Storm Reign Of Power

Posted by: Deano79

Storm Reign Of Power - 04/16/13 02:18 PM

I recently won a competition and now own a reign of power. I was wondering what people think of the ball and if it would suit me?
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: Storm Reign Of Power - 04/16/13 03:42 PM

Its a good ball for sure, as far as if it will suit you that will depend on your game and what conditions you plan to use the ball on.
Posted by: 56bird

Re: Storm Reign Of Power - 04/16/13 04:09 PM

It should slot somewhere between your Shooting Star and Defiant in terms of overall hook. The ROP is a higher RG, med-high diff ball, so core-wise it's going to want to go long, saving energy for the back end, and hook fairly hard when it makes it's move. Just don't be afraid to manipulate the cover to get it to do what you want, OOB finish is 1000 Abralon which is on the aggressive side, and the PFT cover is pretty aggressive too.

Re: Storm Reign Of Power - 04/16/13 05:16 PM

That's what I want, something between my shooting star and defiant smile
Posted by: Kitten Latch

Re: Storm Reign Of Power - 04/16/13 08:53 PM

What Rick said is important. The OOB surface being at 1000 Abralon affects the motion so much. If you find it reacting too early for you, don't be afraid to bring the surface up. Not to mention what I saw in the IQ (the first ball to use the PFT cover) was very similar to the Invasion, another notoriously early bowling ball.

Re: Storm Reign Of Power - 04/17/13 06:19 AM

I appreciate your advice but if I may ask about changing the surface. I have never changed a surface of any balls I own. What would you recommend. I don't get much revs on the ball that's why I have strong balls. I bowl in 2 leagues and they are pretty dry lanes. I also bowl in a travelling league once a month at different centres and the lanes tend to be medium oil.
Posted by: 56bird

Re: Storm Reign Of Power - 04/17/13 09:01 AM

If you feel that the ball is hooking at your feet, you could take it to your pro shop and ask them to spin it up and take it to 4000 abralon. If it's STILL hooking earlier than you like, you could ask the pro shop to do "1500 grit polished" which is another common Storm/Roto OOB finish. You may like it at the OOB though, impossible to say until you've tried it. I don't mean to say that you will necessarily not like the ball at out of box AT ALL, just don't be afraid to tweak it to your needs.

There's a Storm maintenance poster that explains how they go about returning a ball to OOB here... http://www.stormbowling.com/docs/maintenance_poster.pdf

Also, a video that pertains to the old Storm Reign Supreme. It had the same core as the new ROP, so some of the comments they make apply.

Re: Storm Reign Of Power - 04/17/13 10:41 AM

I will go see my local pro shop and get the ball drilled and see how it is then if needed I will get the surface changed. Cheers guys
Posted by: Fin09

Re: Storm Reign Of Power - 04/17/13 05:31 PM

I just had one drilled, too, and will report on it after trying it tonight. I'm thinking it's going to be too much surface for league, but you never know.

Re: Storm Reign Of Power - 04/17/13 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Fin09
I just had one drilled, too, and will report on it after trying it tonight. I'm thinking it's going to be too much surface for league, but you never know.

Mine rolls really well on both the THS and sport with the layout I am using.

For reference, for those that care about layouts, its 35x3.25x30

Re: Storm Reign Of Power - 04/17/13 06:16 PM

I went with a 4 x 4 x 1 drilling. Not sure what that translates to on a dual angle. Looks like a taller drill angle with a midrange Val angle.

Re: Storm Reign Of Power - 04/19/13 06:15 PM

Threw my Reign of Power 2 balls in practice, it checked up REALLY early, put it away. I have no business throwing a 1000 grit ball on 2nd shift league conditions, but I wanted to see what it would do. I got my answer. It will be with me for tournaments, especially nationals, but not at league anymore.

Re: Storm Reign Of Power - 04/27/13 01:12 AM

Broke down tonight and polished my Reign of Power. Even if I end up taking some of the shine back off, it won't go all the way back to 1000, that's for sure. Now I just have to wait until I and throw it.

Re: Storm Reign Of Power - 05/03/13 10:10 AM

Got the chance to throw the shined up Reign of Power last night. Second shift league, 4 lefties on the pair, including myself. Ball is drilled 4x4x1 with a small hole on the val, a couple of inches below my PAP.
Got lined up pretty quickly in practice, standing 26, hitting 13 at the arrows, going out to about 8. Ball revved up nice, made a nice pronounced move, and faced up really well. Went front 8 first game, hit a little transition, left a 3-9,picked it up, moved a board to my left, then went to the fill ball where I left a solid 7 for 277. Ended up moving a little further left, took a piece of tape out of the thumb, and shot 258 the 2nd game. Had to chase the oil back in a little the third game, as carry started to get squirrelly, but threw the last 4 for 223, so 758 first night out.
With the OOB 1000 finish, this shell is really aggressive. I put some Storm Step 2 polish on it to get it to read the friction correctly, and it did just that on the 41' THS pattern. I was a little hesitant to shine it, as I was hoping to use it at nationals with the OOB finish, but the only time I can get use out of that much surface is on a long, heavy pattern such as the Shark, and the patterns out there aren't quite that long. Plus, I'm bringing my Sync in case I need an aggressive shell. This one will fit in nicely.

Re: Storm Reign Of Power - 05/03/13 12:44 PM

Good to hear!

Hoping to get my video stuff up soon so you guys can see what the ball looks like on the lanes (for those that don't have it) but I think I might do the Lights Out review first being that we are getting close to its public release.

Glad you liked the ROP after you shined it up a little.