How mwny times a week do you bowl?

Posted by: Dennis Michael

How mwny times a week do you bowl? - 08/11/06 09:08 AM

My wife thinks I spend altogether too much time at the bowling alley. I don't. She can come with, but chooses not to.

I bowl on Monday, Wednesday nights and Friday, late afternoon.

Is this too much?
Posted by: BillinPhilly

Re: How mwny times a week do you bowl? - 08/11/06 09:23 AM

I bowl twice a week now in the winter. Usually Monday night and Thursday night.

"Too much" is relative. Any of these are symptoms of too much bowling to me:
- Spending so much money on bowling ang bowling stuff that I can't pay bills (hasn't happened)
- My hands and/or fingers/joints hurt and/or are developing blisters
- My life in other areas is negatively affected so that it causes some problems, such as fights and disagreement with my wife, for example because I'm bowling on friday and she wants to go to some event. (This is why I avoid bowling the weekends)

All things in moderation. If you're happy with the amount of bowlig you're doing and it is not causing problems or issues in other areas of your life, then its probably fine.

My .02
Posted by: Silent Mike

Re: How mwny times a week do you bowl? - 08/11/06 10:10 AM

Right now I don't bowl Mondays.
- I bowl 4 practice games every Tues with friends/coworkers.
- I bowl my league on Weds.
- Thurs. sometimes we get 3 games of practice in sometimes not.
- Friday is another league night.
- Saturday I usually practice 6-8 games on my own.
- Sunday more times than not I get another 4 games in on my own.

So about 25 games a week plus or minus.
Posted by: shake'm up

Re: How mwny times a week do you bowl? - 08/11/06 10:15 AM

I bowl one league, and practice 5 other days a week.
Posted by: fidelblanco

Re: How mwny times a week do you bowl? - 08/11/06 11:27 AM

in the winter i bowl sunday mornings which is 4 games, and wednesday nights for 3 games. i normally practice 1 other day during the week for 4 games so my total is 11 games per week. i would however bowl in one more league a week but it starts to get expensive when you add it up per month.

sunday league $25
wednesday league $15
4 practice games $10
total per week $50
total per month $200
Posted by: Tyveil

Re: How mwny times a week do you bowl? - 08/11/06 12:51 PM

Well it really depends on your situation too. Have kids? I do and 2 nights a week bowling is pushing it. I could handle (physically and financially) bowling 20+ games a week but as is I only get 6 games (3 in each league). Maybe once my daughter gets old enough to bowl along with me I'll be able to go more.
Posted by: Just call me Al

Re: How mwny times a week do you bowl? - 08/11/06 02:38 PM

Dennis,
I love to bowl, but I also can't afford another divorce. You must choose, bowl a lot or keep the little lady happy. Sometimes you can do both by getting her to bowl with you in a mixed league,
Posted by: ORobbed1

Re: How mwny times a week do you bowl? - 08/11/06 03:07 PM

Al,
I’m on the other end of the equation, that is, recently divorced and bowling keeps me out of trouble (well kinda), so I bowl a lot. Practice 5 or 6 days a week in lieu of lunch and joined 5 leagues (at least one too many!) But, I sure have improved a lot. Was averaging 160+/- in first winter league, now averaging 198 to 203 depending on the league. Looking forward to maybe participating in 3 winter leagues. Decided if I ever meet someone new ‘must love bowling’ love will have to be an imperative.
Posted by: sawmill

Re: How mwny times a week do you bowl? - 08/11/06 07:13 PM

How much homework did / do you do? Bowling is a lot like being a student. You should expect to spent 1X, 2X, 3X or more of the time that you spend in competition (class) on practice (homework). I try to bowl at least 2X or 3X as many "training" games as I do "real" games. That's if you want to improve. Maintenance mode might be 1X. The way my schedule works out, I only have time to bowl in one league a week so I try to practice for 6 or 9 games a week. Once summer ends and fall leagues start up that will wind up being 10 games on week on Sunday mornings which I try to structure as 1 warm-up / read-the-lanes game and the rest where I practice one thing for 2 or 3 games and then practice for score the last two or 3 games. Unfortunately for me, Brunswick bought out the independent center with most of the competitive men's leagues where I live and have slowly but surely been squeezing out as much open play as they can in order to boost profits. I don't bowl after 9PM which pretty much only leaves Sunday mornings and afternoons and makes it harder for me to practice by without interruption. Always somebody who wants to stop by while you are practicing and maybe even try to get a little friendly competition going....
Posted by: Show300

Re: How mwny times a week do you bowl? - 08/11/06 07:43 PM

Well since my wife has recently taken to the 'If you can't beat 'em, join 'em' motto, she's been practicing almost every night for the past two weeks learning to throw her new Tropical Storm.

My bowling has truly been relegated to just weekends because I'm working second shift, so no night leagues during the week. But my wife has been good about letting me use my weekends for bowling.

Prior to my shift change, I was bowling Friday and Sunday nights. As for practice, it's good for me now...I just drop off the kids at summer camp, the baby at day care and I'm in the bowling alley by 9 using up that fresh morning oil.

I normally try to practice at least 3 times a week, 6 or more games per practice and if I don't bowl ABT or other tournament on weekends then I may do about 15 games on a Saturday while the kids are in the arcade.

It is truly a balance, especially when you have a wife and/or family...I found that out in the first year of my marriage. Fortunately, we worked past it and my marriage is better for it. And like I said before, my wife has taken to the game and now she understands why I got hooked like I did.

Maybe one day we might start blazing up the doubles circuit...
Posted by: Lefont

Re: How mwny times a week do you bowl? - 08/11/06 11:11 PM

I just finished my summer league, which it was wednesday. I work on my own schedule so I can take a break here and there and since I drive for my job I'm also able to try different houses. I usually bowl three lunchtime games on mondays. Three on wednesdays for league. Three on friday evenings and three on sunday mornings. That's a total of 12 games a week.

I will exchange the practice games on friday for league games on friday, so I'll be bowling probably about the same amount of games this fall .

As many here I have also been accused of bowling way too much.
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: How mwny times a week do you bowl? - 08/12/06 09:40 AM

Show300

"Well since my wife has recently taken to the 'If you can't beat 'em, join 'em' motto, she's been practicing almost every night for the past two weeks learning to throw her new Tropical Storm."

I wish this were true for my wife. I got her to join a Mixed league a couple of years ago. The people were friendly, I thought we had a good time. We won the league too, and she got money back for the first time in her life. I thought she was hooked. But, when it came to the next year, she decided against it.

I love to bowl. I gave it up for a long time while raising kids. Now that I am back, I am hooked again. As with my wife, one of my kids likes to bowl, the other doesn't.

I guess liking bowling is genetic.
Posted by: Tyveil

Re: How mwny times a week do you bowl? - 08/12/06 10:47 AM

I think anyone can learn to love bowling as long as they have a single ounce of competitive nature to them. A lot of people join for the social aspect (a place to meet people, drink and have fun) but what keeps them around is the desire to improve their game. There aren't a lot of sports that let people of any skill level truly compete. There are plenty of other social opportunities available besides bowling so I don't think the social aspect has any staying power.

I've kept my wife interested by getting her some decent equipment and coaching. Once she realized she could do well at the sport she was hooked.

I don't know what I would do if my wife was completely uninterested to the point of not even giving the sport a chance.
Posted by: Brandon510

Re: How mwny times a week do you bowl? - 08/12/06 03:14 PM

Well if its in moderation not too much as long as your not over doing your self.

My self I bowl Monday a & Friday for practice and Bowl League on Thursday. Not as much as when i was young and in youth leagues. I used to be Jr. Coach for bumber and pewee leagues so i would in the summer coch three tiem a week monday tuesday and thursday. Bowl league friday and saturday. I used to coach for 10 free games each time i coached and would use it for unlimited practice time on the lanes. I basically lived at bowling alley when i was young. Keepet me off the streets and ect.. So was good for me.