Another Personal First for me last night

Posted by: JW123

Another Personal First for me last night - 03/29/12 11:28 AM

My first triple deucey. I've had double deuceys before, but never a triple. Just a 640 series though. 226-212-202
Posted by: Hunter

Re: Another Personal First for me last night - 03/29/12 12:13 PM

Very awesome JW. You are probably similar in scoring to me. My league average is the same as yours, but I am looking for my first double and/or triple dueces.

Next feat would be quad dueces in your 4 game league :P

Re: Another Personal First for me last night - 03/29/12 12:37 PM

Thanks Hunter. Last week I had a coach recommend a new way to use the 5 minutes of practice before league so I'm not wasting 4 frames in game one. (First ball shoot plastic at the 6-10; if it hooks I know the lanes are BONE dry. Second ball hook at the 4-7; see if it skids or jumps because that's going to tell something about the lane condition. I bowl second shift so I don't have predictable conditions from week to week. After the 2 test balls on each lane, then try for strikes. Most bowlers aren't doing this in pre-league practice as you know.)

My first games have tended to be pretty awful despite the average, and I usually tend to save my series in game three; last week I had a 132 first game and pulled out a 623 series. My best series ever wasn't a triple deucey because, guess what, yep, 189 first game when I didn't get my second strike until the 7th frame. (2 non-double strikes, 6 spares and a split open in the first 9 frames is not going to get you a deuce even if you go out in the 10th.)
Posted by: 10PinGaloot

Re: Another Personal First for me last night - 03/30/12 09:30 AM

Congrats, JW - especially on challenging lane conditions.
Posted by: Charlie98

Re: Another Personal First for me last night - 03/30/12 09:31 AM

Good job! It sounds easy but it took me quite some time to bowl one of those. Consistency is the key... except consistency isn't one of my strong points... wink
Posted by: cgrimes

Re: Another Personal First for me last night - 03/30/12 10:57 PM

I probably sound stupid, but what is a triple deuece?
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: Another Personal First for me last night - 03/31/12 07:18 AM

Originally Posted By: cgrimes
I probably sound stupid, but what is a triple deuece?

Three 200+ games in a three game series.

Nice going JW. I'm not sure how many times I've done that, I don't think it was all that often other than when I was really bowling really well in the spring of 2006 and a series below 650 wasn't that common. This year I've only done it once out of six 600+ series. A couple of the other five was close, with the one game under 200 being in the 190s. One of them I did with a 157 game in the middle. I just thought something weird. My highest series of 763 only had one game in the 200s and it was a 264. One was a 300 and the final game a 199.

Re: Another Personal First for me last night - 03/31/12 08:00 PM

Seems it sounds easier than it really is. One would likely assume that any series over 650 or so is more likely than not to be a triple deucey, but that really isn't the case.

So far between my two leagues this year, I have 14 series where I've broken 200 in two of the three games but not the other. One of them was last night, a 234-207-168 when everything came unglued in my last two frames on the left lane of game three, the 8th and 10th. I've actually had a 557 with two of the three in the 200's back in January (not going to talk about game one that night) and I only had two of three in my high series of 671.
Posted by: champ

Re: Another Personal First for me last night - 04/01/12 01:43 AM

Good bowling JW. I've done it twice this year; a 626 and a 708. I've also had a 674 and a 652 this year that both had a sub200 game in there.