Storm Sync Video Ball Review

Posted by: sk8shorty01

Storm Sync Video Ball Review - 04/11/13 08:18 AM

Here you go, enjoy!

Posted by: 56bird

Re: Storm Sync Video Ball Review - 04/11/13 09:31 AM

Cool video. Interesting the ball gets down the lane so well given the low RG.

Remember a lot of us don't really speak "dual-angle", I had to google the layout to decide what your I thought your intent was with the layout. Maybe a quick one-line description would be helpful, i.e. "I chose this layout to show the ball's potential with a medium roll time, large track flare, and medium transition time." (Iike I say, I don't really speak "dual-angle", LOL, I'm sure you could explain this better). I'm not suggesting a whole seminar on the dual-angle method, just a quick word on what you expect from the layout given your ball speed, rev rate, and track.

Re: Storm Sync Video Ball Review - 04/11/13 09:35 AM

Thanks for the idea, I will definitely try to incorporate that into my future reviews.

Maybe what I will do is add a text portion under the video (similar to the reviews MattyG posts here) so that I can give more information than what I can do in the short amount of time I have to talk.

Good idea! I like it!
Posted by: mmalsed

Re: Storm Sync Video Ball Review - 04/11/13 02:52 PM

You know, Sk8, that could be a great (I mean GREAT) video - explanation (in layman's terms) of dual-angle and a translation into "traditional" terms so that we non-bowling-geeks (well, semi-geeks) can transition our brains. I bet you'd get a TON of views. . . it would be valuable.

Re: Storm Sync Video Ball Review - 04/11/13 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: mmalsed
You know, Sk8, that could be a great (I mean GREAT) video - explanation (in layman's terms) of dual-angle and a translation into "traditional" terms so that we non-bowling-geeks (well, semi-geeks) can transition our brains. I bet you'd get a TON of views. . . it would be valuable.

I actually already captured all the video footage to do something like this I have just been bogged down with "real work" and then the ball review stuff the last couple weeks.

First off, I am working on a Pro Shop Series were I talk about some stuff a pro shop might now that most average bowlers might not understand but I can't come up with a catchy name for the series. Any thoughts on a name anyone?

Thanks for the idea of the "Dual Angle" video, I am definitely going to do it now. I have had the footage for weeks but didn't work on it because I wasn't sure it would "sell" like I want my videos to "sell" so I have put it off so far.
Posted by: mmalsed

Re: Storm Sync Video Ball Review - 04/11/13 04:03 PM

I have a feeling it would get referred to, at least from here quite a bit! smile

Re: Storm Sync Video Ball Review - 04/12/13 08:42 AM

Originally Posted By: mmalsed
I have a feeling it would get referred to, at least from here quite a bit! smile

I will start working on it shortly!

I have to get my second episode of "Language of the Pins" wrapped up first, I am about 3/4 of the way done with it so might as well finish it up. This one will be a little longer than the last.

For a name on the "pro shop" series what about "Between the Lines" and kind of play off the scribe lines on the bowling ball for drilling?

Re: Storm Sync Video Ball Review - 04/12/13 09:20 AM

"Between The Lines- Dual-Angle Made Easy" or somesuch.

Don't forget that ROP review smile

Re: Storm Sync Video Ball Review - 04/12/13 10:22 AM

Originally Posted By: RickSchott
"Between The Lines- Dual-Angle Made Easy" or somesuch.
Don't forget that ROP review smile

The "Between the Lines" would be the name of the series, then each episode would have its own name attached to the end of it, similar to how a series on TV would have.

So for that episode it would be something like you mentioned, later I might break down cores and how they drive a bowling balls motion and that would be "Between the Lines - Understanding Cores" or whatever, something like that.

Sound good?

As far as the ROP, I am drilling mine up tonight. I wanted to drill it a few weeks ago but I have been so busy in the shop I haven't had a chance. I have thrown them at our demo's already so I have a good idea what I want the ball to do.

Re: Storm Sync Video Ball Review - 04/12/13 10:47 AM

Right on. And being busy in the shop, that's a good thing smile

Re: Storm Sync Video Ball Review - 04/12/13 11:21 AM

Its definitely a good thing!

At some point I would love to actually drill myself some stuff though lol, kind of missing it haha!
Posted by: B-Hammer

Re: Storm Sync Video Ball Review - 04/12/13 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01

As far as the ROP, I am drilling mine up tonight.

Do you have a layout picked out yet? That is one of the balls I was thinking of getting and doing the MoHole on, wouldn't mind having someone else as the guinea pig though.

Re: Storm Sync Video Ball Review - 04/12/13 12:57 PM

I was considering one of my "Between the Lines" episodes would be a demonstration of how the "MoHole" affects ball motion so maybe you will get lucky haha smile

Did you have a particular layout in mind?

I am planning on drilling this ball to begin transition early and then slowly burn off energy from there. I don't have a lot that doesn't get flippy and I think this will be a great piece to get into a roll early and just make its way to the pocket nice and smooth. I am going to have to look at the pin distance and top weight before I come up with exact angles though.
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: Storm Sync Video Ball Review - 04/15/13 02:10 PM

One of the things that I have seen on Buddies is that they will show a pic of the layout with a brief explanation of the drilling. Then show the vid. My understanding of drilling is fairly old school. Pin up, pin down, pin kicked out, etc...Having the Pro Shop vid would be great as a secondary vid but having a brief pic of the ball layout with the pen marks on it would be nice when you are talking about the drill.

0:16 into the vid.

Re: Storm Sync Video Ball Review - 04/15/13 02:58 PM

I can definitely add something like that.

For me, the issue with the picture (even though I do plan to add them in the future) is that at times it can give people a little bit of misleading information based on their assumption of what the ball will do based on where the pin is in relation to the fingers, etc.

If I lay a ball out (using this video as a reference) at 45x4.5x45 and you lay a ball out at the same numbers the pin location will, most likely, be in a completely different spot. Mine is PIN up, yours might be PIN down but we can still both expect the same general ball roll characteristics because of the dual angle layout being the same. Because the core is tumbling the same way around my PAP as it would be yours, we can expect similar results. By going strictly off of where the pin is in relation to the fingers you can't really predict where the core will be as it rotates on the lane.

Thanks for the input and I will be adding the layout pictures in the future, just wanted to make sure that I make it clear that the numbers are how the ball is laid out, the relation of the markings on the ball to my grip line adds little value as you walk into a shop if you want a very precise ball roll.

Appreciate the input!