Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review

Posted by: sk8shorty01

Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 02/19/14 09:18 AM

Here is the video, hope you all enjoy!

Posted by: 56bird

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 02/19/14 12:24 PM

Nice vid as always, Sir.

I do want to point out that calling the core the same as the Virtual Gravity is an interesting statement. While I'd agree the shape is about the same or the same, they've tweaked the densities big time. I'd describe it as a "detuned" VG core, less diff, less int diff, higher RG (lots higher!).

When it was announced I said "Who needs this ball?" and now I'm tempted to drop some coin on one and see just how wrong I was (as per usual).

Also, I think I spotted you...
http://wikiDOTbowlingchatDOTnet/wiki/index.php?title=Pros_play_the_inside_of_the_ball (replace the DOTs with . )
Posted by: VFF57

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 02/19/14 01:27 PM

Looks interesting. Iím a soft touch when it comes to a ball having the word gravity in its name. Most of my honor scores were achieved while using the VG. Unfortunately, the houses Iím in donít put enough oil down for anything too strong unless I play way deep which brings on other problems for me at least. These local 10-10 house conditions that are ALL about high ball speed will eventually drive me to just sport leagues(if available) and maybe then I can start buying equipment like this again.

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 02/19/14 02:18 PM

@Rick, you are correct in that the densities have changed quite a bit, and actually a lot more than I realized until you mentioned it. I knew they were adjusted but I didn't compare them side by side and never noticed how big of a change it was.

As far as shape, this is the closest thing I have thrown in a long time to even being close to the original Virtual Gravity down lane. It handles oil but doesn't lose entry angle in the process, something the Virtual Gravity excelled at.

You are also correct that is my release in those still images, I would think if I did another slow motion release today I bet my hand is quite a bit more inside of the ball as that has been my sole focus over the last year or so.

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 02/19/14 03:57 PM

It reminds me of the IQ Tour series in that Storm/Roto somehow does "more" with what appears to be "less".

When the IQ Tour Edition was announced I thought "Junk, who wants that?" but got a Gold Ball kinda by chance, loved it and now have the solid and love that ball too.

Gives me that suspicion that I'd like this one as well.

Cool to work on changing aspects of your release (whenever I see mine on film, I cringe! Maybe I'll make progress there, someday...) but I wouldn't obsess over it. We don't all have to be Ronnie Russell even if the author of that webpage has a man-crush on him, and to an extent I think it is an advantage to do what comes more naturally. I bet in that photo you're more "inside" the ball than Parker or Norm would tend to be, and those guys don't suck.
Posted by: mmalsed

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 02/20/14 11:20 AM

Thanks a LOT, Sk8, for showing me yet ANOTHER thing I want to spend money on! LOL

Great vid

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 02/20/14 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: mmalsed
Thanks a LOT, Sk8, for showing me yet ANOTHER thing I want to spend money on! LOL
Great vid

You won't be disappointed, lol!
Posted by: SteveH

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 02/20/14 03:59 PM

I'm just getting dizzy at the amount of new balls being introduced now. Lat night was one of my confused bowling nights. My eyes glazed over in the third game as I struck out for a 155 and a 503 series (:

My Wrecker was drifting left and my Byte was missing to the right. In spite of these new balls this month, I'll have to chalk it up to my week arm. I was tempted to think that I needed something lighter than my 15# balls until my arm heeled up, but haven't gone that route yet.

I just wish that we had far more coaches and real ball pros where I live instead of balls salesmen, pushing a new ball for every bad night of bowling.

As I look at all these ball videos, it becomes extremely difficult to relate to them as you have great bowlers throwing strike after strike. I think they'd throw strikes with a granite Fred Flinstone ball LOL

So far, the only video that matched what I've usually done with the ball was the Byte.

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 02/20/14 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: SteveH
I'm just getting dizzy at the amount of new balls being introduced now. Lat night was one of my confused bowling nights. My eyes glazed over in the third game as I struck out for a 155 and a 503 series (:
My Wrecker was drifting left and my Byte was missing to the right. In spite of these new balls this month, I'll have to chalk it up to my week arm. I was tempted to think that I needed something lighter than my 15# balls until my arm heeled up, but haven't gone that route yet.
I just wish that we had far more coaches and real ball pros where I live instead of balls salesmen, pushing a new ball for every bad night of bowling.
As I look at all these ball videos, it becomes extremely difficult to relate to them as you have great bowlers throwing strike after strike. I think they'd throw strikes with a granite Fred Flinstone ball LOL
So far, the only video that matched what I've usually done with the ball was the Byte.

Steve,

One thing you have to realize about us "great bowlers" is that on camera everyone throws strike after strike with the equipment. We get to edit the footage so obviously the bad shots are removed and the good shots that showcase the ball are kept.

For me I try to get at least 5 good shots with each bowling ball for the review, some times that takes 5 shots to get them but there are times it takes an entire game. It just depends on how the conditions are that day and whether or not I am executing well or not.

I can promise I don't average 300 in league but I am pretty sure I do in the ball reaction videos wink
Posted by: Joe Bowler

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 02/21/14 04:19 AM

Thanks for the video, Sk8, especially the comparisons. I have the Byte, and I thought that was angular. I was a bit surprised to see the Zero Gravity go longer and turn harder. Nice!

By the way, interesting to see Storm promoting its own Vector Layout System (VLS) over Dual Angle. With Storm's heavy footprint in the industry, I take that as a sign of things to come.

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 02/21/14 08:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
Thanks for the video, Sk8, especially the comparisons. I have the Byte, and I thought that was angular. I was a bit surprised to see the Zero Gravity go longer and turn harder. Nice!
By the way, interesting to see Storm promoting its own Vector Layout System (VLS) over Dual Angle. With Storm's heavy footprint in the industry, I take that as a sign of things to come.

Funny you mention the promotion of the VLS because I have used it for a while now to lay out equipment but I haven't been calling out the numbers with it because most people understand Dual Angle numbers and not the Pin Buffer layouts so thats what I went with.

It was mentioned to me by an employee that it would be nice if I could use the Pin Buffer system (which is no problem) so from now on I will either be calling out both numbers or maybe just transitioning all the way to just Pin Buffer.
Posted by: Fin09

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 02/21/14 11:05 AM

Their suggested layouts that come with each ball have used pin buffer numbers for years. I have tinkered a little with the VLS system, and I like the data that you have to input in order to get a fine-tuned layout for what condition you're going to use the ball.
Posted by: SteveH

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 02/22/14 01:35 PM

So the Zero Gravity is longer than the Byte? I was pleased with my Byte in that I can play a little more inside on the lighter oil, where I could never really get my Disturbed to turn on those conditions, and my Lucid turned too soon.

I'm curious as to the differences between reactions and length of the new IQ Fusion and this Zero Gravity.

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 02/23/14 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: SteveH
So the Zero Gravity is longer than the Byte? I was pleased with my Byte in that I can play a little more inside on the lighter oil, where I could never really get my Disturbed to turn on those conditions, and my Lucid turned too soon.
I'm curious as to the differences between reactions and length of the new IQ Fusion and this Zero Gravity.

Its not so much that the Zero Gravity is "longer" than the Byte (although it is with the Byte scuffed to 1000 grit) its that the Zero Gravity is a similar reaction shape but able to handle more oil than the Byte (with the Byte at box surface).

If you watch my Tour Fusion review and the Zero Gravity review those were both shot on the same day, back to back, so that should give you a really good idea about how different the two really are.

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 03/25/14 08:52 AM

In my PBAX league, we are currently bowling on the 43-foot USBC team pattern. I did well starting off with my HyperCell, rolling in the 260's, but as the lanes transitioned, it was a big step down to the Byte, even at 600 grit. It was just a little late getting to the pocket and I left a lot of 3-7-9's (lefty). This morning, I ordered a Zero G. Below is how I see it fitting into my arsenal.

Outside (earlier and curlier):
Sync @320
IQ Tour (solid) @600
Advantage @1200/polished

Inside (later and more angular):
HyperCell @320
Zero Gravity @600
Byte @1200/polished

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 03/25/14 09:08 AM

Received mine last night and drove straight from the pro shop to league where I used it all four games fresh OOB.

It's an interesting ball for sure. We ended up going with a pin-down layout, sorry I don't have the DA or other layout specs but it's a fair bit closer pin-to-pap than my other stuff, I think around 3", no hole.

The ball shows very little flare, I think the rings are even tighter than what I get out of my IQs (solid and pearl). Still gets into a strong roll on a fairly heavy THS though. I didn't shoot the lights out but that's more an execution thing than anything to do with the ball. It has a less angular move than my other asyms but it has a predictable yet strong arc for me. It's definitely a different ball than what I'm used to and will take a little time to acclimate to, but as it is I did shoot a little bit over my average, and that's with whiffing way too many single pins (I think all 10 pins).

Will be interested to play with surface on it and see how it reacts differently. Bummed that next week is the last week of the season!

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 03/25/14 09:38 AM

I am planning to go Pin Up with mine, using the same aggressive layout as my HyperCell, 68į x 5-7/16 in x 37į. For me, that's 6-3/4 Pin to center of thumbhole which helps to maximize the Int Diff (asymmetry), with the Drilling Angle adjusted to minimize bowtie overlap. I hope to see about the same amount of track flare as my IQ Tour (solid).
Posted by: Fin09

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 03/25/14 11:42 AM

I'm looking at this for my nationals ball- probably this and the Fusion. I'll probably use a shorter pin to PAP measurement with a longer pin to MB and short pin buffer (I don't like to use the general 'pin up' or 'pin down' terms too much, but I see what you're trying to accomplish when those terms are used). I'll fine tune it when it actually arrives on my doorstep. I don't want to get it too soon, or I'll be too tempted to use it a lot before I go, negating some of the "new ball" effect.
The Fusion will probably be drilled fairly similar, but since the surface is going to be different, I'm looking at it for the singles and doubles events at nationals.

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 04/01/14 10:43 AM

Zero Gravity (0G). Got it. Drilled it. Rolled it. Love it.

We bowled our second week on the 43-foot USBC team pattern last night. Lately, I have been carving up a storm (no pun intended). I started off in warm-up and first game with my Sync @320 (target 1 board @40 feet). Once it started rolling a little early, I switched to the HyperCell @320 second game (target 3 board @40 feet). As the lanes opened up, I switched to the 0G @600 third and fourth games (same target 3 board @40 feet, but moving feet and target at arrows inside).

Scores: 195 (Sync), 202 (HyperCell), 239 (0G), 213 (0G)

The 239 game was enough to win the high game pot. Bam! I love it when a ball pays for itself out of the gate. Fourth game, I had another chance, but left and missed an 8 pin (lefty) in the tenth frame. My bad on the miss, but Yeah Baby to see the 0G hit hard enough to leave an 8 pin, when last week I was leaving 3-7-9's without it.

I think I will be liking the 0G as much as the IQ Tour solid, but with a different hook shape for different conditions. It fits right where I thought it would between my HyperCell and Byte among my more angular equipment. Next week, we start on the USBC singles/doubles pattern. With my current arsenal, I have never felt more ready for whatever pattern comes along.

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 04/01/14 05:35 PM

It's a neat ball, honestly I don't get how it seems as strong as it does with a core that seems like it should be so weak. I'm glad I didn't wait so long to jump on this bandwagon like I did with the IQ Tours.

Last night I had three absolute atomic 8-pins all in a row with the 0G. These were bracketed with strikes so what could have been a 5 bagger ended up X 9/ 9/ 9/ X. Got my point anyways... well, got all of them. High game with it so far at 279. The bad news is, last night was the last night of league. Looking into summer league options.

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 04/01/14 05:37 PM

It's a neat ball, honestly I don't get how it seems as strong as it does with a core that seems like it should be so weak. I'm glad I didn't wait so long to jump on this bandwagon like I did with the IQ Tours.

Last night I had three absolute atomic 8-pins all in a row with the 0G. These were bracketed with strikes so what could have been a 5 bagger ended up X 9/ 9/ 9/ X. Got my point anyways... well, got all of them. High game with it so far at 279. The bad news is, last night was the last night of league. Looking into summer league options.

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 04/13/14 11:35 AM

Finally got some video with the 0G, have a few shots with my Defiant Soul and a bunch with the IQ Tour Edition to compare it with. I'd say the Soul is 2-1 stronger than the 0G and the 0G is another 2-1 stronger than the Tour. Love all of these pieces.

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 04/14/14 07:54 AM

Nice video, Rick. You can really see the difference between the later, more angular hook shape of the Zero Gravity versus the earlier, more arcing hook shape of the IQ Tour Edition. I think both of these are great balls that should be in every bowler's bag.

Just curious, have you measured your axis tilt recently? It seems higher than I remember from previous videos. Not saying it's a bad thing. In fact, my PBAX teammate and I have noticed that a majority of the higher average bowlers in our PBAX league seem to get more spin than roll on the ball.

Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review - 04/14/14 04:22 PM

Thanks Joe.

Christina Hardee was one who recommended the ball to me, and she told me that it seemed to have radar for the pocket. I have to admit that what I notice about this ball isn't so much the shots that I made right, but the shots I made wrong that are strikes anyways. It just gives me a whole lot of forgiveness, miss left and it skates, miss right and it motors. I guess another phrase for this is "matched up" but it does this better at this particular house than the other gear in my arsenal.

Tilt... yeah I've always had it, with plenty to spare. When taking this video I was experimenting with tucking and double-tucking my pinkie, which had good results on the lanes even though I imagine it boosts my already excessive tilt. Might be what you were detecting, sharp eye.