Scoring Pace?

Posted by: aoiten

Scoring Pace? - 09/08/10 12:00 PM

Could someone explain the phrase "scoring pace"? I basically get it, but I don't have a good feel for it for some reason. In particular, what does "The scoring pace is 200-210 average." mean and is it considered good?
Posted by: TheDemolitionMan

Re: Scoring Pace? - 09/08/10 12:11 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it's the pace a bowler is going at in a match or set of games to average 200-210. I'd say it depends. If you average, 230 a 200-120 pace would be bad. Average 190, I'd say it'd be good.
Posted by: Atochabsh

Re: Scoring Pace? - 09/08/10 02:06 PM

Scoring Pace is whatever is common for that house or condition. Say you have an older center with wood lanes, poorly maintained and not well oiled. Well the scoring pace is probably going to be fairly low. That's low for just about everyone.

Compare that to a newer center with synthetic lanes, well kept up, newly and well installed, topography set up for optimum scoring and well oiled with a generous scoring pattern. That scoring pace would be high.

You can also toss in there specific oil patterns that are more or less generous for scoring. The [censored] Weber pattern, its going to set a lower scoring pace then the new "white" USBC pattern.

Scoring pace is also dependant on the level and experience of the bowlers. If you set a tournament for 100% handicap that draws a lot of less experienced bowlers, keeping away the higher experienced bowlers, then the scoring pace will probably be lower.

But its all relative. You don't need to score high, you just need to score the most.

Erin