Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video

Posted by: sk8shorty01

Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 05/24/12 04:36 PM

Here is the second installment on my ball review Youtube Channel, this time we are looking at the Storm Crossroad.

This ball is an amazing benchmark ball for bowlers of all styles and skill levels, it blends the lane out so well it really helps the bowler to simply stay in play and leave easy spares. Enjoy, and as always if you have any ideas for the series please feel free to let me know!

Posted by: Joe Bowler

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 05/25/12 03:39 AM

Great video! The voice over is a definite plus. Concerning the balls themselves, really liked how the Modern Marvel drives through the pins. Wow!
Posted by: Rocket Jr

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 05/25/12 07:02 AM

SK8, very nice! The voice over adds a great dimension so much better then most with just music now I get a good understanding of what the ball will do. I know you are doing these by your self and as fast as you can, maybe on future ones if you could add a close up slow mo of the ball going down the lane would be great as well not necessary but would add something. I notice your hand/arm finish is very similar to mine so now the next time I get criticized for it I can say I know another great bowler that does it the same way! smile
Posted by: mmalsed

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 05/25/12 11:42 AM

Great video SK8! Thank you! Love the commentary.

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 05/25/12 03:14 PM

Rocket Jr, I assume you are talking about my hand crossing in front of my face and looping back to the right at the top of my follow through.

If you would like to see a better bowler that does the same thing, how about the best swing on the tour?

Posted by: Fin09

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 05/25/12 03:43 PM

I thought you did a great job with this- I wouldn't worry so much about slow motion, but maybe a little different angle, perhaps setting up the camera a little to the right. The ball is supposed to be the star of the show, so the more we can see the ball path, the better idea of how this ball should react for the rest of us. Great job, though!

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 05/25/12 04:50 PM

Yeah I thought I had a good angle, but that was viewing on my camera screen which isn't very big, once I got home I realized the angle wasn't perfect but I already had quite a bit of footage and didn't really want to scrap it all and drive the 35-40 minutes back to the center.

As soon as the next couple are done the camera angle will switch ad we can get a better view of the reaction.
Posted by: Joe Bowler

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 06/06/12 01:27 PM

I liked this comparison ball review, too. Not many bells and whistles, but from a lefty's perspective...

Both videos make me want to buy a Modern Marvel. And, it is already 4000 Abralon!
Posted by: VFF57

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 06/06/12 07:06 PM

I'm torn between the Crossroad and the Frantic. I can get either one including the VG Nano at cost in one of my summer leagues (ProAm). The Nano is out of the decision because of lack of oil. The Frantic seems to be more of a skid/flip type ball compared to the Crossroad which appears to pick-up in the mid-lane.

I bowl down-and-in mostly on a top-hat <-> lightly feathered Xmas tree pattern during the winter. I think the Crossroad would play better up the 7-8 board on that shot. The Frantic might be a good match for swinging out through the oil somewhat especially with a strong drill.

sk8, nice video. Any thoughts on my opinion? -thanks.

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 06/09/12 01:30 AM

VFF,

I really think either ball would be a good fit for you, but I think the Crossroad is a better ball overall. It is definitely a more versatile piece, and one of the best balls I have ever thrown in my opinion.

The Frantic is a very good ball but I have noticed at times it tends to have trouble if there is a lack of friction, on heavier conditions the ball blows through the break point and becomes a little more difficult to use. Obviously it is not built for heavy oil but just a heads up, on the right condition it is a phenomenal ball, I just think the Crossroad is "the ball" because of how well it reads every condition.

I have thrown it on Cheetah and Shark back to back weeks, same ball with the same surface and it worked great on both. Not many pieces of equipment out there that can handle both extremes that well.

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 06/09/12 01:31 AM

I also wanted to point out to those that are interested, the Manic review should be done very soon. I started putting all the footage together so I hope to have it complete by this weekend and rendered out no later than monday night.

Here's hoping!

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 06/09/12 09:29 AM

Quote:
The Frantic is a very good ball but I have noticed at times it tends to have trouble if there is a lack of friction, on heavier conditions the ball blows through the break point and becomes a little more difficult to use.

I think I know exactly what you mean. My Morich Aggressive Motion is a good ball, but scoots through the break point when there's oil in the wrong places like at the end of the pattern. It has its place which is fresh lighter conditions with clean backends.

I'm looking for a more versatile ball which will stay in my bag at all times. Based on your description I'm changing my order next week to the Crossroad.

Thanks sk8!

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 06/09/12 10:10 AM

Lol thanks SK, now I am not sure which ball I want, Cross road interest me a lot, but watching dad and his Frantic gets me thinking that I don't really have a ball that snaps like that and it could come in handy.

But your description of how the Cross road handles the sport patterns gets me leaning back towards it since I mainly bowl sport shots in league, tournaments, and travel league.

Right now Its my nano for the extreme heavy unless its short, Then Theory for heavy, and my faithful beat up but still scoring heat for bench mark and THS. I do need an in between though like I said I can make my heat work on conditions that are to light for my Theory or Nano but sometimes they are a bit heavy for the heat so until the line breaks down a bit I leave 7's or 10's often. looking forward to the Manic review, oh wait that means another choice! lol
Posted by: cgrimes

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 06/09/12 10:37 AM

Rocket, I know you talk about your Heat a lot. Do you think it would be a good ball for me? I'm also looking at the Heat orange/purple, not just the hybrid.

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 06/09/12 10:58 AM

CG, not knowing your game or style hard to say,by looking at your equipment listed it definetly would be a step up. I have the Black silver ,here is what I can tell you about it. It plays well on every house shot I have played on, it is very controllable but still bends with the best of them,on the right conditions (THS) it reads the lanes well not to early not to late. Although it isn't designed for heavier oil patterns I have had success using it with the proper line. Mine has at least 2000 games on it by now with I believe one surface finish. Every time I consider retiring it I throw a big game with it so it stays in my bag. My first 800 series was with it on a sport pattern in travel league . My dad calls it Herbie, like Herbie the love bug, he says the ball is alive and likes me so it works hard for me lol. Silliness aside,as you can tell I think its a great ball, but practice and good coaching can make any ball better. I am sure Sk can guide you down the ball selection path.

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 06/09/12 11:01 AM

Well, I throw around 12-13mph, high revs(two hander) and on a medium-light oil pattern.

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 06/09/12 11:24 AM

Cg, I am not sure how it would work for you with your style on those conditions may be to strong believe it or not. If you are creating the revs like most of the two handed bowlers I know at that speed would probably hook off the lane unless you play deep inside and got it down the lane. But I am no expert when it comes to your style. I am a medium Rev stroker with average ball speed of 16 MPH. ball path similar to Chris Barnes on most patterns shame not same form or skill lol. Hopefully someone else will chime in who knows a thing or two about your style of play I would hate to steer you wrong since bowling balls aren't cheap.
Posted by: 10PinGaloot

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 06/09/12 11:32 AM

I hate to break up your little tete a tete here Chris and Jordan, but just wanted to say that Mike's video has me pretty convinced that my next ball should be a Crossroad. That would be my first Storm.

BTW Cg and Rk Jr - I'm a medium rev cranker smile . Hey, I haven't posted a video here, so I can say that.... I crank for an old man, anyway.

BTW - great video, once again, Coach Bauer!

Okay, now you two can resume....

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 06/09/12 11:54 AM

I don't know. I'll probably just get whatever my Pro Shop says I should get. Until my speed increases, I can't get many balls that I want.

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 06/09/12 01:15 PM

If you look at this comparison video of the Frantic vs the Crossroad you'll see the Frantic is more snappy off the friction:

The Crossroad looks much smoother and controllable/dependable. I would like to have both..lol, but as I mentioned I'm going with Crossroad.

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 06/09/12 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: 10PinGaloot
I hate to break up your little tete a tete here Chris and Jordan, but just wanted to say that Mike's video has me pretty convinced that my next ball should be a Crossroad. That would be my first Storm.

BTW Cg and Rk Jr - I'm a medium rev cranker smile . Hey, I haven't posted a video here, so I can say that.... I crank for an old man, anyway.

BTW - great video, once again, Coach Bauer!

Okay, now you two can resume....

Lol, 10 pin I will tell you this much it wont be your last Storm you buy. The only storm ball I have ever seemed that didnt live up to its hype and maybe because the conditions they were being used on weren't right for it was the Nano pearl. I have the Nano solid and its killer but every bowler I know that has or had the pearl bagged it or sold it, again maybe wrong ball for the conditions. as mentioned above my heat will not die not matter how much I abuse it.
Posted by: NaSTI

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 06/11/12 07:32 AM

^^Wow, I didnt know I was the only one that hated the Nano Pearl. I didnt like it myself. I even had it plugged and redrilled but still didnt live up to the Hype as its big brother. I felt it was very condition specific and I ended up selling it and got a Vivid instead. Between all of my Storm balls, Nano Pearl, Vivid, Frantic and my trusty old Triple X Factor, the Nano Pearl was the only ball I didnt like. Ive been experimenting with surface changes thx to Joe Bowler, and found that I reeeeally like the 500/1000/2000/4000 + Rough Buff Polish combination.
Posted by: Fin09

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 06/11/12 11:19 AM

I haven't gotten much use out of my nano pearl either. I demo'd one at the storm open house around here awhile back, and liked the one I threw. I even had it drilled like a demo ball- pin and mb on grip line. If I bowl at the center where I demo'd it, I'll probably love it, but I'm not bowling there too much. When I throw it well, though, it hits like a truck. Probably just need to get used to it a little.

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 06/13/12 01:25 AM

Just so you all are aware, the Manic review is in its final render stage and should be ready some time tomorrow. I am just wrapping it up now so hopefully I can get it rendered and uploaded no later than tomorrow night.

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 06/13/12 02:54 AM

Ooh yes very anxious on how you like it. If so are you able to throw the Frantic as well, kinda like how you compared the VR, CR and Marvel in the same vid. Since many of us here like the Frantic, and considering the Manic is more like a dull version of it, it would make a great comparo.

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 06/13/12 10:24 PM

The manic video is processing now. I was not able to include the Frantic in the Manic review (It was in the pro shop getting work done) but I will include the Manic in my Frantic review so you can see the similarities.

The Frantic is definitely more snappy and gets down the lane further, the Manic reads the mid lane really well though.

I am really surprised how much I am liking this ball. It really reads the lanes well, I had it drilled for Shark but it is really reading most THS patterns well too.

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 06/14/12 04:53 AM

So would you say the Manic should be used first, then when the lanes are breaking down one can use the Frantic since it goes a bit longer?

Re: Storm Crossroad Ball Review Video - 06/14/12 03:20 PM

Correct.

And just so you guys are aware, sorry this is taking longer than expected but I have had problems with the final video twice now. Both times I found errors in the video that I didn't notice originally so I have to re-render.

Just started to render the video out so in two hours it will begin processing through youtube and will be posted up after that finishes.