2013 summer league thread

Posted by: Richie V.

2013 summer league thread - 05/05/13 01:14 PM

Some of us don't stop league bowling after winter leagues are over...this thread is for those of us who bowl summer leagues. Post what you hope to accomplish in your summer league, or let us know how you're doing so far if your summer league has already started. smile

I'm probably going to be in my usual Wednesday night summer league. I'll probably know when I get a look at my winter league stats on BowlSK (I post a stat breakdown on my blog at the end of my winter league), but I might want to work on my spare game a bit more.
Posted by: 56bird

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/05/13 05:47 PM

In a summer sport shot league. First night was last week, shot something like 795 for four games on Chameleon. Will be thrilled if I can end up with an average in the 190's but we'll see. Chameleon was confusing, too many options and I didn't really like ANY of them.
Posted by: wronghander

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/05/13 08:15 PM

Still got two weeks left in my winter league, but going to be bowling the summer as well on Thursday nights. Looking forward to using the summer to take my game to the next level. Right now I'm at a 180 average but was bowling with older equipment up until a few weeks ago. Now I have a couple of balls and I think that will allow me to get to a 200 average or better. Still gotta work on some things with my release, but since it's still a house shot I don't think it will be that hard to get the extra 20 pins.
Posted by: Bowler15

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/05/13 09:02 PM

I am bowling 3 leagues this summer, one youth/adult, one youth house pattern, and one youth sport pattern league. I hope to be able to jump my house shot average to 215 as i have been averaging around 210, and i hope to be able to average somewhere around 190 on the sport shot, to prepare myself for the North Pointe Junior Gold Championships in July.
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/06/13 08:21 AM

This is my final week for Fall/Winter leagues. Tonight and Tomorrow will end them.

Only signed up for a Peterson point league. It's head to head competition, 5 games per night and 3 matches. Good competition.

Starts in 2 weeks.
Posted by: VampyreBowler

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/06/13 11:08 AM

Tonight is the last night for monday night, got 2 more weeks for wed then the following wed we start the summer. Only real goal is to find a couple more people willing to go to nationals next year.
Posted by: champ

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/06/13 11:31 AM

I still have four or five weeks left in my fall league, and I'm still debating whether I want to bowl over the summer. Two months ago I was bowling great, close to averaging 210 for the season, and quite happy with that. Then it came crashing and burning down, and has left me with the feeling that I just want to take a break.

BUT

I've been invited to bowl a scratch sport league on the USBC National team pattern with a group of very high caliber players who I could really learn a lot from. Not to mention I think it would be a good introduction to sport bowling as this year's team pattern doesn't appear all that difficult (compared to other sport patterns) and I like the idea of bowling 13 weeks on the same pattern, rather than changing every other week.

We'll see what happens.
Posted by: NoThumbNoProblem

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/06/13 05:23 PM

It seems pretty popular for sport pattern leagues to pop up i the summer, probably because a full season may be a bit much for many. I will be joining a sport challenge league for the first time and I'm hoping I can keep a 175 avg. The good thing is it is a 4 game series on a different shot every other week, so you can adjust and learn how to play the pattern, then get a chance at bowling on it fresh and against other players. I may or may not be ready, but I'm hoping to learn how to adjust better and improve overall.
Posted by: BOSStull

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/06/13 09:17 PM

My Summer Wednesday league starts this week. I have to May 30 to decide about the PBA Experience league. Thinking about doing both.
Posted by: Scott Gannon

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/07/13 06:26 PM

Kicked off Summer League last week and got out of the gate strong with a 547 (180, 165, 202). I try to base my goals on execution and keeping my focus so my goals are to not let my mind wander and to keep my focus throughout the night. Also to make the adjustments I know I need to make as the night goes along and not be too stubborn to move as the lanes dictate

That being said if I can do those thing I should be able to beat my average for last summer and last fall which were both exactly the same, 180, so I would like to shoot for the target of 185. I should also increase the number of 200 games which has been down over the past year because of lapses in focus.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/09/13 01:21 AM

6 games on Chameleon tonight. Low game was 170, high game 236. My best look was with my Reign Supreme with MOtion Hole layout. We're ten games in so far*, all of them on Chameleon where I'm averaging around 203

*(we decided to bowl 9 weeks instead of the planned 10, so tonight and next week are 6 games instead of the usual 4, 2 on a pair then switch pairs and opponents for 2 more.)
Posted by: TCJ

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/10/13 04:10 PM

I'm bowling in a PBA Experience league for the first time this summer. I have practiced a bit on some of those lane patterns before, but it hasn't been often. Last time I bowled on Shark was a year ago (and only a few games), so I struggled mightily in the league since that's what we started on. I got a 137 average. After that I practiced four games on it so I could find something and got a 179 average. I should be able to average around that for the whole league, but I just have to learn to play the right shot. A few weeks isn't much time to do that.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/11/13 07:38 AM

Started regular Summer League. Still debating PBA experience after a struggle to start the year. Heavy oil doomed me the first 2 games. Did not have the right equipment for the condition with me but will next week. 204 168 243 615.
Posted by: Bobby

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/12/13 04:44 PM

I'm joining a Kegel Sport league this summer for 14 weeks. I averaged 195 in my last league, so I don't know what to expect realistically. I guess I should be happy with 170?

By the way, does anyone know the reasoning behind the recent rule change for sanctioning in summer is only good for the summer league? When I joined my first sanctioned league a couple years ago it was in summer and I've redone my sanction in the summer every time. I know once I re-sanction in the fall I should be good, but it just sucks that I have to do a full sanction + sport just for summer then re-sanction again for the fall league.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/12/13 05:20 PM

If you bowled a sanctioned league over the winter you should not have to pay a sanction fee for the summer. I did have to pay a sport upgrade which was I think $15 dollars. Normally on the sanction card form there is a line for writing down your USBC membership number and what center and league you paid your sanction in. The sanction is for the entire year, starting in the fall.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/12/13 09:23 PM

I heard about the rule change for summer sanctioning as well, seems to me like it's just a way to make more money of new bowlers. I never heard about more money for sport sanctioning though, guess I'll find out Thursday. I also finished with a 195 last league and was expecting a 170, but the first night I averaged a 181, so hopefully that's a good sign. Thought we were doing Kegel patterns, but it looks like after the USBC Open patterns we'll be doing the world patterns. Any of you have an idea what they will be like?

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/12/13 10:19 PM

I started bowling in the summer and that's when I paid my first sanction fee, so up until this year I've sanctioned in summer and it's carried over a full year. Now my sanction has run out so I'm kind of stuck having to pay sanction in both summer and fall due to the rule change. (although once I pay in fall I shouldn't have to worry about the summer thing again)
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/13/13 08:02 AM

Originally Posted By: NoThumbNoProblem
Thought we were doing Kegel patterns, but it looks like after the USBC Open patterns we'll be doing the world patterns. Any of you have an idea what they will be like?

A lot of the summer leagues that are sport patterns will start out with the USBC pattern(s). That way, people who haven't gone to the tourney yet get a chance to bowl on the patterns before they bowl.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/13/13 09:17 AM

I looked up the rule change. Interesting because when I got back into bowling summer 2010, I paid a sanction fee then AND fall 2010 (going into 2010-2011 season). Supposedly summer sanction fees used to carry over to the following regular season but they did away with that <shrugs>. I guess in my local it didn't fly anyways.

"Article IV, Membership and Dues
Removes the provision that membership purchased in a summer league receives next season's membership.

This won't affect the current summer season, but going forward, a bowler who only bowls a "summer league" will have to purchase a membership for the following season in order to bowl in that next season. As presently structured, the language effectively allows those who only bowl "summer leagues" to pay USBC memberships only every other season due to the "carry over" which has now been removed."
Posted by: mmalsed

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/13/13 11:53 AM

Continued in my habit of bowling "too well" on establishing night. LOL - 215-192-233

Not that I ever sandbag, but it might be nice, now and then, to not bowl over 200avg on my establishing night! LOL

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/13/13 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: mmalsed
Continued in my habit of bowling "too well" on establishing night. LOL - 215-192-233

Not that I ever sandbag, but it might be nice, now and then, to not bowl over 200avg on my establishing night! LOL

I screwed myself (and my doubles teammate) last season by opening a 16 week season with a 695 and then a 727 the next week, and I wouldn't exactly consider myself a 200 avg bowler. Needless to say we ended up placing like 11th out of 16 teams haha.
Posted by: Eternal Bowler

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/13/13 09:44 PM

I'm bowling in our summer adult/youth league which is coming up in 2-3 weeks. It seems there's a lot more interest this year since the Scotch doubles format of last year has been replaced with a regular doubles format.

I think we possibly have the same number of teams as last year's number of people; we had 12 people last year bowling, so give or take a few teams participating this year. I envision good things this coming summer. Unfortunately, I haven't bowled since the last week of my fall/winter youth league...which was the 23 of March. thumbsdown

Basically, I need to get quite some practice in so that I can have a smooth[er] transition into the summer, and then I can, hopefully, come back to my fall league even stronger. I've yet to have an appointment set up with the pro-shop operator but hopefully I can come in soon and get something done before my league starts.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/15/13 10:43 PM

Tonight's bowling, frame-by-frame (Linked to BowlSK sheet)

My second game was a result of distracted bowling while resolving a matter of a missing pay envelope, and I had a better third game once we knew that I did, in fact, give the envelope to our secretary (our treasurer was bowling in his winter league's roll-off tonight, so wasn't doing stuff for summer league).

Result: 169-135-189=493
Average (3 games): 164
Next week's AVG+1 score: 497

My teammates, Liz and Dave, were over their entering averages every game (we took the 150 vacant tonight in the absence of Mike, Liz's husband, who will also be bowling with us). We were hopeful of splitting 4-4, bowling against Eileen's team. Eileen, for her part, had her first clean game in the second game.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/15/13 11:14 PM

Started off my Wednesday Youth Adult league pretty well.
214+203+254=671
First two games were okay third went great up until the tenth where I five spared followed by a strike, still a great game though. I set my average high and now i hope i can keep it.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/16/13 12:17 AM

Bowled 6 games on a short pattern tonight, I think it was Kegel Broadway. Started with a 180's game and a 160's game, terrible execution. I sorted out my timing and didn't roll under 200 again, finished over 1200 for the 6 and keeping my average for the sport shot league somewhere over 200 for the moment. My best look ended up being with my pin-down Mission. I found it interesting, the oil seemed to carry down and lanes get tighter as the night wore on, I actually dropped my ball speed about 1mph for the last two games which worked REALLY WELL, targeting 5 on one lane and 6 on the other (at the arrows, probably around 3-4 at the break point). Really enjoying this experience so far.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/20/13 01:47 PM

ugh - this week was harsh. Lanes MIGHT have been a bit drier, but practice showed the same shot as the week before in which I got 640 - it felt comfortable.

Then I noticed who we were bowling against. For some reason the guy just raises my hackles and puts me off my game. Of course, he was on ABSOLUTE fire, except when he was throwing the frame, which he was doing after 6th frames. Once he felt he had the game wrapped up, everything changed. His approach, his delivery. . . Except for any frames needed for Brunswick Bucks. Really threw me off - really fought to get 528. frown

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/20/13 05:42 PM

Last Tuesday had one of those nights I usually only dream about. Not only a 600 series but every game over 210 (214, 212, 218). Had only 2 opens all night (both on 10 pins) and everything seemed to go right. Broke up about 3 splits and had several Brooklyn strikes as well as a couple of very high hits go. Generally though I was pretty solid just got some key breaks. Team won all 4 (3 games and totals). I was able to carry the team the first two games while teammates were struggling. Last game we all bowled good.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/20/13 10:39 PM

Started my sport shot league with a 720 for 4 games on chameleon.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/22/13 10:57 PM

My big problem was not stringing strikes together tonight, but, where I only missed one spare that wasn't a split or washout, my spare game mostly saved me. Particularly, I left seven 10 pins tonight, and didn't miss (the easy miss was a single 7).

Result: 179-184-167=530
Average (6 games): 170
Next week's AVG+1 score: 516

Mike joined us tonight, but two of us couldn't repeat last week, so we were crushed in two of the games, winning only the second.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/22/13 11:05 PM

Two more sets of two games each on the short pattern (Broadway, I think). 405ish the first set, and a disappointing 356 the second set. I needed to make a few moves but honestly didn't feel that I was making good enough shots to adjust off of. Oh well, will try and get more practice in this week. Average is still hanging in just over 200 after 20 games, on to Shark next week!
Posted by: FuriousSam

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/23/13 12:30 AM

Started my summer league in a new house I played a total of 5 times since I knew about it (synthetic approach and synthetic lanes which I hate, always get stuck). And with the A/C out which made my life living hell, I switch to a very slick sole and shorten my approach by like a foot and a half. What it did was it made me became a really late timer, but it also allow my upper body to stay straighter... something to think about.

-- Sam

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/23/13 06:16 AM

Supposedly, bowling in a PBA league is to help the bowler work on many things in his approach, release, speed, etc. As, any shortcomings in a bowler's style is magnified on these patterns. Many bowlers get frustrated with this type of league, as they are not that well schooled to understand how to read oil patterns, control their tempo, and even match up the right equipment to the condition, while trying to force their shot rather then take what the lane gives them.

The best PBA league I ever bowled in was one where there was coaching and assistance provided by the house Pro.

So, as one of the junior bowler instructors in this house, I recommended this approach to the House to help the junior PBA league. After week 1, the house conducted a meeting with the junior bowlers and parents, to see if they wanted this. It was a resounding YES, as many of the kids were having trouble. They were then asked to recommend a coach out of the 5 junior coaches in the house who would help the most. I was the one the juniors selected.

Well, I was approached with this idea. Not being one of the top bowlers in this house, or a card carrying pro, but certified in coaching, I thought there were better qualified bowlers. But, the house pushed me to consider it.

So, I accepted. Now, I haven't been in a PBA League for a couple of years, and solicited the help of the Pro Shop guy, who has turned into a friend and knows his stuff as a Silver Coach. And, between us, we roamed the lanes in this league (12 lanes of 3-man teams, mostly Jr High and Freshmen bowlers).

I quickly found the biggest problem was lining the bowlers up on the Viper. As, bowlers of this age were not adept at playing different lines and reading the condition or ball reaction. We routinely work on style, release and timing during the regular season. There was an immediate favorable outcome, as the bowlers weren't fighting their usual comfort stance and target. The bowlers responded well and actively asked for help. I was pleased at their eagerness to learn, and how often they asked for help. These kids really want to learn, and I'd like to think that their familiarity with me and faith in my ability to work with them over the last couple of years they have known me, led to their comfort to inquire.

There was much improvement on this night, and the kids were not as frustrated as they were after the first night. Many kids and parents thanked me and the pro shop guy for helping.

I think this will be successful. And, I must admit, personally gratifying.
Posted by: VFF57

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/23/13 08:21 AM

Quote:
The best PBA league I ever bowled in was one where there was coaching and assistance provided by the house Pro.

+1. I wish that was available in my area. I don't see how a center can expect THS bowlers to just walk in a PBAx league and start competing for cash and have fun. It can be a real frustrating experience and do more harm than good without some coaching. If the centers offered a way to ease bowlers into bowling on sport patterns they probably would have much more interest in these types of leagues.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/23/13 01:09 PM

After much debate as to whether I wanted to bowl over the summer or not, my girlfriend suggested we join a league together. She's never bowled before, and though we've been together for four years and she's never shown much interest in league bowling, suddenly she's very enthusiastic to give it a shot. I'm looking forward to it. We start tonight.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/23/13 01:14 PM

After much debate as to whether I wanted to bowl over the summer or not, my girlfriend suggested we join a league together. She's never bowled before, and though we've been together for four years and she's never shown much interest in league bowling, suddenly she's very enthusiastic to give it a shot. I'm looking forward to it. We start tonight.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/24/13 12:01 AM

Started my summer league with a 213+180+268=661. Got a tip from a pro on my release the other day and it really helped me out. I was getting a lot more rotation on the ball than I had been which resulted in more strikes. Also using a wrist support which is helping me stay consistent with my release. Had a 5-bagger in the first but then struggled in the 2nd game with some weird splits and had my only missed single pin of the night. In the 3rd game ended up starting with a double, then 9/, then a 7-bagger, followed by 9/ to close it out for my all time high game and series.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/24/13 12:32 AM

Wasn't too thrilled about tonight. I shot 211, 194 (clean), and 184 for 589. I started getting bad over/under in the middle of the second game, and couldn't put anything together. My last game would have been another clean 190 of not for a 10th frame split.
Posted by: VampyreBowler

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/24/13 11:33 AM

Started my summer league this past wednesday. Didn't bowl this league last year. Went in as a league member came out as league secetary with a 5 min stint as league president. None of the previous league officers came back from last year.

Didn't bowl that well to start went 177-210-237.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/27/13 10:46 AM

Wednesday league I practiced my 10 pin shooting. I was 10 of 10 thumbsup in a 3 game set brickwall 210 227 203 640

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/27/13 06:37 PM

I find this strange. Even though I am not bowling, I did sign up for a Monday league. And, it is bowling tonight. Are others bowling on Memorial Day?

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/27/13 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
I find this strange. Even though I am not bowling, I did sign up for a Monday league. And, it is bowling tonight. Are others bowling on Memorial Day?

That's interesting. My league is on Thursdays but we won't bowl on July 4th this year (although I would have preferred if we did since the summer is so short and we're losing another Thursday in June to the center being rented out).

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/29/13 12:06 AM

Another meh kind of night. 175, 190, 221 for 586. Average is at 195 for six games. I missed two single pins, and had four splits, but I'm starting to show signs of my early season self returning (that's a good thing) so I'm hoping I'm almost through this slump. My goal was to average 210 over the summer, so I need to turn it on soon.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/29/13 05:59 PM

For the first 5 weeks my average is up 10 pins from last year (180 in both Summer 2012 and Fall Winter 2012-2013 league). Had my 2nd 600 series of the season last night (222, 190, 194). Seem to be zeroed in mentally at this point. Hoping I can stay focused and keep executing like I have been. Bad thing is team lost all 4 points because of running into a hot team.
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/29/13 06:04 PM

Started PBA Experience Trios last night and we started out on the 2013 Cheetah Pattern.

First thoughts were that the pattern played a little easier than the last couple renditions (that had an OB on 1-2) but interesting enough was a miss right caused the ball to hook uncontrollably across the head pin and misses left tended to over hook early but quickly started to "wiggle" as the oil moved around.

Overall it was a decent start for me, 190-147-207-269 to finish up +13 over the four game league set (813). Game two I missed a few easy spares as well as I had quite a few splits that just killed me score wise.

For the night I will take it, we were up against the wall (which always hooks) and we were on short so combined that typically makes it difficult but I was able to stay ahead of the transition somewhat decently.

For those that are interested, I was throwing my Reign of Power OOB, started the night 17-8, games two and three I moved a little left and went to 18-8 and my fill shot of game three I made the jump to 20-9 and stayed their the rest of the night. Mid way through game one I switched hand positions from my typical 55 degrees of axis rotation to bringing my index and pinkie together and dropped my axis of rotation to about 30 degrees and stayed with that throughout.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/29/13 09:32 PM

1st night of Shark tonight. I never felt 100% lined up in practice, but seeing another righty shooting the lights out with a Defiant Soul I decided to go to my Taboo. 1st frame, left a 3-6-10, spared it with my plastic, but liked what I saw from the ball reaction and said "I can work with this". Made a very small adjustment with my feet, made sure to keep my speed down and sighted at the dots instead of the arrows as usual. 10 in the pit for the next three shots. Our leadoff bowler was just about ready to bowl the fifth frame when the lights went out... GAHHHH! Might have had something to do with the violent thunderstorms and rumored tornado nearby. Power company said power would be out until at least 10:30 so we're going to pick it back up on Monday.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/29/13 10:26 PM

I threw some poor shots in the first game, which I eventually traced to a timing issue by the second game. A promising trend so far in this league is that I've only missed four single pin spares in nine games.

Result: 159-191-177=527
Average (9 games): 172
Next week's AVG+1 score: 526

As a team, we couldn't get much going as far as running strikes, and we lost all eight. Dave had a 200 third game, and he told me he's been in that territory before.
Posted by: FuriousSam

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/29/13 11:21 PM

In this new house for the summer, it's like I am learning how to bowl all over again... Last week I averaged 160 (202 then a 126...), this week started with a 160 again but ended up with a 540. My swing, timing, targeting were so off and it's only been two weeks since I finished fall. We'll see what happens next week I guess.

-- Sam

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/30/13 10:27 PM

150+226+179=555 tonight. Broke in my Sure Thing which I just got the other day and I really like this ball. The problem for me tonight though was just inconsistency and bad spare shooting. Missed 3 easy spares in the first game and after coming back with a clean 2nd game and starting the 3rd with /,X,/,X,X left a 7-9 split then a few frames later whiffed a 7 pin and didn't strike for the rest of the game and could only manage 179. Still averaging over 200 so far though.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/30/13 11:39 PM

Started a new league today and was very disappointed in my performance i bowled 204+236+163 for a 603 this is after bowling 566 yesterday in a league where i averaged 230 and bowling poorly the day before as well.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 05/31/13 08:41 AM

Sometimes, it's just the order of the game scores. If they had been 163-204-236, you would have been more satisfied with improvement through the night.

A 163 final game leaves you with a sour taste on the night.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/03/13 01:33 PM

So found a DISTINCT difference between the left end of the house and the right end. For some reason, the farther right you go in our house, the more conditioner you find on the lanes. . . and since I've been playing on the middle-to-right side of the house for the past year or so, I don't have anything set up for a lack of oil. Sigh.

So I started Friday with my oldest ball, and it was okay during practice. I was still WAY left in both feet and target, and while I was able to turn the corner and hit the pocket, it was touch and go with 4 splits in game 1. 162 - NOT happy. Right at the end, I put it away and pulled out my IQ Tour Pearl. I figured if I was gonna be that far left, I might as well do it with a ball that smelled good! LOL

Second game, I'm lined up close to the same, but my target is a bit farther right. I'm able to keep it in the pocket and am getting a ton of swishy strikes - which I'm fine with. Only a couple of corner pins, one of which I leave as my ball bounces off my leg (HATE it when I do that. . .) 221 and I'm happy. I take the dollar back I lost to my buddy. His high game 222 is still up so that quarter is in jeopardy.

Third game, harder. I have to project the ball way down the lane to keep it going right. Loft to just before the arrows works. Not sure why, don't really care. Get it there, and it's golden. I have room right (several times my F-in-law thought it was going to the channel, but nope, came back with a vengeance) - I take third game and high game with 230. He still beat me for total by 10 pins. . . sigh. LOL

613 scratch, and I think I'm getting comfortable making the adjustments on these dry lanes. Wish I had the scratch to get a dry-lanes ball, but for now I'll either re-drill one to get it weak, or flex my muscles. . . either way I'll make it work.

I was fourth high average - think I'll be third since he was really struggling. . .
Posted by: Fin09

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/03/13 01:45 PM

Strange night last Wednesday- our league followed a big & little league with a few small kids bowling. I noticed that a couple of them shot series scores of 90 and 84, so I knew they were spraying plastic all over (and off) the place. I had a fairly decent look in practice, but a few frames in, the back ends got really tight, and even most of my stronger equipment was laboring. If I got it out past where I normally play in there, it would check up early, and if I got a pinch fast, or missed in by a board, I was barely getting it to the head pin. 186-212-212-610 with splits in the 10th of the first 2 games. Average is the lowest it's been in a THS league in years- 221.5 after 2 weeks. Only bright spot was that I kept a 600+ streak of 67 straight (2 winter leagues from 10/18 on through the first 2 weeks of summer) alive by punching out in the 10th of game 3.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/05/13 12:09 AM

Yesterday I finally met with my coach after a three month slump. Within just a few frames, he was able to determine why I'd become train wreck, and we corrected the problem by the end of the hour we spent together. I finished the day with a 266 and left with a lot of confidence I'd been missing for quite some time.

Tonight I shot 259, 192, 228 for 679. That's the best I've bowled since the end of February. I only missed the pocket once all night which resulted in a Greek Church. That and a whiffed 10 were my only opens.

Don't be stubborn. Call your coach when the wheels fall off.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/05/13 01:12 PM

Shot 106, 134, 124 for my first week of the adult-youth doubles league last evening/night. Nope, my winter book average is not misleading this time. I did catch some video of it which will make its debut in the video I was talking about! I have more time to work on it since yesterday was my last day of - my sophomore year? What is going on with all these months and years passing by? Anyhow, back on topic.

I remember there was one shot (and even if it was only one, it still made me feel much better) during one of the games - I can't remember which one - where I really felt like I hit my target and the ball made its way to the pocket. It was a high flush textbook pocket strike, something very rare for me. I just couldn't help but think, "Holy crap, that was a truly good shot! Now if only I could repeat that..." I think my carry is improving, but none of my other strikes were like that; I think they were all Brooklyns; one was a result of me missing inside by three boards (I actually paid attention to my targeting...) and I knew it was going to at least cross over, if not hook into the 4-7 or even the 7-pin.

I still need to work on my spare-shooting; I do think a few of the spares I shot could have been converted if I was using a spare ball, but mine's still undrilled. However, a lot of my unconverted or even whiffed spares were a result of a targeting issue, as I found out the hard way. I did the whole flattening out my release thing...nope, wasn't quite foolproof. I'm likely going to go to practice sessions on Sundays at a different center once every week or two this summer - at least I hope this will be what happens...

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/05/13 01:39 PM

I was a model of consistency last night on the PBA 2013 Viper Pattern:

211-146-268-176 for an 801.

I threw my Reign of Power pretty much the entire night, second game I threw the Freak'n Frantic a few shots, 8th-10th of game four I switched to the IQ Tour Pearl.

Considering Viper is a pattern I am typical weak on (and I missed practice due to my car breaking down) I was more than happy with the 801. I would have loved finding something better in that second game but I just shot at too many 3-4 pin spares and it cost me.

So far in the PBAX League I have shot 815-801 so both series I was plus, both series I had a 14X in game two and a 26X shortly there after.

Next week we are on 2013 Chameleon so hopefully I can keep the strong start/finish going and simply improve my transition game score to really bump that series up. Be nice to put up a big set on a pattern I am typically very strong on but as of now I am the high average in the league, we are in first place so I just have to keep managing the games.
Posted by: Joe Bowler

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/05/13 02:44 PM

Nice bowling, Sk8. Viper is harder than it looks.

I was very excited to get started with my Summer PBA Experience league on Monday. We will be bowling 2 weeks each on Viper, Scorpion, Bear, Chameleon, Badger, and Wolf. I was disappointed we won't be bowling on Cheetah or Shark, but I love the thought of going from a 52-foot pattern (Badger) one week to a 32-foot pattern (Wolf) the next...yikes! The lane surface is Brunswick Pro Anvilane (harder synthetic) and they have the downlane markers I have been wanting to get some practice on.

At the end of the winter league, instead of updating equipment like I usually do, I purchased Blueprint software. With it, I have been able to test, refine, and in some cases, discard various ideas that I have had about drilling, layouts, arsenal strategy, targeting systems, lane play strategy, etc., some of which I have posted about here. There is a lot churning in my brain. More to come on that later.

First night on Viper yielded scores of 204, 189, 212, 213, for an 818 4-game series. I used my Ascent Pearl first two games, and then switched to the QZ2 Backdraft for the last two. I was pretty happy with the results since in the past I have always struggled on Viper. Below is the approximate line I was playing (courtesy of Blueprint).

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/05/13 10:22 PM

I would have felt better about my night if I didn't butcher my single pins (only made one of five), but I did manage two games over my average and got my +2.

Result: 182-196-171=549
Average (12 games): 174
Average for last 9 games: 178
Next week's AVG+1 score: 526

Team eked out the first game, but lost the other two, the third game handily on the strength of the first honor score (a 290 game) I've ever had shot against me.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/06/13 12:01 AM

Humbled by Shark. Need to learn how to play a lot further left than I'm comfortable doing. Not sure how to practice that on a THS, can't get honest feedback. Best look was with Track 503C, some triples, a couple 190s. Viper up next week.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/06/13 11:06 PM

181+197+212=590 tonight for me. Should have been over 600 though as I missed 2 single pins. Also had to deal with transition tonight. Even though I was the only lefty on the pair the lanes started to change for me in the 2nd game and fortunately it was after I had an opening turkey which allowed me to get the 197. Last game I finally found the line to the pocket and managed to bowl just well enough to keep my average at 200.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/07/13 03:03 PM

Completely embarrassed on Beijing pattern last night. Going in I had the usual game plan for the mostly flat 35' pattern, play up 8 and out to 4 with solid speed and soft touch. That worked for about 4 frames and then since 6 of the other 7 were all crossing in that tight area, we all started to get over/under. I tried the minor adjustments and could not find a consistent line, mostly due to me being less than comfortable with more straight up play. I shot 160 and 170 the first two games due to trying just about every line with no luck. 3rd game I put up a pitiful 136 because of 5 splits, just couldn't control anything I put out out. Then the 4th game I tried to really take everything off the ball as if I was shooting 10s, break the wrist a bit and let the ball and lane do most of the work. Shot a 248 on the final game and saving a slight bit of face. Hopefully I can apply what I learned next week on the same pattern and post 190+ for the night.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/10/13 06:29 PM

Since last week's lanes were so flippin dry, I had the guy in the pro-shop polish up my IQTP a bit so it would get down the lane just a touch better.

Of course, what did this mean? The lanes had at least a normal amount of oil on them. LOL - prep for one and you'll get the other.

No big - use practice to find the line - still with the Butterscotch Bomber - it's well to the right, but entry is nice.

First game is clean - 237. Didn't miss a 10 pin (four of them).
Second game is clean again - 244. 9/ in the 5th, 7/ in the 9th, and 8/ in the 10th - picked them all up. Very happy.

But it's been a week - we've had three family members pass away in 9 days - and now I'm just wiped. I need cake! LOL

Third game was ugly - 162. Missed a 6-10, and two 10's. Went home and fell over.

Lesson - cake, plus ibuprofen. . . LOL

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/11/13 06:21 AM

I'll skip the cake, but make it a double on the ibuprofen. Second week on "Viper", and nothing above 180. This week played nothing like last week. There was a dripping wet out-of-bounds 7 and out, for both lefties and righties. How are you supposed to target your breakpoint in the middle of a skid zone? I left my most aggressive equipment home. You shouldn't need it on Viper. I had higher hopes for this bowling center. Why? Why? Why?

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/11/13 09:06 AM

I think if there is a downside to being in a sport league, it's the notion that the centers aren't a lot more adept at putting the patterns down than some of us are at playing them. It makes it a little bit hard-to-know whether the issue is the condition or the bowler, but Viper should hook from outside, regardless.

The most frustrating part of playing Shark for me, was the lack of "feedback" from the lanes. Usually on a THS, within a few shots I can "sense" what the lane wants from me in terms of equipment and line choices. Shark would give you one shot, ten in the pit... then you'd think you repeated that shot and either flag the head pin or thru the nose. Tells me that I was playing where the pattern was very FLAT but the trouble was, the place where there was a little bit of area was so far left on the lane and way outside my current comfort zone.

Chameleon played true to what I expected, only confusing in that there were different choices how to play it. They substituted Broadway for Cheetah, my only comment was that Broadway played a little tighter than I'd expected but other than that, straight forward.

Thanks to your post Joe, I'll have just a touch more agita about starting on Viper tomorrow night smile
Posted by: rrb6699 (RayRay)

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/11/13 10:31 AM

I agree. The sport league i am in seems to be either using MINIMAL required units or oil, or they are not stripping before the application of the shot. today they have a practice session for Chameleon tomorrow nite. Thus far, every sport shot put down had no gutter (cheetah, viper and now Chameleon). to me they all put down reverse block because that was the characteristic except the heads were very dry and then there was oil on the gutters. even way down the lane at the 50' plus mark.

any ideas if i'm close on this or they just do not know how to do the sport shots?
R/R

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/11/13 11:00 AM

Fortunately, one of my teammates I have bowled leagues and tournaments with, and we both know each other's game fairly well, even though he is a righty power player and I am a lefty stroker. It works out great when we need a reality check. Unfortunately for both of us, he struggled worse than I did last night.

This summer league, we are both paying more attention to breakpoints and watched each other's ball reaction depending where it rolled relative to the downlane markers. After 4 games it was clear. 7 board and out was a washout or worse. 8 board had a good chance of hitting high unless everything was just right. Playing deeper and the ball would hook a few feet in front of the headpin. Playing outside with a weak piece, and it would squirt past the breakpoint.

I think if I brought my stronger equipment (2 Cruel 1000 dull and/or Raptor Talon 500 dull), I would have been able to play straight up the oil outside, using it for hold. My lessons learned for the night are 1) to bring all my equipment and 2) do a better job managing my disbelief. In short, the shot is what it is no matter what I think it should be, how it played last week, or the bowling center's reputation.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/11/13 08:39 PM

ok, i did the practice session today and did fairly well. I used a weak wrist and kept it quiet. i will post a video of a couple of shots i made. one with my Track10 Urethane and one with my Quantum reactive. You cant hear it too good, but, i stood at 15 and threw 10 with the Track10 urethane and stood 20 and threw 7 (hit 8 most of the time) with my Quantum with success on the Chameleon. I had a choice of shots but settled on these for each ball and had good carry.

I only have one reactive piece at this point and that is the Quantum. I'm looking at the ball list you gave me and watched a couple of SK8's vids also. I may have enough cash to pick up a ball soon. Not sure what to decide on for the next ball yet.

I may try to make my way to bowlingball.com's lanes there in Ormond Beach, FL and try to throw some of their demo balls. i never did this before so, i dont know what or how those balls are set up. i know they would have to put block fingers in them so i could hold on to them. As a customer they said they would watch me using my own equipment then we can get my rev rate, pap, etc... i may just get a medium-heavy cover set up to rev so i can change speed or hand position to cover different conditions until i can get another ball.

can you or anyone tell me what to ask before i do this?
also look for my videos in the videos section of the board and give me some feedback.

R/R

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/11/13 10:04 PM

With help from Blueprint, I figured out exactly what happened in the PBA Experience league, whether the bowling center is willing to admit it or not. They put down the Shark pattern instead of Viper. How can I be sure? Take a look at these simulated screenshots on Shark using a Track 300C, equivalent of my Ascent Pearl. Targeting straight up 6-7 hits the pins at board 12 (washout). Moving inside just 1 board, targeting straight up 7-8 hits the pins at board 20 (high hit). That is exactly what we were seeing, but none of us expected they switched the pattern on us. Argh! Case closed. Next week...Scorpion...well, maybe.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/11/13 10:59 PM

gawd. that is similar to what i think happened in our sport league. every week so far it has been soaked on the gutters and dry in the middle. i thought some of these patterns played similar to house shots but not here. anyway, it confirms what i thought and now you are sure what happened in your league too.

we are at week 6 tomorrow (Wed nite) and this is the last Chameleon. this league is not using the newer patterns. teh last 2 weeks will be the US Open pattern and the last week we vote on what pattern we want. should be interesting.

R/R

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/12/13 08:43 AM

Originally Posted By: rrb6699 (RayRay)
gawd. that is similar to what i think happened in our sport league. every week so far it has been soaked on the gutters and dry in the middle. i thought some of these patterns played similar to house shots but not here. anyway, it confirms what i thought and now you are sure what happened in your league too.

A few years ago, I bowled at a different house in their supposed PBA Experience league. Week after week, it was the same soaked gutters, dry middle. I averaged 170-180. The president of the league, who was over 70 years old, rolled a straight ball up 15 board on every pattern, and was high average in the league (190s). I was na´ve to think that was the way the patterns were supposed to play. It is not. The different PBA shots should be challenging, but playable, and only a few have a distinct out-of-bounds.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/12/13 09:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
They put down the Shark pattern instead of Viper.

That makes sense to me. I'd almost believe Scorpion too but Shark makes sense. Like I said before, Viper should hook from the outside, no matter what.

Always have a "in case of extremes, break glass" ball on the oiler side and on the dry side just in case.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/12/13 11:30 AM

Originally Posted By: RickSchott
They put down the Shark pattern instead of Viper.

That makes sense to me. I'd almost believe Scorpion too but Shark makes sense. Like I said before, Viper should hook from the outside, no matter what.

Always have a "in case of extremes, break glass" ball on the oiler side and on the dry side just in case.

Lesson learned about bringing all my equipment, and leaving home any disbelief. For grins, see the difference below with the same two shots one board apart w/ the same ball on Scorpion. Unlike Shark's 8 boards difference at the pins because of the out-of-bounds, only a fraction of a board difference with Scorpion, as it should be. Note this is not the ball I would likely use or the line I would likely play on Scorpion. I am just showing the difference in the ball reaction between the two patterns. Shark is like a golf course with water hazards. It is not unplayable, but it helps to know the location of the puddles, and to have the right equipment to fit it in between.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/12/13 02:14 PM

I hear that. Catching the OOB and taking the 6 and 9 pins ONLY out of a full rack on Shark was a new experience for me worried Scorpion actually has played ok for me, it's mostly a matter of closing my angles down. At our house Scorpion had more of a "I suggest you don't try to roll to far outside" than an actual "OOB".

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/12/13 10:42 PM

It's amazing what happens when you concentrate on the simple things, and all I was thinking most of the night was "Ring finger. Ring finger." The result was a night that was my third 700, one pin off of my personal best series, and with my best league game since Apr. 20, 2011. Would have liked to have covered two of my 10s, but I had only one open in each game (the other a light 7-10 that got no messenger love). And it was a rare night in another way: All three games were over 200, and I hadn't done that in a few years.

Result: 203-257-246=706
Average (15 games): 187
Average for last 9 games: 198
Next week's AVG+1 score: 579

We had another strong team tonight, and with me going so well, I didn't need my teammates much, but I still got at least one game over average from everyone. Team took seven of eight after tying the first game, and I got the tie by striking out in the 10th (and knowing I needed to to tie, which provided a shot of confidence that carried me the rest of the night).

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/12/13 10:47 PM

Tonight started well then went downhill fast. First game shot 247 i was feeling good next game i lost everything and shot my lowest game in about a year with 139 then came back a little and shot 203 however the third game was a disappointment as well because i whiffed an 8 pin in the tenth for our team to lose by 4.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/12/13 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Richie V.

It's amazing what happens when you concentrate on the simple things, and all I was thinking most of the night was "Ring finger. Ring finger." The result was a night that was my third 700, one pin off of my personal best series, and with my best league game since Apr. 20, 2011. Would have liked to have covered two of my 10s, but I had only one open in each game (the other a light 7-10 that got no messenger love). And it was a rare night in another way: All three games were over 200, and I hadn't done that in a few years.

Result: 203-257-246=706
Average (15 games): 187
Average for last 9 games: 198

We had another strong team tonight, and with me going so well, I didn't need my teammates much, but I still got at least one game over average from everyone. Team took seven of eight after tying the first game, and I got the tie by striking out in the 10th (and knowing I needed to to tie, which provided a shot of confidence that carried me the rest of the night).

Great set Richie, way to go. thumbsup

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/12/13 11:25 PM

that's interesting. i think 'pink'y when i bowl but, it ends up being ring finger and pinky together. were you using it to aim or just think hit the ball? i use it for both most of the time unless i use my index finger for same.
R/R

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/13/13 12:43 AM

Ray, mostly, it means leading the downswing and release with your ring finger, which should also help you stay under the ball. It's a concept first taught by John Jowdy.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/13/13 05:49 PM

sorry i dont see a color key. is the red heavier oil or less oil. to me that i thought means less oil and green -> blue is heavier. sorry the images are a bit small to see other than the line and of course, the approximate board at arrows. i play scorpion next week for the first time (that i know of) and this is the first sport league i have ever tried. i think i will make sure i get to the practice session they set up the lanes the day before the league.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/13/13 06:46 PM

Nice bowling, Richie. Great key to focus on...leading with the ring finger. I also like to think of the V between the index and middle finger and keeping it behind and under the ball.

RayRay, below is an overview of Scorpion. The color key is the vertical bar to the right of the lane. I agree it is a little strange for the color red to be the highest volume of oil. When I think red, I think dry, not oil. But, that is how it displays in Blueprint.

If you right click and save the picture, then open it, it appears normal size. I am not sure how to make it appear larger here.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/14/13 01:38 PM

Great set, Richie!!

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/14/13 02:32 PM

I know you can do it in Firefox, and you should really be able to do it in any browser...you can also right-click and choose "View Image" to view something full size w/o having to download it again.

And I think we're so used to blue = oil b/c the Kegel program sheets for oil patterns are so familiar now.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/14/13 06:35 PM

hey, i just had to find this post and comment to you. I tried the ring finger instead of the pinky and man what a difference! I was releasing the ball better and the racks were just exploding. I had many racks blow out with carry and even messengers coming back across and hitting the ten pin (it it had stood in the first place). i'm hoping you gave me one of the 'ah-ha' moments everyone is talking about out here. i wont know until Saturday night where i am going to this house in Mt. Dora FL that has a 42' house pattern. thanks for the ah-ha!
RayRay

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/14/13 08:12 PM

"Another satisfied customer"..."We aim to please", Ray. laugh

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/15/13 11:19 PM

dam... when on a poker run today and got stuck in the rain so i missed the bowling this evening. guess i'll have to pick up on monday in a practice session. i forgot to tell you how well that worked on both dry head shot lanes and THS 38' oil. well, you know how bowling is but, looks like my control is back! thanks again. keep the tips coming. will get some videos out in that section of the site this week hopefully.
R/R
Posted by: vdubtx

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/17/13 03:04 PM

hey, i just had to find this post and comment to you. I tried the ring finger instead of the pinky and man what a difference!
What was the tip given you were using? Went back a few pages and did not see or I probably missed what it was.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/17/13 04:11 PM

Focusing on keeping the ring finger behind the ball and extending it towards the target. It's used by quite a few certified coaches, and I believe it was mentioned either on this thread or another similar one that John Jowdy is credited with this practice. I have used it, and to change my ball roll a little, I've focused on the middle finger, too. Doing that gets my ring finger a little further inside, giving me a little more end over end roll.
Posted by: vdubtx

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/17/13 04:44 PM

Thanks Fin09

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/19/13 05:39 AM

First night on Scorpion. Lanes were exceptionally tight even for Scorpion. I overheard that the bowling center is experimenting with Kegel Ice lane conditioner over the summer. The best ball reaction for the lefties was straight up 3 board. The top lefty in the league was bowling next to me, and I watched him bounce ball after ball off the pocket and leave all kinds of unusual spares and every pin in the back row.

The first two games, I managed to grind out a couple 190's with my Ascent Solid sanded 1000 dull. I liked how it was rolling; my challenge was staying behind the ball. Too much axis rotation and it would not make it back to the pocket. That is one of the differences bowling on a sport shot versus a house shot. On a THS, those shots with a little "extra" would be deep in the pocket instead of light hits.

Once the Ascent Solid became shiny, it was done for the night. The next two games were spare shooting practice while searching for a next best ball reaction. The last game started with 7 out of 8 single pin leaves, mostly 7 pins. Next week, plan A is to bring a bottle of Simple Green and try to continue using the Ascent Solid into the third and fourth games. Plan B, something I did not think to try this week, will be to use an even weaker ball, my Ascent Pearl, to move out to the ditch.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/19/13 07:33 AM

I'm not bowling over the Summer. but, I am assisting the Juniors I have coached in a Summer PBA league.

Most of the bowlers are in the local High School, and aspire to be on the School team. We also have a few from other near by schools who don't have a PBA league near them. One bowler, who I really don't know, but have seen, is the high average High School bowler who has graduated and will attend college with a bowling team.

All I can say about this bowler is that he is a really good house shot bowler, but is really struggling on the Pro shot. As I was instructed, my purpose is to help the bowlers read the pattern, and make adjustments in alignment. It was assumed that these bowlers don't need help with mechanics, as this is not our purpose. But, as I now closely watch this bowler, BOY DOES HE NEED HELP. He over powers the ball. He pulls his arm behind him, and has no straight swing plane. He puts too much side rotation on the ball which gives him a splash on a house shot,but this problem is magnified on a Pro shot to a slide downlane. All of his equipment is dictated by his Father, all highly polished, and all pearl. And, none of his equipment works on the Shark which raised his frustration.

The worst thing is his Father, who taught him, is the volunteer coach for the HS, and refuses to let anyone else change his Son's style. Boy, is this kid going to be in a rude wakening when he gets in front of a college coach.

I've recommended another Private coach, who I think could work with him well, as they would both be left handed, and this coach is a PBA card holder and Silver level. I know that coach well, but don't think the Father will accept this.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/19/13 10:29 PM

Really, the difference physically between last week and this week was that I was sleep-deprived last week. You might not think you bowl well in that state, but when I asked the pro shop guy about it after bowling tonight, he told me there was something to that, because you tend to be more relaxed when you're sleep-deprived. I don't know if this is something I want to try to do intentionally, however, because I also know that quality of sleep is also a good indicator of one's overall mental health; I do have a mental illness, and I've told some of the bowlers I know the specific one (it is being managed with medication).

Result: 165-166-169=500
Average (18 games): 183
Average for last 9 games: 195
Next week's AVG+1 score: 559

Team won the first two games, but then the opponents won the third game comfortably for an even split of four points each.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/20/13 09:27 PM

I bowled on Scorpion Wed Nite on the Doubles league. we were in a 3-way tie for first and bowled the pro shop team tied with us for first. we win all 8 points. the other team tied with us won all 8 points so, 2-way tie for first and guess who we play next week? a good week next week and we get to move out on the rest of the teams. they have a Kegel UT100? machine. for some reason it doesn't buff the gutters (i found out from lane man), so you get a Scorpion/Shark combo. the back ends were crispy at first and if you slowed the ball down to about 13.5mph. I was in the 13.25-14mpg range and found 3 boards i could hit and get it there. Pocket percentage was about 80% but carry went down as the lanes dried out a bit.

i had trouble keeping it from leaving 7's and 4 pins - one of which i needed to make to win the last game. I barely broke 600 with a 605 but it was high in the league. my 216 was high game of the night. saw a lot of 4 and 500-something sets after the league was finished. i was executing well and hitting my mark with a few exceptions in lapses of concentration.

looking back (which is why i'm not elite level), i should have tried to speed it up - but, my timing was very good and i didnt have a lot of room for errors with the over/under which was less for me than the rest of them with my Quantum hard/flip ball.

my solution to bring it back was either spot a foot or two deeper or adjust hand position to slightly clockwise until i found carry again. get to try it again next week and hopefully it will work.

good luck all,

R/R

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/20/13 10:31 PM

Way to go RayRay. 605 on Scorpion is very good. I am aspiring to be a sport bowler by next summer so enjoying reading about your exploits as on the animal patterns. Same goes for you Joe, Rick, Shorty, and Nothumb. Some really good stuff in here, thank you all for sharing.

For me tonight on the mere house pattern I had 170+203+257=630. Just couldn't get lined up in practice and that hurt me in the first game. Thought I found the pocket about 3 frames in but left a couple of solid 7s and even a solid 10. Missed two single pins as well which didn't help. Finally pulled out my Misfit in the 8th frame and had my first strike and then another one in the 10th which got me on the right track.

Second game I continued to use the Misfit and had a mid-game 4-bagger, but two opens cost me a chance at a much higher score.

3rd game I started with a strike but then had a washout which I converted but had to change balls again. Ended up going back to the Sure Thing and moved in to find more oil. Worked out great for me, had a 5-bagger after that and after leaving (and converting) a 10 pin in the 8th struck in the 9th, 10th, and 11th, then left my only split of the night in the 12th, a 4,6 for the 257.

Still gotta work on being more consistent with my spare shooting but really happy how I bounced back after that tough first game.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/20/13 10:54 PM

Thanks Svengali. I stunk up the joint again on Viper this week. The only saving grace to bowling poorly in a sport shot league, you can look around and see guys who are as good or better, doing worse smile I did break 200 once though and kept everything else 170-180-ish, good for 2 out of 6 possible points (and that with an absent bowler on our team).

I came to realize it was less to do with the shot, than some problems that have crept into my game. I think a lot of people in the sport league have really deliberate approaches and it's been rubbing off on me. Not to say one should rush the line, but I need to get moving. The other thing I figured out at practice today (THS) is that I've been lazy with my balance arm. I got more aggressive with it, and found suddenly I was having a much easier time hitting my mark. I don't know, go figure. After struggling just as much on a THS as I was on Viper, I ended up rolling a 279 with a wrap-10, and a 248 with three flat-tens which I adjusted out (1/2 left) I have some raw video, will edit and post it tomorrow if I get time. Only one more week of sport, Scorpion next week.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/21/13 08:52 AM

I bowled on Scorpion Wed Nite on the Doubles league. we were in a 3-way tie for first and bowled the pro shop team tied with us for first. we win all 8 points. the other team tied with us won all 8 points so, 2-way tie for first and guess who we play next week? a good week next week and we get to move out on the rest of the teams. they have a Kegel UT100? machine. for some reason it doesn't buff the gutters (i found out from lane man), so you get a Scorpion/Shark combo. the back ends were crispy at first and if you slowed the ball down to about 13.5mph. I was in the 13.25-14mpg range and found 3 boards i could hit and get it there. Pocket percentage was about 80% but carry went down as the lanes dried out a bit.

i had trouble keeping it from leaving 7's and 4 pins - one of which i needed to make to win the last game. I barely broke 600 with a 605 but it was high in the league. my 216 was high game of the night. saw a lot of 4 and 500-something sets after the league was finished. i was executing well and hitting my mark with a few exceptions in lapses of concentration.

looking back (which is why i'm not elite level), i should have tried to speed it up - but, my timing was very good and i didnt have a lot of room for errors with the over/under which was less for me than the rest of them with my Quantum hard/flip ball.

my solution to bring it back was either spot a foot or two deeper or adjust hand position to slightly clockwise until i found carry again. get to try it again next week and hopefully it will work.

good luck all,

R/R

Well done, RayRay. The greater the challenge, the greater the satisfaction. Good luck to all next week.

I found a weekly tournament at a different bowling center than my PBAX league, but on the same Brunswick Pro Anvilane (with downlane markers). I gave it a try last Friday night. Small house, but they remembered my name from competing there a few years ago. Rolled 880's for 4 games only to miss qualifying by 5 pins, argh! A regional Pro snuck in and buzzsaw'ed the rest of the field in the finals. Going back tonight a little better prepared for the shot and the level of competition. It's a long drive to Waynesboro, PA, but very pleasant as it winds through the Catoctin mountains, and across the Appalachian trail. Plus, it's hard to beat the $25 entry fee.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/22/13 09:36 AM

Oh well, it was not my day to shine. Rolled 860's for the 4 game qualifier which earned just a smile and an invitation to come back next week. I needed at least one big game, but did not get it. The upside is that I am gradually getting used to including the downlane markers in my targeting. There were a few strikes where I could go check-check-check as the ball rolled exactly where I wanted it down the lane. In the meantime, I have been experimenting with rolling my hard rubber spare ball over the middle arrow for all my spare shots (except double wood) to take the pattern out of play. So far, it is working, and I went 30 clean for the last 3 games.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/24/13 02:00 PM

Haven't posted in 3 weeks but I have been on a tear. Had one sub-par series on June 4th with a 528(147, 197, 184) but have been on absolute fire the last 2 weeks with a 627 (191, 242, 194) and 653 (213, 245, 195). Only bad thing is overall team is struggling and just at .500 (16-16).

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/25/13 07:10 AM

Nice, Scott. Seems you found your groove. Keep up the good work.

I finished up on Scorpion last night. Scores were 173, 178, 189, 196 for 4 games. I was experimenting with lots of surface, 250 grit, too much probably. The first two games, for each double, there were two splits to keep the scores low. Still, they were all winners. Team had a good night, too, winning 14 of 17 points.
Posted by: Doogie

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/26/13 03:09 PM

I am bowling in a PBA experience league for the summer. This will be the 3rd year of bowling in one of these leagues. Started off the league strong for me with a 170 average after night one. Two weeks later I had dropped that to 154.

Started focusing on fundamentals in my approach and try to get good deliverys and I have brough my average back up to 161. We have 5 or six weeks to go 1 shark, 2 badger, 2 wolf. Hoping to continue the solid shot making and cover spares and hopefully I can finish with my average above 165.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/26/13 04:45 PM

So for in my summer league I've shot 585, 587, 679, 584, 589, and 587. There's something to be said about consistency, but I'm consistently coming up just short of where I want to be. Oh well, on to next week.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/26/13 10:03 PM

I had a promising start, but just too many bad shots in the later two games. I missed a couple of 10s, but made three others and all of my other single pins for 80% on the night.

Result: 199-151-176=526
Average (21 games): 182
Average for last 9 games: 192
Next week's AVG+1 score: 561

Liz and Mike were pretty steady, but whether we won two or four depended on the average of the other team's new bowler (whom I have posted about frequently on my blog).

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/26/13 11:38 PM

My one and only night on Scorpion for the summer league was... interesting. I think I went 139, 224, 189, 180.

The lanes faked me out (again), I got lined up nicely in practice but by the third frame of the 1st game that shot was GONE and I lacked the courage to read the changes and move. Finally did so, and had pretty good success for a while rolling my pin-down Mission at 500/2000, fairly straight down 13.... out to 10 maybe?

The last game the lanes again got TIGHTER, I tried to slow my ball speed down to help the ball face up but this kind of throws me off my game- another thing I need to practice.

According to the sheet, 186.8 for 40 games <shrug>. Not what I'd hoped for but there was a lot of room for it to be worse smile I'll be stronger next summer.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/27/13 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: RickSchott
According to the sheet, 186.8 for 40 games <shrug>. Not what I'd hoped for but there was a lot of room for it to be worse smile I'll be stronger next summer.

You did great for your first PBAX league. Your finishing average would put you in the top third in my summer league. And, we still have Badger, Bear, and Wolf to go. Unfortunately, I can't even find a pattern graph to help get ready. Hopefully, you don't have to wait till next summer to get more practice on the patterns. I am using the summer league to help get ready for the winter league when the big bangers return. There was one team last year with PBAX averages 208, 210, and 222.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/27/13 11:50 PM

211+248+164=623 for me tonight. Really happy with the first two games. First game I actually didn't string together a lot of strikes (had 5 total, two pairs of double strikes and the 5th one came in the 11th) but I converted all of my spares. Had been struggling especially with 7 pins and made every single one I left tonight (I think it was 5 total). Second game I was also clean but had a mid-game six pack to get to the 248.

I lost my line though late in the second game after the six pack and couldn't really ever get back to the pocket. Tried moving in, tried making a few ball changes, but nothing really worked. Had a lefty bowling on the pair tonight so I had more transition to manage than usual, and just couldn't figure it out tonight. Did get a mid-game double (which was really lucky, both times the ball barely made it to the pocket but somehow managed to carry), but a few washouts and a missed 6 pin on the final frame gave me my lowest score of the summer.

Still a lot of positives to take away though. Over 600 again and overall much better spare shooting than previous weeks. Get next week off due to the 4th but after that look forward to the rest of the summer. I'll be bowling in my first tourney next month as well.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/28/13 07:39 AM

You did great for your first PBAX league. Your finishing average would put you in the top third in my summer league. And, we still have Badger, Bear, and Wolf to go.

Thanks Joe. "Yikes" on the new patterns... we didn't get a shot at those. Will be interested to hear your thoughts on them. Watching Badger what little bit I have, the shot looks weird. Guys standing way left (righties), but just "rolling" the ball with very little hook. Like they were sneaking into the pocket but how do they carry so well like that????

My regular season league will be in a different (more local) house but I understand the proprietor at the house I bowled in this summer will put out sport shots for guys to practice on at least one night a week. This might cost me some sleep smile

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/28/13 08:12 PM

Wow...I am so far behind updating this.

So, as you will probably be able to see, I am "plateauing" right now; I seemed to be plateauing as well last year. This was my second week, my third week, and my fourth week (last Tuesday), all right there.

I'm not the happiest camper.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/29/13 08:28 AM

I returned to bowl the Friday night tournament for the third time after adjusting the surface on all my equipment. I started with my QZ2 Backdraft sanded 2000 dull. I had never rolled it without polish before, so I was curious what it would do. It was very aggressive in practice and the beginning of the first game. Then, it started to mellow a bit, and I had to keep tightening up my line. That was not what I was hoping for, but typical since it was straight off the bench, without any practice games in between.

The first game, I had to strike out to finish with a 202. That was way off the scoring pace, but the QZ2 surface seemed to stabilize, and I liked the look I had with it. After switching pairs the next three games, I banged out scores of 247, 246, and 279 (7 pin). The last game was big enough to win the high game pot and take over the top qualifying spot.

The stepladder finals proceeded slowly, and I had to wait an hour for the final match. Being Friday night, the bowling center started filling with open bowlers, drinking, and loud music. I think "Light 'Em Up" was playing on the loud speaker when I finally got to bowl. Unfortunately, I did not [light 'em up]. I had lost my momentum, and finished in the 220's, just a few pins short of 1st place. Still, a great night of bowling, and my best finish so far in the summer Friday night tournament series.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/29/13 12:10 PM

congrats on the finish! It could have gone either way for you! I practice sometimes during extreme bowling with a lot of loud music and carrying on going on around me. if someone walks up on my taking a shot, (as long as they don't come over in my lane) I proceed with my shot and make sure I maintain focus. sometimes there would be 2 or three up there carrying on while I am in mid approach. So, it is dark with loud music and a lot of partying going on. I find it is a great way to practice for just the situation you mentioned. of course there is no way to practice for the loss in rhythm by waiting an hour.

some tournaments that i have top qualified for had a practice pair running while you wait. I found that if i just take a shot every 5 minutes or so i dont lose as much as if i were just sitting and waiting. that is the hardest thing to recover from as your thumb size could change and you could lose focus.

they didnt have a practice set up for the top qualifier? i would think that would be part of what you earn as top qualifier. at least 2nd place gets a game in before they bowl you.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/29/13 03:27 PM

they didnt have a practice set up for the top qualifier? i would think that would be part of what you earn as top qualifier.

Thanks, RayRay. They did have a practice pair. I probably should have rolled a few more practice balls than I did the game before the final match. It was just a long day, a long drive, and a long wait. Next time, I might do better with ear plugs and a nap instead. smile

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/30/13 06:28 PM

Da Bear. That's the next oil pattern in my summer PBAX league. I had my first chance to practice on it this weekend. I brought 8 balls with me, but was lucky to find a good reaction pretty quickly with my Motiv 2 Cruel sanded 400 dull, playing 10 at the arrows to 8-9 at the downlane markers.

Execution is still critical on this 40-foot, flat 1:1 ratio, US Open-like pattern, but I was happy that when I rolled a good shot, and hit my targets, it was a strike. Scores were low, but felt well earned with games of 188, 196, and 208.

Tomorrow, my team bowls for real against the bowling center manager's team, and I will be matched up against the top lefty in the league. They were already there practicing when I arrived today. Their other bowler is coming off having high set on the Scorpion pattern last week. Hehe, should be a fun challenge.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/30/13 07:39 PM

We have our first week of Shark this week. Any suggestions? Good luck on the Bear. We'll be 'watching' ya.

R/R

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 06/30/13 08:20 PM

We have our first week of Shark this week. Any suggestions? Good luck on the Bear. We'll be 'watching' ya.R/R

Thanks, RayRay. The picture below should give you a good idea of what to expect with Shark. At 43 feet, your target should be around 11-12 board downlane (re: Joe Slowinski's pattern length - 31 exit point formula). With the out-of-bounds 7 and out, you will want to play straighter up the lane to avoid it, and be prepared to move deeper as the head oil disappears. I would suggest using the ball that gives you the most entry angle because of the deeper line, perhaps with some surface adjustment to consistently make the turn depending on what gives you the best backend reaction.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/01/13 09:01 AM

thanks joe,
I am not far off from my approach looking at the chart. I was thinking starting out around 16-20bd at the arrows and playing into the area at 30' from 7-12 bd depending on what i find. again. i'm not going to rule out the gutter, but, i want to be able to move as the heads dry and inside looks better because that area at 30' may burn better . also, the lanes there are a fairly old urethane with wood approaches that are worn.

I don't know if that makes any difference on the chart I think the lanes are the QuibicaAMF surface, but, not sure. the scoring technology is Quibica so that is what made me think the lanes are the same company.

R/R

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/01/13 11:57 PM

Oh well, the Bear turned out to be a Grizzly with a full set of claws and teeth. My teammates and I managed only one point each against the bowling center manager's team. My best game was a 217. The others were muuuch lower. Besides the challenge of the pattern itself, I was having difficulty getting a clean release. It was a very humid day here and I had to break out the EZ-Slide the very first game just to get my thumb out of the ball. That's usually not a good sign for me, and I missed a bunch of single pin spares. I did much better in practice. At least we will get another chance to wrestle the Bear next week.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/04/13 12:02 AM

Finished shark tonite. I only missed the pocket 3x the entire session. My problem was carry. I would have had 3 - 300 no tap games wink. anyway, i started in practice 25->12 with each ball. The Violet Quantum was the best of the 3 balls. I was hitting dead on the headpin every shot. So i had something i knew i could adjust from.

So, I stood 30 and was hitting light to flush pocket hits. I didn't double until the 10th frame with a 7-10 pocket leave in the 4th frame my only open. Fortunately, I needed the double to win the game by 2 pins with a 9-count fill shot for a 192.
I had to make a move in and was 33->17 mixing the pocket and blowing out a few racks nicely. then came the 10 pins...placed strategically enough to keep the games from being big...;)

2nd game a little better as the shot wore out. I advised my team mate to keep it between the 2nd and 3rd arrows before we started so we could burn up the oil a bit. Still difficult carry but managed a 4-bagger for 227. Won by 3 pins.

3rd game went 9/ and 5 bagger. Still hitting light and flush but all the sudden up ever so slightly high for a solid 9pin leave. Next shot up high for a 3-6-10, converted both then decided the lanes need a 2:1 shift and doubled in the 9th and 10 for a better 245. 2nd ball in the 10th solid 9 pin. with a little luck that would have been a great game.

Won that game by 5 pins. The other team seemed visibly upset by our close victories. My partner was having troubles but was helping my shot out by sticking to his line. He was having release consistency problems so it my night to hold him up.

Last game I was in 35-> 18 and managed 225, but, again 10-pin leaves scattered throughout the game until finally the last fill ball was 10inthePit. If I went over 13.6 mph i was in for a 10pin all night. I tried spotting earlier to get a little more power and was flirting with high hits. That Violet Quantum can take a left turn at the wrong time playing tight pocket hits. I feel like i missed an opportunity to score 100 pins more tonite even though i scored fairly well.

The funny thing about tonite was that some shots carried so well on some hits that seemed no different from others that left 10-pins.

Well, I have another shot at it next week and if it is anything similar to last nite, I sure need to find a way to carry better.

anyway, first Shark under my belt.

Good luck out there!

R/R

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/04/13 06:29 AM

That's some great bowling, RayRay...tough pattern, good scores, winning matches...way to go!

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/04/13 10:29 AM

Unusual night last night not for the scoring but by what happen. Last game a lot of distractions. I already had to chase down my finger grip that came out of my ball. I get ragged for that. Everybody tells me you are suppose to glue them in. Really? Couple of frames later I am up on the right lane. Bowler on the left leaves the 6-10 and the machine knocks it down so call goes in to reset the 6-10. I didn't think anything about it. I go ahead and bowl. I roll the ball that looks to be rolling perfectly in the pocket but the sweep comes down. Bam. They were resetting the wrong lane. Now everybody is looking at me again. I get ragged again. I get my ball back and have to remove the yellow paint from the ball. After all that I struck the last 5.

Good night bowling made it easy to take all the ragging in fun from everyone. 214, 236, 237, 687

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/10/13 07:07 AM

I hope everybody had a nice Independence Day holiday. I took the weekend off to enjoy, so I missed my usual Friday night sweeper and Sunday practice session.

On Monday, I wanted to try something a little different on the Bear pattern in my PBAX league. I was thinking most of the inconsistency bowlers experience on this and other tough patterns comes from their release. It's not so much the direction of the ball, but the variance in when and how much the ball hooks that causes so much grief. So, to take the release out of the equation, I tried using my hard rubber spare ball for strikes as well as spares. I wanted to see if that would increase my pocket percentage, if not my carry percentage. I was pointing the ball, standing 11, targeting 7 at the arrows and 10 at the downlane markers. The ball was still skidding when it hit the pins, but it kept me in the pocket most of the night. Scores were low, 700ish for 4 games, but it was enough to win 3 of 4 points against the other team's anchor bowler. This was essentially my strategy that won several ABT tournaments, to keep shelling down until I was using my spare ball for strikes because the patterns were so whacked. Because, if you are not hitting the pocket, chances are you are not carrying, either. Kudos to the pros for averaging 200+ on these difficult lane conditions. Next week, Chameleon.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/10/13 10:00 PM

Tonigh'ts bowling, frame-by-frame

A problem I've been having with a "flying shoulder" cropped up in the first game, but I was eventually able to get my shoulder under control and bowled one pin over my average.

Result: 163-182-202=547
Average (24 games): 182
Average for last 9 games: 174
Next week's AVG+1 score: 563

We were giving 163 pins per game to our opponents, and they caught enough of a fire that, while we beat them scratch every game, it was just not by enough to overcome the handicap difference. The net result was that we lost all eight.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/10/13 11:23 PM

hey all,

my 2nd Shark didnt go so well. The shot seemed nothing like last week, -- like a short version of the Shark. I know it could have been me. But the shot seemed much shorter than last Shark. I tried my [newly] fitted [old] Cherry Bomb that was given to me by a friend. As it turned out, my thumb pitch in my old ball was 9/16 reverse and 3/8 under. This ball has 1/8 - 1/8 reverse/under. A big change but, I have been tearing up the THSs I've bowled on with the ball so far so, decided to give it a try on Shark.

With OOB outside of 9 board (like gutter or a 3 count OOB). I was able to find a way to the pocket, but, high hits unless i lofted the ball. I missed the pocket 3x the first game trying to figure out what to do. Not fast enough though. Ended up 182 with a double in the 10th to get there feeling like an accomplishment. Second game not much better. Pocket 7-10 on a light mix hit that missed and a few other high hits as i kept small parallel moves giving me light pocket strike then high and 2:1 move - same thing. ball speed stayed around 14-14.5 at deck. Speeding up past 15mph left solid 10's. 187 second game.

Third game again. High hits and then a 3 count trying to go out past 9 board at 'break' point. Spared that with a good pocket shot. Stuck next frame. Ended up at 184.

Last game, i made a 2bd inside move but kept same mark for a slightly different angle and found an easier line and began to hit the pocket better finally, but the move too late for 198. i figured it out with more strikes coming but the beginning of the game started out in the early frames with two 3-6-4-7 splits and i converted one of them but count was killing me already.

as a team we swept all the points so opponents were not doing well at all.

looking back, i should have made bigger moves because i did find some area on the lane - 3 boards maybe around 12-15 board at break point. It was the only shot on the lanes and if i had found it quicker, i would have put up better numbers. spare shooting was ok but could have been better with easier leaves.

Next week will be 1st of two weeks on the USBC Blue pattern.

R/R

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/11/13 10:21 PM

175+166+184=525, worst night of the summer. Actually started out strong with a double, 9/ and another double then completely lost it. Had 3 opens after that with a whiffed 7 pin, followed by a 6,7,8,10 which I actually almost converted by cutting the 6 into the 8 but didn't push it quite enough over to take out the 7. Same kinda deal in the second game with a few opens, but only 1 strike total in that game. 3rd game had just 1 strike going into the 9th but was clean and had a chance to get to 200 possibly but left a 2,4 and chopped out the 2 only. Did manage to double in the 10th however to get the 184. Disappointed especially since my average has dipped below 200 for the first time all summer.

Gotta shake it off though. Making my tournament debut on Sunday and hoping to bounce back. Fortunately it's at another center that uses more oil on the lanes so I hope to be able to use my Sync which I haven't been able to use very much in league.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/12/13 01:43 PM

Has anyone here bowled the Badger pattern yet? It is what is up next week for us. Anyone found any pattern graphs?

It is 52 feet I believe so using the 31 rule exit oil at 21? That doesn't seem like it would make sense. I am thinking that the best attack would be pointing from the outside and hoping to get a little bit of motion into the pocket. I will appreciate any other thoughts on this.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/13/13 05:37 PM

I would just try your baseline shot to see what happens. Then adjust from there. The formula is supposed to be at the board where you want to exit the pattern from but, you need to stand and line up properly for the shot. Throw at the speed your are used to throwing at and if there is no carry either make adjustments or slow the speed down. You may find you have a nice backend to work with even though it may not be huge like a THS.

let us know what you end up doing and how you do.

R/R

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/15/13 11:49 AM

I'm continuing with my up and down season. Typically it has to do with things outside of bowling that completely screw me up - last week it was due to a heavy day of whatever so I was sore and tired and rolled a 525. This week, my wife had taken her brother (who is a PITA) up to Idaho and away from us - very little sleep while she was driving (really touchy car) but complete relief when she arrived. 598. Kinda interesting I guess.

But still need to work on first game - seems to take me a while. We practice and I find my line, then we have a quick league meeting, and it takes me a while to get back in the groove. Not really a fan of the pre-game meeting. I get warmed up and would just like to keep going. . .

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/16/13 06:00 AM

Disappointing first night on Chameleon. 190, 174, 174, 181 for a four-game total of 719. It did not help that my eyeglasses broke last Thursday and I was seeing double at the line. Still, my release was clean and on target. I just had no ball reaction outside. I knew if I could find some friction there, I would have options to bump in and play different angles. Unfortunately, moving deeper just made the ball go straighter. On the other hand, the righties were having a field day and rewrote the league's season high score list.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/16/13 07:28 PM

i forgot what i did on Chameleon but I remember shooting bad the first week and well the next week. i would have been more disappointed if I had shot well the first week and bad the next week like i did on Shark. That was my fault since i got the fitted ball in between weeks and i wanted to use the fitted ball instead of the ball i did well on Shark with.

I have US Open Blue tomorrow for the 1st time for 2 weeks. Then on the last week we vote to bowl on whatever condition is voted in. So far that will either be the US Open shot or the Shark since the league had the highest scores on that shot as a whole so far. I sure hope I can find another Sport Shot League after this one.

Oh by the way, where are you in MD? I bowled in Tournaments in Glen Burnie (bowled with Norm Duke on same pair here), Dundalk, Laurel, Towson and a few others.

RayRay

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/17/13 06:40 AM

Oh by the way, where are you in MD? I bowled in Tournaments in Glen Burnie (bowled with Norm Duke on same pair here), Dundalk, Laurel, Towson and a few others.

I am planning to make Fort Meade my new home bowling center. I like that their PBAX league continues year round on the same night. It's been a welcome challenge so far. For "local" tournaments, I have been all over MD and VA, and sometimes PA and DE. Those you mentioned are pretty far from FL. Do you travel often?

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/17/13 06:55 AM

well i traveled with this lefty almost all the time for awhile before i left the game. If either of us won or did well in a tournament we would cover each other's expenses for that particular trip. worked out pretty well because if it was a lefty shot he was in and vice versa. We did very well in the Hoinke doubles a few times. We bowled in PA a lot as well as NJ and Delaware.

I won a tournament years ago in Odenton and took 2nd in a tournament (4 game format drop low game) in Crofton MD. Ray Shackelford beat me by 80 pins with an 856 for his 3 high games. His first game was 146 because he wasted the game to line up. pretty smart and I use that strategy anytime i can now.

I will probably pick up on mapping out tournaments again as i get my arsenal and fits up to date. I'm hitting local tournaments and did win two of them so far. one singles and one doubles. they were small events but the way i'm looking at it is a win is a win.

What i plan on doing for travel now is when i go somewhere, i will see what events are being held in the general areas i am passing through and hit them hopefully with the outcome of paying for most or all of my trip. I love this approach because i get to meet new bowlers and it is low pressure because i'm on 'vacation' right?

haha.. hopefully we can win a doubles tourney somewhere someday eh??

R/R

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/17/13 07:33 AM

Sounds like a lot of fun. We used to have 4-5 guys that would travel together to all the tournaments. There was one particular tournament when 3 of the 4 of us shot 300 the same game. I would welcome the opportunity to bowl together, even if it was just to roll a few games. Let me know the next time you are headed out this way. The next big singles tournament here is August 16-18, VMSBT 6th BWSSC, at Brunswick Perry Hall lanes.

Coincidentally, my wife and I are flying into FLL this weekend, but will only be there long enough to board a cruise ship for our vacation. So, I won't have any bowling equipment with me. I think there are a few cruise ships with bowling lanes (ex: Norwegian Pearl), but I am sure my wife would throw me, or worse, my equipment overboard. smile

I am doing my pre-bowling tonight, and looking forward to doing better on the Chameleon, even though I still don't have my replacement eyeglasses yet.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/17/13 08:38 AM

Been throwing the ball really well lately, especially in PBAX. I don't post my league scores that often but I feel the last few weeks were worth noting:

Week 6: Carmen Salvino Pattern 40' - 984
Week 7: Earl Anthony Pattern 40' - 859
Week 8: Detroit Open 42' - 875

NOTE: 4 game series each week

So over the last three weeks on sport I have averaged just over 226, not a bad few weeks of shooting. That puts me averaging just over 202 for the season and we switch patterns every week so it feels good to be continuing to get myself lined up quickly and stay in play throughout the night.

The next two weeks we are on US Open (42') and then the Tournament of Champions Pattern (39') so that will be the big test. Hoping the string of good shots continues for a couple more weeks.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/17/13 01:29 PM

hey great stuff! Just go in there and do what you know you should each shot. you'll keep posting the great results. i have one ball with a good fit so far and am tweaking it for a perfect baseline fit. we'll see how it does.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/17/13 10:24 PM

It was another of "those nights," as my shoulder turn may have been worse, causing me to miss as bad as you'll ever see me miss. On the bright side, I did correct it in time to have a clean 192, and I only missed two of 11 single pins (both 10s).

Result: 144-169-192=505
Average (27 games): 180
Average for last 9 games: 175
Next week's AVG+1 score: 547

It's tough to win when not one, but two, opponents shoot 700 at you even with negative handicap, and the only game that was even moderately close was the third.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/17/13 10:44 PM

hey don't feel bad. my week started off a bit shakey too. we SUPPOSEDLY were on US Open tonite, but, i think the lane guys were out back laughing their asses off at us because it seemed like it was a short Cheetah pattern. Honestly, my only double of the nite was two brooklyn strikes. i had a clean 195 game to give you an idea of how this Petersen Classic-like lane conditions were and my 735 4 game was league high by one pin over the Pro shop guy. my last game was 200 even and it felt like a 300. i know the lane guys were f-ing with us big time. no other explanation for every ball coming up high like that. i dont have many balls to switch to but my lesson learned is to bring urethane everywhere i go from now on. i'm going to be tweaking the reactions of my old urethane stuff with weight holes once i get the thumb holes fixed with the proper pitches. well could have dropped my avg one pin tonite. my bad. will not be caught off guard again!

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/18/13 10:42 PM

219+162+224=605 for me tonight. The goal tonight was to right the ship after two sub-par outings in league last week and the tournament on Sunday. Our opponents all prebowled as did one of my teammates so it was just my other teammate and I on the pair tonight. Ultimately I think the quicker pace helped me more than it hurt me. Did struggle to find the pocket however in the first half of game 1. Lanes were really hooking and I came in high each of the first 5 frames. Left a 2 pin in frame 1 and in the following 4 frames left either the 4,7 or 6,10. Fortunately I kept it clean and was able to find my line for a 4-bagger and ended with a clean frame in the 10th for the 219.

Second game I struggled and couldn't really find the pocket. Did manage a mid game double but 3 open frames hurt me. Had a 7,8, double wood, and a bucket that I failed to convert. Should have been able to pick up one of those at least.

3rd game I started with a double, 9/, and another double and kept it clean the rest of the way for the 224. Would be nice to have a series where all 3 games are over 200, haven't had that yet but overall I'm pleased with a 600 series tonight, especially since I had to make a few different adjustments to stay in the pocket and I had been struggling when I've been forced to play outside my comfort zone.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/20/13 06:29 AM

My scores for the second week on Chameleon were downright embarrassing. I didn't even break 700 for 4 games, making it my worst series of the PBAX season. It did not help that I was without my eyeglasses, that one lane hooked 4 boards more than the other (typical end pair), the fan was not working on a 90+ degree day, and I was the only one pre-bowling. But, the real problem was inconsistency in my release.

I have come to realize that my attempt at developing a more dynamic release using the flexible Storm Gadget wrist brace over the past couple years, has provided me with a few extra revs and a few moments of glory, but overall my average is down. My release inconsistency is much more evident on the PBAX patterns. The proof for me is switching to my spare ball for strikes and being able to consistently hit the same mark on the lanes and target at the pins (just skids, no carry). That suggests the ball path is fine, it is what I am doing with my wrist, hand, and fingers that is not the same each shot.

One solution would be to practice an hour or more a day to improve the consistency of my release. Maybe someday I will have time for that, but not with my current work schedule. So, instead I plan to start using a rigid wrist brace again, not so much to keep my wrist from opening, but more to keep me from cupping the ball. I still have a Pro Release, but it always had some play in it. So, I am thinking of experimenting with a carpal tunnel wrist brace since they are very good at locking the wrist in an open position.

I am encouraged watching Norm Duke win the PBA Summer King of Swing tournament rolling up the back of the ball on the 52-foot Badger oil pattern. When asked by Randy Pederson how he was able to play so much further right than the other players he said, "Well obviously, I was using a lot less rev rate. So many of the guys are power players. Although I have a little bit of power, the strength in my game is that I can keep it online, and keep the revolutions consistent." That's the key.

When I return from vacation, we will have our first week on Badger. By then, I will have new eyeglasses and a new wrist brace. I am hoping to be able to say along with Duke, straighter is greater.
Posted by: Vic44

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/20/13 10:43 PM

Well heck. Went to buy my ball at the Proshop... they were out of the Storm Sync, which is the ball I think I am going with. So ordered for next week.

But got in my first 3 games of practice with my old balls (save the puns) smile since the fall league ended almost three months ago. Without a doubt, my longest spell without ANY bowling in maybe twenty years.

It went allright. 205/222/221 for a 648 series practicing league style..(two lanes) I was staying down, my pace for the most part was relaxed... even made four out of five 7 pins, which is generally the shakiest part of my game when I haven't played much. Seems like some of the bad habits I was fighting in April were not nearly as prevalent today.

CHEERS TO THE FORUM! smile
Vic

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/23/13 11:11 PM

Whew, I tried out a new, more advanced targeting system and it got me better results this time. I finally bowled above my average for the first time in five weeks; I think I was suffering from some kind of slump. I made an adjustment towards the end of the first game or during the second game and I managed to make my spares better. I only struck twice during the entire night but that doesn't matter as I was able to get my overall spare percentage up to almost 40% during the series; my makeable spare percentage is a little over 40% from those three games alone.

This was what tonight brought me as it unfolded. I wish I had recorded my scores on Intermediate mode the last few weeks. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take photographs of the scoreboards, so I was unable to give a more complete picture of my statistics. Last week I converted a 5-10 split for the first time in any sanctioned or unsanctioned league, the second time in my life and it saved me from a sub-90 game. Unfortunately, last week was also my worst series of the season...if you want to see my less impressive weeks, you can refer to this link for more information.

But today was my [first step to] recovery from this terrible slump. After what I think were several weeks of some frustration (due to me not knowing what I was doing and being kind of stubborn), possible embarrassment (as it looked as if I didn't know what I was doing), and making my parents wonder why I was bowling as poorly as I did, I think it's safe to say I'm back on track. Tonight put into a new perspective everything that had been going on most of the summer and made me realize: slumps happen. There will be periods of several weeks where I'll be on fire and periods of several weeks where I'm unable to fill more than two to three frames per game to save my life. I feel like my confidence in my bowling skills has finally been [at least partially] restored.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/24/13 10:14 PM

I maybe have a bit of a stubborn streak and, while I'm good at moving when I'm supposed to, I tend to be more stubborn with my ball selection. Tonight, I likely could have avoided a 112 first game, my worst league game in a long time, by balling up to my Fast sooner, though I likely should have actually started with it tonight, as the other two games were more like me.

Result: 112-203-169=484
Average (30 games): 178
Average for last 9 games: 170
Next week's AVG+1 score: 540

Team lost all eight yet again, to a low average team this time. The last game was on me, because I could have won the game if I had the second strike in the 10th, but I let my arm swing get away and left another washout (I think I had a couple of those early on).

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/25/13 09:14 PM

i had an down up down night but great practice spare shooting. started out with a 189 then 235 and then 169 on the US Open shot. again in this house any of the patterns used have a 5 and out no throw zone. it IS oiled all the way down the gutter and has been the entire time in this sport league.

this makes the patterns even more challenging. you cannot play outside of 9 board (let's call it 10) because you have the ridge of oil sitting there and the slightest mistake you pay for in the 3-6 pocket or worse.

the wrong ball choice (i only have 3 and a spare ball that maybe i should have used all night) still working on equipment... anyway. i switched balls 2nd game and found a sliver of a shot shooting 15->12 (that is slide foot -> ball at arrows). btw the lefties have not had a shot there in 3 weeks. anyway, i started stuffing the pocket because the execution was perfect for the entire game and it was all i could do to hold that shot.... until the last game when it went away.

I could not get the ball to delay and did a couple moves that proved unsuccessful. so I tried more speed and the ball just was too aggressive for the lanes at that point. i did not have a weaker ball to throw down that shot and keep it.

i felt like i figured the lanes out even though the last game was not indicative of this. the more i moved left the drier the heads were and the break point still remained constant. i was a spare shooter the whole game until the last ball when i just really zinged one to see if i could do it and it held.

we did win 6 of 8 points and the league voted in Viper for the last week of league. I had high set of the league (2nd high now) on viper. someone shot higher on Shark. in fact a lot of guys did best on shark in that league. Not sure why they voted in Viper.

Well, the 6 points we won put us exactly 8 points into first place (maintained it). so, last week position round for the big money all we need is to win one game and the league.

btw. my partner and i won the doubles sweeper last weekend. i did not make it to the other tournaments. however, that choice to bowl there proved to be a good one.

good luck to all.

rayray

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/25/13 10:43 PM

215+190+202=607 for me tonight. Overall pretty happy with my effort, stayed somewhat consistent for all 3 games. First game was similar to last week, couldn't strike until the 6th frame but did manage to get a turkey and cover all my spares. Second game I started leaving splits and had a few opens, recovered with a double and then a turkey later on, but chopped out the 2 on a 2,4 leave in the 10th to cost myself a 200 game. Third game I struggled on the left lane but managed to strike every frame on the right lane. Did manage to get 1 somewhat lucky left lane strike so did have a turkey which made up for a couple of opens and allowed me to get the 202 to finish. Needed 4 more pins to get my average back to 200. I plan on getting there next week though.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/27/13 10:53 AM

165-202-212-579 Wednesday night- first sub-600 series on a THS since October, which is about 70 or so in a row, and the first one in this center in over a calendar year. End pair, got some open play before we shot on it, and after just a couple of frames, a really hard wet-dry started to form, and never opened back up. Very unusual for that to happen here.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/28/13 12:09 PM

btw the lefties have not had a shot there in 3 weeks.

I hate when that happens, for lefties or righties. Often it is unintended, and simply the result of more or less play on one side or the other, or a machine malfunction, or a change in the lane maintenance routine, etc. In my PBAX league, it was most evident on the Chameleon pattern. The righties took over the season high score list. All I could do as a lefty was use the lefty general manager's scores as a benchmark. He finished last winter's PBAX league with an admirable 204 average. Besides being general manager, he also runs the pro shop, and is an experienced bowler, one of the first to roll a 300 game on sport conditions in this area. I often see him practicing on the weekend. Still, this summer his average is currently at 166, nearly a 40-pin drop! I am only about 10 pins ahead of him at 179. I have not been able to use Blueprint for simulation purposes since the first night on Viper because I am not getting anywhere near the anticipated amount of hook. Hmm...besides my own inconsistencies, it makes me think something is off with the lanes, at least on the left side.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/28/13 01:21 PM

when that happens, i find an easy house with an easy house shot to make sure i get my timing and feel back. there are advantages to practicing on THS. Walter Ray practices in a center near me on a THS and I think this is the reason why. you can reset your game in a manner of speaking by making sure your execution is what it is supposed to be. then when you are on a different or what could be confusing pattern, you are more likely to find a way to score because you are not fighting consistency issues along with trying to read lane patterns.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/29/13 10:42 AM

So here is an update after two weeks of bowling on the Badger pattern for our PBA experiecne league. First week I started out playing 12>9 and pointing it in at the pocket. Didn't have too much sucsess with two 130ish games. My opponent was having good luck playing the center part of the lanes so I moved there for the last two games and had two 160ish games for a 599 4 game set.

This last week I took a 500 grit aberlon pad to my Taboo B/S before the night. In warmups I found a really good look with my 12>9 that I started out with the week before. Shot 209-211 for the first two. After that the heads started to burn up and I couldn't find a good adjustment to string any strikes and started leaving some more difficult spares and missing some easy ones. Last two games ended up 171-138 I think for a 730 4 game set. This was enough for my average category to win a free ball from the pro shop.

Now on to next week when we switch to the Wolf pattern. Losing 20ft of oil one week to the next is going to be interesting. I think I may need to find some polish for my equipment.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/30/13 06:00 AM

Last night was my first week on Badger. It was my first time bowling in a couple weeks after returning from vacation. I missed the chance to practice on the pattern over the weekend. I was anxious to try the carpal tunnel wrist brace to see if that helped with accuracy and consistency on the PBAX patterns.

The 52-foot oil pattern played pretty much as expected. I was standing 16, pointing the ball over 10.5 board at the arrows and 13 at the downlane markers. Frankly, it did not matter which ball I used. I had about 2 boards hook with each. There was just no traction through the pin deck. A lot of good shots bounced off the pocket leaving weak 7-pins, buckets, or worse.

It took a little getting used to, but I was happy with the wrist support as I could totally relax my grip and wrist and just focus on the direction of my arm swing and hitting my mark. My first two games were in the 180's. I was hitting the pocket consistently, just not carrying. My spare ball skid past a couple easy spares, too. It appeared to be backing up instead of going straight, so I had to adjust all my targets 2 boards tighter. The third game, I was curious and started aiming for the Brooklyn side since the ball was deflecting so much. Hah, it seems that Brooklyns only carry when you are not trying to roll them, and I chalked up a game in the 170's. The fourth game I got serious again. By this point, I was feeling like I could split a board, so I started aiming high pocket, and carried enough strikes for a game in the 210's. I did not have any big scores for the night, finishing in the 750's for 4 games, but was happy to win 3 of 4 points against the other team's anchor bowler.

Btw, I asked the general manager what was up with the lanes on the left side, comparing his and other lefties averages from the past winter league with the current summer league. He said not only are the Badger, Bear, and Wolf new patterns, but the other patterns have been updated to be flatter with less hold in the middle. Next winter league, he expects bowler's averages to drop 10-20 pins.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/30/13 07:51 AM

I haven't had the "pleasure" of bowling on a 52 foot pattern but from what I've seen that's pretty good. Watching the telecasts, I was baffled how the guys were getting very good pin carry from a deep inside line, with almost no visible hook seeingstars

I'd love a shot at it, preferably a practice session so the scores wouldn't go in the books rotfl

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/30/13 08:12 AM

Quote:
the other patterns have been updated to be flatter with less hold in the middle. Next winter league,

Are they trying to make it more challenging or just saving money on units of oil?

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/30/13 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: VFF57
Quote:
the other patterns have been updated to be flatter with less hold in the middle. Next winter league,

Are they trying to make it more challenging or just saving money on units of oil?

I think the bowling center is just trying to keep up with the current versions of the PBA patterns. It does seem the PBA is trying to make the patterns more challenging, including introducing the new extremely short Wolf, long Badger, and flat Bear patterns. However, there is not much more than a description of each pattern on PBA's website. I keep hoping to see updated pattern graphs, but have not found any at http://www.pba.com/OilPatterns/. The following USBC page has some additional links and graphs, but nothing that defines specific units of oil. http://bowl.com/Sport_Bowling/Sport_Bowling_Home/PBA_Experience/

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/30/13 11:50 PM

Although I am not bowling this Summer, I am coaching the HS level PBA League. Tonight, one of the better bowlers who averages 190 on a Sport shot, shot a 300 on the Cheetah.

It was quite exciting to see one of the kids you try to help be successful.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/31/13 03:10 PM

Quote:

I think the bowling center is just trying to keep up with the current versions of the PBA patterns. It does seem the PBA is trying to make the patterns more challenging, including introducing the new extremely short Wolf, long Badger, and flat Bear patterns. However, there is not much more than a description of each pattern on PBA's website. I keep hoping to see updated pattern graphs, but have not found any at http://www.pba.com/OilPatterns/. The following USBC page has some additional links and graphs, but nothing that defines specific units of oil. http://bowl.com/Sport_Bowling/Sport_Bowling_Home/PBA_Experience/

Sounds good. Should keep you on your toes for the 2014 USBC Masters if you're still going.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/31/13 03:20 PM

Although I am not bowling this Summer, I am coaching the HS level PBA League. Tonight, one of the better bowlers who averages 190 on a Sport shot, shot a 300 on the Cheetah.

That's a great accomplishment.

I didn't bowl either. I'm now starting to practice to get in shape for September.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/31/13 04:40 PM

Congrats, Dennis. Must be a great feeling.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/31/13 04:51 PM

Sounds good. Should keep you on your toes for the 2014 USBC Masters if you're still going.

I am still hoping to bowl the 2014 USBC Masters, but only on the following two conditions:

1. My PBAX average is over 200.
2. My weight is under 200.

So, I have some work to do. After returning from a 7-day all-inclusive cruise vacation, my average is closer than my weight. smile

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 07/31/13 10:31 PM

I think I needed this night as much for my ego as anything else after my 112 game last week. I did use what I learned about the lanes that night and stayed with my Fast throughout, with my second game (my second 250 game of the summer) being the highlight game of the night.

Result: 173-250-207=630
Average (33 games): 181
Average for last 9 games: 179
Next week's AVG+1 score: 555

Liz was the real star of the night for us, as she was threatening a 30-clean night until the 29th frame, when she left a 4-7-10 split (and came fairly close to converting it); team took all eight.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/01/13 12:53 AM

hey great stuff! any info on his ball / eqpt or where he was playing the shot? also how did he do the other games?

always curious when someone is successful.

r/r

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/01/13 10:58 PM

I think I needed this night as much for my ego as anything else after my 112 game last week. I did use what I learned about the lanes that night and stayed with my Fast throughout, with my second game (my second 250 game of the summer) being the highlight game of the night.

Result: 173-250-207=630
Average (33 games): 181
Average for last 9 games: 179
Next week's AVG+1 score: 555

Liz was the real star of the night for us, as she was threatening a 30-clean night until the 29th frame, when she left a 4-7-10 split (and came fairly close to converting it); team took all eight.

Nice set Richie. That's what I like to see.

Had a pretty good night myself. 224+239+209=672. Accomplished my goal of having all three games above 200 and had my highest series while doing it. Was in the zone pretty much all night. Did have to make a few adjustments, but the moves I made worked out for the most part. Was clean 29 out of 30 frames as well, only open was early in the first game when I left a 4,10 split and just went for 1 pin. Didn't have a whole lot of spares to shoot at tonight, but did manage to pick up a washout (1,3,7,9) late in the 3rd game.

Bowling in another tourney on Sunday. Had a not so great outing in my first one 3 weeks ago which was preceded by my worst league set of the summer. Since I had my best outing of the summer tonight, I'm hoping that translates to a much better tourney showing this time.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/01/13 11:09 PM

hey great stuff! any info on his ball / eqpt or where he was playing the shot? also how did he do the other games?

always curious when someone is successful.

r/r

Assume you were talking with me. The bowler had games of 300-187-218 for a 705 series. He started with a blue Vibe, but for some reason, switched to a Storm HyRoad in game 2. Then, he went back to the Vibe.

But, a 300/700 on a sport shot by a 16 y/o is pretty good.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/02/13 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By: svengali
Had a pretty good night myself. 224+239+209=672. Accomplished my goal of having all three games above 200 and had my highest series while doing it. Was in the zone pretty much all night. Did have to make a few adjustments, but the moves I made worked out for the most part. Was clean 29 out of 30 frames as well, only open was early in the first game when I left a 4,10 split and just went for 1 pin. Didn't have a whole lot of spares to shoot at tonight, but did manage to pick up a washout (1,3,7,9) late in the 3rd game.

Bowling in another tourney on Sunday. Had a not so great outing in my first one 3 weeks ago which was preceded by my worst league set of the summer. Since I had my best outing of the summer tonight, I'm hoping that translates to a much better tourney showing this time.

Excellent...I think the fewest open frames I've ever had in a night was two.

Good luck up in Lowell Sunday, svengali. laugh

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/02/13 04:54 PM

Excellent...I think the fewest open frames I've ever had in a night was two.
Good luck up in Lowell Sunday, svengali. laugh

Thanks Richie. I had been struggling a bit on the Brunswick lanes but went up to BZ today and practiced and felt good about what I worked on there. Looking forward to Sunday.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/07/13 10:21 PM

This night was so mediocre for me I didn't even bother leaving a comment on BowlSK about it. I was never really sure I had a good look at the pocket all night, with seven splits (not counting the one filling the last frame) wrecking it.

Result: 147-176-160=483
Average (36 games): 180
Average for last 9 games: 177

All three games were fairly close, but we were tied after two games and we just couldn't close, so we only ended up getting the second game.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/08/13 04:09 AM

Our second night on the 52-foot Badger pattern was unkind. Three of my four games were in the 170's. If there was any good news, two of those games were winners against the #2 lefty in the league. My teammates struggled too, and we won only 3 of 17 points for the night.

The challenge for me was having a high rev lefty burning up the lane inside my line. I could not move in deeper because my lower rev ball would not make the turn, and I could not make a big move outside because on the 52-foot Badger pattern moving away from the pocket was washout-city. So, I was stuck crossing lines with him, resulting in more splits than any other night. I did make the 6-7-10 twice or my scores would have been lower. For the first time in a while, I thought about rolling the ball two-handed.

Next week, we bowl on the opposite extreme, the 32-foot Wolf pattern. I will be happy to see my ball hook again. As tight as all of the patterns have played so far in this PBAX league on Brunswick Pro Anvilane, I will probably be able to use my reactive Ascent Pearl. But, I will have my urethane Natural Pearl and hard rubber High Skore Pro on standby in case it is too difficult to control the breakpoint.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/08/13 09:10 AM

I am still hoping to bowl the 2014 USBC Masters, but only on the following two conditions:

1. My PBAX average is over 200.
2. My weight is under 200.

So, I have some work to do. After returning from a 7-day all-inclusive cruise vacation, my average is closer than my weight. smile

I can only wish my average was my weight. And, it seems the gap between is widening, like my pants.

Got a laugh at you comment.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/08/13 03:24 PM

hey if any group of guys are going and you dont have team doubles and singles teams set, i'd love to go along. i havent been out there since about 1997. i love that tournament because out of nowhere you can just kill the place. you never know what will happen out there.

let me know.

RayRay

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/08/13 10:42 PM

177+215+237=629 for me tonight. First game I actually started out with 5 strikes in the first 6 frames, but left an impossible split in the 2nd and did the same in the 7th, 8th, and 10th. The 9th frame was a strike so actually had zero spares the first game. Don't think I've ever done that.

The next two games were much better after I made a ball change going to my pin up Sync. There was a righty on our opponent's team throwing a backup ball from the left side of the lane wreaking havoc with my oil line which caused me trouble at the end of the first game, but the Sync let me stay in the pocket for the rest of the night and finished clean with several strikes and no splits the remaining two games.

Needed this boost tonight after not really having a good tournament outing on Sunday (546 for 3 games).

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/09/13 07:43 AM

Well, I am pleased to report that I bowled yesterday, for the first time after my knee surgery, and the first time since April 21. Happily, I bowled without pain, and only took 1-step. Don't want to force anything.

If I keep my knee bent, it's OK. I get a twinge when I straighten my knee and walk on it. Got some minor swelling that an immediate bag of ice took care of. That's the ligament repair getting used to stretching. No trouble with the meniscus repairs. Finish week 3 of physical therapy today. This was a big test. Wore an elastic wrap with pressure on the inside ligament and a hinged brace over it. Have hard time keeping balance on the operated knee.

Getting ready for the Fall.

Oh, I rolled at about 13 mph, and kept a forward roll for control on used lanes from last night's league. My XDamage tried to help as much as it could carrying many light hits. Rolled 215-227-189.

Feels good to be back.
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/09/13 08:02 AM

Dennis: Don't rush going back to bowling as much as you want to. When I have my ACL surgery a few years back, I waited about 8 weeks before I tested it.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/09/13 08:15 AM

Well, I am pleased to report that I bowled yesterday, for the first time after my knee surgery, and the first time since April 21. Happily, I bowled without pain, and only took 1-step...Rolled 215-227-189.

Welcome back to bowling, Dennis. If there is ever a 1-step tournament, my money is on you.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/09/13 08:23 AM

Thanks GP. Yeah, I checked with the Ortho Dr the day before. He did remove a vial of fluid from behind the kneecap, then injected cortisone. Told me to start slowly and always wear the hinged knee brace when active.

But, you know me, I push the envelope. So, I'll be careful.

The Therapy I get is occupational, and focuses on a bowling slide, knee strength and bend. The balance part has been hard, for some reason. Just don't have confidence in the left leg.

I'll probably limit myself to bowling a few times a week, and watch it carefully. No need to stress it again. I feel like I have lost 2 years.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/09/13 08:39 AM

Thanks Joe. As you may recall, I bowled the entire Summer last year, and most of the season with only 1-step. I lengthened the approach in about March, and tore the knee up again in April. Had to wait til the Heart Dr released me for surgery and that was 7/11. Maybe the date was a good omen.

there happen to be 5 bowlers who routinely meet at the lanes, and we all take 1-step for various injury related reasons. Everything from a 350# fellow who is having trouble after knee replacement surgery, to me, to a bowler who had his heel removed and rebuilt with titanium due to a work injury. We have talked about a 1-step tourney. Bet we could find others to join.

We commisurate together and helped each other. We all averaged between 185 and 195 for the season last year, and all are itching to get back to normal. We all met through the physical therapist who has been really helpful.

This Tues, when I instruct High Schoolers in the HS PBA league, I plan to pace with them. I think a visual of ball control and taming the Chameleon will help them.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/11/13 03:05 PM

Bowled again this morning. And, I felt so good, that I stretched what I could do to 5 games. But still, only taking 1-step.

Game 1: 204 with 2 split opens. A 4-bagger helped
Game 2: 172, lost the strike ball, 1 open
Game 3: 196 with an open 8th and 9th
Game 4: 210, still a split open
Game 5, 219 with 2 opens, a 4-bagger and turkey

Total 1001, for just over 200 average. 9 opens in 5 games allows room for improvement. It isn't too hard bowling this way. But, when I start to walk, watch the timing go haywire.

Knee felt good. But, now it's almost 3 hours later, and it's starting to swell.
So, time for ICE and rest. Time for a Sunday afternoon siesta.
Posted by: Tim Gerard

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/12/13 11:03 AM

Hi Dennis,
Went and practiced yesterday (Sunday)as well. I really like going Sunday mornings, lanes are not real crowded...thing are a little quite..a few teammates show up...its a lot of fun.

Had a very similar morning as you, 1009 total for five games

Gm 1 205
Gm 2 170..got a little careless
Gm 3 251..everything clicking!
Gm 4 199
Gm 5 184

Happy for the most part with my release, still the occasional tug.Old habits are hard to break, but NO wrist brace ...yay!
Learning to keep the cadence of my footwork a little slower, not charging the line and falling off the shot.
When I do that....I have great results.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/13/13 06:18 AM

Simple math suggests rolling the ball straight up 3 board requires 14 boards hook to reach the pocket at 17 board. That's a pretty tight shot. A more typical house shot would require swinging the ball from 15 at the foul line to 10 at the arrows which would be about 22 boards hook out and back to the pocket.

I never would have thought I would only get 9 boards hook from my most aggressive equipment on the 32-foot Wolf pattern. The urethane ball and lev/diff drilled rubber ball I packed never saw the light of day. In practice, I was expecting to see my ball hook sharply off the end of this pattern, but instead it skid like it had been soaking in a bucket of WD-40. My first few shots with an Ascent Pearl at 4000 grit polished skid straight up 3 and never hooked back to the pocket.

It took 3-1/2 games to get over my disbelief. I finally got lined up standing 35, rolling the ball over 20, a line I might play on a longer, heavier pattern, and managed a couple strikes for my best game of the night, 180. Argh!

The general manager, also a lefty, was bowling a few lanes over. He was struggling to hook the ball, too. When I asked him what was going on, he mumbled something about the pattern being heavy up front. I am not buying it. I don't think the lanes were stripped, or there would have been SOME ball reaction. C'mon, 28 feet of dry lane and only 9 boards hook with a Raptor P7 sanded 1000 dull? Really?

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/13/13 07:00 AM

I had the same problem in my sport shot league. OOB was somewhere from 7bd out. if you hit straight down 7 it would come back but 6bd would skid into the 6 pin or worse! Every Sport shot pattern i bowled on had this OOB. When I asked the lane guy they did say the older machine (Kegel I Might Add) could not buff the outside of the lane. so in my mind the first thing i think is "Why not fix it?".

On your calc standing 20 throwing 15->10 i dont see how you get 22bds. i only get 12 (15->10 = 5)+ (10-17=7) = 12 total even if i add 5 standing on 20 it would only be 17. how do you calculate it so I know how to do it?

Also, Wolf pattern - is that supposed to be a flat pattern? I will look it up but to me Wolf (never bowled on it) should be like a head shot x 2+2 am i correct? as long as the lanes are stripped of course.

rr

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/13/13 07:26 AM

I had the same problem in my sport shot league. OOB was somewhere from 7bd out. if you hit straight down 7 it would come back but 6bd would skid into the 6 pin or worse! Every Sport shot pattern i bowled on had this OOB. When I asked the lane guy they did say the older machine (Kegel I Might Add) could not buff the outside of the lane. so in my mind the first thing i think is "Why not fix it?".

On your calc standing 20 throwing 15->10 i dont see how you get 22bds. i only get 12 (15->10 = 5)+ (10-17=7) = 12 total even if i add 5 standing on 20 it would only be 17. how do you calculate it so I know how to do it?

Also, Wolf pattern - is that supposed to be a flat pattern? I will look it up but to me Wolf (never bowled on it) should be like a head shot x 2+2 am i correct? as long as the lanes are stripped of course.

rr

The formula for calculating total hook (from Bill Taylor's book Target Lines) is ((Foul Line Board - Arrows Board) * 4) + (17 - Foul Line Board). From the Foul Line Board to the Arrows Board is only 15 feet (approximately). You have to account for the lane being 60 feet long, so you have to multiply by 4.

The Wolf pattern is one of the new PBA patterns. Flat or not, it is only 32-feet long, so I would expect it to play like it has 28-feet of backend. Something has been off with this bowling center since the second week of PBAX league. It has never been clearer to me (if not the manager) there is something wrong with the part of the machine that strips the backends.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/13/13 10:07 PM

It seems to be the case in both houses we speak of unless there is something i'm missing on how the Animal patterns are applied.

rr

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/14/13 12:05 AM

Whew. Way better of a night than I had in a long time. Take a look at this. Could have done a better job with my spares but overall, I needed this confidence boost; looks like the practice session from last Saturday served me well and got me back on track. I literally have not shot above 400 since March so this is quite the confidence booster for sure. Since it's the last score-keeping week of the summer, it looks like next week is just a fun week and I'm looking forward to the start of my youth league in October. I'm going to have to continue to practice so that I go in prepared.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/14/13 11:55 AM

I imagine there's probably a lot of memory (remnants of the house shot) on the lanes where they put the PBA pattern. You're right about them not getting stripped very well. The opposite is usually true in a lot of centers after putting a sport shot down- the outsides stay wet for a few days until they can get what's of the pattern off the lanes.
That's a big part of why the PBA machine puts down a pattern that plays nothing like a lot of the patterns you see in your PBAX leagues.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/14/13 12:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Fin09
I imagine there's probably a lot of memory (remnants of the house shot) on the lanes where they put the PBA pattern. You're right about them not getting stripped very well. The opposite is usually true in a lot of centers after putting a sport shot down- the outsides stay wet for a few days until they can get what's of the pattern off the lanes.
That's a big part of why the PBA machine puts down a pattern that plays nothing like a lot of the patterns you see in your PBAX leagues.

Yes. It's what has me a little crazy right now thinking about taking a hacksaw blade to a ball to generate more friction. I plan to talk to the general manager once more, and show him some detailed printouts from Blueprint on the comparable 33-foot, 24.8 mL, WTBA Sydney pattern. Depending on his reaction, I may have second thoughts about returning in the fall. The reason for choosing this particular bowling center was the belief they were more proficient than other local houses in applying the PBA patterns. I don't mind a tough shot, but it's not a PBA Experience league if they don't play like the PBA patterns.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/14/13 10:42 PM

I seem to have trouble in the first game, and tonight was no exception with my 121, but sometimes the nights you save something in are better than the nights you actually do well all night, and I had nice games in the other two to save an over-average night. My last game was one my brother calls a "real" clean game (meaning I left nothing on the deck in any frame, even filling the 10th).

Result: 121-203-238=562
Final average (39 games): 180
Average for last 9 games: 186

My team paid for my bad first game, as we needed 6 points out of the match to guarantee getting out of last place, and my team split 4-4. The 4-4 split would have been enough if the match ahead of us was a sweep by one of the teams, but that didn't happen, either. The league championship was won by a team that had three former teammates of mine. laugh

I checked my overall stats, and my rate of making single pin spares was somewhere around 70% this summer, which is an improvement over last winter. I'm feeling better about where my game is overall, so I'm hopeful for the coming fall/winter season.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/15/13 10:35 PM

231+215+204=650 for me tonight. Actually started out with an open (left a pocket 7-9) but came back with a 6-pack right after that. Started with 9/ and then a 4-bagger in the second game but then left a 10 pin and missed the spare. I was lined up correctly, just threw the wrong ball on the spare attempt. Two frames later had the same leave and made sure that I converted it, almost breaking the pin in the process.

The third game I struggled. I was using my Sure Thing basically the whole night and decided to switch a couple of frames into the 3rd game. I was rolling the ball great all night but it started to cut in and I made the move to the Sync instead of making a line change. Finally went back to the Sure Thing in the 9th frame, after I opened in the 8th and had 144 heading into the final two frames. I was able to finish with a 4-bagger to stay above 200.

Overall really happy overall with how I bowled tonight, but gotta learn how to make better adjustments late.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/16/13 10:34 PM

We wrapped up our summer league this week with two weeks to go. THS, we have an 18 point lead (8 points/night) with two weeks left. I've missed more spares this summer than I'm comfortable with, 7 pins especially, but I can attribute that to getting the thumb plugged and re drilled on my spare ball. It still doesn't feel quite the same as before. Those missed 7 pins have cost me probably a pin or 2 on my average. My fingers have been bothering me most of the summer, so I untucked the pinky and the pain has gone away. That costs me a little off my rev rate, but I just add a little surface to compensate for that.
Posted by: wklstoy

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/18/13 01:19 PM

My wife and I filled in for the last 10 weeks or so in a spring / summer league this year. For some reason, my average always seems to be about 5 pins higher during the summer. Well, our team was bowling in the losers bracket tournament this past weekend, and we actually did OK - only because my wife was on fire! We're talking a 120 average bowler rolling a 450 series! Even had a 168 one game. I actually bowled OK, 655 - only open was a 4-6 split in my second game. Just couldn't string any strikes together until game three (first game was a clean 194). Think we finished 8th out of about 50 teams, so not bad.

Looking forward to fall and men's league!

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/18/13 08:20 PM

The Wolf pattern is one of the new PBA patterns. Flat or not, it is only 32-feet long, so I would expect it to play like it has 28-feet of backend. Something has been off with this bowling center since the second week of PBAX league. It has never been clearer to me (if not the manager) there is something wrong with the part of the machine that strips the backends.

So you're saying you have a lane that is not stripped adequately, has memory from a 40'+ THS on it, perhaps with some carrydown, and a 32 foot pattern on top of that which is indubitably super heavy for those 32 feet, and this condition is difficult in some way? nut

I just signed up for a full season sport shot league. Scheduled to start up on 9/11 (if there is adequate participation, let's hope...) I must be a glutton for punishment.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/18/13 09:39 PM

Rick, I had a nice talk with the general manager, and he revealed a couple possible issues. The bowling center uses one lane machine to apply the house shot, and a different lane machine to apply the PBAX shot. Each machine uses a different lane conditioner. Over the summer, they have been experimenting with Kegel Fire/Ice conditioner, not on the PBAX shot as I previously thought, but on the house shot. Unfortunately, the PBAX machine does not have the matching solvent for the other conditioner, and vice-versa. So, neither machine is optimally equipped to remove the other machine's pattern. Therefore, on any given night, expect remnants of last week's PBAX pattern, the mid-week house shot, and today's new pattern. It all became painfully obvious to me last week when the 32-foot Wolf was still playing nearly as tight as the week before's 52-foot Badger pattern. Badge-A-Wolf anybody? I am pretty sure the manager wants to fix it, especially with the much larger group of winter PBAX bowlers returning in a couple weeks, along with some top local bowlers who know better how the patterns should play. Me? I'm all in.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/19/13 07:58 AM

Call it "Honey Badger", 'cause Honey Badger don't care. Hopefully that house settles on a conditioner, it would seem in their best interest to do so.

At the summer sport shot league I did, the proprietor took the opportunity to experiment with a different conditioner... all well and good for him but I was having a hard enough time, LOL. All of the patterns seemed to play "longer" than advertised, according to those who had some years of experience at that house. <shrug> Definitely not to the level you're describing though. It will be interesting to see how this different center does with the sport shot patterns for the winter league I joined. I already ordered a new slide sole and heel for my slide shoe, they have synthetic approaches and I always feel like I'm tearing my knee and hip apart when I bowl there. Hoping the super-slidey sole and/or heel will take away some of the pain...

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/20/13 09:22 PM

Hey everyone...I lied about last week being the last scoring week of the summer league. Today was the last week...and my single best ever, too, finishing with a bang. This pretty much speaks for itself and tells a huge story. I was 100% on my single pins during these three games...which was an accomplishment in itself. All in all, a great series, second game, and consistency (for the most part).

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/20/13 10:39 PM

Last night of HS PBA league, which I help the kids line up on the oil patterns. No need to teach fundamentals since these are all HS Bowlers. But, the thing they can't do well is read the lanes. Another is how to match balls to the condition. That's where I help.

Well, we decided to have a Beat the Coach night on the final night. And, I tried to walk the approach for the first time, rather then just 1-step.

Timing was all over. Swing was not consistent. I got fast feet at times. but, my release was consistent from 1-stepping.

Anyhow, Chameleon and I rolled my weakest ball. Shot 187-205-188. First and last games had 1 split open. Now it's time to ice my knee. I did feel a twinge in game 3, but not too significant to stop. Dr says the reattached MCL has to stretch back out to a regular position.

Leagues start next week. Gotta get ready.
Posted by: Dan300

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/22/13 08:19 AM

Summer league this year for me, I finished with a 226 average and 8 sets of 900+ (4 games, obviously) out of the 12 weeks that I bowled.

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/22/13 10:40 PM

185+218+229=632 for me tonight. First game started with a double but a couple of splits got me into trouble and had a hard time finding the pocket until game #2 when I broke out my Misfit and started with a 4 bagger, 7/, and then a double, but a whiffed 10 pin in the 9th and a spare and bucket on the fill cost me a much higher game.

Last game had to switch balls again, trying the Sync first and then settling on the Sure Thing. Went dutch the first four frames but followed it up with a four bagger before leaving a solid 7 pin in the 9th. Finished with X,9/ for the 229. Lanes were really hooking so I just kept my hand behind the ball and played up 2nd arrow and that worked out well.

Still have 1 week left but averages go into the book after tonight. Finished up with 204.97. Missed out on a 205 average by 1 lousy pin. Oh well, still 4 pins over my goal and a 24 pin improvement over my winter league average. Also, I am now eligible to join the PBA so I'll take those results.

Originally Posted By: Eternal Bowler
Hey everyone...I lied about last week being the last scoring week of the summer league. Today was the last week...and my single best ever, too, finishing with a bang. This pretty much speaks for itself and tells a huge story. I was 100% on my single pins during these three games...which was an accomplishment in itself. All in all, a great series, second game, and consistency (for the most part).
That's it buddy, way to go. Keep that up for the virtual league. smile

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 08/30/13 12:15 AM

Finished the summer with 191+225+188=604. Had trouble getting lined up the first game, relied mainly on spares and a double. Found it in the second game and was able to finish with a 5 bagger in the 8th, 9th, and 10th for the 225. Third game I struck every time on the right lane but could not strike on the left lane until the 11th. Had a couple of bad shots but also a few solid 7s and a solid 8 as well. Missed converting the 8 pin by a hair which cost me a dutch 200 game.

Overall, happy with how I finished the league. That makes 7 straight weeks of bowling above 600. Still looking for my first 700, but that will have to come in the fall league. Accomplished what I wanted to this summer and ended up winning the award for most improved bowler. I made sure not to leave it in the settee area. wink

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 09/01/13 10:10 PM

Very nice, svengali smile

Re: 2013 summer league thread - 09/03/13 04:46 PM

Thanks Richie smile