forum league??

Posted by: tbill

forum league?? - 12/12/09 10:50 AM

dennis said something about all of us bowling together and what fun it would be, it got me thinking, why not start a league on the forum?

we all know who posts regularly on the league scores thread, so why not build/pick some teams, and at the end of every week add scores and see who's team gets the win?

what do you think?
Posted by: VampyreBowler

Re: forum league?? - 12/12/09 11:15 AM

that would be interesting......pick someone who we could email score to to put them together/verify.....though for some of us that bowl multiple nights a week we would have to select one night and use that for the duration.
Posted by: who's that

Re: forum league?? - 12/12/09 11:29 AM

That sounds like fun. How would we go about picking teams? And don't you think it should be broken down my average?

Re: forum league?? - 12/12/09 03:29 PM

ya, it could be just like a regular league, handicap and all, but at the same return, it'd have to be kept simple, so as not to create too much work to keep it going. i guess if need be, we could check the USBC site, use last years book avg, then calculate handicap, then roll with it?

to make teams, we could take all the avg's and distribute people to the teams fairly, as in, each team gets players with low/mid/high avg's to make it a level field, rather than have a team with 220 bowlers thru the whole team, and even to that extent, we could then bowl 'head to head' with each other, so each week close avg bowlers can bs each other about the week they had.

only prize would be bragging rights.

i think it'd be fun, what do you think?

Re: forum league?? - 12/12/09 03:50 PM

I'm game
Posted by: TheDemolitionMan

Re: forum league?? - 12/12/09 04:58 PM

Sounds fun. I'm game as well.

If you're gonna go with handicap in should be 90% of 200. And bowlers should use their highest average in whichever league they're or from last year.

I'd definately start it after the second half of the fall season starts. Only because there may things like my league where after next week, we don't bowl in league until after New Years.

Re: forum league?? - 12/12/09 05:05 PM

ya, just something else to work around, as i'm in two leagues myself. my thursday league starts up again first week of jan.
Posted by: cgeorg

Re: forum league?? - 12/12/09 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: TheDemolitionMan
If you're gonna go with handicap in should be 90% of 200.

There are a lot of people here that average well over 200 - that puts the sub-200 bowlers at more of a disadvantage. I'd do handicap based on a percentage of the difference between the 2 teams' averages. If there was head-to-head, handicap could be based on the difference between the 2 bowlers' averages.
Posted by: Richie V.

Re: forum league?? - 12/12/09 05:35 PM

I like the concept, but only if it can be done like a real league (one of the participants would have to have secretary software, of course).
Posted by: 10PinGaloot

Re: forum league?? - 12/12/09 05:45 PM

I'm not a usbc member, but I'd like to join in. I would throw 3 games of Helicopter each week, therby obviating the need for two lanes or varying oil conditions.
Posted by: Jay R.

Re: forum league?? - 12/12/09 06:53 PM

Sounds pretty cool. Not sure how it would all be kept track of but I'm sure someone someone has ideas for that. I would do it if book averages won't be used. I currently average 25 pins less than what I did last year so I would be at quite a disadvantage.
Posted by: Rocket

Re: forum league?? - 12/12/09 09:32 PM

Sounds great, but I bowl at an old house not sure how I could get evidence of my scores
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: forum league?? - 12/12/09 10:20 PM

Interesting, isn't there some virtual bowling techniques that could be employed?

Spareme, you can't bowl with a helicoptor. You'll screw up my oil!
Posted by: beefers1

Re: forum league?? - 12/12/09 10:33 PM

Great idea. But the CTF website doesn't have a player tracker so I'm not sure how that'll work.
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: forum league?? - 12/12/09 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Amateur
Sounds pretty cool. Not sure how it would all be kept track of but I'm sure someone someone has ideas for that. I would do it if book averages won't be used. I currently average 25 pins less than what I did last year so I would be at quite a disadvantage.

It would have to be done like most regular leagues. Use the book average for the first so many games, then establish a real average at that point like normal.
Posted by: Joe Bowler

Re: forum league?? - 12/12/09 11:28 PM

Sounds like fun, if the details can be worked out.
Posted by: rebarb

Re: forum league?? - 12/13/09 12:12 AM

I dont post much but this sounds like a good idea. I might embarrass myself with my scores..but im game. thumbsup

Re: forum league?? - 12/13/09 03:20 AM

That's cool Cal. I can deal with the fact that I won't do very well for a few weeks(my league used the first 3), but hopefully my team wouldn't mind!

I call Sk8shorty laugh

Re: forum league?? - 12/13/09 09:38 AM

Spareme, you can't bowl with a helicoptor. You'll screw up my oil!

how would you even get it in the building? haha

ok, so who has an idea how to run this? and how do we make a 'sign up' sheet?

Re: forum league?? - 12/13/09 10:13 AM

As for team selection, I would say let the top ten all time posters form teams and choose up each in whatever way they want.

I would suggest that if Coach Jim has a record of his last year in league play, we let him use that for his scores.

Re: forum league?? - 12/13/09 10:45 AM

Not too fond of the top ten all time posters picking. I'm one and never liked picking for teams.

This would be a perfect time to use a draft system. Once we know everyone that wants to be in it, we find out yearbook averages for everyone that does have one. Decide on number of bowlers on a team so we know the number of teams. The people with the highest X (based on number of teams) averages pick. To try to keep the teams a bit even. Break the averages down into tiers. The highest averages are top tier. They would then choose from the second tier, and the third tier and so on until everyone is picked. Maybe bowl for a so many weeks or months and then re-draft.

That's just a suggestion but I think it would work out pretty well. I'd like to see some real leagues around me give it a try.

For sign up, maybe a thread with just a one word or sentence response would work. Maybe someone could put together a website for the league.

Re: forum league?? - 12/13/09 10:57 AM

cal, that's exactly what i had in mind for this, other than the 'extra' website. just didn't want to turn it into a 'job' for someone, unless someone is willing to spend the extra time to map it out proffessional like.....

Re: forum league?? - 12/13/09 11:07 AM

Well the site would be only if someone wanted to do it. Other than that just use a thread.

Re: forum league?? - 12/13/09 11:29 AM

Would a copy of score sheet, (Paper) suffice to join the league? Talked to our league secretary they dont even upload our games and averages until the end of the season to bowl.com Nothing is done on computer.

I would make a team an excellent 2nd or 3rd bowler with my handicap and ability to bowl over my head on occasion lol

Re: forum league?? - 12/13/09 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Rocket
Would a copy of score sheet, (Paper) suffice to join the league? Talked to our league secretary they dont even upload our games and averages until the end of the season to bowl.com Nothing is done on computer.

I would make a team an excellent 2nd or 3rd bowler with my handicap and ability to bowl over my head on occasion lol

Some tournaments will do this to verify if your average is well over year book average.

Re: forum league?? - 12/13/09 12:47 PM

well, even to that extent, we could go thru the pages of the 09/10 season and tally up the scores vs weeks reported to come up with a 'site' average.

plus, i really don't think the folks here would lie about avg/games etc., it'd just be a fun thing.

Re: forum league?? - 12/13/09 12:54 PM

Let's just compile a list of who wants to participate. Have each indicate a sanctioned average, or an average if they are not sanctioned. And, see how many we have. Cut off the applicants on a date or when we reach a predetermined number.

Then I agree with a draft method from the available list to maintain parity. If we use handicap, it should be based on the highest averaged bowler.

Next problem is how would we schedule who bowls whom? And, scores are to be entered by what day?

Re: forum league?? - 12/13/09 03:52 PM

Count me in, ten sound like fun.
Posted by: usr bin geek

Re: forum league?? - 12/13/09 08:11 PM

I'll be happy to setup and host a wordpress blog for the league (to post the score sheets, news, form to submit scores, etc). Once you decide who's going to run things shoot me a PM or try to catch me in the chat in the afternoon or evening.

I'd offer to do more but I sadly don't have any free time to do it right or even sloppily. wink

Re: forum league?? - 12/13/09 11:07 PM

Mighty nice of you usr. If we could do this off of here so as not to muddy up the posts, but have a link from here would be nice.

Need help, PM me. Or just to discuss/recommend.
Posted by: Upriser

Re: forum league?? - 12/14/09 01:28 AM

sounds like fun, im up for it!!

Re: forum league?? - 12/14/09 07:35 AM

I *want* to run it - I even set up a new gmail account to use just for this. But, I think I know myself better than to offer. I'll give the gmail account to whoever runs it if they want, [email protected]

Re: forum league?? - 12/14/09 07:59 AM

Hey cg, that's great. I was going to put the bug in your ear, but didn't know your availability nor your interest.

Somehow, we can skin this cat and make it fun.

Re: forum league?? - 12/14/09 09:03 AM

Dennis, I think it took 2 weeks between me saying I would add the report link in BowlSK, and me actually adding it.

As far as running the league, I think that in fairness, people should not be able to see the scores of the people they're bowling against until after the bowling has been completed. Since people will bowl on different days of the week, this leaves 2 options:

1) Schedule is public. Scores are submitted by a certain time each week (I'm thinking something like Sunday night at midnight, PST), not displayed until after the deadline.
1a) Problem: People will post their scores here, on bowlsk, etc, before the deadline.
2) Schedule is private. Scores are still submitted by the same time, and after the deadline, the matchups for that week are made public.
2a) Problem: Lack of trust in league administration could lead to accusations.
2b) If a position round is used, that matchup will be known. If every team bowls every other team a set number of times, the last matchup could be inferred.

I think 2 would be the best way to go. I also think we need to allow "rolloffs", since some people will not have league the same weeks others have league. For instance, Friday and Saturday leagues are likely to miss 2 nights coming up that Monday or Tuesday leagues probably won't. Every effort should be made by the roller-off to use the same center and conditions.

If no one else can run it, I will do it. Unfortunately, Richie, I would not be buying league software. Excel for records, and some random way of pairing up teams so that everyone bowls everyone else an equal number of times.

Re: forum league?? - 12/14/09 09:51 AM

Should this be handicapped, and there may be a tendency to cough, cough, pad a score, what about calculating the cap after bowling and including the most current. In this manner, the outcome won't be known until a new cap has been calculated.

Should someone report high scores, their cap would drop accordingly. Like establishing a new average cap each week?
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: forum league?? - 12/14/09 10:00 AM

I am game to bowl in the BC League! I am booked at 213 so you can count me in.
Posted by: MikeHL

Re: forum league?? - 12/14/09 10:18 AM

If someone wants a new guy @ 155 but w/lots of upward potential, I'm in, too. smile Thanks, CG, for offering to run it!

Edit: I have a question for you as well. Should each of us in this thing pick 1 specific league we're in right at the outset and report how we do in that one each week to you (preferable, I think)?

Re: forum league?? - 12/14/09 10:45 AM

Well for me I'm willing to use either my wed, thur, or sat night leagues as those are update within a day or 2 after completetion...most the time, it's the same night. For those that are in multiple league do we use our highest avg league currently or would be our choice?

Re: forum league?? - 12/14/09 11:02 AM

Originally Posted By: cgeorg
But, I think I know myself better than to offer. I'll give the gmail account to whoever runs it if they want, [email protected]

'Thanks for offering to run it', sez me. Hooray reading comprehension! I'm an idiot. Sorry I didn't see this! Nm. smile
Posted by: Russ I.

Re: forum league?? - 12/14/09 11:31 AM

204 last year, 208 current(well two weeks ago-sec hasn't updated the online averages since Nov 24th)
Count me in

Re: forum league?? - 12/14/09 11:46 AM

Originally Posted By: MikeHL
If someone wants a guy @ 155 but w/lots of upward potential, I'm in, too. smile

Me too. I bowled 3 games of Helicopter yesterday and averaged 158. However, in the 3 previous weeks, I had 190, 192, and 175 with it, so I am willing to post my average at 170 (and adjust it after 3 or so weeks of BC league play) in order to start off on a fair basis. Keeping in mind that I bowl only in open bowling, and that's why I would use helicopter instead of a hook - to eliminate lane conditions as a factor.

Re: forum league?? - 12/14/09 12:32 PM

If anyone wants a 160 average, then count me in too. If you really need to verify averages I'll contact Cathy Innes and I'm sure it can be arranged. Just don't expect me to bowl lots of 200 games (or even one).

Re: forum league?? - 12/14/09 06:44 PM

Ok, I'm looking into some of the cheaper league software, and working with usrbingeek to get something set up. Will let everyone know when it's ready.
Posted by: JayhawksFan

Re: forum league?? - 12/14/09 07:47 PM

I'd be interested in doing this. I don't post too often but I'm always on the site and would regularly participate every week. I wouldn't have a book average from last year since i'm currently in my first ever league and they don't post any of our scores online.
Posted by: Justinmill14

Re: forum league?? - 12/14/09 09:46 PM

I'm in as well, sounds like a lot of fun! Hopefully we can get this thing going by the start of the year.
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: forum league?? - 12/14/09 10:20 PM

I'm in. I have the software but no time. I can barely keep up with my own league. Let alone one on here smile

I say make it 12-14 week starting the second week of Jan. Sunday to Saturday should be the week for bowlers. I like CGs idea of having handicap being 90% of the difference of the teams. The reason it would only be 12-14 weeks is because all of our leagues get done at different times. Also, we should have a few "roaming" subs. We can basically rotate between people. Or, we do average minus 10 for the week. Thoughts?

Re: forum league?? - 12/15/09 10:47 AM

If we are going to use a sub I feel we should have to have our sub listed as bowling on the team before the night a member is going to miss and before the sub has bowled his (or her) set for the week.

Re: forum league?? - 12/15/09 11:04 AM

I'd vote against subs, just because getting averages for regular members will be hard enough, without subs. Unless, as GP suggested, we could have a few members that would be rotating subs. I think, if the absentee penalty was not bad (avg - 10?), they would not really be necessary. I also think allowing individual roll-offs would be fine, since frankly, we're doing individual bowling on different nights anyways.

Re: forum league?? - 12/15/09 11:53 AM

No Subs.

We have to compile a list of bowlers, establish averages here. I am in favor of a draft of those who sign up. Take the name list, with our last year's average, and the top bowlers should select teams.

We could do this on a prescribed time, and all meet in the chat room. Selecting bowlers from the same list of players.

Maybe even get this on ESPN. Like the NFL draft.

Re: forum league?? - 12/15/09 12:13 PM

I am interested in participating. But, my book average for last year is 239. My highest average this season is 228. So, I am all for establishing new averages starting on the first virtual day of bowling.

Concerning choosing teams, it is unlikely I will be able to meet in the chat room for any length of time, unless it is between 12:00 noon and 1:00 pm during the week with a day or two advance warning. Personally, I would prefer to defer the picking to somebody else, although I would like to have Vampyre on my team.

Since this is a forum league maybe instead of using bowling averages to decide who picks, how about number of posts the past month, 3 months, or the like?

Re: forum league?? - 12/15/09 12:43 PM

I'm with Joe on this, Go with the top posters to decide who picks the team instead of average. I think it would be better that way, after all it is a forum league. This way we have the captains as the people who are on here the most and participate the most on this forum.

Re: forum league?? - 12/15/09 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
We could do this on a prescribed time, and all meet in the chat room. Selecting bowlers from the same list of players.

You have to take into account of different time zones, schedules, etc etc. How about get one person to administrate all this and have everyone PM their entry to him/her?
Posted by: usr bin geek

Re: forum league?? - 12/15/09 06:45 PM

cgeorg kindly volunteered to take the lead on it and has been working on finding suitable league software and putting together all the specifics with help from other members who hang out in the chat during the day (9am-5pm et). Everyone is welcome to get involved.

BTW cgeorg, did you get the email with your login info for the blog?

Re: forum league?? - 12/15/09 09:34 PM

I am in the top 10 in posters but my posting has been EXTREMELY limited lately. I say that we get a list of everyone who wants to be in, then decide on how many teams. After that, everyone is put on teams randomly. I am not a fan of picking people. It is like 3rd grade gym. There are some people who are going to get their feelings hurt. I would rather not have that.

Re: forum league?? - 12/15/09 11:48 PM

GP makes a great point. The idea where leaders pick their team members reminded me very much of sports in school. We don't want people's feelings to get hurt here. It's one thing to end up on a team you don't really care for, but to actually not be picked by the team you did want hurts.

Some how we should figure out a way to draft people to the teams randomly, after figuring amount of teams. I think there can still be the higher average people as captains or a starting point. Since most of this league will be based on the honor system maybe someone can draw names out of a hat for each average group. For example, put the 180-199 average people together and draw X names, here X is the number of teams. And then the next average group down. Something like that until the teams are filled. With any luck maybe there's a way to do it online.
Posted by: Vic44

Re: forum league?? - 12/16/09 01:07 AM

If this happens, please let me know. Sounds like a kick in the pants!!

Re: forum league?? - 12/16/09 07:11 AM

GP makes a great point. The idea where leaders pick their team members reminded me very much of sports in school. We don't want people's feelings to get hurt here. It's one thing to end up on a team you don't really care for, but to actually not be picked by the team you did want hurts.

Some how we should figure out a way to draft people to the teams randomly, after figuring amount of teams. I think there can still be the higher average people as captains or a starting point. Since most of this league will be based on the honor system maybe someone can draw names out of a hat for each average group. For example, put the 180-199 average people together and draw X names, here X is the number of teams. And then the next average group down. Something like that until the teams are filled. With any luck maybe there's a way to do it online.

I agree. A simple way to do this would be once we have a list of all the bowlers, to sort the list from highest average to lowest average. If there are 20 bowlers and 4 on a team, the highest average goes to team 1, the next highest average goes to team 2, 3rd highest to team 3, 4th to team 4, 5th starts over and goes to team 1, 6th to team 2, etc. This will create fairly well balanced teams, and avoid hurt feelings. And, the entire list of participants and their team assignments can be posted online to avoid any confusion. The list would look something like this:

Average, Name, Team
225, Bowler A, 1
220, Bowler B, 2
215, Bowler C, 3
210, Bowler D, 4
205, Bowler E, 1
200, Bowler F, 2
195, Bowler G, 3
190, Bowler H, 4
185, Bowler I, 1
180, Bowler J, 2
175, Bowler K, 3
170, Bowler L, 4
165, Bowler M, 1
160, Bowler N, 2
155, Bowler O, 3
150, Bowler P, 4

Team 1
225, Bowler A, 1
205, Bowler E, 1
185, Bowler I, 1
165, Bowler M, 1

Team 2
220, Bowler B, 2
200, Bowler F, 2
180, Bowler J, 2
160, Bowler N, 2

Team 3
215, Bowler C, 3
195, Bowler G, 3
175, Bowler K, 3
155, Bowler O, 3

Team 4
210, Bowler D, 4
190, Bowler H, 4
170, Bowler L, 4
150, Bowler P, 4

Note: This approach gives team 1 a higher average total and down through team 4 a lower average total. An alternative that might be even more balanced would be to start from the top of the list, then the bottom of the list. Either way would be fine with me.
Posted by: lmfcoa

Re: forum league?? - 12/16/09 09:24 AM

Sounds like fun, I could possibly be interested.

Re: forum league?? - 12/16/09 09:43 AM

What do you mean... could possibly?????

You're in. No ifs, ands or buts.

Re: forum league?? - 12/16/09 10:01 AM

I agree with Joe's thought but I think it would be a better idea to flip flop the "draft order". that way each team should be as close to the same averages as possible. Not that it matters if we are capping anyways but it would be cool to have a pretty much scratch league.

Re: forum league?? - 12/16/09 10:42 AM

To achieve more balanced team averages, below is a suggested approach:
1. Create a roster of all the bowlers in average order, from highest to lowest.
2. First round, populate the teams from the top down. In other words, the highest average goes to team 1, next highest to team 2, etc.
3. Second round, continue populating the teams from the bottom up. In other words, the lowest average goes to team 1, next lowest goes to team 2, etc.
4. Continue alternating top down/bottom up each round until each bowler has been assigned to a team.

Below is an example:

Average, Name, Team
225, Bowler A, 1 -|
220, Bowler B, 2  |- Round 1
215, Bowler C, 3  |
210, Bowler D, 4 -|
205, Bowler E, 1 -|
200, Bowler F, 2  |- Round 3
195, Bowler G, 3  |
190, Bowler H, 4 -|
185, Bowler I, 4 -|
180, Bowler J, 3  |
175, Bowler K, 2  |- Round 4
170, Bowler L, 1 -|
165, Bowler M, 4 -|
160, Bowler N, 3  |
155, Bowler O, 2  |- Round 2
150, Bowler P, 1 -|

Team 1
225, Bowler A, 1
205, Bowler E, 1
170, Bowler L, 1
150, Bowler P, 1

Team 2
220, Bowler B, 2
200, Bowler F, 2
175, Bowler K, 2
155, Bowler O, 2

Team 3
215, Bowler C, 3
195, Bowler G, 3
180, Bowler J, 3
160, Bowler N, 3

Team 4
210, Bowler D, 4
190, Bowler H, 4
185, Bowler I, 4
165, Bowler M, 4

In this hypothetical scenario, each team would have the same total average of 750. With actual averages, there will be some variations in the spread, but this still gets the teams pretty close. By the way, we may want to consider 3-person teams to increase the number of teams. The above approach would work the same, just one less round in the draft.

Re: forum league?? - 12/16/09 12:47 PM

usrbingeek, I got the login.

I was thinking we could have open signups, we'll figure out how many teams we have based on that (I would try to make no vacancies before I'd decide on 4 or 5 person teams). Then, just distribute bowlers based on average. Go across the top first - highest book average on team 1, 2nd on team 2, and so on. Say there are 10 teams - top 10 book averages would each be on a team. Next, take the bottom 10, and distribute the same way. Low average on team 1, 2nd low on team 2, 3rd low on team 3, etc. Keep going until all teams are filled, and all team averages should be pretty close to one another.

I'll work with usrbingeek to get a signup page/post setup, and one of us will post it here when it's ready.

As far as book averages, here's my vote:

If you are in a league, your book average will be whatever your league average is as of Jan 1. If you're in multiple leagues, use whichever league you will be submitting for the virtual league.

If you're not in a league, try to bowl at least 3 times (3 games each) in December under the conditions you will be bowling on when you bowl your games for the league. If you can pick a regular day and time, that's even better, because you'll be more likely to bowl on consistent conditions. Those games will be used as your book average.

Optimal season length will probably depend on how many leagues we get, but if we kick off the first week in the first full week of jan (4th-10th) we could have a 16 week season finish up April 25th. Perhaps when you guys sign up you can state when your league ends, so we can try to accommodate peoples' real league end dates.

Re: forum league?? - 12/16/09 02:44 PM

I was thinking we could have open signups, we'll figure out how many teams we have based on that (I would try to make no vacancies before I'd decide on 4 or 5 person teams). Then, just distribute bowlers based on average. Go across the top first - highest book average on team 1, 2nd on team 2, and so on. Say there are 10 teams - top 10 book averages would each be on a team. Next, take the bottom 10, and distribute the same way. Low average on team 1, 2nd low on team 2, 3rd low on team 3, etc. Keep going until all teams are filled, and all team averages should be pretty close to one another.

I think that is pretty much what I suggested in the previous post.

Re: forum league?? - 12/16/09 03:02 PM

Yeah, but I wrote it before I saw yours ;P

Re: forum league?? - 12/16/09 03:08 PM

Yes, I was reading your mind. cool

Glad we are on the same page. By the way, thank you in advance for undertaking this mission. Any time you want to come practice out this way, I've got your games covered.

Disclaimer: If you move out this way, vacation more than 3 weeks per year in this area, etc., the above free practice offer is null and void, but your assistance with the forum league is still appreciated.
Posted by: Matrix900

Re: forum league?? - 12/16/09 06:52 PM

I don't post a lot..( don't have a lot of computer time either).. But this sounds like something fun and I would be interested.

I agree with the averages being what your average is in the league you want to submit Jan 1.

Re: forum league?? - 12/16/09 08:41 PM

Those are some good modifications to some of the previous suggestions. I like the using of the average as off January 1, and the "draft" that both Joe and CG mentioned. Looks like things are coming together nicely.

Thank you CG and Usr Bin Geek for taking on the internet aspect of it.

Re: forum league?? - 12/16/09 10:29 PM

Unless I'm off, the 4th-10th of January would be Monday to Sunday. I have no problems with this since I bowl Saturdays and that would give me that extra time to report, if necessary. As for January 1st being treated as the book average date, that's a nice idea.

Thank you to CG and usr bin geek for taking this on.

Re: forum league?? - 12/16/09 11:25 PM

CG, that's a great idea, and thanks for taking this initiative.

My league is relatively short, being ~25 weeks from September to March. In April-May I'll be finished with my classes and will be feverishly studying for IB exams (ie. minimal bowling). So I guess it'll be a challenge trying to accommodate that.
Posted by: SportBowler Joe

Re: forum league?? - 12/17/09 12:20 AM

I'd be interested and it sounds like a lot of fun but a few problems it presents for me:(a) anyone could go online a look up my scores because there posted the next day and the league sheets are up for anyone to see on both of my leagues.
(b) I only have a sport bowling average so I don't know how thats going to work out with the handicap system for the teams.

Posted by: Atochabsh

Re: forum league?? - 12/17/09 02:35 AM

I might have missed it. But what kind of handicap system are we proposing to use? I'm in support of 90% of the difference between the two teams.

Erin

Re: forum league?? - 12/17/09 02:58 AM

Erin, I think that's what cgeorg said we'll be using. Or at least, that was his suggestion.

Re: forum league?? - 12/17/09 02:25 PM

Here is my 2 cents, or whatever inflation/recession makes it nowadays.

I like the draft system that sk8 suggested (1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1,1,2,3,4). Also like pre-setting people based on averages so we don't have to worry about trying to set up a time where "team captains" have to be available for the draft.

I also like the handicap suggestion of 90% of the team diffence each week. We do this on the thursday league i bowl on.

Once we have have gotten a count of how many people are willing to do this then set up the number of teams and members per team and if we need to fill a spot or 2 we can figure out who can do fell out those spots. (like if my wife starts up bowling before this all starts i can bring her into it as she bowls on my team 2 nights (once she get back to bowling))

Re: forum league?? - 12/17/09 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Joe P.
I'd be interested and it sounds like a lot of fun but a few problems it presents for me:(a) anyone could go online a look up my scores because there posted the next day and the league sheets are up for anyone to see on both of my leagues.
(b) I only have a sport bowling average so I don't know how thats going to work out with the handicap system for the teams.

a) A lot of members here post their scores after the bowl them anyways - we wouldn't want to keep someone from being able to brag about a 300 for a week because they rolled it on a Monday. Instead, the matchups wouldn't be revealed until after the score submission deadline, so that even if everyone posts their scores, people don't know who they need to beat, so there will be no incentive to make something up.

b) A sport average is fine, as long as you're bowling on the same sport condition each week. If it changes (e.g. PBAX) we might take a league vote? I personally wouldn't care. It's a fun league. If you started bowling on a house shot, I'd say re-establish, or use the USBC conversion chart.

Re: forum league?? - 12/17/09 05:27 PM

That works for me. . . .
The sport patterns change every 5 weeks, but no THS is alowed in my sport/PBAX leagues.

Re: forum league?? - 12/18/09 01:44 PM

I checked w/ my real league's secretary, and he said there are 20 more weeks, which puts my last night of bowling for the league on May 5.
Posted by: Vic44

Re: forum league?? - 12/18/09 02:53 PM

I only read the initial posts and this last page...

But I would be up for this. Please count me in if I could join.

Assuming this is for fun, with no duckets on the line.

Thanks all.

Re: forum league?? - 12/18/09 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Vic44
I only read the initial posts and this last page...

But I would be up for this. Please count me in if I could join.
Email address is [email protected]

Assuming this is for fun, with no duckets on the line.

Thanks all.

Bragging rights is all that is on the line

Re: forum league?? - 12/18/09 06:06 PM

wow, i didn't think this would be so popular, but glad it is!

and also a big thanks to USR and CG for grabbing the helm of this, i think it's gonna be fun!!

and at a rough count, we're at almost 30 people [ i think]
Posted by: Time-To-Roll

Re: forum league?? - 12/18/09 08:07 PM

I want to get in on this too. Our league secretary is not on the internet, so would you believe me as to my average? I can
always have our secretary e-mail you. Hope this thing can get going. thumbsup
Time To Roll
Posted by: Matrix900

Re: forum league?? - 12/19/09 11:13 AM

Its just a fun league among forum members that post. Honest people will make it fun. If it gets out of hand with the scores they it will ruin it for the rest of us. Just participate and have fun.

If things start to get wary with a few members CG is a great researcher and things will be done. I think it will go along without a hitch. Just be honest with your scores and it will be fun.
Posted by: TheDude397

Re: forum league?? - 12/22/09 01:58 PM

Is it too late for me to join this? I don't post here much but I do lurk a few times a week and my book avg and avg for this season are finally the same (188) after a long slump to start the season...

Re: forum league?? - 12/22/09 03:21 PM

We're still waiting to hear the details of this and the sign-up and recruitment process. You're early lol.
Posted by: mgeorg

Re: forum league?? - 12/22/09 07:39 PM

Hi all, newbie on the forum, but not to bowling. Joined the forum so I could play in the virtual league. I recognize a few names in the thread from over on the bowlsk site. Looking forward to some virtual fun!

Mark

http://www.bowlsk.com/view-profile.html?user=1501

Re: forum league?? - 12/22/09 08:08 PM

Welcome to the site Mark. Hope you enjoy coming to the site for more than just the league.

Re: forum league?? - 12/22/09 08:22 PM

Thanks Calvin, yes I expect to mostly be a lurker, but I'll be around.
Posted by: Jock

Re: forum league?? - 12/23/09 02:32 AM

How's this going to workout for us "foreigners"? Over here in France, our league averages are not posted anywhere on the net?

Maybe you could just believe everyone?

I can't believe that anyone would lie about their scores on a "bragging rights" internet league but, the last time I particpated on one (on another site) I was amazed at the high scores people where posting. I was at my highest ever average (over 200) and was close to being low man on that league.

I suppose your so called "throw it right (to the dry) and watch it hook back to the pocket" THS has something to do with this. Fortunately we don't have that over here.

Re: forum league?? - 12/23/09 06:46 AM

I would suggest that bowlers whose averages and scores are not posted on the internet forward copies of weekly league sheets to the league secretary, cgeorg.

Most folks these days have access to a scanner and email, so it should not be much to ask in exchange for participation in the virtual league.

Sorry, I am not the believing type. People have been known to invent all kinds of things for the sake of drama and attention. Remember "balloon boy"? Let's keep it fun...and real.

Re: forum league?? - 12/23/09 07:28 AM

Signup: http://www.bowlingfans.com/league/2009/12/23/signup/
Rulebook: http://www.bowlingfans.com/league/2009/12/23/rulebook/

Feedback is good.

Re: forum league?? - 12/23/09 07:50 AM

Hey, do you think usrbingeek can list this as its own topic?

Re: forum league?? - 12/23/09 08:46 AM

On the subject of league sheets, I am more inclined to just let people submit their scores. We have a good sense of community here, and frankly, I think requiring some sort of digital submission would be a large barrier to entry. I can tell you that my league's standings sheets don't even include the last weeks scores, so you'd have to subtract total pins from the previous week to get the series, and you'd still have to trust the individual games.

It would also bar anyone who is not in a league from participating.

Re: forum league?? - 12/23/09 10:12 AM

Things are looking good. Again thank you to CG and Usr for undertaking the technical part. I'll be signing up right after I bowl league this weekend so I know my exact current average as opposed to guessing at it despite the fact the guess would be pretty close.

Re: forum league?? - 12/23/09 10:18 AM

Well done!

Re: forum league?? - 12/23/09 10:41 AM

Signed up. Looking forward to the start of league. I put down my current average. It is 2 pins higher than last years ending average.

Re: forum league?? - 12/23/09 06:56 PM

I bowl two more weeks before the deadline to sign up so I will wait until I at least bowl one more week to sign up. Just to get a more accurate read of my average, since I'm up and down these last few weeks. My concern is, when it says Sunday at midnight, to me that means the very beginning of Sunday. But I get the feeling it's meant as the end of Sunday. Is that right?

Re: forum league?? - 12/23/09 08:11 PM

once this starts, we should probably refrain from posting scores in the 09/10 fall/winter thread i would think [unless of course you bowl multiple leagues, you'd post the non forum league scores]

yes? or post them a week late so to speak?

Re: forum league?? - 12/23/09 08:41 PM

They can be posted normally. If I read everything correctly, you don't know who you bowl against until after the week is up.

Re: forum league?? - 12/23/09 09:52 PM

I signed up! Its going to be fun, glad we got this going.

If there ends up being a vacancy spot, my brother can enter, he is not a part of this forum but said he would like to join if we needed to fill a vacancy.

Re: forum league?? - 12/24/09 04:48 AM

Just signed up too. Thank you CG for hosting this thing! I just hope I've gotten the 115s and 122s (both of which I've rolled in leagues w/in the last week) out of my system.

Re: forum league?? - 12/24/09 08:25 AM

I bowl two more weeks before the deadline to sign up so I will wait until I at least bowl one more week to sign up. Just to get a more accurate read of my average, since I'm up and down these last few weeks. My concern is, when it says Sunday at midnight, to me that means the very beginning of Sunday. But I get the feeling it's meant as the end of Sunday. Is that right?

Sunday at midnight is the last tick of the clock on Sunday. 12:01 is the first minute of Monday. Which brings up an interesting point to manage. Since, the members here circle the globe, Our friends in Australia and Singapore are a half a World away from our friends in France and Germany. They are in different days.

So, I recommend the posting of scores has to be controlled to input by midnight Eastern Time, US. As that is the time zone cgeorg resides.

To manage this, everyone can set the time format in their preferences to the server time. Is that OK? Just a thought.
Posted by: mtg712

Re: forum league?? - 12/24/09 08:38 AM

i signed up

Re: forum league?? - 12/24/09 09:19 AM

I'm in. But, I forgot to mention my scores are posted on LeagueSecretary.com:

http://www.leaguesecretary.com/LeagueFilesStandings.aspx?LID=47910

Team #1, Anchor bowler.

Re: forum league?? - 12/24/09 09:39 AM

Let's say the league runs from Monday morning, 12:00:01, for exactly 7 days. Scores should be submitted by Noon of the following Monday, PST. AFAIK, Australia and Asia are on the other side of the international date line, so they will not be hit with an early deadline. Any Hawaiians bowling in very late Sunday night leagues are urged to submit their scores before going to bed.

To address posting in the league threads, I won't be releasing team matchups until after scores are submitted. This league wouldn't be very fun if it required you to keep quiet about a new personal record that you bowled on Monday so that your opponents wouldn't find out. I do plan on a position round or 2, depending on the schedule, and in those cases your opponent will be known. In that case, you can use your discretion. I won't refrain from posting my scores when they're bowled.

As long as everyone remembers that this is a fun league, no prize fund, etc, we will be ok here. The goal is inclusion, not barriers.

Re: forum league?? - 12/24/09 10:11 AM

Im In! thanks for setting this up its gonna be a blast

Re: forum league?? - 12/24/09 12:37 PM

I'm in, I also forgot to mention my scores are posted on: www.pwpbaexp.com and
http://www.leaguesecretary.com/LeagueFilesStandings.aspx?LID=25714 Team #2 leadoff.

Re: forum league?? - 12/24/09 01:58 PM

Any idea of when the virtual league might end? Here it's usually late March-early April. Probably won't get to open bowl much after since I'll be studying for exams. But I don't want to hinder you guys' bowling, so can we work a way around that?

UPDATE: JT Jackson? Is that that movie actor who bowled the [censored] Weber Open last season?
Posted by: Time-To-Roll

Re: forum league?? - 12/24/09 03:18 PM

My last chance to roll my team to victory is Wed. April 7th.
Most teams should all be pretty close to this?
Time To Roll

Re: forum league?? - 12/24/09 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: beefers1
Any idea of when the virtual league might end? Here it's usually late March-early April. Probably won't get to open bowl much after since I'll be studying for exams. But I don't want to hinder you guys' bowling, so can we work a way around that?

UPDATE: JT Jackson? Is that that movie actor who bowled the [censored] Weber Open last season?

Yes, that is him.

Re: forum league?? - 12/27/09 01:26 AM

Okay, I'm signed up. 179 is my average as of tonight. Hopefully we'll have enough people for 4-man teams but if the amount of people is divisable by 3 we should probably do that for more teams. I would like more than 6 teams.

Re: forum league?? - 12/27/09 07:04 AM

cgeorg, FYI...I rolled a 750 series last night, which bumped my entry average for the forum league up a pin to 229.

Re: forum league?? - 12/27/09 09:44 PM

So far, I have these entries:

Amateur
beefers1
Calvin Pistorio
cgeorg
Dennis Michael
Don_Ebarb
General Pounder
Jock
Joe Bowler
Joe P.
Justinmill14
lmfcoa
Matrix900
mgeorg
MikeHL
mtg712
Richie V.
Rocket
Russ I.
sk8shorty01
spareme
tbill
thedude397
Time-To-Roll
VampyreBowler

If you want in, and your name isn't in the list, make sure you get to the signup page at http://www.bowlingfans.com/league/2009/12/23/signup/, and signup! If you tried to sign up previously and your name isn't on the list, please send myself or Admin a private message.

Re: forum league?? - 12/28/09 12:46 AM

so far we have enough for 5 teams of 5.

Re: forum league?? - 12/28/09 07:24 AM

Wow, I find it amazing that all of these people signed up in alphabetical order.

Re: forum league?? - 12/28/09 08:44 AM

Dennis, isn't that crazy? We're up to 27. Keep 'em coming.

Re: forum league?? - 12/28/09 02:20 PM

27? Would 9 teams of 3 do?

Re: forum league?? - 12/28/09 03:08 PM

My two cents worth...I would rather there be more teams with fewer bowlers (min 3) than fewer teams with more bowlers (max 5). I believe that will make the season more interesting than bowling the same teams over and over.
Posted by: TheDemolitionMan

Re: forum league?? - 12/28/09 03:16 PM

I'd have to agree. Like 15 teams of 3 would be cool. Of course, we need 35 people to sign up, but that would be way cooler.

BTW, I signed up today. thumbsup

Re: forum league?? - 12/28/09 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
My two cents worth...I would rather there be more teams with fewer bowlers (min 3) than fewer teams with more bowlers (max 5). I believe that will make the season more interesting than bowling the same teams over and over.

I'll double that by adding in my two cents, and gotta agree. Of course if we could get more people into it the amount of bowlers on a team could go up to try to allow every team to bowl every other team at least once.

I don't like that about my current league. We bowl 34 weeks with 4 position rounds, and have 48 five person teams. You don't get to bowl each team, could bowl as few as 30 if you happen to bowl the same team every position round as well as one regular week, or up to 34. Don't like the league too small either, nothing like bowling the same team 5 times without position rounds.

Re: forum league?? - 12/28/09 09:20 PM

I think you are going to find more people sign up the closer it gets to the deadline.
Posted by: VFF57

Re: forum league?? - 12/28/09 09:49 PM

I signed up. I'll use my Monday night league scores since it's posted on leaguesecretary.com. My current average as of tonight is 206 in that league.

Re: forum league?? - 12/28/09 10:20 PM

Can we get a real-time list of participants so someone doesn't have to update it all the time?

Re: forum league?? - 12/28/09 10:54 PM

I would personally prefer 4-man teams, but I suppose the more teams we have the better. If we get 32+ people it can go either way I think.

Re: forum league?? - 12/28/09 10:58 PM

Oh, and, is it possible to start by January 2nd (the coming Saturday)? The entire house is booked on the 9th so we're moving up 1 week.

Re: forum league?? - 12/29/09 07:37 AM

beefers, you can submit the scores you roll on the 2nd for the first week.

Re: forum league?? - 12/29/09 12:14 PM

cgeorg, how do you want us to submit the scores? this thread? PM you? some other way? Also, what is our official start date?

Re: forum league?? - 12/29/09 12:40 PM

I agree with the above, I think more teams would be better. 3 man teams will be good or 4 man teams if we have enough people.

Re: forum league?? - 12/29/09 12:44 PM

There is a page like the signup page that will be used for score submissions. The first week of the league will run Jan 4-10. I'll post a link for the score submission page once we get the form finalized.

Re: forum league?? - 12/29/09 01:40 PM

Dont think I posted this yet but thanks to the guys setting this up. I am looking forward to it.

Re: forum league?? - 12/29/09 02:19 PM

beefers, you can submit the scores you roll on the 2nd for the first week.

Thanks, I guess I should do that, since there'll be no bowling on the 9th.

Re: forum league?? - 12/30/09 03:29 PM

I can add my wife to this if you need an extra person.

Re: forum league?? - 12/31/09 11:03 AM

31 bowlers so far. I'll be cutting off registration on the 3rd. As it stands, I would probably do 8 teams of 4, with one team having a vacant. I would also probably use a 12 week season - each team bowling each other team once, position round, then 3 more standard weeks followed by a final position round. Or, possibly just 11 regular weeks and a single position round at the end.

If you don't see your name on the list and you signed up, send me a PM. I have also sent PMs to the people that expressed interest in this thread, but haven't yet signed up.

Signed up:
Amateur
Atochabsh
beefers1
Calvin Pistorio
cgeorg
Dennis Michael
Domokun
Don_Ebarb
General Pounder
ijohn83
Jock
Joe Bowler
Joe P.
Justinmill14
lmfcoa
Matrix900
Merlin54
mgeorg
MikeHL
mtg712
Richie V.
Rocket
Russ I.
sk8shorty01
SpareMe
tbill
TheDemolitionMan
TheDude397
Time-To-Roll
VampyreBowler
VFF57

Re: forum league?? - 12/31/09 01:20 PM

wow, it's a good thing dennis mentioned bowling together or this may have never happened.

thanks again for putting this together, it's gonna be fun!

Re: forum league?? - 12/31/09 01:35 PM

will a team list be posted here?

Re: forum league?? - 12/31/09 01:39 PM

I would assume that if the team list is posted on this thread it would be on the page set up for this league.

Re: forum league?? - 12/31/09 05:23 PM

I think Justinmill has a friend he can add so that there won't be a vacant, or we can use Vampyre's wife. Assuming more people don't sign up, of course.

Re: forum league?? - 01/01/10 05:28 PM

Like Amateur said, I have someone to add so we don't have a vacant. If you need to cgeorg, pm if there is an open spot and I'll give you his name and all of the information you need.
Posted by: Smooth Stroker

Re: forum league?? - 01/02/10 12:58 AM

I'm just seeing this thread but I am definitely interested. Put me in if u can.

Re: forum league?? - 01/02/10 01:27 AM

I only had the patience to read the first 7 pages of the thread. My current average is 201. It's been as high as 211 and as low as 194. I expect to finish the year at about 210. I love the idea of bowling another league and not spending any money. Wifey would approve. I don't get to come on here as much anymore because Wifey is no Facebook all the time. But I bought her an iTouch for her birthday so she can get on anytime she wants without clogging up the computer. I bowl on Wednesday night. I can give a link to the league website for score verification. I definitely don't have the time to help administer this league. I spend most of my free time chasing around my 2 year old.

Re: forum league?? - 01/02/10 01:44 AM

Glad to see you again Smooth. Its basically a honor system scoring, so I don't think online league links are needed.

Erin

Re: forum league?? - 01/02/10 01:30 PM

Thanks Erin.

Re: forum league?? - 01/02/10 01:31 PM

Signup page is at http://www.bowlingfans.com/league/2009/12/23/signup/, please fill out the form so I can get your info.

If you know people that may want to join, don't bother waiting to see if there's a vacant, just have them sign up. Who knows, we may have 4 or 5 people that "maybe would do it", and that's a whole new team we could have.

Closing signups tomorrow...

Re: forum league?? - 01/02/10 04:23 PM

137 116 147 will be my first reported scores for the virtual league. Had to bowl with rental shoes and just couldn't maintain balance, and there were still some release issues.

Re: forum league?? - 01/02/10 08:18 PM

Maybe it was said before, but where do we report scores?
Posted by: lmfcoa

Re: forum league?? - 01/02/10 08:21 PM

I think you'll do that here Dennis - http://www.bowlingfans.com/league/submit-your-scores/

Re: forum league?? - 01/02/10 09:06 PM

Thanks, imfcoa (is that an L or an I?)

I'm submitting today because I won't be bowling league next week.

Re: forum league?? - 01/04/10 07:08 AM

Ok, signups are closed, we have 32 bowlers. Here's the list:

Amateur
Atochabsh
beefers1
Calvin Pistorio
cgeorg
Dennis Michael
Domokun
Don_Ebarb
General Pounder
ijohn83
Jock
Joe Bowler
Joe P.
Justinmill14
lmfcoa
Matrix900
Merlin54
mgeorg
MikeHL
mtg712
Richie V.
Rocket
Russ I.
sk8shorty01
Smooth Stroker
SpareMe
tbill
TheDemolitionMan
TheDude397
Time-To-Roll
VampyreBowler
VFF57

Teams will be posted later today

Re: forum league?? - 01/04/10 10:39 AM

I will not be doing the helicopter, as I had said before. It turns out this shot is hard on my elbow. Instead, I'll do a limp-wristed or stroker-style shot, since those are the ones I do best.

I have no idea what any given game will be for those - sometimes 138, sometimes 238. Each week will be like a grab bag. Hope my teammates won't mind...

My starting average is 170, just as a guess.

Re: forum league?? - 01/04/10 12:34 PM

Here are the teams and entering averages:

Team 1:
144 Time-To-Roll
187 TheDude397
188 Richie V.
228 Joe Bowler

Team 2:
146 mtg712
182 Domokun
194 Dennis Michael
224 VampyreBowler

Team 3:
152 Rocket
181 Calvin Pistorio
195 lmfcoa
217 Merlin54

Team 4:
159 MikeHL
181 Justinmill14
198 Atochabsh
215 sk8shorty01

Team 5:
160 beefers1
180 TheDemolitionMan
201 Smooth Stroker
210 Russ I.

Team 6:
167 tbill
180 mgeorg
204 Matrix900
209 Joe P.

Team 7:
170 SpareMe
179 Amateur
206 VFF57
208 cgeorg

Team 8:
175 ijohn83
178 Don_Ebarb
207 General Pounder
207 Jock

Team averages range from 186 to 191, which is a pretty fair spread IMO.

Score submission page is here: http://www.bowlingfans.com/league/submit-your-scores/ I'll only accept scores submitted through that page.

I've heard no real objections to 90% of the difference between the 2 teams bowling for handicap, so that's what I went with. Averages will be recalculated after Week 3.

As far as points, I did a 7 point system - 2 per game, 1 for series. I'm up for revision to that, if we do it ASAP.

I went with a 12 week schedule, with 1 position round at the end. Each team will bowl each other team at least once, not more than twice.

First week of bowling starts today (Jan 4) and ends Sunday (Jan 10).

Let's have fun!

Re: forum league?? - 01/04/10 12:43 PM

Cool! Sounds great. Thanks to everybody who helped put this together.

Re: forum league?? - 01/04/10 12:45 PM

Thanks cgeorg, you are awesome for doing all this!
Posted by: Domokun

Re: forum league?? - 01/04/10 01:05 PM

W00T W00T! Nice going, CG!

Re: forum league?? - 01/04/10 01:41 PM

Awesome JOB!!! Was there a decision on being absent?
Like I know I'll be on vacation First week in Feb.
just checking

Re: forum league?? - 01/04/10 02:44 PM

Yowza, some entries were marked as spam and missed. I'll be adding the following bowlers:

[censored]
rebard
cebarb
desertdog71
Avery
MintJulepp
leftykev
Upriser
Vic44

I'll post updated teams ASAP

Re: forum league?? - 01/04/10 03:21 PM

Ok then, revised team list:

Team 1:
144 Time-To-Roll
179 Amateur
206 VFF57
228 Joe Bowler

Team 2:
144 MintJulepp
180 TheDemolitionMan
205 Vic44
224 VampyreBowler

Team 3:
146 mtg712
180 mgeorg
204 Matrix900
223 [censored]

Team 4:
152 Rocket
181 Calvin Pistorio
201 Smooth Stroker
217 Merlin54

Team 5:
158 cebarb
181 Justinmill14
198 Atochabsh
215 sk8shorty01

Team 6:
159 MikeHL
182 Domokun
195 lmfcoa
210 Russ I.

Team 7:
160 beefers1
184 Upriser
194 Dennis Michael
209 Joe P.

Team 8:
167 tbill
187 TheDude397
191 desertdog71
208 cgeorg

Team 9:
170 SpareMe
187 Vacant
191 rebarb
207 General Pounder

Team 10:
175 ijohn83
187 Vacant
188 Avery
207 Jock

Team 11:
178 Don_Ebarb
187 Vacant
188 Richie V.
207 leftykev

I added 3 vacants at the average that was used last in the round-robin team assignment process, and there will be a Bye team. Each team will bowl each other team once, then a position round, so we keep the 12 week season.

Team averages range from 186 to 190.

Re: forum league?? - 01/05/10 07:00 AM

cgeorg, Team 1 has decided on a name. We will be known as Fantastic Four.
Posted by: Dick

Re: forum league?? - 01/05/10 10:49 AM

I did not mention which night I would use. Settled on Wednesday night travel league. Almost did not look at this thread as I thought the teams were set.
Posted by: Upriser

Re: forum league?? - 01/06/10 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: [censored]
I did not mention which night I would use. Settled on Wednesday night travel league. Almost did not look at this thread as I thought the teams were set.
i didnt mention which night either, Monday nights for me as my Thursday leauge is only a two gamer. so scores will be posted Monday night/Tuesday morning (Australian time) which is in front of you guys.

Re: forum league?? - 01/07/10 12:29 AM

Question about the "bye" team...that will be a team of 4 187s, right?

Re: forum league?? - 01/07/10 07:14 AM

When bowling the BYE team, your team has to hit your average to tie, average +1 to win.

Re: forum league?? - 01/07/10 10:13 AM

I don't recall seeing one but is there a schedule of who is playing who each week?

Re: forum league?? - 01/07/10 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By: VampyreBowler
I don't recall seeing one but is there a schedule of who is playing who each week?

It gets released at the conclusion of each week. Decided in order to allow members to post their scores in the leagues page that it would be better to not know what the opponent already shot and what you needed to make.

Re: forum league?? - 01/07/10 10:59 AM

Well..nuts, this way i can't talk smack with Joe on the weeks that I bowl against him.

Re: forum league?? - 01/07/10 11:22 AM

Just talk smack every week and then you will be right at least once smile

Re: forum league?? - 01/07/10 06:27 PM

Good I idea and then I will finally be able to prove to my wife I was right at least once!

Go team 4

Re: forum league?? - 01/08/10 01:20 AM

Team 4, PM me for team name suggestions.

Merlin54 is Mark, Erin's fiancee.
Posted by: trekguy

Re: forum league?? - 01/08/10 10:31 PM

Any chance to fill one of the "vacant" spots?? I'm at 188 right now.

Re: forum league?? - 01/09/10 10:50 PM

trek, PM me your real name + email address and I'll get you on a team. First week is Monday, Jan 4 - Sunday, Jan 10, so if you already bowled, you can submit your score. And just to confirm, your book average should be what you're averaging in the league you'll be submitting scores from, as of the 1st of the year.

Re: forum league?? - 01/09/10 10:50 PM

Teams, send me a PM when you've finalized a team name. Due to a limitation in the software I'm using, keep it to 20 characters or less.

Also, it looks like the Bye team might just be a team of 187 average bowlers bowling 187s. I don't see a way in the software to do what I had wanted to do, where you'd be bowling against your average. At $30 though, with the next cheapest software being ~70, it seems to be getting the job done.

Re: forum league?? - 01/11/10 12:14 PM

cgeorg, what is the link to see the results, after they are compiled?

Re: forum league?? - 01/11/10 12:50 PM

Joe, not sure yet. I'll update this thread once I get it figured out. Still have 4 bowlers outstanding - PMs have been sent to them.

Re: forum league?? - 01/11/10 12:55 PM

Joe, not sure yet. I'll update this thread once I get it figured out. Still have 4 bowlers outstanding - PMs have been sent to them.

Delay of Game, automatic 5 yard penalty!

Re: forum league?? - 01/11/10 01:56 PM

Still have 1:04 left until noon PST

Re: forum league?? - 01/11/10 03:06 PM

Still have 1:04 left until noon PST

Not any more smile

Re: forum league?? - 01/11/10 03:44 PM

has lmcoa posted? NEVERMIND

Re: forum league?? - 01/13/10 01:09 AM

i had to drop from my weekly monday morning league which leaves me with a every other week saturday. what can i do?

Re: forum league?? - 01/13/10 09:41 AM

Originally Posted By: mtg712
i had to drop from my weekly monday morning league which leaves me with a every other week saturday. what can i do?

I would say a 3 game practice session where you record your scores should work just fine.

Re: forum league?? - 01/13/10 12:06 PM

Did I win? What up? Where's my trophy?

Re: forum league?? - 01/13/10 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
Originally Posted By: mtg712

I would say a 3 game practice session where you record your scores should work just fine.

Yeah what he said. It would be ideal to try to do it on Saturday as well, if that's possible.

Re: forum league?? - 01/13/10 06:32 PM

mtg712, as long as you can bowl on a consistent day, at the same center, that's fine. If the every-other-week saturday league is on the same oil as the house regularly has out saturdays, maybe you can bowl at the same time every week?