How many leagues it too many

Posted by: lee

How many leagues it too many - 11/01/09 04:38 PM

This year I'm in three evening leagues and one traveling league in the early afternoon. On Friday I bowl color pins in the morning.

My composite avg is 179. I'm in a slump where I only shoot a 500 series less than half the time. The composite avg is going down each week by about a pin or two. I'm thinking maybe I'm bowling competition too much and not practicing enough. I only get to practice once a week where I work on balance drills and corner pins.

What do coaches here in the forums recommend for a good balance between leagues and practice? I'm retired and can practice anytime.

Lee
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: How many leagues it too many - 11/01/09 11:34 PM

lee, leagues are Mon, Tues, Fri.
Practices are Wed afternoon, Fri Afternoon and Sunday morning.

I like practicing the day of bowling league at night. Seems to work out better.
Posted by: Reconbbs

Re: How many leagues it too many - 11/01/09 11:44 PM

I keep myself to 2 days a week bowling. Tuesday Early and Late League

Thursday Early and Late league. Works out for me fine. 6 games a day is nothing to me.
Posted by: who's that

Re: How many leagues it too many - 11/01/09 11:48 PM

My motto is bowl as much as the two "W's" will let ya!
Posted by: Reconbbs

Re: How many leagues it too many - 11/02/09 12:00 AM

If I didn't have a girlfriend that hated bowling (I love her) I would be bowling every day. The 3 leagues I'm already in and the rest subbing.

Re: How many leagues it too many - 11/02/09 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: who's that
My motto is bowl as much as the two "W's" will let ya!

Is this the Wife and the other Woman?
Posted by: Jock

Re: How many leagues it too many - 11/02/09 03:11 AM

Non, Dennis, it's more likely the Wife and the Wallet!

Re: How many leagues it too many - 11/02/09 06:26 AM

Oh Yeah, the wallet could be a restrictor. I was looking at the time required to maintain the 2 W's I mentioned. Now, if my second W was also a bowler, that would simplify some things.
Posted by: Atochabsh

Re: How many leagues it too many - 11/02/09 08:33 AM

League is definately not practicing. So bowling league with all your "bowling time" isn't really condusive to picking up your aveage.

But also practicing without knowing what to improve isn't any better.

Here we are two months into the 8 month winter season. Its early. If you are in a slump, and think you are going down, then it just might be temporary. Not a cause of the leagues. But if you want to get higher then the 180 mark, you'd be better off dropping a league or so, and investing the money in lessons and practice.

But if bowling all the leagues gets your through your week and you have the personal life and money to allow it, it might be worth it to you to bowl those leagues. It all depends on your goals and why you bowl.

Erin
Posted by: 10PinGaloot

Re: How many leagues it too many - 11/02/09 02:24 PM

I agree with Erin. If you want the sociability of the leagues and can afford them, that's great. If you want competition, you might try tournaments instead or in addition.

But if you just like to bowl, open bowling is way cehaper if you go at the right time of day.

I would say there's no upper limit unless you're married and the spousal unit wants you to stay home.

Another pair of eyes is necessary to see what in your game can be improved. Whether a teammate or a coach or the coaches here.
Posted by: Dan300

Re: How many leagues it too many - 11/02/09 02:58 PM

Don't know if it is "too many" but next year I'll be bowling in 3 leagues in an attempt to secure a "high average" spot within my area's association. This year I'm in 2 leagues, plus I'm 6th man on 2 other teams.
Posted by: who's that

Re: How many leagues it too many - 11/03/09 07:54 AM

sorry Dennis for such a late response, wife & wallet..
Posted by: Russ I.

Re: How many leagues it too many - 11/03/09 12:24 PM

Originally Posted By: SpareMe
I agree with Erin. If you want the sociability of the leagues and can afford them, that's great. If you want competition, you might try tournaments instead or in addition.

But if you just like to bowl, open bowling is way cehaper if you go at the right time of day.

I would say there's no upper limit unless you're married and the spousal unit wants you to stay home.

Another pair of eyes is necessary to see what in your game can be improved. Whether a teammate or a coach or the coaches here.

Agreed with all the above. One league for me frown
I do miss the other pair of eyes on my league team as he helped me alot
Bowling with a whole new team this year
Posted by: Joe Bowler

Re: How many leagues it too many - 11/03/09 12:38 PM

The 3 leagues that I bowl in are all different.

The first league is a mixed league I bowl with my wife and another couple. It is a fun league on a house shot.

The second league is a competitive men's league with 5-man teams. It is a money league on a house shot.

The third league is a PBA experience league. It is competitive, but most bowlers are there to learn the patterns.

I would not give any of them up, nor do I feel compelled to join any additional leagues. For me, I suppose three is the ideal number of leagues.
Posted by: ecub

Re: How many leagues it too many - 11/10/09 12:06 PM

Last year, I bowled in 3 (Mon Mixed, Wed Men's, Thur Men's) and bowl for practice/fun on either Friday and/or Sunday. It took a toll in my wallet & time. Also when I used to bowl allot of games on Sunday, due to their quarter mania ($6 cover & .25/game), my arm felt dead on Monday. So this year, I don't practice the day before any leagues. I also cut down to 2 leagues (Mon Mixed & Wed Men's)
Posted by: VFF57

Re: How many leagues it too many - 11/10/09 02:02 PM

I'm in three (same house) and sub for a fourth (different house) and practice on Sunday mornings when I can. Two of the leagues are back to back on Thursday's (6:30 & 9:00). During the winter I rather go out and bowl instead of watching some of the cr*p that's on TV these days.