Brunswick NEXXXUS

Posted by: charliexx

Brunswick NEXXXUS - 06/23/12 08:34 AM

Anybody excited about this? any insigths idea how this would perform than the Nexxus (2X only)

http://www.bowlwithbrunswick.com/balls/detail/nexxxus-f-ps/
Posted by: Joe Bowler

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 06/23/12 10:31 AM

I am excited that Brunswick gives the ball an off-the-chart angular rating. I will be anxious to see the ball reviewed by Bowling This Month, along with some comparison video. I think it would be tough to beat the VersaMax for entry angle, but the pearl coverstock and asymmetric core of the Nexxxus just might do it.
Posted by: lakredrai

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 06/26/12 03:33 PM

every bruswick ball seems to roll the same, it is weird. it is like they just keep releasing the same ball and renaming it. has anyone else had this issue with brunswick or am I trippen ?

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 06/26/12 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: lakredrai
every bruswick ball seems to roll the same, it is weird. it is like they just keep releasing the same ball and renaming it. has anyone else had this issue with brunswick or am I trippen ?

You're trippin'. smile

Check this out...http://tamerbowling.com/index.php/brunswick-c-system-versa-max-bowling-ball-review/. Scroll down and look at the chart comparing recent Brunswick releases. Then watch the comparison video. Still not convinced? Grab the March 2012 issue of Bowling This Month and look at the entry angle stats for the VersaMax. Still not convinced? Watch the 2012 PBA Tournament of Champions and see what Sean Rash (also PBA Player of the Year) and Ryan Ciminelli are rolling.

Granted, it has been a loooong time since I have rolled Brunswick equipment myself, but I am becoming a believer.

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 06/26/12 07:37 PM

sounds like I should give brunswick another shot.
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 06/26/12 10:05 PM

To me Brunswick's stuff just begins to read the lane too early, with my game anyways. I have a lot of issue with it rolling out and I scored really low any time I put one of their pieces in my hand. Other bowlers might be the opposite though and find Storm/Columbia stuff to be too long and too angular.

I will just add a little bragging comment, Storm did take home 14 titles this year on the National Tour, just saying.... LOL!

Brunswick did get one though, all thanks to Rash having one of the best seasons ever for a PBA player. No doubt the equipment worked well for him or he wouldn't have made the finals in 6-7 shows this year.
Posted by: B-Hammer

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 06/27/12 01:04 AM

For a bit more length look at their DV8 stuff. The new version of the Hell Raiser looks very stormish in the reaction. They also have a hybrid cover in the dv8 line for the first time.
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 06/27/12 01:16 AM

I believe Machuga already announced that there was no Hybrid in the plans as of now for DV8, where did you see they are releasing one? If they are I just want to be sure because one of my friends throws DV8 and I just told him about the Machuga comments I read.

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 06/27/12 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
I believe Machuga already announced that there was no Hybrid in the plans as of now for DV8, where did you see they are releasing one? If they are I just want to be sure because one of my friends throws DV8 and I just told him about the Machuga comments I read.

I first saw it posted on bowling chat that the marauder was a hybrid And that's also what bowlingball-com has for it (unreliable I know) and bowling-com.

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 06/27/12 04:12 AM

Quote:
To me Brunswick's stuff just begins to read the lane too early, with my game anyways. I have a lot of issue with it rolling out and I scored really low any time I put one of their pieces in my hand. Other bowlers might be the opposite though and find Storm/Columbia stuff to be too long and too angular.

My guess is, since you are a Storm staffer, that it has been a long time since you have rolled any Brunswick equipment? I don't know exactly when things may have changed, since I had not rolled Brunswick in a long time either, but the VersaMax is a standout ball in terms of length, angularity, and backend. Bowling This Month rated it 7+ degrees of entry angle for Stroker, and even higher for Cranker.

No Storm piece I have seen reviewed comes close to that. Speaking of rollout, nothing tops Storm's Nano Pearl. That ball was lucky to get 6 games of my undivided attention before finding its way to Salvation Army. But, I do love my Storm Natural Pearl. And, I was interested in the Modern Marvel...until I read that it has trouble with carrydown. I have tried other Storm balls (ex: Virtual Energy, Tropical Storm, Polar Ice) and what characterized them the most was not length or angularity, but unpredictability.

Most bowlers would be advised not to get stuck in a one brand only rut. Unless you are getting paid to roll a certain brand, why not choose the best of breed for each ball in your arsenal? Unless the new Brunwick Nexxxus somehow tops the VersaMax, I expect it to be a Ball of the Year candidate. I can hardly wait to roll it next season, and look forward to setting a new Virtual League average record here with it. wink

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 06/27/12 10:28 AM

My Ulti Max went well last night I just had to roll and rev it a bit harder than my Vivid but the strikes it gives is like tank hitting I've always felt that as my layout is almost the same on my Vivid and Ulti Max besides the gravity hole but the Ulti Max hits stronger and less deflection than my Vivid....and by the way they are the same 15 high but the Ulti feels heavier for me I don't know why really.

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 06/27/12 11:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
Most bowlers would be advised not to get stuck in a one brand only rut. Unless you are getting paid to roll a certain brand, why not choose the best of breed for each ball in your arsenal?

My comment to that, while I don't disagree, is that I don't know if a lot of bowlers that have the knowledge or desire to research multiple brands and it's a lot easier to stay within one brand that has designed step downs with different balls and ball lines. Especially with cover technology what one brand defines as a mid level or high end may not be the same for other brands. Brunswick and Storm have much more aggressive heavy oil covers then EBI and Track for example. Also the sheer number of new releases can be daunting, BJI said there was over 120 new releases last year.

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 06/27/12 11:42 AM

Quote:
it's a lot easier to stay within one brand that has designed step downs with different balls and ball lines

Sure, if you buy all of your equipment at the same time, and do not intend to replace it any time soon. But, if you are looking to update your equipment year to year, there is no guarantee the latest, greatest ball from Brand X is going to be an improvement, or fit neatly into your arsenal.

For example, a few years ago I was rolling primarily Roto Grip equipment. I thought the Cell Pearl was the best ball ever, and naturally expected Roto to continue manufacturing it, or make a better ball. Instead, they made a different ball, perhaps better for some, but not for me. I tried a few other balls in their new lineup, with less and less success, and gradually became less enthusiastic about the brand. Ever wonder what happened to Wes Malott after his tremendous run the year he was rolling the Cell Pearl? Check out his career statistics after 2008. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wes_Malott.

I have also tried Visionary equipment (even became a test staffer), and liked a few of their pieces, but not every ball in their lineup was a star performer, either. I had a nice run last year rolling predominantly Hammer equipment. But, it had more to do with one ball, the Infection, rather than the entire brand. That ball is no longer available this year, and unfortunately, I could not find an equivalent replacement in their new lineup.

So, what's a bowler to do? I say invest a few dollars in research and get the best equipment for your game, regardless of brand.

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 07/17/12 05:22 PM

I picked up a c-system alpha max for a good price. anyone try this ball ?

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 08/13/12 05:57 AM

The first review I have seen of the Nexxxus:
http://tamerbowling.com/index.php/brunswick-nexxxus-fps-bowling-ball-review-digitrax/

Comments include:
- The Triple X is a beast and easily the best of the Nexus balls to date.
- clean look up front, a consistent read in the midlane, and a powerful move on the backend
- ...high entry angles... The Nexxxus f(P+S) blew that out of the water

Digitrax showed the tester generating 8-9 degrees of entry angle! I still want to see BTM's review, but I am getting excited about adding a Nexxxus to my arsenal.
Posted by: dgordon0408

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 08/13/12 09:53 AM

I threw the [censored] yesterday along with the hellraiser terror, and let me tell you, these balls are amazing, at the start of the shift i was playing 17 out to 10 and at the end of the shift i was playing 25 out to 12 and i couldnt stop striking, these balls hook, and the majority of it in the back, i think its the next ball ill be getting with the [censored], i also threw other companies equipment and was not impressed really, i think my fall arsenal is gonna be something like Revenge, [censored],maxxed out, marauder, versa max, victory road, and maybe another one or two

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 08/13/12 01:35 PM

Additional reviewer comments about Brunswick/Nexxxus:
"Brunswick seems to have definitively moved to balls with much more backend. This ball (Maxxed Out) and the Nexxxus f(P+S) have blown the old hook and set reputation of the Big B right out of the water."

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 08/16/12 05:55 AM

The BTM review for the Nexxxus is now available. They gave the ball a 17.5 Back End rating, and 54 Total Hook rating along with lots of positive comments. The strong pearl cover surprised the reviewers with its traction through the oil. Sounds like a fine ball, but the entry angle for Stroker on the medium pattern was 4.65, a couple of degrees less than the VersaMax (7!). So for my game, the VersaMax remains the premier butt-kicking ball for the upcoming season.
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 08/16/12 08:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
Additional reviewer comments about Brunswick/Nexxxus:
"Brunswick seems to have definitively moved to balls with much more backend. This ball (Maxxed Out) and the Nexxxus f(P+S) have blown the old hook and set reputation of the Big B right out of the water."

Old Bruns balls had a hook and set reputation. But, not this ball. The back end is very strong. I think I'll see a lot of this ball. As a Summer Ball League just ended last week at the local Bruns Center. And, talking with the Pro shop guy, 75% of the bowlers are getting this ball as their choice. I'm already seeng them in practice and can see an immediate difference between bowlers with this ball.

Bowlers who come up from behind the ball at release are experiencing the full value of the ball. Those with more of a 90 egree release are seeing the ball fail to finish, but just spin.

Just Tuesday morning, I bowled next to a 180 average stroker, and he was hitting the pocket at will. In fact, ran 10 strikes in a row for his very first time ever. As long as he held the line, his ball finished like a pro. But, the ball was not very fogiving as it seeme that 1 board left or right left him with 10 pins when light or nasty splits when it dove. Yeah, you coul say this with any ball, but in his words, he had to be more exact with the ball. I would assume a 180-190 bowler would have the same experience.

Keeping the ball for its max of 8-9 Degree entry angle will be difficult for some. Oh, that bowler shot a 267 an came back with a 147. That will be the impact on the less accurate bowlers.
Posted by: Mark B

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 08/16/12 09:47 PM

I am just finishing up a summer touch shot league and I get a ball at the end. I opted for a versa-max over the Nexxxus. I already have an original nexus and like it a lot, i dont see a reason to goto a nexxxus yet. I will say the nexus solid i have SOAKS up oil, but it comes back after I put it in my oven.

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 08/19/12 09:11 AM

Another +1 for Brunswick...

Walter Ray Williams, Jr. won his first PBA Senior Player of the Year title. While it is arguable that Walter Ray, one of the best bowlers of all time, could have won rolling marbles from Brand X, what is interesting is that he set a new average record, scoring at a record 233.41 pace for 267 games.

That is two Player of the Year titles in one year for the Big B, one for Sean Rash on the PBA tour, and one for Walter Ray on the PBA50 (Senior) tour. Lately, Brunswick is giving their fans a lot to cheer about.
Posted by: HughScot

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 10/27/12 07:25 PM

So funny that my Pro Shop does not carry Brunswick since they are made in China. I've tried a couple of their balls and liked them. And will again. Very short sighted IMO.

I was looking at the triple x until I decided it's me and not the ball.

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 10/28/12 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: HughScot
So funny that my Pro Shop does not carry Brunswick since they are made in China. I've tried a couple of their balls and liked them. And will again. Very short sighted IMO.

The balls are poured in Mexico not China, but probably the same deal to the pro-shop (not made in America).

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 10/28/12 05:10 AM

I'm loving my Triple X as we call it here during my 19 games endurance games for 2 days it was working a lot on the thick center oilling pattern we had.
Posted by: HughScot

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 10/28/12 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: B-Hammer
Originally Posted By: HughScot

The balls are poured in Mexico not China, but probably the same deal to the pro-shop (not made in America).

Right, my bad. Senior moment.
Posted by: MJA

Re: Brunswick NEXXXUS - 10/29/12 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: charliexx
I'm loving my Triple X as we call it here during my 19 games endurance games for 2 days it was working a lot on the thick center oilling pattern we had.

X2 love mine also. When the conditions are right this ball is a beast. Rolled a 299 with mine.