7 - 10 Split........ Adjustment??

Posted by: One Pin Standing

7 - 10 Split........ Adjustment?? - 03/17/11 06:48 PM

Had a situation in league last night and I have a question that I hope the fine folks here can give me some insight.

I had three back to back to back 7 - 10 splits last night and narrowly avoided a fourth one in a later frame. Was this just a fluke.........bad luck, or is there some adjustment that can be made to avoid this mess? I know this is probably a stupid question, but I currently have no answer and this has been bugging me all day.
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: 7 - 10 Split........ Adjustment?? - 03/17/11 07:03 PM

I believe 7-10s usually occur when the ball breaks just a tad later than one that strikes and comes in at a bit of an extreme angle hitting low on the head pin. Moving a board or two out might get the ball to break at the right point and face up better. Also a ball with more surface might help.
Posted by: Skeeball

Re: 7 - 10 Split........ Adjustment?? - 03/17/11 11:52 PM

Follow up question: What is the best way try and make a 7-10 split?

Thanks.
Posted by: ijohn83

Re: 7 - 10 Split........ Adjustment?? - 03/18/11 01:01 AM

Direct hit on the non-gutter pin that traps that pin in corner. The pin's only place to go is up & over the ball onto the pin deck; from there it is all luck.

~ John

Re: 7 - 10 Split........ Adjustment?? - 03/18/11 02:24 AM

Thanks ljohn83. I guess you would also want to throw it as hard as possible to bounce it out of the pit.

What is the non-gutter pin? Is that the one opposite the ball return?
Posted by: ijohn83

Re: 7 - 10 Split........ Adjustment?? - 03/18/11 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Skeeball
Thanks ljohn83. I guess you would also want to throw it as hard as possible to bounce it out of the pit.

Ha! Ha! Yes. I mean the outside gutter away from the ball return.
I have read here that the ball return gutter is deeper and has less chance of a pin coming out of it. IE: To max out chance of picking up the 7-10, target 10 pin on right lane, left lane target 7 pin.
As a side note: one of my goals in bowling is to pick up the 7-10 split. I am lined up to shoot my single 7's & 10's with that in mind. So when I finally leave a 7-10 I am excited and ready to make it. I shoot my normal shot (no harder or softer) and hope for the best; been close but haven't made it yet.

PS My normal is probably considered hard! - 18mph on the overhead.
Posted by: J_w73

Re: 7 - 10 Split........ Adjustment?? - 03/18/11 02:10 PM

I've been plagued by 7-10's lately too. Pocket 7 10 cost me a 300 last Sunday and I had a 7 strike , 1 missed pocket 194 game with 2 7 10's.. one in the tenth..
I'm not sure what the deal is.. For me a 7 10 is usually wide and a little long before the ball gets to the pocket.

I will say there is something to bouncing the pins out.. I know speed seems to help. We have guys that throw the ball really hard and pins are always bouncing out all over. One guy picked up the 7 10 twice in one night..

There is another guy that doesn't throw the ball fast at all but for some reason always has the 10 pin bounce back on the deck when he shoots it. I counted 6 times one night. Maybe it is his ball but he doesn't throw anything different then anyone else.. I think a maxim..
Maybe it is his speed , rotation, and angle into the ten pin.
Posted by: TheDemolitionMan

Re: 7 - 10 Split........ Adjustment?? - 03/18/11 02:46 PM

When i leave the 7-10 I look to myself, because I notice that the ball has a weirder different roll on it than I've rolling the rest of the night. So for me, it's in the release.

Re: 7 - 10 Split........ Adjustment?? - 03/18/11 08:38 PM

Whew! Thanks for unconfusing me which doesn't take much these days! Yes, I think I have read the same here that the pit has a slight tilt to it towards the ball return. Makes sense so the ball rolls back to the return mechanism.

Sometimes I'll use my plastic ball which is a little lighter and try to hurl it down the lanes at the corner pin. Heavier ball goes slower but has more mass so pick your poison.

Thanks much.

Originally Posted By: ijohn83
Originally Posted By: Skeeball

Ha! Ha! Yes. I mean the outside gutter away from the ball return.
I have read here that the ball return gutter is deeper and has less chance of a pin coming out of it. IE: To max out chance of picking up the 7-10, target 10 pin on right lane, left lane target 7 pin.
As a side note: one of my goals in bowling is to pick up the 7-10 split. I am lined up to shoot my single 7's & 10's with that in mind. So when I finally leave a 7-10 I am excited and ready to make it. I shoot my normal shot (no harder or softer) and hope for the best; been close but haven't made it yet.

PS My normal is probably considered hard! - 18mph on the overhead.
Posted by: cloudffvii

Re: 7 - 10 Split........ Adjustment?? - 04/04/11 08:51 PM

Generally speaking, in my experience, your ball is nearly DOA (in terms of power) when it hits the pocket.

You end up leaving a weak 10 but then the 4 pin misses the 7, thus you end up with a 7-10 split.

I would never move after leaving just 1 of those, because it likely was just a bad delivery or you missed your mark. However, after a 2nd one it's definitely something with the lanes, your release, or how you are playing.

I usually tell people to just make a minor adjustment (half step up/back on the approach, change your ball position slightly, etc.) That's all it usually means, after all, you're hitting the pocket.

A good drill is simply to hold your finish and watch your ball reaction. If it's coming up too late, you're risking the 10 pin, the 7-10, the 2-10, or even the 2-8-10. If you're coming up too soon, then you say hello to the 4-9, 4-6, 4-6-10, 4-7-10, among others.

This game can be so frustrating sometimes right! LOL

(you reminded me of a night I was bowling Colorama in Alaska and I shot 868. The one miss? A pocket 7-10 smile
Posted by: rrb6699 (RayRay)

Re: 7 - 10 Split........ Adjustment?? - 04/15/17 10:39 PM

I bowled in a shootout today and had 4 pocket 7-10s. missed the cut by 4 pins. Its a monthly scratch event. had I been in the other two divisions I still would have qualified. just no luck. the last 7-10 was a light mixer to top it off 2nd ball of the 10th in the last game. aside from that one all the others were good looking hits.

I've had a rash of these in the last weeks. at least one a night. I use stronger covers with surface a lot, so, I'm conscious about letting the ball roll out.

many factors cause it that I've seen. no power with a late finish. roll out where there is not enough angle. mostly, it looks like speed and revs not matched up. I know a guy who throws about 19 with decent rev rate and you can see the hits he carries that lower speed / rev players leave.

without hitting the pocket sweet spot, you need power and speed. accuracy doesn't always work because ball roll changes as the shot changes. that is when you're open to pocket splits and taps even though you're throwing it "good" like I did today.

I will go back to this event next month and claim it. without the 7-10s.

it was my first try but the 2nd time I bowled in the house and did score 66 pins better. I did well considering I bowled against guys who bowled there many times and have the house down very well. I see what works now.

Posted by: W9JAB

Re: 7 - 10 Split.....Awesome tip - 04/17/17 10:05 AM

Quote:
Direct hit on the non-gutter pin that traps that pin in corner. The pin's only place to go is up & over the ball onto the pin deck
the outside gutter away from the ball return.I have read that the pit has a slight tilt to it towards the ball return. Makes sense so the ball rolls back to the return mechanism.

Awesome tip, never heard that on before.