't get anything going this game. The first shot on that lane was probably me best shot of the night, the 8 was tilted a good bit by sat back up somehow. I had a few bad shots on that lane but even when I did get a nice solid pocket hit just couldn't carry. I finally threw a strike on the fill ball for a 161 game.

As a team we only won the second game.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/11/13 10:06 PM

Scratch league, 800 for 4. Gah. I will figure out how to score in this house but it won't be tonight...

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/13/13 12:05 PM

I had a decent night in my Monday fun league. I shot 257, 200, 180 for 637. I had a few opens at the end of the last game that cost me a good series, but I won't complain.

I've been using my new Hy-Road Pearl lately, and now that I'm getting familiar with it, I can tell its going to be a real winner in at least one of the houses I bowl in. It gets down the lane real easily, but is still very smooth on the backend, and doesn't seem to roll out as easily as some of my more skid/flip equipment. I'm impressed thus far.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/13/13 10:37 PM

I thought to try a weaker ball tonight (my Fast), and it seemed to work well, as when I was dead in the pocket, it usually carried, but I'm still struggling with inconsistency. I think I did pick up on how one of my opponents was releasing the ball, and that helped me at the end of the third game. A bright spot: Missing only one of 12 single pins (the miss was a 4 that I left outside of my mark).

Result: 151-144-172=467
Average (33 games): 170
Average for last 9 games: 159
Next week's AVG+1 score: 514

Team won the first game, and we were only down two pins for total after two games, but couldn't win the third.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/14/13 09:15 AM

2nd night of Chameleon, shot something in the 790's for four. I guess when you're in a slump and something is "off", but you can still average close to 200 on sport, it could be worse. Was really determined to play inside last night even though I felt my best chance to score would be something shiny out towards the lip more. I had my reasons...

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/14/13 11:01 PM

Bowled twice this week. Tuesday in league struggled somewhat with games of 168, 205, and 182 for 555. Our center brought in brand new pins 2 weeks ago and I've been struggling with carry. Leaving a lot of corner pins and it's not helping that I've been inconsistent with making my 7 pin spares either.

Tonight I subbed in the Thursday night league and shot 211, 196, and 223 for 630. Really happy with those results. Had to shoot a lot of spares with the new pins, but I was much better at it tonight. Converted all but one of 7 pins and I also converted a 6-8 split as well. Lanes were pretty dry and a lot of bowlers throughout the center were struggling to stay in the pocket, as was the other lefty on my team.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/15/13 08:09 AM

Started the second third of league season last night. Bowled h2h against the Center Mgr. Won 2 1/2 points as we tied the final game at 245. 226 and 182 were the other 2 games.

It was fun in game 3 as both teams went the first 4 frames with all strikes. We were evenly matched as teams, and it showed as we split with 8 1/2 points each of 17 total.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/17/13 09:25 PM

After a long week working all sorts of hours I finally made it to Saturday night and league night. I forgot to charge the tablet once again, and hadn't been able to get my phone charged enough to track everything on bowlsk. Started the night with a 156. I just had issues making a decent shot. I was grinding it out with spares, having only one open through the front 8. That was a gutter ball that I just pushed too wide and slid into the gutter. I then missed back to back single pins in the ninth and tenth frames.

The second game I thought I was making good shots but wasn't getting the ball reaction I thought I should have been getting even after a switch to a more aggressive ball. I threw one or two good shots with the Hy-Road and then started coming in light again even while making moves to the right. Finally late in the game I moved far enough right to get flush in the pocket and salvaged a 190 game.

The last game I just got better rolling a 222 to finish with a 568. This game I threw another gutter ball after the ball glanced off of my ball side leg and headed toward the gutter after a four bagger. I'm not sure how many games we won. I know we got the last game and definitely lost the first game.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/18/13 10:26 PM

832 for four, not much to see here. No great games, no horrible games... at least I had a usable ball reaction for a change. Have to get used to rolling the ball more up-the-back and hopefully we'll see some improvement.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/20/13 10:52 PM

My spare game wasn't quite where it needed to be tonight, but I was better on first ball tonight, so, overall, it was a step in the right direction. I had two games over average and was just under in the other game, but, on my league's "Turkey Shoot" night (cash prize for most over average in each division), I don't think I was enough over average (though it was my third such night this season to date) to win men's "B". I might be OK for brackets, however.

Result: 181-163-194=538
Average (36 games): 171
Average for last 9 games: 164
Next week's AVG+1 score: 528

Team lost the first two games by over 100 pins each, but we did win the third game by over 100.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/21/13 09:54 AM

Had a nice consistent league night 192-190-192. Good shot making overall, carry seemed to be down for all team members. lost 38 out of 45 points as a team but I won my 5. Almost makes up for a week 3 weeks ago where I lost my 5 and as a team we lost 8.5 total.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/23/13 08:15 AM

Been feeling good about my game. My knee feels about 100%. Timing and balance are coming around, but slowly.

So, went into Thurs league with confidence. Things worked and started with 247. Things continued until the 7th of game 2 when I noticed an increase in speed and a tug in my arm. Still finished 232 with an open 10th.

Then, everything went at once. In trying to slow my speed, I screwed my timing. My balance was off, falling off at release. I started to rotate my hand. And, no matter what I tried, I couldn't correct it til the 10th frame, getting a double - 9 and finishing 137.

Don't know what happened. But, will practice tomorrow to figure it out.

PS: my first 2 games were the only 2 points the team won out of 17. What a horrible night!

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/23/13 10:46 PM

This is how my night went as recorded on Bowlsk. It took twelve weeks but I finally broke the 600 series barrier for this year. Midway through the second game last week I realized I might have to play the lanes a little more direct and from the outside. I'm not sure if it's the pattern, the weather or my balls just not reacting the same, which from outside seem to be coming back pretty good. After the first two games a 700 wasn't entirely out of the question but a 660+ should have been easy. I only had two opens the first two games, both in the first game and was sitting at 459. The last game brought me down though. I dropped from 224 and 235 to a 175 for a 634 total. The last game I just had a lot of issues with the thumb hanging up. I removed a piece of tape, well two by accident but put a new piece back in because it felt like the thumb was a bit loose without it. Unfortunately I kept hanging up still and just was too stubborn to take that piece back out again.

As a team we did sweep all 7 points. The first game we won by over 200 after making up the handicap. The second game was tight coming down to the anchors. I could have locked it up with a couple of strikes, but went light on the first ball. The opposing anchor needed to throw the first two, but only managed a the first strike. The last game despite my lower game we had locked up before I stepped up in the tenth. Over all as a team the 4 of us that showed up out of 5 tonight did pretty well with my 175 I think the only score under average.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/27/13 07:57 AM

I made a small adjustment on my approach and it worked wonders. I just made sure I had a good tilt with my body. putting my head over my right foot and leaving it there for the whole approach. First game I had 8 strikes total. I left a weird 3-4-10 split in the 7th frame. Otherwise clean consistent game. 236. I won my point and we lost the game. Second game, I started with a 2-10 split and whiffed. I picked it up afterwards with 8 strikes and a 235. We won the game and I won my point.
Last game I again had 8 strikes and I missed a 10 pin in the second frame. Finished with a 236. I swept my points but we lost the last game.

I was playing over 15 out to 7 at the break. Using my Reign of Fire. Took it out to help me hit the pocket more consistently. Less over/under. It seemed to work out well. I was very happy with my adjustments. Finished with a 707.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/27/13 10:28 PM

I was a little more consistent tonight, but always one bad game in there, it seems. I was over average largely on my spare game, but I still missed three 10s, which, how the night went, cost me 19 pins in count.

Result: 188-186-160=534
Average (39 games): 172
Average for last 9 games: 171
Next week's AVG+1 score: 552

Team won three of four, with Pat being over average all night; however, I needed the first strike in the 10th third game for the other point and threw a bad shot.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/27/13 11:14 PM

Started our last night of Chameleon with a frustrating 195 game and a soul-crushing 178. I really wanted to pack up and leave but I figured "Hey, I paid for the games". The work I've been doing to my timing and swing tempo finally started making some sense, had the first 9 in the third game and finished that game with a 277, fourth game was a 213 (was a little slow to adjust to transition, kept moving left but kept leaving 4 pins!)

Turned a terrible night into an average-booster, I'll take it!
Posted by: Fin09

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/29/13 01:41 PM

Won the smallest tournament I've ever bowled last night. 5 game sweeper, shot 207, 245, 279, 236, 237 for +204. Took 4 of the 5 high games, and won by over 100. 4 guys bowled, and what kills me is that the center ran a no tap tournament that started 1 hr after we did, and there were at least 6-8 guys bowling that instead of the sweeper. And to top it off, one of them, who I'm friends with on Facebook, posted that he won the tournament that they held. Didn't specify that it was the no tap tournament until someone asked him about it.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/29/13 06:58 PM

yeah i know a few guys who do the same thing. they text me scores and games they bowl. one guy sends me huge scores for him. i know they have to be no-tap scores. sometimes i ask him if they are no-tap and he'll say yes. other times i just tell him, "Great bowling!".
another guy bowling on one of my teams is a pit. he tells me of his scores up to an until the league which are on par with 800 most of the time. however, in league he can't average 170. i just tell him great bowling again. ya gotta have all types....
RR

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/30/13 10:41 AM

The guys I love are the ones that only come around to "see how you are doing" when they already know they had a higher score.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 11/30/13 10:49 PM

How my night went as I recorded on Bowlsk. I was able to scratch up a second 600 set after last week's but just barely with a 606. First game I stayed clean with a 214, well until the fill ball that I guttered after over correcting for the previous shot where I didn't have my slide foot centered under me at the line.

The second game I started out badly with 3 opens in the first 4 frames. I was able to salvage a 188 by throw a 4 bagger and turkey to end the game. Unfortunately those were split up by a split.

The last game again I was a little shaky to start off, but more of the not striking or even throwing dececnt shots but managing spares for the most part. I finished the last seven frames with two turkeys broke up by a 4 pin that I missed.

As a team we won 5 of 7 points, easily taking the first game by over 100 after making up the 80some pins of handicap. The second game was a bit closer and could have went either way going into the tenth but my third bowler was able to lock it up for us with two left to bowl on my team and only the anchor on the opposing team. The last game, with the way things ended up, that missed 4 pin in the ninth was the difference between winning and losing as we lost by 7 pins after I punched out in the tenth.
Posted by: lmfcoa

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/02/13 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
Been feeling good about my game. My knee feels about 100%. Timing and balance are coming around, but slowly.

So, went into Thurs league with confidence. Things worked and started with 247. Things continued until the 7th of game 2 when I noticed an increase in speed and a tug in my arm. Still finished 232 with an open 10th.

Then, everything went at once. In trying to slow my speed, I screwed my timing. My balance was off, falling off at release. I started to rotate my hand. And, no matter what I tried, I couldn't correct it til the 10th frame, getting a double - 9 and finishing 137.

Don't know what happened. But, will practice tomorrow to figure it out.

PS: my first 2 games were the only 2 points the team won out of 17. What a horrible night!

Glad to hear the knee is feeling better Dennis. Where/when are you bowling these days?

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/04/13 10:12 PM

As I noted on BowlSK, this was really my most consistent night of the season to date. Through the third game, I was matching my fewest open frames ever in a series until I chopped consecutive 6-10s on lane 25. Until then, I had only missed a 4 pin and a light split (the 4-5) in the second game (first game was a clean 208).

Result: 208-190-171=569
Average (42 games): 173
Average for last 9 games: 182
Next week's AVG+1 score: 547

For my teammates, Brian's 176 first game and Pat's 168 third game stood out; we won the first two games and ended up tying for total for 2.5 points.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/05/13 11:04 PM

Subbed in the Thursday league and finally put together a decent night: 180,226,202 for 608. I have been trying to make some serious changes in my game (mainly moving up on the approach and slowing down my ball speed) and have been struggling over the past month; seeing my league average drop 7 points. Struggled in the first game but as able to make good shots in the 2nd game and started to put strikes together. Third game was more of the same but did leave a pocket 7-9 and later left a 4,7,10 which prevented me from being in the 220s or higher. Still, I feel I'm rolling the ball more consistently now (instead of the grip it & rip it approach I had before) so it's a step in the right direction.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/07/13 12:25 AM

Thursday in league wasn't horrible. I started slow and adjusted. First five frames consisted of 4 spares and a 6-10 whiff. In the 5th frame I made the 3-6-7-10 split. That gave me the boost I needed. I finished with a 5 bagger and a 4 pin spare for a 220.
Second game I started well with a double and then the lanes changed a bit. I nine spared the next 3 frames. After a strike came a split. I finished with a 192. I felt like I needed a ball that would get me more length and a bit more backend.

Game three I took out my Marvel Pearl. moved in a bit and then opened with a double. After a poor shot left three middle pins, I didn't convert the spare. Nine spare then I struck. Whiffed on the 10 pin then got a 4 bagger and an 8 spare for a 211. I won all of my points. My team split the points 15/15.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/07/13 11:32 PM

A consistent night for once as I recorded on Bowlsk. It seems like I've been getting my game back together some, now posting 3 600+ series in a row. Tonight though was probably the most consistent set of the season. Started out the night with a split for an open but kept the first game clean after that for a 206. The second game I missed a 10 pin when I drifted to the left and got the ball wide, but again was clean other than that. Rolled a 215. The last game, even though I had one more strike than either of the previous two games, a total of seven this game, I had two opens, one the 7-10 split and the other chopping the 5 off of the 5-9. I ended that game with a 192 and a 613 total.

I think the night could have been better but I was having an issue where the ball would come off of my hand just slightly angled toward the head pin when I was trying to go straight up the boards. Sometimes it would hold flush, other times running in a bit high. I don't think it was oil depletion in the heads making the ball hook early as some shots I was getting projected up the lane like I wanted to. It might have been my set up or maybe a slight early turn of the hand but either way it cost me some pins.

As a team we won all 7 points again, hopefully making another jump the standings as we moved up from 30something to 19th in the last few weeks before tonight.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/09/13 08:33 AM

I have been bowling in an every other week Saturday league. I have 3 good friends on a team that can't find a fourth bowler, as it must be a female. I don't qualify for that, but they have been letting me Pace with the team, as we are all good friends.

One friend is the highest average and has the highest game and series in the league. I have bowled twice before and had 1 decent night and another stinky one, as did everyone that night. I know a lot of the other couples in the league, as I coach many of their children in the HS Jr. leagues at this house. 4 of the boys and 3 of the girls who start on the HS team came from my program.

Well, I looked at the stat sheet in the afternoon, while sitting in the pro shop, and the pro shop guy mentioned that I should be the top bowler in the league. I hadn't paid much attention to the stats, as I don't count. but, for some reason, the Stat Sheet had my name on it as a Pacer, with my average for that team. Jokingly, I said that I would take care of that in league.

So, league started. My team gets there early to get a head start on the low price of buckets of beers before 7 pm. I had my usual large water with 2 slices of lime. We got to talking and completely lost track of time. Then noticed the lanes came on for practice. I still had to put my knee brace on and missed practice shots.

So, I just relaxed and without any warm up or practice rolled the first 7 strikes. A little tug to leave a 4-7. Then, ran the sheet for a 278. The second game started with a light hit, leaving a bucket, which I chopped, followed by a bad ball split. But, I recovered for a 205.

The third game was steady and could have been higher as I left a solid 9 pin / and another 8 pin / in the middle of strings of strikes. Finished with 235.

719 is now the high series for the league and my 278 is the high game. While having fun, I had accomplished my goal of setting the highs in those categories. I didn't recalculate the average, but it should also be close to the top.

Fun and satisfying bowling night… even though my scores don't count.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/09/13 01:06 PM

Bowled ok this week. Low 600's on wednesday and a 500 on the dot on friday. I am having a tendancy of missing my mark to the inside lately, I think I may be tugging but need to figure out why.

Still having an issue with widely different results in two houses two nights apart. I think it may be mental at this point. I seem to be able to only put up good scores in one house per week, would make more sense if it was consistently one house but it seems to flip flop so my average is consistent between the two.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/11/13 06:40 PM

It looks like I'm starting to hit my stride for the season. Each year I start a bit shaky, and as the seaosn progresses, I seem to be more calm on the lanes, have more focus, am less worried about score, and obviously bowl better.

This week I shot 207 (two opens), 228, 224 (both clean) for a 659.

Over two league I'm averaging 212 for my last 15 games. That's where I'd like to see myself at the end of the season, and that's doable in one league, though I may have dug too deep a hole early on in the other league.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/11/13 10:37 PM

I was looking pretty decent through two games, but then the wheels fell off of the proverbial wagon, particularly when I missed a move in, and then throwing a bad shot when I finally did. I still ended up with the high game on the pair (second game), and was over average for the fourth consecutive week. I probably wasn't high enough over average for a prize, though, because this was the league's "Christmas Bowl" night.

Result: 174-227-138=539
Average (45 games): 173
Next week's AVG+1 score: 530

The second game point was the only one we won. Brian had his first two over average, but couldn't maintain that in the third game.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/13/13 08:35 AM

My thurs nite team is better then our record. Our season is cut in thirds, and we ended up 6th for the first third. Since then, we have bowled 3 weeks and we have won 2 pts, 2 pts and last night, 3 pts out of 17 each night.

We bowl head 2 head for points, with cap. Last night I had 273 and lost to 276. Then, I bowled 243 and lost to 246. I was demoralized in game 3 and got blown away to lose all of my points. I had 20 pins cap based on 90% of 230 while my opponent had 10 pins. I shot 640 scratch against my opponent's 720 scratch.

So, we are in last place with 7 points out of a possible 51. Don't know if we could recover from this start.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/14/13 10:13 PM

I started the night out in my Saturday mixed league with a 141. I had three opens and no strikes that game. I tried two different balls, Misfit and Hy-Road and moved some. Some shots weren't executed well and those I thought were good and where I wanted them to be under or over reacted. I just couldn't get flush in the pocket after the first three frames.

The second game I decided to give my Triton a shot. After a frame or two I found I could work with it, rolled a 215 this game but I had some shots I didn't like. I think at one point I carried back to back Brooklyns. I stayed clean after an open in the first frame. The third game only had one open, a 7-10 split, my second of the night. I had several shots that never made it back to the headpin. I'm still not sure if it was execution or something with the lanes as a couple of bowlers on the other team had similar issues at times.

For the full break down here is My Bowlsk.

As a team, our run of winning 19 points of the 21 over the last three weeks came to an end as we lost all 7 points. One bowler pre-bowled for my team and we had to take absentee scores for two others. One was in a car accident earlier this week and and a sore/stiff neck still and the other was sick. We were sitting in 14th place going into tonight and could have dropped as far as 28th after tonight but I don't think that happened. We have two weeks left in this half.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/16/13 01:07 PM

Some stats from the month of November:

Games bowled: 39
Average: 225
Highest series: 814
Lowest series: 598
Highest game: 279(3)
Lowest game: 175
Games with 9+ strikes in a row: 2
Games with 11 strikes in a row: 1 (277)
Single pin leaves: 106
Single pin spares: 95 (all misses were the 10-pin)
Clean games: 13 (33%)

Notes:
* Received a tip from a big name coach to start my pushaway after my first step; it's helped tremendously
* Shot my first 800 of the season (814) and third of my career
* Had my first 11 strikes in a row game of the season

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/17/13 06:52 AM

Been slacking on posting up here. Last night at THS scratch league I went 214, 268, 180, 252 for a 914 series, last week was 203,236, 202, 262 for a 903. Mostly rolling Goldie. I like the trend.

Last week was my first night on Scorpion. It didn't seem to play like Scorpion... felt more like Chameleon or Viper (or some evil mix). 780 for 4, I guess I can live with it.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/18/13 09:54 PM

I sometimes forget I'm decent at changing speeds, and I recognized late that that was the adjustment needed in the third game, though it did save my game once I could throw slower, but good, shots. The second game I'll blame on the splits: I left all four I had on the night in that game.

Result: 189-142-192=523
Average (48 games): 173
Average for last 9 games: 181
AVG+1 score for Jan. 8: 529

Team lost all four. I had the high two games on the pair, but, because of my second game, not high series on the pair.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/19/13 11:51 PM

Bowled twice this week. In my regular league I had 197, 221, 181 for 599. Really not happy about missing out on 600 especially since I threw a bad shot on my final ball of the night for a 6 count. Haven't bowled over 600 in this league since the last week of October when I shot 708, fortunately a couple of 590 series has allowed me to hang onto a 200 average going into our two week break. When we come back we'll be bowling for first place in the position round and we are currently tied with the team we'll be facing. With the way the points work, whoever wins total will win the half. Our team has another 200+ bowler and the league is handicapped 90% of 200, while our opponent has lower average bowlers, so we really should be favored to win this.

Tonight was asked to sub and had 197, 210, 223 for 640. First game struggled with carry but got a late double and made all of my spares. Like Richie I also adjusted my speed throughout the night. My normal speed is ~17mph, but really needed to roll the ball ~15.5 to strike on the fresh pattern. Was able to put some strikes together in the 2nd game, but still quite a bit of variation with my speed so have to keep working on that. In the 3rd the lanes broke down enough where I could throw my normal speed and ended up with 8 strikes in the last game (two sets of 4-baggers). Had only two opens on the night, both were 4,6,10 splits. I guess all of this "practice" I've had shooting at spares the last two months has paid off.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/20/13 01:12 AM

Well, not going to report on my bowling tonight. I had a modest 608. Our team lost 2 of 3, So, that was uneventful. The real story came from other bowlers who we didn't face.

The House runs a Strike Pot. $1 entry, and you have to get 12 strikes in the 12 frames designated over the 3 games bowled.. And it ain't that easy, needing the very first ball strike in game 1. Then, you need to strike out in the 10th of game 2. And, then 4 strikes in game 3 in a row in 6-7-8-9. The other strikes are randomly placed in the 3 games.

The pot has been running for about a year and a half and was up to $5950 at of the start of the night, as it has rolled over each night without a winner. That was until tonight.

and, the one I was watching was my head to head opponent. He rolled 267 in game 1, and followed it with a 289. Importantly was he had the strikes in the correct frames for the strike pot, and continued until he needed the 4th strike in a row in the 9th of game 3. When he got it, we all gave a shout, as we thought he won the $5950. Then, 2 lanes over, there was another loud shout. Sure enough, another bowler also got the Strike Pot. Ha, runs for a year and a half, and the winners split.

But, wait, another shout came from the other end of the league. Yep, a third winner in the same night.

Strange as it may seem, the pot had to be shared by the winners. Congrats to them, but it certainly wasn't what they expected.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/20/13 11:42 AM

I had a bit of a frustrating night on Monday. I could hit the pocket with every ball I had, but I just could find or manufacture good enough reaction to string anything together. I had a lot of strikes, but most of them would be followed by a flat 10, then a ring ten, then a strike, then a blower 7, on and on and on. Only one open (a 2-4-10) but only managed 610 on games of 217, 188, 205.

While disappointing, it was still much better than last Friday. We won't talk about that...
Posted by: Rocket Jr

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/21/13 08:42 PM

Great finish to my Saturday Youth league today,251,279,268=798
Two pins shy but since I have went to the Byte, Hy-road combo my confidence is sky high. Today was first game through 9 of the second game Byte, new I was going to have to change to the Hy-Road since I was chasing the oil went ahead and changed the 10th and struck out then finished last game with the Hy-Road.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/21/13 10:18 PM

Great bowling Jr, you're on fire lately.

I had a good, consistent night last night. 222, 226, 220 for 668. I had a couple splits that kept me from trying for 700, but I was clean on non-split spares.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/21/13 11:31 PM

Well I rebounded from last weeks 549 with a 628 this week. Unfortunately I didn't really bowl as good as my score reflects. I had 4 Brooklyn strikes on really major misses inside. What helped me though was grinding it out, and not letting bad shots get to me. I only had 3 opens on the night, 1 a split, 1 a chopped multiple pin spare and the last was a gutter first ball without getting the full rack. That gutter ball actually was the start of the night. I went 209, 202 and 217. The full break down of my night.

Unfortunately, as a team we only took two points.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/24/13 06:07 PM

No VL this week, so I'll post on here. Started with my Meanstreak, but had trouble matching to the lanes. 3 frames in, and I switched to my Exodus Pearl, but it didn't carry. So, in frame 7 I switched to my Xtreme Damage. It always gives me a strike on my first ball. And, this was no exception. In fact, I finished X 9/ X X X X, to salvage a 204. Second game was very consistent with a 254 and I finished with a 246 for a 704 series.

The XD is a lot stronger, but still a pearl. Of late, it has started to hook up earlier then it used to. But, I liked the look of this ball on the lane condition. Haha, a 6 y/o ball tames the lanes.

Feeling good about my knee that was operated on in July. It has taken some time to fully mend, and I am finally getting some bend at the release. I am fully confident in the knee and that makes a huge difference in my game. I started in the league in August at 184. But, for the past month have been averaging about 225-230. It's all coming back.
Posted by: BOSStull

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/25/13 06:51 AM

Good to see your knee has mended and you are bowling well again Dennis. You need to use your XD more often. Sounds like the XD is acting like my YB (same core) which is not a bad thing. Merry Christmas Dennis.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 12/29/13 04:39 PM

This is how my league session went last night. Somehow I managed to shoot a 611 with 9 opens. Two of those opens were in the eleventh frame after a strike in the tenth. The only way I managed to roll games of 198, 219 and 192 was by rolling a 4 or 5 bagger each game to make up for averaging three opens a game. My spare percentage was miserable, under 50% on makeable spares and under 40% with the splits. As a team we won 4 of 7 points. We won the first and last game but lost the middle game by enough to lose total.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/01/14 04:37 PM

For the month of December:

League games rolled: 21
Composite average: 226
High game: 277
Low game: 180
High series: 715
Low series: 610
Number of clean games: 9 (disappointing)
Number of single pin spares left: 44
Number of single pin spares made: 41
Number of games with 9+ strikes in a row: 1 (11 in a row)

Notes: My biggest goal this year is to make every single pin leave that isn't a 10-pin. So far I'm set to accomplish that goal. I've left 312 single pin spares and made 272 of them for a 87% conversion rate.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/04/14 11:26 PM

Tonight I put in a lack luster performance on the lanes. This is how it all went down. When you make less than half of makeable spares and leave 6 splits it tends to be like that.

I started with my Misfit as it seemed to have a good reaction going up 8. Unfortunately when I made a good shot it didn't carry, but I made many bad shots, ending the game with a 165.

After the fifth frame of the second game I finally decided to try to change balls. Reaction wasn't an issue so much as making quality shots but sometimes a change helps. I think it also helped that this ball just felt better on my hand. After a couple of frames trying to get lined up I was able to punch out in the ninth and tenth for a 161. My execution seemed much better.

I started out the last game with 5 strikes in the first six frames, then a couple of shots that overreacted, the first of which I thought was something was off and the second I figured was a sudden lane transition and made a move and after a 7-10 split in the ninth was able to strike out in the tenth for a 211.

As a team we only took 2 points, the last game and that was only after I had thrown the first two strikes in the tenth. Had I not we would have lost all 7 points.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/07/14 08:57 AM

Had more volume out on the lanes last night, had fun rolling my Defiant Soul for a change for the first three games. The ball does not have the violent carry the IQTP does (makes sense, really..) but it does snap the tens out in a way I like. Finished with the IQTP, 886 for 4, I can live with that. Was at 903 last week.. some semblance of consistency at least.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/08/14 12:28 PM

After a two week break, I got to get back to league last night. It was position round for the second quarter, and my team was in first. I shot 207, 224, 243 for 674. Unfortunately, no one else on my team did all to well and we won just enough points to tie with second place for the quarter. That forced a one game roll off and my team did much better. I shot 212 ad was low man on the team. We won.

886 for four games, and winning the quarter...not a bad night.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/08/14 09:53 PM

Well, I can't really blame "rust" for breaking my streak of over-average league nights because I was actually over average in the first two games. I did miss a couple of single pins in the third game, a 7 and a 10, but I was missing more of the former than the latter (two 7s vs. the lone 10).

Result: 182-179-148=509
Average (51 games): 173
Average for last 9 games: 174

I got over-average nights from my first three bowlers (Carl, Brian, and Berta) for all four points against the vacant. I didn't find out what happened in the match to our left, so I won't know if we moved up until I see the final first half standings.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/08/14 10:10 PM

844 for four games on Scorpion tonight. Defiant Soul rolled great, gave me a look nobody else seemed to have. Average in my scratch THS league is holding at 211, PBAX average 204.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/12/14 05:05 PM

In my Friday classic league I shot 204, 224, 235 for 663. After 886 for four on Tuesday, I'm pretty pleased with my bowling for the week. Honestly, that's how I feel I should bowl every week, but its a work in progress.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/12/14 05:54 PM

This is how things went for me on the lanes last night. Started out well enough with the front 7 the first game but two single pin misses in the ninth and tenth frame was a let down for a 236. We lost that game by 7 pins.

The second game I started with an open but kept it clean for the rest of the game, leaving my only split of the night on the fill ball. Ended with a 211 game. We also lost this game by about 40.

The last game, things started to come apart a little. After leaving a couple of 4 pins I decided to make a move but had a hard time hitting my target, even though sometimes I was able to strike despite a 4 board miss left and the times I did hit my target I put it wide where it was slick and the ball wouldn't make it back. Ended the game with a 178 and 625 total. This game we won by more than enough to take total for 3 of 7 points on the night.

We also received the first half pay out last night and our team was in a 3 way tie for 23rd but due to pin count actually put us at 25th.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/12/14 08:33 PM

Hey Cal. When you shut that first game down, you really did a good job.
Posted by: saabbowler

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/13/14 12:54 PM

Changed up my arsenal a bit, here's how things went Friday night.

Game 1: Using the Vapor Zone, nice shots, of course, I missed some spares I should've picked. Closed out the 10th frame with strikes, finished up with 175.

Game 2: Vapor Zone starts coming in light. 4th frame, ball barely makes the pocket, leaving a 2-10 split, which I was lucky enough to convert. Switch to the new ball, Track 714C. Get the feel, start hitting the pocket, recover the game at a 164. Tie the other team.

Game 3: Figured out the lanes, but left some easy spares. Finished out with a 184.

A tidy little 174 average for the series.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/14/14 05:24 PM

I know. I could only shake my head when I finished up that game.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/14/14 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio

I know. I could only shake my head when I finished up that game.

If it makes you feel any better, my anchor bowler went 9-out in the 8th, 9th, and 10th frames one game last night to lose by 3 pins.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/15/14 10:13 PM

I want more nights like tonight. I made a parallel 1-1 move inside to start the second game after coming in light late in the first game, and it not only got me more in the pocket, but also improved my carry. I didn't have to make another move the rest of the night.

Result: 178-214-213=605
Average (54 games): 175
Next week's AVG+1 score: 573

We did make a team name change for the second half (to "Snakes On A Lane"). My teammates thought it might improve our luck, but we still only took one point tonight (second game), with Pat putting up a 410 (80 pins over average).

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/17/14 12:29 AM

Nice set Richie.

Bowled twice this week. On Tuesday had 224, 201, and 193. Nice bounce back for me after going 2+ months without even bowling a 600 series in that league. Had only 2 opens the entire night, both splits.

Subbed tonight, managed to go 245, 216, 193. Same kinda deal with my scores going down each game. First game had no problem on the fresh condition, but didn't have quite the success in the 2nd and 3rd games. I was actually clean the first 28 frames before I went right through the nose for a 4,6,7 split in frame 29. Really thought I was finally going to go 30 clean. I converted a washout, a couple of light sevens, a bucket, and a baby split to make it that far. Team was in a close game so just went for the two pins. Worked out, ended up winning the final game by 1 pin.

3 open frames out of 60 this week though, I'll take it.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/17/14 06:32 AM

Back to back 700s this week with a new Track 714C . Monday 225-264-259=748 and Wed 299-223-206=728.

I had my PRO shop punch up a New Track 714C Monday that I got off EBAY NIB for $65 before my Monday Night league. Out of box no practice rolled a 748. Who would of thought out of the 140 bowlers in the league I would end up bowling against the person that drilled the ball for me. I ended up taking all the points in the Peterson Point league. Kind of felt bad about that after he did such an excellent job of laying it out and drilling it for me before the start of the league.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/17/14 11:03 AM

I have a new 714C, first game on it was 20 pins over average. Looking tonight to see if I can't open up my game a bit more with it.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/17/14 08:19 PM

Geez Boss. Nice back to back sets. Send the vibes my way (for the team of course) smile Way to go.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/18/14 01:58 PM

Didn't even touch the 714C tonight. Felt good going in, but practice didn't offer up much. Come game time though....

228 - 182 - 200 = 610

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/20/14 10:37 PM

Went 227, 257, 289, 225 for 998 (773 for the first three) and 40 clean frames. Best performance from me in this league yet.
Posted by: mmalsed

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/21/14 12:02 PM

Was VERY up and down this week. IQTP was working straight up 20 - turns out they laid down a longer pattern this week so anyone swinging it had to make big changes and straight-and-in was the way to play.

But started to get frustrated - wasn't getting the reaction I wanted and started to pull it. Struggled to pull off a 184.

Switched to the Marvel to see if I could get the reaction, but had to swing it and with the frustration and the long pattern, never made the right adjustment and went back to the IQ. At the very end of a 147 game, a friend told me to speed up my feet again (I'd been slowing them down more and more unconsciously) and I'd stop pulling the ball left.

Bang. Times 10. Third game had first 10. One was brooklyn very early on, but otherwise they were all pretty solid. One or two were a tad swishy but good swishy. smile

11th ball was weird. Was all tingly - walked back off the approach twice. couldn't shake it. Missed my mark by just over a board right (lol - only miss RIGHT all night) and left the 2-pin. Then I just threw the 12th away. 288 is my new high game.

I've had more than 10 in a row before, but always spanning games. Was WEIRD. . . and nerve racking. But, hopefully now that I've been here, it'll be easier next time. smile

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/21/14 12:10 PM

mmalsed, at least we have something in common about our bowling now...the same personal best sanctioned game. WTG! smile

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/22/14 10:02 PM

Just not enough good shots tonight. The splits in the second game were pretty much my undoing, because if two of them were makeable spares, I probably had a chance to go over average again.

Result: 182-156-173=511
Average (57 games): 174
Average for last 9 games: 180

Team lost all four, but an extra spare by us in the first and/or third games might have been the difference for the points, because each of those games was lost by ten or fewer pins.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/24/14 11:40 PM

223, 203, 255 for 681. Got knocked out my brackets in the second game by a 204 and a 206. Would have won them both had I stayed in. Oh well.

On the pair next to me a guy had 300 300 257. The guy started the last game with the front four before a ring 10. He said his last game the night before was a 300.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/25/14 02:49 AM

Wow. 28 in a row to start a series is strong. Wonder if the 857 series was a high for him. Impressive. Good stuff champ, thanks for sharing.
Posted by: greggas

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/25/14 06:05 AM

My last three weeks have been good with a side of weird.

1/8 705 series, 1 open (6-8 split)
1/9 703 series, 1 open (6-8 split)
1/15 636 series, clean
1/16 752 series, 3 opens (two 7's, 4-7 pick)
1/22 656 series, 1 open (6-8 split)
1/23 698 series, 1 open (3-9)

So three times in five nights I had the same split keep me from a clean series. Plus, my clean series was the lowest while my highest series had the most opens. Go figure nut

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/25/14 10:58 PM

I didn't bowl league last week as I had only arrived home from work about 30 minutes before practice would start and on top of feeling exhausted from the whole work week I also was battling a possible cold. My team had took all 7 points. This week I went I was feeling better and hadn't worked today. Unfortunately I didn't bowl well. This is the full report on Bowlsk of my session on the lanes. About the only consistent thing I did tonight was bowl in the 170s, oh and pick up single pins or leave splits. I just didn't execute the way I know I can and I had different issues. I went 178, 177 and 171 for a 526 set, and had the second lowest set of the 5 bowlers on my team. We did take all 7 points though, thanks to some of my teammates going well over average on the night.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/27/14 12:12 PM

I rolled a 171-191-180 for a 542 series this past Friday. Nothing amazing personally, but one hell of a competition between my team and our opponent.

Lost the 1st game by 1 pin, and order for the other team to win, their anchor had to strike out, which he did.

Won the 2nd game by 14 pins, but was still a tight match all the way.

Won the 3rd game by 5 pins, I wanted to shut it out, or give our anchor a bit less stress, but instead of striking out, I shot spare strike in the 10th, working off a strike. In order to close it out, our anchor had to strike out working off a strike. First ball comes up high, and he gets a miracle trip 4 for the strike, and hit dead flush in the pocket to close out the game and win +5.

I love a great game like that. Keeps those competitive juices flowing. smile

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/27/14 10:33 PM

Had a "meh" night tonight, I don't know... with the exception of the second game (248) I could hit on one lane or the other in any given game but not both. Finished with 830 for 4 games, not awful by my standards but yeah, "meh". Still led my team though and was second on the pair, beat my opponent two games plus total so I guess I did my job.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/29/14 10:03 PM

Sorry for the double tap, but it was PBAX night tonight, shot in the 830's on what they call "Shark". I say that because of the way they have played for the last couple weeks. Not much of an OOB although you could find it if you really tried, seemed like anyone that tried to cover a lot of boards was stuck in over-under land. I tried my IQ Tour Pearl first this week and it was ok but eventually got too hard to control, then I got out my trusty "in case of emergency break glass" Roto Grip Shout and that ball was much better. I was around 17-18 at the arrows and just trying to limit ball motion as much as I could and still carry. That's probably a record for me on any pattern called Shark but I don't think it's the real deal at all.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/29/14 10:26 PM

The third game had a kind of "too little, too late" feel to it, but some of that was my own doing w/ the single pin misses.

Result: 169-137-193=499
Average (60 games): 174
Average for last 9 games: 179
Next week's AVG+1 score: 556

Team lost three rather close games; I really needed the first strike in the 10th third game, but didn't get it.
Posted by: greggas

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/31/14 06:37 PM

1-29 236+176+184=596, 4 opens (2 splits, washout, & gutter-5 count)
1-30 300+211+243=754, 2 opens (4-6 split, 4-7-10 split)

Got the 300 on video again Take your video camera every time you bowl

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 01/31/14 08:15 PM

Congratulations greggas on the 300.Nice shooting...

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/03/14 10:01 AM

*meh* Can't even remember what I bowled Friday...it wasn't spectacular.

Bowled a trio best ball Sunday. I ended up with 156-206-149-151-159 for an average of 164....which is my average, lol. It was a good experience, though, I learned some things about my new ball, my Track 714C.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/03/14 03:38 PM

I went to league Saturday night after carrying and hanging drywall all day. After a split to start the night I was able to keep the first game clean, never leaving more than 1 pin, but never putting more than 2 strikes together at a time for a 215. The second game again I had only 9 counts and strikes and finally was able to put together more than 2 strikes late in the game, unfortunately I missed a 10 pin early on but stayed clean otherwise for a 225. The last game I just ran out of gas, had three opens including two 7 pins and chopping the 2 off of the 2-8. On top of that only 2 strikes. Just bad execution. I rolled a 160 to lead the team that game. We had a super second game with 4 of us rolling over 200, with 3 of those averaging under 180 currently and the fifth, our low average bowler still going 20 pins over average that game but the last game we all fell apart. This is the full rundown of how my night went. As a team we only took 2 points of 7, that second game where we lit it up.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/04/14 10:07 AM

Some stats from the month of January:

Games bowled: 36
Average: 224
Highest series: 751
Lowest series: 606
Highest game: 300(1)
Lowest game: 177
Games with 9+ strikes in a row: 1
Games with 11 strikes in a row: 1 (300)
Single pin leaves: 85
Single pin spares: 74 (all misses were the 10-pin)
Clean games: 11 (30.5%)

Notes:
* Composite average for all games this season is 227. If this holds I'll likely be in the top 10 in average (based on their qualifying criteria) for my local association
* First 300 game of the year on 1/20. This gives me a 300, 800 and 11-in-a-row awards this season. Unless they change policy, these are the last awards I'll ever receive for free from the USBC. frown
* Record for picking up non-10-pin single-pin leaves continues. I haven't missed a single pin leave, that wasn't a 10-pin, this season. One of my goals for the year (and future seasons).
Posted by: IronMike

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/07/14 05:29 AM

Don't usually post league scores, but I have a slightly encouraging and oddly depressing story from this week's bowling.

As of 2 weeks ago, my average was a 170 and I'd never rolled a 600 series. Had several 590's, but no 600. Well, I finally threw my first 600 series (611) last week, and followed it up with my second (615) this week.

My first game this week I managed an imposing 156. Luckily I spared the 10th (had 5 opens the first game, bleh) and was able to try out a ball change. Found the pocket, stuck with it, and managed a 210 my second game. Third game I could do no wrong. My first 10 shots didn't miss the pocket (X 9/ X X X X X 9/ X X X)with my second shot in the 10th coming brooklyn. At this point I was not only pumped as I knew I reached the 600 again, but I'd also never shot a 250 in league (a couple sanctioned 260's, but not league). Not sure if you're counting at home, but I had a full rack staring at me and just had to knock over a pin. Naturally, I threw my final shot straight in the gutter for a 249. Adding insult to injury, we lost the game and total by a few pins. My best bowling ever, and I had to leave totally bummed out.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/07/14 06:43 AM

Strange… you can bowl well, but, sometimes that final roll sets the mood for the night. Good bowling.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/07/14 06:52 AM

It's been over 40 years since my first 300. And, I have forgotten how it felt. Was I nervous, excited? I don't remember.

Well, last night, a teammate (195 average) shot his first at age 62. Never saw a bowler so excited. The guy is 6'6 and jumped around like a little kid.

This guy practices every other day. Asks questions constantly. Takes a few lessons from the pro shop guy. And, really tries to improve.

It was really good to see someone finally achieve a goal after the effort I know he puts in.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/07/14 07:16 AM

Originally Posted By: IronMike
Don't usually post league scores, but I have a slightly encouraging and oddly depressing story from this week's bowling.
As of 2 weeks ago, my average was a 170 and I'd never rolled a 600 series. Had several 590's, but no 600. Well, I finally threw my first 600 series (611) last week, and followed it up with my second (615) this week.
My first game this week I managed an imposing 156. Luckily I spared the 10th (had 5 opens the first game, bleh) and was able to try out a ball change. Found the pocket, stuck with it, and managed a 210 my second game. Third game I could do no wrong. My first 10 shots didn't miss the pocket (X 9/ X X X X X 9/ X X X)with my second shot in the 10th coming brooklyn. At this point I was not only pumped as I knew I reached the 600 again, but I'd also never shot a 250 in league (a couple sanctioned 260's, but not league). Not sure if you're counting at home, but I had a full rack staring at me and just had to knock over a pin. Naturally, I threw my final shot straight in the gutter for a 249. Adding insult to injury, we lost the game and total by a few pins. My best bowling ever, and I had to leave totally bummed out.

If it's any consolation, Wednesday night my inability to strike out cost me about $300 in side game action. For the night, there's a high game/survivor that gets huge. Each high game is worth around $60 and survivor first place that night was $170. In addition there's a second game high game winner take all that's around $200.

Second game going into the tenth if I strike out I can shoot 280, which would have won both high game pots. I left a ten-pin on my first ball and wound up with 259.

Third game I actually got the first two strikes, then left a 9-pin (deserved it) for 246. Ended up splitting survivor with 2 other bowlers for $105 each instead of the $170 that getting that last pin would have garnered. Ugh!

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/07/14 10:52 AM

Originally Posted By: IronMike
My best bowling ever, and I had to leave totally bummed out.

Don't be so hard on yourself. With a game like this, where its so mental, you have to keep everything positive.

You went from no 600s to two, you set your personal best both times, and on the second one, you averaged 230 for your last two games. That's great. Keep up the consistency, keep improving, keep the confidence high, and you'll be shooting several 250s every season.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/08/14 10:52 PM

How I scratched out a 600 series. Started out will enough with a 235 but then started throwing bad shots the second game and missed a 4 and 7 pin on back to back frames on the left lane. This is the second week in a row having issues going after spares on the left side. After sitting at 63 after 5 frames I was able to make a 190. The last game I could have been at 200, but still wasn't executing well on every shot. Left a 10 pin in the tenth and completely missed it for a 180 and 605 overall. I had 5 opens, 2 were splits and 3 were single pin opens. When I actually threw a ball I liked, I usually struck, only twice getting tapped when I put it where I wanted and getting away with a few that weren't so good.

As a team we took 5 of 7 points, losing the second game by around 100 but since we were up by 279 after the first two it wasn't a big hit. The first game we went 1104 scratch, with our lowest of 5 bowlers rolling 200 even, and that was a 151 average bowler.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/11/14 11:37 PM

232, 247, 236 for 715 tonight. I think that's the first 700 I've been somewhat disappointed with. I chopped a 3-6-10 first game, whiffed a 7 second game, and whiffed a 10 third game.

I've got some spare practice to do, but still a good night.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/12/14 09:28 PM

I recognized early on that I was rushing through my bowling and trying to force it, but it took the rest of the first game for me to completely calm down. Once I did, however, I generally made better shots, and the scoring followed, particularly in the third game.

Result: 160-186-220=566
Average (63 games): 175
Average for last 9 games: 175
Next week's AVG+1 score: 581

It was a quick night, because Berta and Brian pre-bowled last week, not knowing whether we'd cancel for snow. Team took three of four after losing the first game by 51 pins.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/13/14 06:59 AM

Last night ended up being the final night of our sport shot league (for reasons I'm not 100% privy to but that's another story). I bowled pretty horrendous the first two games, to the point where a 180 and 194 game for the 3rd and 4th felt like victory (I forget the scores, I think I blocked them out). Just terrible execution, the decent shots I made really stick out because there were just so few of them.

Anyways, I finish the season with just a shade over 201 average, and walk out with a "season high series-sport" keychain and the "11-in-a-row, sport" trophy.

Feels like a "win" although I gotta be honest, I don't remember ever once fighting to get the ball to finish. Would need to play sport shots in a lot more houses before I started getting cocky or even confident...

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/13/14 10:38 AM

Anyways, I finish the season with just a shade over 201 average, and walk out with a "season high series-sport" keychain and the "11-in-a-row, sport" trophy.

That's a heck of an accomplishment. Way to go.

Pretty strange your league would just close up shop though.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/13/14 12:16 PM

Originally Posted By: champ

That's a heck of an accomplishment. Way to go.

Pretty strange your league would just close up shop though.

Thank you Sir.

It amounts to a combination of factors- The tape machine was borrowed from another bowling alley and they want it back, we had very low participation with people falling off rather than joining up (shooting 170 when you're used to 200+ is not fun for some), and one of our bowlers allegedly gave the front desk a facefull of shizzle one night when we were bowling on what was supposed to be "Shark" but everything checked up super-early... not sure if that had something to do with it as well...

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/14/14 08:52 AM

We got put on the buffer lanes because our lanes started scratching balls. I am sure those lanes were not oiled like the rest of the league lanes. If you hit 8- at the break point, the ball kept sailing out. If you were inside of 8, the ball dove. It was really a challenge and no one of the 2 teams could master it.

6 bowlers on the lanes and 5 over 200 average. High series for all of us was 560. My 530 was near the bottom of the group. 9 split opens told the story. Only missed 1 makable spare, a 10.

Really dissatisfying night although we did win 2 games and took 10 of 18 points.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/14/14 09:03 AM

Thank you Sir.

It amounts to a combination of factors- The tape machine was borrowed from another bowling alley and they want it back, we had very low participation with people falling off rather than joining up (shooting 170 when you're used to 200+ is not fun for some), and one of our bowlers allegedly gave the front desk a facefull of shizzle one night when we were bowling on what was supposed to be "Shark" but everything checked up super-early... not sure if that had something to do with it as well...

Was it a Sport shot league or a PBA Pattern league?

Bowled in a few, and found the Centers who don't show the tapes to the league are the ones who have had arguments. Most bowlers can't read the tapes anyhow, so why is it a secret? It serves as a verification that the House is laying down the right pattern.

And, the Desk person generally doesn't know how the laneman oiled, but they usually take the brunt of irate bowlers.

The best managed Sport Shot league around here, posts the tape and the anticipated pattern on the side wall. Bowlers generally congregate around the posted chart and discuss how to play the pattern before leagues. It makes for unison in the league to beat the pattern. There is also a lot of collaboration during the night, discussing the pattern play.

At another House where Dale Traber bowls, he runs the sport shot league and roams the lanes to answer any questions or give line up directions to anyone who asks. It is a really good learning experience.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/14/14 12:29 PM

It was PBAX, supposed to be sport-compliant <shrugs>

And, the Desk person generally doesn't know how the laneman oiled, but they usually take the brunt of irate bowlers.

Ain't that the truth. Thankless job.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/14/14 11:54 PM

246, 278, 183 for 707.

Had 524 after two, and a great look...got a little excited and lost focus.

Oh well. Back to back 700s this week. Won't complain about that.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/15/14 02:57 AM

It was PBAX, supposed to be sport-compliant <shrugs>

[/quote]

My point is, a PBAX league should have NO question on the pattern, as it is pretty well defined and fairly familiar to most bowlers who participate. There are many other patterns that are Sport compliant that are not as familiar. They could cause questions. But, I can't see an issue with PBA Patterns. It either is a Shark or it isn't.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/15/14 08:07 AM

So if they rolled out "Shark" and you found that the only ball you could roll that wouldn't check up at the arrows was the weakest reactive in your bag (in my case, a Roto Grip Shout at 4000 drilled with about 5 1/4" pin-to-pap)... you might have questions? Also, the sheet they gave us said the pattern was not sport-compliant in ratio. We had a bowler who could roll a "fade" (don't know how else to describe it), shot I think 299... imagine if he rolled 300 and couldn't get the sport award because of the pattern sheet?

Scorpion was the previous pattern and it was similarly early with "free hook" for everyone.

I'm more used to squaring up quite a lot on Scorpion, and wondering what the hell I can do to get to the pocket on Shark smile

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/15/14 08:32 AM

Wow, the House printed that the pattern was not Sport compliant? That's not right for a Sport League.

Even with a 299, that bowler was eligible for an 11 in a row award on a Sport shot.

I know the PBA league I bowled in would have walked out. Our President demands a copy of the tapes taken on the lanes every week, and checks them against the pattern layout.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/15/14 08:43 AM

Rick, it sucks for your 201 PBAX average to be tainted like that. But, it's not your fault, and still something to be proud of even if the ratios were not exactly sport-compliant. In some PBAX leagues, all you can do is show up and hope for the best.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/15/14 09:51 AM

Rick, it sucks for your 201 PBAX average to be tainted like that. But, it's not your fault, and still something to be proud of even if the ratios were not exactly sport-compliant. In some PBAX leagues, all you can do is show up and hope for the best.

It does... as far as I know it was just the one night and shooting around 700 for 4 games that night I can't say I exactly "took advantage". I procrastinated getting the application out for my 11-in-a-row on Viper (just sent it out last week), I guess we will see if the documentation holds up.

I'm mostly disappointed because I bought a top-shelf ball specifically for the longer PBAX patterns and found it unusable on those nights... at least it has proven to be surprisingly usable on the THS the other house puts out for our scratch league.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/15/14 12:17 PM

...as far as I know it was just the one night...

I remember you saying at one point your PBAX average was higher than your THS average. Not to take away anything from your performance, that's just rare for a bowler to score better on a sport shot.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/15/14 01:45 PM

That had to be about two weeks in at what was then a new THS league for me. I've been steadily improving there, I think mostly because I realized I wasn't using enough ball for the volume they put out (just wasn't seeing a reliable roll). THS average jumped after the third week there, and the two averages never crossed again. Steadily improving average in my scratch league, at 214 right now. Not sure what the usual differential is but it's got to be getting closer to normal, and I've averaged over 220 for the past ten weeks on the THS...

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/15/14 02:06 PM

Bowling 2nd week of PBA Viper last night. 175, 278, 220, 280 for a 953 series. Opened with my Mission in practice, switched to my Berserk (mostly for giggles) before the first game and stuck with it all night. Now own high series, high game (x2) and high average for our little 5-man league, and with a 209 average I'm officially higher average on sport than THS scratch league right now. Also earned an 11-in-a-row trophy the second game (started with an open) which is nice thumbsup

Yup, October 17, two weeks into that scratch league. THS average jumped to 210 the next week and I don't think the averages crossed again.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/15/14 05:12 PM

hey rick,
how did you play that Viper to have such success? speed up? let me know. nice shooting.

RR
Yup, October 17, two weeks into that scratch league. THS average jumped to 210 the next week and I don't think the averages crossed again.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/15/14 08:46 PM

All I remember is, I used a benchmark ball, and played similar to a house shot except with my feet more to the left when compared to my mark (trying to get the ball closer to the gutter) and my shoulders a little more "open" (set my left foot a little more forward than my right foot in my stance). Other than that, I was just being as nice to the ball at the bottom of the swing as I could. One of the other guys commented that I seemed to be really waiting on the ball at the line... not always my strong suit.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/15/14 08:49 PM

All I remember is, I used a benchmark ball, and played similar to a house shot except with my feet more to the left when compared to my mark (trying to get the ball closer to the gutter) and my shoulders a little more "open" (set my left foot a little more forward than my right foot in my stance). Other than that, I was just being as nice to the ball at the bottom of the swing as I could. One of the other guys commented that I seemed to be really waiting on the ball at the line... not always my strong suit.

some play THS further in (myself) and others play around 10. so sounds like you made sure you had a stable base from which to deliver the ball as smoothly as you could. to answer my question, it sounds like you were playing it slower than normal rather than speeding up.

rr

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/15/14 11:38 PM

My nearly clean series. I went clean for the first two games with scores of 258 and 223. The first game I had poor execution on back to back shots on one lane, pretty much doing the same thing both times. The other 10 shots were in the pocket for strikes. The second game I made one really terrible shot and then a few that were just slightly bad that didn't and shouldn't have carried. The last game was a 193, that should have been in the 210s and could have even been better. This game I had two opens, both single pins that ruined my changes at a clean game and a 700 series if I make those and throw a few more strikes. Unfortunately I had more bad shots that game than the first two games combined. I finished with a 674 which was the high set on the pair. Unfortunately we only took the first game, only earning 2 of 7 points. We almost had to forfeit as we had 3 bowlers pre-bowl for tonight, but the league had voted that no pre-bowling was allowed during position round. Previously it was as long as the whole team didn't pre-bowl for position round. Luckily plans had changed and I talked with 2 of my bowlers and they were able to make it.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/16/14 10:46 AM

Originally Posted By: rrb6699

some play THS further in (myself) and others play around 10. so sounds like you made sure you had a stable base from which to deliver the ball as smoothly as you could. to answer my question, it sounds like you were playing it slower than normal rather than speeding up.

rr

Sorry, I guess I fell short of answering your question. In this case I rolled it neither fast nor slow, seriously other than starting position I did just what I'd do on a THS (in terms of delivery). If for example I was playing 2nd arrow (which I did at first), my feet would be three boards left of where I'd normally "expect", and I made parallel moves from there... not many were necessary.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/19/14 09:08 PM

At the end of my night, I told my partner in the mixed doubles last weekend about this and asked her where this was when I was bowling with her. I was mostly happy with how I bowled, and, while there's always a clunker in the three with me, it seems, I did hit my +1 on the button. There was only one missed single pin (a 7), and I made both of my splits as well as a couple of washouts. I really just need to learn to relax when I bowl, because I do well when I'm relaxed.

Result: 226-192-163=581
Average (66 games): 176
Next week's AVG+1 score: 597

It was a quick night, with two bowlers absent on both teams, and a vacancy on the other team, besides. Team took three of four, with Brian over average for all three games.
Posted by: IronMike

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/20/14 08:58 PM

I was working night shifts last week so could not bowl, but was able to make my regular league last night. Sure glad that I did.

As I mentioned before, as of 1 month ago I had zero 600 series. Now I have broken 600 each of my last 3 outings. 611 four weeks ago, 615 three weeks ago, and after a bye week I had my best outing yet last night with a 212, 247, 210 for a 669 series.

I only threw two opens on the night (2nd frame first game, 1st frame second game). I've really been working on spares so that is pleasing. Missed a 6-7-10 (actually kicked the 6 in front of the 7) and a washout conversion. I believe I had 20 strikes on the night.

Here's a review: http://www.bowlsk.com/games/view-series.html?series=21764248

So my average over my past 3 outings is now a 210! Hopefully I can keep that up :-)

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/22/14 08:01 PM

nice bowling Mike.

2/4/14 I started the first game with the Front ten. The eleventh shot I released it a little too good and got more fingers in that shot and left a stone 9 pin. 289
Second game I missed a ten pin in the second frame. The rest of the game was clean with 9 strikes for a 226. Last game I had the front 5. I converted a 6-10 spare in the 6th to ruin any shot at a 800. Finished with a 266 with 9 strikes.

2/11/14 They added more oil and I didn't figure it out until the 7th frame when I changed balls. I switched to my Reign of Fire and finished with a 180. Second game was a clean 225. Last game was a 191 with 8 strikes and 3 opens, ugh.

2/18/14 Back to my Lights Out ball. First game was a clean unimpressive 216. 6 strikes, one ten pin. Second game 233 with 9 strikes and one whiffed 10 pin.
Last game was a clean 239. No ten pins, 9 strikes. So I only left 2 ten pins total in three games. My A game is on now. I can't wait until Tuesday. When I'm on, I don't leave many ten pins. I love this Lights Out ball. Perfect for my game.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/22/14 11:56 PM

My league session tonight. For the first time in about a month I didn't fall of some the last game from the scores of the first two games. Actually the opposite with the last game being the highest by 21 pins. This despite starting the game off with 2 opens and ending with a split. My first two games were 204 and 203 with the last being a 225 for a 632 set. As a team we won 5 of 7 points. We lost the first game by 30. The second game we won by 18 leaving us down 12 for total. We ended up taking the last by 13 to take total by 1.
Posted by: Dwight

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/23/14 11:46 PM

I had my first good week since my return to bowling at the beginning of the year. I'm bowling in a six lane house with old wood lanes. The shot is somewhat heavy and short. I finally found a consistent line outside of 5 after weeks of trying to play the track. I shot 228, 220, 224 for 672. I've been practicing a lot and I feel like some of my old rhythm is coming back.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/26/14 12:58 PM

232, 200, 212 for 644 last night. Started with my Hy-Road ad switched to the Wrecker. I was having some fit issues with my spare ball and missed three single pin spares that kept me from being over 220 all night.

I only have a few games with the Wrecker, and none of them have been that tremendous, but I can tell I'm really going to like this ball.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/26/14 10:08 PM

I thought I was OK through two, mostly because of the way I finished the second game, but then the wheels just fell off of the proverbial wagon.

Result: 157-189-144=490
Average (69 games): 175
Next week's AVG+1 score: 566

Team won all four, with the team winning the third game because everyone else picked me up, led by Berta with a 190 game.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 02/26/14 10:42 PM

Some stats from the month of February:

Games bowled: 30
Average: 237.26
Highest series: 755
Lowest series: 644
Highest game: 300(1)
Lowest game: 182
Games with 9+ strikes in a row: 2 (300,289)
Games with 11 strikes in a row: 1 (300)
Single pin leaves: 68
Single pin spares: 65 (all misses were the 10-pin)
Clean games: 19 (63%)

Notes:
* This was quite possibly the best month of bowling I've ever had
* Took over monday night league average lead
* Missed a total of 3 10-pins the whole month, and I haven't missed one in my last at least 18 games.
* Composite average is now 228, which would be good for 5th place in the entire DC area last season

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 03/01/14 10:42 PM

This is how my league night went down. My series total of 577 was pretty much close to average but the break down of the scores weren't, going 168, 189 and 220 in that order. So I improved each game, while each of the first two games had potential to be better. I had a total of 6 opens on the night, 4 were splits, one a 10 pin and the sixth was chopping 2 pins off of a bucket. That missed bucket was in the tenth frame, and a mark and high count would have won us that game. The second game we lost by around 120 pins and the last game we lost by about 40 to lose all 7 points. That last game 4 of 5 on my team bowled well but we couldn't over come the 88 pins of handicap and several of the opposing team's bowlers bowled well as well.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 03/04/14 10:01 AM

Calvin, you got me by 1 pin. I rolled a 576 this past Friday. I rolled a 180-203-193. First game, chopped a couple of easy spares, had a brutal break when I left a 3-7 split on a pocket shot in the 8th frame. Yes, you read that right, a 3-7. The 5 pin went down, bounced, stood back up, and slid to the 3 spot. Wasn't even out of range. What can you do? *blink blink*

Second game, whiffed a 10 pin, had an early split, but struck out the last 5 frames, with the last strike being really nice, hit solid, thought I was going to leave a stone 9, and have a messenger kick across to take it out.

Third game, opened up with two splits, switched from the Track 714C to my Brunswick Vapor Zone, pretty much stayed in the pocket for the rest of the game

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 03/04/14 06:12 PM

I decided to get a new ball this week. I had been using a Storm Crossroad since I started bowling again in early January, but it was too strong and too snappy for the shot at my house. My pro shop guy made a surface adjustment on the Crossroad that probably would have worked just fine, but the IQ Tour Pearl had caught my eye, and I was pretty set on getting one.

The first night of league with it, I shot 204, 218, 220 for a 642 series. The shot at the house I'm bowling in seems to consistently being right around 5, and this ball is great out there. I'm very happy with it.

That put my average right at 201 after 18 games, and I'm pretty happy with that. The first few weeks were pretty rocky since it took me a while to get any rhythm, but after a lot of practice its coming back.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 03/05/14 09:54 PM

I had a pretty decent night tonight, with the second game only single digits under my average. I probably could have had two deuce games in this set, but a ringer robbed me filling the last frame.

Result: 202-170-192=564
Average (72 games): 175

Most of our opponents were around their average most of the night, but the third bowler in their order (the anchor was absent) nearly put up a 700, and we lost all four points.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 03/08/14 01:27 PM

I continued my roll with my Lights Out. I love this ball. It's a light oil ball that is perfect for me with my strong release. It gets me away from the ball return and the ball isn't jumpy so I stay in the pocket all night.

I subbed last night. 246-227-211. 684 series. 20 strikes. One open. a missed 2 pin in the third game. A 2 pin of all things! I couldn't believe I missed it. I couldn't believe I left it in the first place. No splits. lanes transitioned in the third game big time. Way too busy a line. I changed balls to my Reign of Fire. I jumped over to the 4th arrow and found a nice new unused line. Finished strong. I wanted the clean series. It's been a while since I've done that.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 03/08/14 10:59 PM

Tonight started out like it could be a pretty good night on the lanes. The full story on Bowlsk. After a small move early in the first game, I rolled a 229, striking on the last 8 shots, and the first of the second game. I then struggled for the next 5 frames, only marking in the second frame, but then had 3 splits and a washout all in row before nearly punching out the last 6, left a 4 pin on the twelfth shot, for a 186. Not a completely bad game all things considered and figured I had things figured out again. Wrong. After throwing 3 more splits in the first 5 frames, some were just terrible shots and others were due to a bit of over/under. I made a ball change and slight move right and was able to go back into the pocket, until the right lane started to read a bit early over the last two frames on that lane, which included the tenth frame. Even my plastic would start to hook up on that lane when going after spares. I ended up with a 144 and a 559 total. I only made 3 of 14 spares. I had 7 splits. Those kind of stats are just score killers even with 19 strikes. On an upside we won all 7 points, and the last game by over 100.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 03/12/14 09:55 PM

I threw too many bad first shots, particularly in the first game, but my other two games were enough to get me over my +1. My spare game was strong tonight, as well (80% on makeables, with one split conversion on top of it).

Result: 167-200-186=553
Average (75 games): 176
Average for last 9 games: 178
Next week's AVG+1 score: 583

We split the first two games, with my team having the advantage for total, but two of our opponents, none of whom carried a 150+ average, threw games in the 220s (one as a pre-bowl) in the third game, and that was just too much for us to overcome.
Posted by: VampyreBowler

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 03/13/14 11:21 AM

Rough night to start...haven't had that much oil on the lanes in months...shot 172 game one. Needed a mark and good count to win that point and left the big 4. Second game started off just as bad then I borrowed a ball I had sold to someone and threw the last 6 for a 233. Third game could have been better but I made too many mistakes and shot 211. Need to swap out one of my balls for something on the dull side.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 03/14/14 12:26 AM

The last two weeks in league have been awesome.

3/4/14

Using my Lights Out, first game, Ten pin spare, strike, 4 pin spare, strike to the fill ball. 268.

Front four then a 7-10 split on a pocket shot. Triple then 10 pin in the 9th frame. Another triple for a 243.

Last game 8 strikes, clean game 246. 757 series. One open.

On tuesday, Using my Reign of Fire, clean first game. 8 strikes including the last four to get a 236.

Second game 246, but I had a 6 bagger going into the tenth. I left a 10 pin that I whiffed. I clipped a pin in the gutter that should've been removed.

Last game 4 pin in the 4th frame, 279. 761 series. One open.

I'm loving bowling right now. I can't wait until next tuesday.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 03/14/14 12:38 AM

I'm too embarrassed to post my scores from tonight. Oh well.

191 with an open 10th and 3 opens in the game, 2 splits.
206 with an open 10th and 3 opens in the game, 2 splits.
139 with an open 10th and 5 opens in the game, 3 splits and 2 washouts.

I felt like my arms were like rubber and very uncoordinated. Don't know why?

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 03/19/14 10:35 PM

The left lane proved tough tonight, as my only double came in the 10th frame second game finishing on the right lane. I do feel I'm starting to manage my bad nights better, because tonight could easily have been worse if I didn't make all of my single pins.

Result: 174-182-159=515
Average (78 games): 176
Next week's AVG+1 score: 599

My secretary needed a 278 (with ten in a row) to beat my team the first game, but we won the other two games, the second rather comfortably, for three points.
Posted by: VampyreBowler

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 03/20/14 02:32 AM

200-171-199.....hate not being able to get into the game because of personal stuff.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 03/22/14 12:41 AM

I subbed tonight. I felt good and I was on target. I was using my Marvel Pearl going over 15 to 7 at the break. Double then a stoned 9 pin. Another double then a 4 pin. Triple then a blow out 7-10 split in the tenth. Ugh! 224

Second game, clean with a close out 4 bagger for a 239.

Third game, clean with a 4 bagger before the fill ball. 225.

688 series. 23 strikes. 1 open. 2 splits. 2 out of 2 ten pins converted.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 03/22/14 10:54 PM

I got myself back into the 600s this week. After trying out my Hy-Road in warm-ups and getting a little too much reaction out of it, I gave the Misfit a try and it was getting a lot of friction but it was manageable. Half way through the first game it seemed to not be responding as well and I finally moved to the Triton. Second game I rolled a 246, having 10 of 12 strikes. One of those non-strikes was a 4-9 split for an open. The last game I ended up with a 177, yet another let down at the end of the night while things were going well the first two games. I had the ball start to jump on my early in the game, moved, got a few lucky strikes and a good one but left a couple of 10 pins that I missed as well as a Greek Church.

As a team we only took two of 7 points, winning the second game. We could have lost that had the opposing anchor struck out, but he went strike 10 pin.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 03/24/14 12:58 PM

183-177-180 for an exact 180 average, and back to back weeks with a 540 series.

As a team, we lost our first points for the first time in 3 weeks. This past Friday was position night. We have first place locked up for the second half, we bowl the first half winner this Friday in sweepstakes.

After that, it's a 9 pin tournament, and then a charity tournament the week after. Then I have to decide if I'm going to roll a summer league.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 03/26/14 10:14 PM

I was over average on the night, but all of my score was in the first game, mainly because I had trouble getting the ball to come back to the pocket later, even after a ball change. It was a tough night on my single 10 (missed both of them), but made all of my other single pins and had a better night with more than one pin on the deck.

Result: 212-164-165=541
Average (81 games): 176
Average for last 9 games: 178
Next week's AVG+1 score: 589

Team won all four, with Pat better than 40 over average thanks to a 169 second game.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 03/27/14 12:48 AM

Bowled regular league last night. Unusual night. We had to make up for a snow day cancellation, so we bowled 6 games last night. 3 games then re-oil, move to another set of lanes and bowl another 3.

They started early, 7pm and I thought it was 7:30. So I missed practice, got there in time for the first frame. 10 pin spare, strike, 4 pin spare, strike to the tenth, spare strike for a 249.
Second game, double, 10 pin miss!!!! sheet for 267.
Third game, front 5, spare out for a 230.
746 series. Used my Reign of Fire. 24 strikes, 1 open, 27 of 30 points

Second set, first game, Ten pin miss in the second. Close out with a 7 bagger for a 238.
Second game, I chopped a 3-6-10, 5 bagger from 5th to 9th. 6-7 split in the tenth. 212
Third game, 6 pin spare, 7 bagger, 6 pin spare, 2 strikes in the tenth for a 268.
23 strikes, 3 opens, 1 split, 728 series.

Pretty good night.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 04/01/14 08:55 AM

ome stats from the month of February:

Games bowled: 27
Average: 222.26
Highest series: 713
Lowest series: 575
Highest game: 268
Lowest game: 164
Games with 9+ strikes in a row: 1 (265)
Games with 11 strikes in a row: 0
Single pin leaves: 80
Single pin spares: 72 (all misses were the 10-pin)
Clean games: 9 (33%)

Notes:
* This was quite possibly the worst month of bowling I've had this year
* Took a lesson on 3/9 which screwed me up for 2.5 weeks. I'm getting back to where I was, and am waiting until summer to implement any more changes
* Maintained Monday night league average lead
* Lost Friday night average lead by virtue of not having 2/3 games bowled. I'll miss out winning that by about 6 weeks (I was subbing for someone the first half of the season and they returned)
* Missed a total of 8 10-pins the whole month
* Composite average is still 228, which would be good for 5th place in the entire DC area last season

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 04/01/14 12:41 PM

Don't you mean March, Dan? wink

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 04/02/14 01:38 PM

I haven't reported my leagues scores in a while, but I've been doing better and better as I get my feet back under me after a long lay-off. In the last six weeks my low series was a 589, the rest have been over 600, with one 690 in there and I've gotten my average up to 207. Not too bad for a guy who hasn't bowled in over a decade.

Honestly I was getting bored with the small league and the easy pattern, so I went in search of a challenge.

I found a sport league that bowls on this year's national team pattern. I bowled nationals five years in the 90s. My team captain had won an eagle in the early 80s, and we took the ABC pretty seriously. I saw the flyer for the league and was instantly excited, so I joined. As it turned out, the league organizer/president is one of the guys who I bowled nationals with all those years. That's my second reunion in bowling thus far.

Four weeks into the league I'm averaging 189. My average at nationals for the five years I bowled was 195, so I guess I'm not that far off. Still, I want to do better.

The more I bowl, the more interested I am in trying to find a team and make the trek to Reno this year. I did a lot of tournament bowling in the 90s, but the ABC was by far my favorite. No contest.

My wife hasn't seen any of this coming, but she's being quite supportive. It was an out of the blue day when I got the itch to bowl the first time this year. Since then I've joined two leagues, bowled three tournaments, bought four balls, and now I'm considering heading to nationals. She thinks its wonderful I have a hobby again, rather than just being a miserable workaholic. What a saint she is.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 04/02/14 09:50 PM

The second game was quite embarrassing, as my Fast wanted to go to the right off of my hand and I ended up double-guttering in the 6th frame. I eventually ended up throwing my Hy-Road on the right lane and salvaged an over-average game in the third game. Both doubles came in the 10th finishing on the left lane (not the right, where I double-guttered).

Result: 168-115-179=462
Average (84 games): 175
Average for last 9 games: 168
Next week's AVG+1 score: 571

My night was so bad Carl was actually high man for us with a 488, but we did win a point third game, as my team needed me to perform in the 10th.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 04/05/14 04:38 PM

I had one of those nights last night where you see you need to learn something, without actually learning anything.

I started with 279 last night. I was throwing the ball great, and the shot was playing nice. At some point in the second game the lanes transitioned. For the second two games I shot 191 and 190. I had a 4-9 and a 7-10...the rest of the night was clean.

I was able to get to the pocket, but I lost the carry. I had one double each game with only missing the pocket three times. Minor adjustments and eventually a ball change weren't enough to get anything strung together.

I've been able to get a 200+ average grinding through games like this, but its clear that if you want to average 230, you can't be content to grind. You have to string. Bigger changes are obviously necessary, but they're hard to make when you're close.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 04/05/14 11:03 PM

My slightly sub-par night on the lanes. I had to recreate my second game on Bowlsk, after trying to edit something in the game and some how my score became all screwed up. I was able to remember what I left and get the score right but couldn't remember all of the stance/target as I know I made some moves. I rolled games of 194, 175 and 195 for a 564. First time in a while that I didn't tank on the last game. Unfortunately I went 2 for 6 on 10 pins. Over the last month or so, corner pins have been an issue for me to pick up. Those missed 10 pins made up 4 of my 7 opens. Two other opens were splits and the last one was leaving a 9 pin on a full rack spare attempt after I fouled, and just barely touching the line but enough. Of course the foul was a strike though.

As a team we won 5 of 7 points. We lost the first game by a fair amount, the second game we won easily and the last game came down to what the opposing anchor and I did. If he struck out and I left a split or just opened I think they had a chance, but after carrying a light hit, he hit light again leaving a 3 (lefty). I picked up my 10 pin and got another 9 count. This also had an effect on total as we were able to take it by 2 pins.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 04/06/14 08:24 PM

I have been priding myself on how I have made changes faster this year. Well I had a regression on Friday. The two lanes were playing very differently. The left lane I was playing 15 out to 7 at the break. I played the right lane the same but was getting different results. I kept getting weak tens. I was slow to change because I thought my release was the problem. First game I was 2 out of 3 on ten pins. 4 bagger to close out a 217. Second game, except for an opening double, I alternated strikes and spares until the fill ball when I threw a split. 208.
I started to make big moves on the right side. I struggled through the first five frames looking for a shot on the right side. I ended up five boards right with my feet on the right lane. Aiming at 11 with my eyes at the arrow, I started to see better results. I strung the last 6 to finish with a 235.
660 series. 7 out of 8 on ten pins. 21 strikes. 1 split.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 04/09/14 10:18 PM

The lanes seemed tough tonight, so I was fairly happy with my 495, because I thought my look was a bit better than a couple of my higher-average opponents.

Result: 183-151-161=495
Average (87 games): 175
Average for last 9 games: 166
Next week's AVG+1 score: 604

As I alluded to, two of my opponents were well under average, and the result for us was three points.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 04/12/14 10:43 PM

This is how my night went as I recorded on Bowlsk. Nothing spectacular and plenty that could have been improved on. I'm still having issues shooting at 10 pins, going 1 for 4. Those 3 misses accounted for half of my 6 opens, with one being a washout and the other two splits. I had games of 185, 222 and 196 for a 603. Unfortunately this wasn't enough to help my team win. We took 1 of 7 points by tying the first game and losing the rest. It's hard to win when someone on the opposing team pre-bowls a 809 and other bowlers on that team put up good numbers the last two games to back up his 298 and 289.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 04/16/14 09:59 PM

Left side spares were my weakness tonight, particularly where my single 7 was involved, as I missed all three of those, and pulled a 2 pin, as well. The positive I'll take from this is that I did find a comfortable line in the third game with my Marvel Pearl for my 215; I just wished my other two games were like my third.

Result: 146-154-215=515
Average (90 games): 175
Average for last 9 games: 163
Next week's AVG+1 score: 617

The opponents' pre-bowls were pretty good, particularly from their anchor, and the bowler present for them had two good games, as well. My team lost all four as a result.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 04/20/14 09:30 AM

Somehow I managed to bowl a 603 series for the second week in a row. This is the full run down of how it happened. I had 8 opens, 5 of those were splits, 2 were washouts and the last was chopping the 3 off of the 3-10. I believe I only threw one shot that I liked and hit flush in the pocket that didn't carry.

The first game I just had issues getting the ball back flush in the pocket. I left several splits involving the 2 and 10, sometimes with other pins sometimes not. A few shots were wide and the ball just didn't get back but even some that I put the ball where I wanted just wasn't finishing strong. So I switched from the Triton to my Hy-Road in the ninth frame and punched out for a 162.

The second game I went clean. I either struck or left only single pins that I covered. Rolled a 226. All but one of the single pins were solely due to execution.

The last game I started out with 3 opens in the first 5 frames. One was a washout, the next was the Greek Church when my line finally started to dry up and the third was a chopped 3 off of the 3-6 following the Greek Church. Then I made the move and ran off a 6 bagger, and then threw a split in the twelfth frame for a 215.

As a team we won 5 of 7 points. We lost the first game by 50 something, won the second by 70 something that put us up in total and won the last game to wrap up total.
Posted by: Gohokies

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 04/23/14 10:02 PM

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone on this board for all the tips. Finished the season tonight with a career high 739 and a new high average of 205.86 for a full season league. Last year I broke 200 for the first time ever thanks to this board and added a few more pins this year. Yeah for technology. Next stop 210.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 04/23/14 10:43 PM

I don't use my Reign of Fire often because I sometimes think I have problems getting it to rev up, but, when I was lost in the second game, I thought to pull it out of my locker with nothing to lose, salvaged something out of the game, then proceeded to have one of my few clean games of the season, which I was proud of also because I converted a couple of splits, including a 3-6-7-10, to stay clean.

Result: 180-146-197=523
Average (93 games): 174
Average for last 9 games: 170
Next week's AVG+1 score: 526

Team won the first game big, lost half of the lead in the second game, then rallied around me to win the third game for three points.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 04/26/14 10:50 PM

This is the full break down of how my night went. I had games of 214, 217 and 184 for a 615 set. I had 5 opens, two were splits, one a 5 pin that during the swing I got this funny feeling in my hand and just tossed the ball up the right side pretty straight, and the last two were chops of two pin clusters. The last game with a slight move inside I kept missing inside of my target line and the ball would be too much in the oil hitting light and leaving multiple pin leaves. As a team we did take all 7 points. We were in a 4 way tie for 14th place, actually sitting at 17th because of pin count, before the night started. We have 2 weeks left and could possibly finish in the top 10 out of 46.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 04/30/14 10:20 PM

<a href="http://www.bowlsk.com/games/view-series.html?series=5666985740337152" target="_blank">My Week 32 bowling, frame-by-frame</a> (Linked to BowlSK sheet)

Second games have generally been the bane of my bowling existence this season, and tonight was another case-in-point. I am now averaging almost a full 10 pins under my first game average in the second game this season.

Result: 187-133-165=485
Average (96 games): 174
Next week's AVG+1 score: 566

Team generally got run over the first two games, but we salvaged the third game.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 04/30/14 10:34 PM

Tomorrow is our last night, and we are in the middle of the pack. We'll roll for sweeper money.

Our Secretary handed out a sheet from his computerized system that listed all games through the year and the average for games 1, 2, and 3. It clearly showed that I got worse as the oil disappeared. I was 12 pins higher average in game 1 over game 3. And, that was contrary to the league average which got higher as the oil was spent. Told me the lanes got easier for those who can't bowl on oil.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 04/30/14 10:53 PM

So last night someone in our league bowled back to back 300's the first two games. Bowled a 252 last game. But he's a lefty so it shouldn't count right? lol

The lanes seemed oilier than usual. Might've been the pair. Split the first shot. Good shot. Time to move already. Split in the 9th frame, messed up a nice recovery from the first frame. finished with a 211

Second game, clean 203. Only double came in the 10th frame.

Third game, this was another game where I had an ill timed split in the 9th frame. I finished with a 219.

Total of 633 series. 21 strikes. 3 split/opens. 6/6 on ten pins.

I used my Reign of Fire the first game. Switched to my Marvel Pearl midway through the second game.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 05/02/14 08:51 AM

Well, we successfully lost the final 2 nights of a 3 night rolloff. Went from 9th to 20th place doing that. Cost me some bucks.

Oh well. there's always next year.

191, wrong ball
236, ball change
210, open 9th and 10th, jeesh Way to finish the year!!
Posted by: SteveH

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 05/03/14 07:13 PM

I certainly have my work cut out for me to raise the bar for the next Fall league. I ended up 177 in one league and 174 in the other. Lack of consistency and execution turned a fairly easy 185/190 or higher into reality.

So just to keep it up and learn, summer league is Wednesdays sanction. Need to get back to work on my footwork, which has become erratic of late. Spend less time on equipment and more time on basics and fundamentals.

Setting a goal to raise the bar and get more 600 series. Make those spares, get more strikes by settling in and focusing. My two teams came in second to last and fourth from last, but both teams are fun, and both leagues are reasonable good ones, that never hurts.

I might even spend some time on Joe Bowler's positioning, if I can figure the math out wink

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 05/03/14 11:26 PM

This is how my night on the lanes went. I had a rocky first two games. My first strike on the right lane came on my fill ball the first game. My first double didn't happen until the tenth frame of the second game. The right lane just gave me trouble. Either I didn't throw a good shot on the right lane or when I did I just couldn't carry. Finally I decided to start piping my plastic ball up the lane just inside of the 5 board. I was able to finally put together a string of strikes. I was able to stay in the pocket, if a bit light and keep the last game clean and manage to hit average on the night. My games were 173, 169 and 247 for a 589. Had I struck out in the last game I could have had a 600 but left a solid 9 in the eleventh. As a team we swept all 7 points going into the end of the season next week. Going into the night we were in twelfth place and probably cracked the top 10.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 05/05/14 10:27 PM

Some stats from the month of April:

Games bowled: 27
Average: 232.07
Highest series: 752
Lowest series: 651
Highest game: 287
Lowest game: 195(!)
Games with 9+ strikes in a row: 2 (270,287)
Games with 11 strikes in a row: 0
Single pin leaves: 64
Single pin spares: 55 (all misses were the 10-pin)
Clean games: 11 (40%)

Some notes:
* From March 19 to April 23 I bowled 34 straight games over 200
* On April 28 that string was broken by the 195 game.
* The next two games in that set were 269-287 which gave me a 556 and was my second highest 2-consecutive game set ever.
* Continued my season-long goal of not missing any non-10-pin single pin spares. This will be an amazing accomplishment if I can do it.
* My 230.81 average on Monday nights cannot be surpassed.
* My current season average of 228.xx would be good for fourth or fifth in the whole DC area association from last year

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 05/06/14 08:21 AM

That's impressive, Dan. Nice bowling.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 05/07/14 09:59 PM

There were just not many strikes out there for me tonight, but I did manage not to hit my -1, so I will be happy to take the one pin year-to-year improvement in my average.

Result: 147-175-154=476
Final average (99 games): 174
Average for last 9 games: 164

We were bowling for a forfeit point in the first game and won it, and, though we lost the other two games, we should get the point for total because of the forfeited first game.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 05/08/14 08:28 AM

One week to go on my Wednesday league and our team wrapped up first place going into the position round. Had a good week 736 series 257-200-279=736.

Monday Night men's ended. Team did not fair well there but finished it with a 680 series.

On to the summer leagues.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 05/10/14 11:36 PM

Wrapped up my Saturday night mixed league today. This is how things went for me tonight. I rolled games of 215, 200 and 206 for a 621 series. I had 4 opens on the night. The first was a 7 pin I didn't line up properly for in the first game. The other 3 were 2 splits and a washout early in the second game. Luckily I got things back on track after that. As a team we swept all 7 points again. We got hot at just the right time winning 21 straight points and 25 of the last 28. We went into the night in ninth place, 2 points behind eighth but with no chance to move higher than sixth depending on how other teams did but it looked like we were going to end up in eighth out of 46 teams. I should end the league with a 196 average.
Posted by: mmalsed

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 05/13/14 02:31 PM

Friday was epic for me - got my new high series.

Back was aching so downed some Ibu and dedicated myself to staying as straight up as possible. . .

First 7 - have a little room inside, maybe a board, and a ton of room outside as long as I keep my hand in it. 8 . . . blew into a 2-8-10. I mean, ouch. Ball just JUMPED on the left lane. Puzzled. Strike in 9 so right lane is okay, try same shot on left to make sure, brooklyn, first fill REALLY heavy strike, so make an adjustment on the last fill (cause. . . who cares? LOL) and ball never recovered. Hmmmmm

Second game - struggle to get 215. Finally figure out that I need to do a 2.5/1 move on the left lane and I'm back in the pocket.

Third game - I'm getting a bit tired. Back is starting to become an issue, but stick with it - 269.

Only open is the 8th in the first game. 759 - my new high series. Me happy! We also took all four points . . . we had been 2 games out of first (top 5 teams were within 3 points) so if we took 4 (which we did) and the top 2 split the points, we would have won the league (we had the pinfall) . . . but no, they missed splitting by 4 pins. . . they were 4 pins apart for total. Bah! ROFL so fourth to second on the last night. I'll take it! laugh

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 05/14/14 12:11 AM

Great series mmalsed, well done.

Bowled 233,226,253 for 712 tonight which is actually my all time high series as well. Actually started the night with 6 spares but then got lined up with the right ball and struck out the rest of the game, then went on to throw 17 strikes in the last two games. Had a couple opens on splits but I felt for the most part I was getting the ball off my hand clean and hitting my target, and throwing at a consistent speed. Those were some things I wanted to work on after struggling last night in my PBAX league debut (something I posted about in the summer league thread).

With tonight's effort I was able to bring my average up to 201. It was at 199 a couple of weeks ago and I wasn't sure if I was going to finish at 200. Actually averaging 201 in both of my leagues now. Have one more week left in this league (thanks snow days) and my other league finishes up on Thursday.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 05/16/14 07:00 PM

Finished up my Thursday league last night with 194, 188, and 215. The lanes were pretty dry and I think everyone in the center struggled. Found a line I could use in the 3rd game and the right ball and strung enough strikes together to finish with a 201 average in this league as well.

This actually wraps up my fall/winter season for 2013-14. I found out that only the first and second half winners will bowl on Tuesday night, the rest are just showing up for food and to collect our prize money. Our team either finished 3rd or 4th, and we're getting a team award for high handicap series, and I am getting an individual award for high handicap series as well. Overall not a bad season but I am capable of doing much better.

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 05/21/14 11:02 AM

Some stats from the month of May:

Games bowled: 21
Average: 223.47
Highest series: 751
Lowest series: 593
Highest game: 289
Lowest game: 177
Games with 9+ strikes in a row: 2 (279,289)
Games with 11 strikes in a row: none
Single pin leaves: 51
Single pin spares: 48 (all misses were the 10-pin)
Clean games: 8 (38%)

Notes:
* Not my best month, but I attribute that to incorporating major changes into my game. Still haven't gotten them down entirely, but when I did...
* I had some great runs. The most recent was 279-289 (that included 20 strikes in a row). I also had 2-268 games in the same set (1st and 3rd games).
* Unfortunately, some inconsistency entered my game, and I had a lot of sub-200 games, which is expected during changes
* I have a tournament to bowl on the 31st, and then I "go dark" for about 7 weeks with no bowling at all while I continue to work out and try to get myself into better physical shape

Re: Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread - 05/22/14 07:07 PM

Our team finished in 1st place out of 26 teams and I got another key chain. USBC league Champions.