IQ Tour Edition

Posted by: Joe Bowler

IQ Tour Edition - 10/03/13 10:39 AM

I like it! I know I am late to the party, since this ball was first introduced in July 2012, but what a great rolling ball! There were three conditions I was hoping the unique low RG, low Diff core/strong solid cover combination would be helpful - sport for control, top hat THS to blend over/under, and short THS with oil in the backends for better carry. I drilled it my usual 3-3/8 Pin to PAP x 6-3/4 Pin to center of thumbhole (97.5 X 3-3/8 x 41 dual angle), and polished it for its first test.

My first chance to roll the ball was on the short THS with oil in the backends. I was surprised how far inside I could stand, and how steep an angle I could play through the heads, and bring this ball back to the pocket hard with its modest Diff. The hook shape was a beautiful banana-shaped arc. It was very smooth, very predictable, and very forgiving. The lanes were extra dry, and I was standing 29, targeting 9 at the arrows. That's 2 boards off the lane at 40 feet! The ball never jumped, and never wiggled. There were no signs of carrydown or depletion, and I did not have to move my feet or target all night. If I was anywhere near my mark, I struck. My best game was a 269.

I am looking forward to trying the ball in my PBAX league, and the top hat THS with over/under. The cover seems to be very soft and porous, and picked up a lot of lane marks from its first 3 games. So, it may need to spend some extra time in the shop to maintain a smooth, oil-free surface. With its plain, dark blue cover, it is not likely to win any beauty contests, but it does have stealth appeal. Overall, for its first test, it was a big winner.
Posted by: rrb6699 (RayRay)

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/03/13 12:16 PM

Joe,

I was thinking of the IQ Tour Pearl but never considered this ball. i'd like to hear what happens on the sport shot (which one?) and the tophat THS with that ball. it may influence me. i threw the IQ Tour Pearl (gold one) and it seems to be a strong cover. the ball did not fit me and i only threw it 2x. the thumb hole was way too big but the span was close enough to throw it. the look i got was a sharp hockey stick backend. i may have to throw it more to give it a good eval.

RR
Posted by: 56bird

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/03/13 02:30 PM

For some folks the IQT Pearl seems to have the most back end of any ball EVER, for others it's a nice strong controlled reaction. I don't know but I think it depends on where you fall on the rev-match scale, that's my theory anyways. I'm picking one up used from a buddy of mine in a couple weeks so we'll see what it does for me smile

My Mass Eruption (low RG, medium diff, hybrid) was MONEY on Cheetah last night, 877 for 4 which I'd imagine was my personal best on sport. Right now I'm sold on "Low RG, medium diff" for short. I really think you will like that ball Joe, and like you're thinking, not just for short sport patterns either.
Posted by: mmalsed

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/04/13 11:10 AM

My IQTPearl is drilled to be less hockey stick and more arc. Works great MOST of the time and is the weirdest ball I've ever thrown.

I shot a 740 with it, including a 280. I didn't have to move the entire series - period. The thing does NOT come back with a track. . . ever. The ONLY time I've had to move during a game was when a husband/wife combo were playing just crossing my line AT the break point so I had to make two adjustments all evening. Weird - and when I swap to another ball, I have to remember to make the small progressive adjustments! LOL

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/04/13 12:11 PM

I find that I like pearl balls better in general. most of my better balls were pearls. storm has a matchmaker clinic here tomorrow. I will be there tryin all tryin all the balls they have there.
hopin to throw the IQ Tour balls with a closer fit than last time I threw a friends iqtp.
rr

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/04/13 12:12 PM

I see a lot of the IQ Tour Pearl on the lanes. Frankly, it's hard to miss it with its bright gold color. Not so much the solid blue IQ Tour Edition. I guess I shouldn't be surprised a review of the IQ Tour Edition would generate so many comments about the IQ Tour Pearl. I guess it's true...blondes have more fun.

There is certainly nothing wrong with R2S Pearl Reactive, the popular coverstock material in the IQ Tour Pearl (Hy-Road Pearl, Freak'N Frantic, etc.)...if you want more of a hockey stick reaction. But, for a smoother, stronger, controlled ball reaction, I will stick with R2S Solid Reactive in the IQ Tour Edition...you know, the older, quieter, brainier sister of the fun-loving blonde ball, hehe. wink
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/04/13 12:40 PM

Ray,

Are you going to the matchmaker at AlleyKatz?

If so, my good buddy Chad McClean is running that event with the South Region Product Rep, Ralph Solan.

Should be a great event!
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/05/13 05:03 AM

The IQ tour Pearl flew out of the Pro Shop and was all over the lanes, here. But, they are disappearing quickly. The Tour Edition is still being used a lot.

Saying that, the 300 shot against my team a few weeks ago was with a Pearl.

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/05/13 01:53 PM

Suggestion for Storm: Using the same control core, combine the dark blue IQ Tour Edition (solid) and gold IQ Tour Pearl using R2S hybrid technology to create the new blue and gold IQ Tour Ultimate. It would likely become the benchmark ball of the future.

I like the ball reaction of the IQ Tour Edition so much already that I am considering replacing my current benchmark ball with it. A hybrid version would be an even better fit.

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/06/13 10:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
Suggestion for Storm: Using the same control core, combine the dark blue IQ Tour Edition (solid) and gold IQ Tour Pearl using R2S hybrid technology to create the new blue and gold IQ Tour Ultimate. It would likely become the benchmark ball of the future.

I like the ball reaction of the IQ Tour Edition so much already that I am considering replacing my current benchmark ball with it. A hybrid version would be an even better fit.

I like this plan A LOT although it might look a lot like a Defiant Soul where they forgot the green. Performance-wise, this ball would be for real. Remember the R2S Hybrid has been one of the most successful covers of all time (Hy-road et al)

<Edit to add> Hey, how about "Hy-Q"?

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/06/13 03:47 PM

no i was unaware of the Alley Katz one. I'm going to the one in Ocala FL. it is next week. i was wrong about the date when i posted it. looking forward to going. I will see if he's there.

Any suggestions on what i should try and stuff like that? I am looking at the IQ Tour Pearl, the IQ Tour and maybe the new stuff being announced.

tell me, how do they do the ball layouts for these matchmakers so i know what i'm throwing?

rr

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/06/13 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: RickSchott

I like this plan A LOT although it might look a lot like a Defiant Soul where they forgot the green. Performance-wise, this ball would be for real. Remember the R2S Hybrid has been one of the most successful covers of all time (Hy-road et al)

<Edit to add> Hey, how about "Hy-Q"?

Or, "Introducing the Hy-IQ. That's one smart ball." Hehe, send the royalty checks to...
Posted by: Fin09

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/06/13 08:31 PM

I'm a little late to the conversation, but I can't say enough about the IQ Tour solid. I've thrown mine on everything from a 43' sport pattern to several THS conditions to a 37' Viper pattern. It's the most predictable ball in my bag, and hooks more than I thought it would. As far as scores go, I've shot 299, 300, 836 and 820 with it. I get a good strong arcing reaction that almost refuses to overreact if I get it to the dry a little too soon.
It does soak up oil (as do most Storm balls), so put it in the Revivor when the reaction starts to mellow. I keep mine at the OOB 4000 finish, and clean it after each use.

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/07/13 05:34 AM

I went over to stormbowling website and filled out the "contact" form. Maybe if they get enough suggestions, they'll make the hybrid version smile
Posted by: NaSTI

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/07/13 08:19 AM

I'm sad that my Iq Tour solid is dead. I got my grip/span rechecked by Ron Hoppe and had to get it fully plugged and re drilled. Well after de oiling it and resurfacing it, it still did not have the same reaction as brand new or before I had it plugged.

So I researched for a new benchmark ball and ended up getting the Track 505C2. Since having it for only 2 weeks. My last 3 series with it were 644, 722 and 657.

I'm not sure which I like more but I do remember really falling in love with the reaction of the Iq.

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/07/13 09:01 AM

It's one thing to compare a ball's performance with brand new versus right before having it plugged, especially if the only change was to lengthen the span. I would take it back to your Pro Shop and find out what was done to resurface it and have them try again. See Storm's resurfacing instructions. http://stormbowling.com/tech-sheets/iqtouredition-techsheet.pdf

When I got my IQ Tour Edition, I was not thinking benchmark ball, but it sure does have that potential. I would think the modest Diff would make it ideally suited for power players. For us strokers, the Lights Out is already R2S Hybrid and has a slightly stronger but equally predictable core, the light bulb shaped Turbine (same as in the Natural series). If I was actually shopping for a benchmark ball, that would have been my first choice.

Over the weekend, I had a chance to roll the IQ Tour Edition on the Earl Anthony pattern and compare it head-to-head with some of my other equipment. The solid cover is definitely stronger than my pearl and hybrid equipment, and the core somewhere in the middle. It was okay, but not overly impressive. For a change, my pearl and hybrid equipment had sufficient backend on the Brunswick Pro Anvilane surface. Where I believe the IQ Tour will excel is when there is less friction (ex: Wolf), and I need help from the ball to bring it back to the pocket. I may wind up comparing the IQ Tour with the Big Bang SE to see which gets the slot in my bag.
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/07/13 12:38 PM

Originally Posted By: rrb6699 (RayRay)
no i was unaware of the Alley Katz one. I'm going to the one in Ocala FL. it is next week. i was wrong about the date when i posted it. looking forward to going. I will see if he's there.
Any suggestions on what i should try and stuff like that? I am looking at the IQ Tour Pearl, the IQ Tour and maybe the new stuff being announced.
tell me, how do they do the ball layouts for these matchmakers so i know what i'm throwing?
rr

Sorry to hijack the thread but just a quick answer and I will get back on topic, promise!

They are drilled pin up above the bridge and cg in the center of the palm. They have a few different lengths in each weight, S, M, L, XL so you should be able to find something reasonably close.

Try everything, thats one thing most people don't do and they are wasting money. Most people grab one ball and will throw it the entire session unless we (as staffers) tell them to try this ball.

Go in expecting to throw everything and get an idea of what they all do, thats what you are going for after all!

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/07/13 04:43 PM

Pretty quick reply.

Storm Technical Staff <[email protected]>

1:30 PM (2 hours ago)

to rcschott

"Hi Rick,

Definitely a good idea and I will pass it along to the design team.

Thank you,"

If it gets made and they say something to me, I will give credit where it is due.

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/07/13 08:58 PM

hey fin,
i see you are in my old stomping grounds in va bch. not knowing your specs how do you have that ball layout? i'm torn between the IQ tour solid and IQ tour pro. the matchmaker clinic may give me an idea knowing your layout vs. what i throw there. most likely they will be on a tophat 39' pattern that day after talking to the lane man unless the proshop or storm requests differently.
glad that ball is so good for [email protected]!

rr

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/08/13 12:21 AM

Had a great look with the IQ Tour Edition on the Earl Anthony pattern in my PBAX league tonight. Rolled an 888 series (4 games), and won the last high game pot with a 258. I started the first game with my Ascent Pearl standing 14, looking 4. Once the oil pushed down the lane a bit, I switched to the IQ Tour, bumped in 1-1/2 boards with my feed, and enjoyed the best ball reaction to date in this PBAX league on Brunswick Pro Anvilane. That's two of three major tests passed for the IQ Tour Edition. Next is the over-under top hat.

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/08/13 02:26 PM

RayRay, this won't make your choice between the IQ Tour Edition and IQ Tour Pearl any easier. But, it was interesting that another lefty was rolling the IQ Tour Pearl on the pair right next to me, and we both finished with exactly 888 for series. He would have won the last high game pot with a 250, if not for my 258. Bottom line is I don't think you can go wrong with either ball. Just depends which reaction you prefer and which ball matches up better to the expected lane conditions relative to the other balls in your arsenal.

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/18/13 09:46 AM

Joe. Click and scroll down. When you see it...

http://hi-sp.co.jp/ball/detail/october13.html

Oh I'll save you a trip.

I don't know for sure, but I'm hearing we will see it around December.

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/18/13 11:11 AM

Hmmm, very interesting. Not an international release, is it?

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/18/13 11:13 AM

Not yet. I've heard we will see it around December here in the States but that's just rumor and innuendo.

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/18/13 11:48 AM

Joe. Click and scroll down. When you see it...
http://hi-sp.co.jp/ball/detail/october13.html

Very cool! Funny that we were just talking about an IQ Tour hybrid. I liked the comparison video, too, even without reading or speaking Japanese.

Btw, was that an original RotoGrip Cell Nucleus core I saw on the other ball on that page? A MicroBite HyperCell? Hmmm...(thoughts racing)...

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/18/13 12:41 PM

Let's hope we at least get the Hybrid IQ. That Cell, I like but I don't expect we'll see it frown We can never have nice things, LOL.

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/20/13 09:43 PM

This weekend, I had a chance to test the IQ Tour Edition on the over-under, top-hat-style THS condition at a local bowling center. Normally, my options on this shot are to move out with a weaker ball, or in with a stronger ball. The IQ Tour offered a third option...move in with my feet, and out with my target. This ensured the ball would hit the bumper outside, and with its early, arcing, and continuous roll, it smoothed out the trajectory for my near misses, improving both my pocket and carry percentage. This ball hits the pocket so hard, I am getting used to seeing it exit the lane around the 9 pin (lefty).

For the three tests I had in mind for the IQ Tour Edition, I give it three thumbs up! It's definitely a keeper.

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/21/13 07:38 AM

Kind of interesting, how hard these hit and work through the pocket despite the relatively lower diff.

I think I pick up my IQTP this afternoon.

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/21/13 12:02 PM

Joe, I get pretty much the same results with mine- if I get it out a little early, it doesn't automatically jump through the nose, but like yours, does finish behind the 9 a lot. I think the lower diff helps it to retain a little more energy, as it's not necessarily rolling over a dry part of the shell each time. Funny how a move to a little lower tech has been so successful for them.

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/21/13 09:18 PM

gawd,

now i see 2 balls i need to get. just as i was settling in on a couple i may be trying soon. Wow a Hypercell? I'm interested!

i really like the look of that IQ Tour Pearl. How do you guys have yours set up?

RR

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/22/13 06:46 AM

RayRay, I standardized my layout a while back. When I want a different ball reaction, I change balls. So, my IQ Tour Edition (solid) is setup the same as my other equipment, Pin 3-3/8 from PAP x Pin 6-3/4 from center of thumbhole. In dual angle terms, that translates to 97-1/2 degrees Drilling Angle, 3-3/8 Pin to PAP, 41 degrees Angle to VAL.

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/22/13 10:22 AM

A video for y'all. Seems off-topic and for the most part it IS, but there's a nice bit about COR (something we talked about in a previous thread) and more importantly, WHAT'S THAT ON THE RACK AT 1:08??? smile

I picked up Goldie yesterday and got a chance to roll some frames with it last night after league. Because it seems to overlap with a lot of my other equipment, I just gave it to my pro shop operator and asked him to use his judgement and lay it out however he likes. He felt my arsenal was lacking much in the way of longer pin-to-pap layouts so he went that way (I'll have to get the dual-angle measurements from him). What I know so far is, I THINK it's 5 1/4 pin-to-pap, no balance hole.

I also picked up my Bandit last night, which gave me another ball with a substantially similar cover to compare with. Roto calls the coverstock "Inception" but in my opinion it's R2S all day... I wonder how many people wishing for a new Reign slept on this ball? By the way we were going for 50x3 3/8x35 to complement the Berserk... I think he dropped it down slightly to avoid partially drilling the pin but it's close... no hole as yet.

Anyways, the IQ. So far, I LOVE it. The things that hit me right away were the clean cover which allowed me to play fairly far right if I wanted (same goes for the Bandit), the SOUND of the strikes (LOUD!) and the free-revving nature of the C3 Centripetal core. It just makes the ball super-fun to throw, I had a bunch of shots where the ball worked through the pocket and just ran over the 8 pin (not ideal ball path, but fun to watch!!!). The ball made me feel more like a power-player than a low-end tweener. Where the ball really differed from the Bandit was when I tried to move inside. For the IQ it was no problem generating plenty of angle, but the Bandit with it's higher RG core tends to lope, which when played inside translated to "labor". Both balls have a spot in my arsenal... the Bandit seems to hold it's line a little better when played along the oil line (that "lope" again) while the IQ Tour Pearl is more versatile, and for me a little bit more fun to roll.

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/22/13 05:41 PM

joe,

so all your balls are drilled with the same drill val and 3-3/8 in pin to pap? I had thought about approaching things the same way but have yet to identify my sweet spots like you. I think my benchmark sums are around 85. your ratio of sums is about 2.38 to 1 (rounded).

were these close to your calculated benchmark sums or did you have to tweak them?

rr

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/22/13 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: rrb6699 (RayRay)
joe,

so all your balls are drilled with the same drill val and 3-3/8 in pin to pap? I had thought about approaching things the same way but have yet to identify my sweet spots like you. I think my benchmark sums are around 85. your ratio of sums is about 2.38 to 1 (rounded).

were these close to your calculated benchmark sums or did you have to tweak them?

rr

All of my equipment except for my spare ball is drilled the same. After years of experimenting, I now only use Dual Angle as a coordinate system. Understanding that the distance from Pin to PAP (leverage) and from Pin to center of thumbhole (differential) are what's most important in determining a drilled ball's reaction, I set myself free from all of that other "stuff" when I standardized on the strongest layout possible (without a balance hole). If I want a different ball reaction, I start with a ball that has different core/cover specs, or add a balance hole, or adjust the surface.

But, if somebody was looking for a place to start with layouts, I would recommend my Universal Benchmark Layout.
http://www.bowlingcommunity.com/b/ubbthr...html#Post179550

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/25/13 08:28 PM

Got some practice in with the IQTP today. Video shows a bunch of shots with that ball plus a few shots with my Storm Reign Supreme (MOtion Hole, polished) and Roto Grip Bandit, 1500/polished. Fresh Great Wall.

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/26/13 10:41 AM

Nice, Rick. Lots of strikes from different angles with the IQ Tour Pearl. I wonder what difference you might have seen with the IQ Tour Edition (solid).

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 10/26/13 12:24 PM

Nice, Rick. Lots of strikes from different angles with the IQ Tour Pearl. I wonder what difference you might have seen with the IQ Tour Edition (solid).

I have to assume it would be smoother, like the Reign Supreme shots were but more so. I have to admit that the fresh THS I was bowling on was a "cake wall", pretty sure my practice session with all three balls was close to 250 average with a 279 high game (stupid ringing ten). Not trying to brag AT ALL, just saying that if you knew where to stand and target you were rewarded for pretty much anything close, and carry was quite good too. As a pattern got more and more challenging I'd be much more likely to opt for something more like the original IQ Tour.

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 11/08/13 04:16 PM

Btw, was that an original RotoGrip Cell Nucleus core I saw on the other ball on that page? A MicroBite HyperCell? Hmmm...(thoughts racing)...

Here ya go, Joe. http://www.rotogrip.com/balls/hyper-cell

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 11/08/13 04:26 PM

Here ya go, Joe. http://www.rotogrip.com/balls/hyper-cell

O M G. I think I just heard angels singing. angel

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 11/09/13 12:30 AM

wow, is it possible i may get a taste of the old cells?? what would be the best layout for myself (i'm not going to hold anyone to this btw) to get the strongest layout for the ball. my specs are below but do not have rev rate. i think a little speed dominant. how is the finish on these too oob?
i did re-measure my pap and it is the same over but 3/8ths inch up now when i measured it this time.
i'd just like to get the ball set up to cover the most boards possible and adjust the surface from there to change the length.

thanks guys,

rr

Re: IQ Tour Edition - 11/09/13 04:43 AM

Quote:
what would be the strongest layout for the ball? i'd just like to get the ball set up to cover the most boards possible.

Dual thumb, but note that you will need a ball with a long Pin to CG, preferably inline. To maximize the effect, place the Pin 3-3/8 from your PAP, and the thumb hole and dual thumb hole 6-3/4 from the Pin. Before drilling anything, I would suggest get all your grip/delivery specs together and find a local pro shop with Blueprint software to simulate the layout on a ball with comparable core specs to make sure it is flare safe for you.