Any thoughts?

Posted by: lmfcoa

Any thoughts? - 02/28/09 06:57 PM

Howdy folks I recently posted my new member introduction here. As mentioned there I'm returning to bowling after a long hiatus. While I'm happy to be back I unfortunately don't feel I'm up to old form. So here's a couple shots of me from this morning.

Any critique? Things felt pretty good although I felt that my tempo was a little fast and that I wasn't completely relaxed with my grip.
Posted by: cgeorg

Re: Any thoughts? - 02/28/09 07:56 PM

Good tune.

Release looks decent - not hitting up a ton or sending it 15 feet down the lane. You are fairly raised up at the foul line, but you are balanced which is great. You may benefit with a bit more knee bend and a bit less upper body lean at the line.

Without a full side view, it's hard to tell timing or freeness of the armswing, so I'll just say to make sure you keep the armswing loose and free.

Looks like the ball may fall off your hand a bit early, which could indicate a thumb hole that's too big, or too much reverse pitch, and either of those could indicate a need to squeeze, which could cause tightness in the armswing. But without a good side view or (better yet) seeing it in person, that's speculation at this point.

Re: Any thoughts? - 02/28/09 08:26 PM

Thanks for the thoughts cgeorg. I agree completely with your thoughts about the knee bend and leaning at the line. I find that when the lanes are hooking I tend to lean more although I'm not sure why. Also I have been fighting some knee pain lately so I could be subconsciously keeping it straight.

As for the falling off my hand I'll have to look into the pitch issue because I don't think it's a issue of being too lose. My inferno was drilled by a different shop than my cell which is new so I will have to compare the pitch to that as well as get a vid of that ball online.
Posted by: untutored

Re: Any thoughts? - 03/01/09 06:19 PM

It looks to me like the ball's going behind your back a bit--not that it's wrong necessarily, but if that's happening, you should be aware of it. You're also drifting left with your right foot instead of walking straight to the target.

You plant on the last two steps, which can't be good for your joints. I agree that you need to bend your knee, but I'd be concerned about injury if that change isn't accompanied by a smoother approach and a longer slide.

Re: Any thoughts? - 03/02/09 03:02 PM

Another two shots from league last night. I had changed anything purposefully, but thing certainly felt different last night and not in a good way :-(

Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: Any thoughts? - 03/03/09 08:39 AM

To me it looks like your push away is a little to direct and sharp. It should be a nice smooth arc, yours seems to go almost straight out (at least in the league video) then just drops quickly into the swing. You want shape in your push and you want to place the ball into the swing. You do not want an abrupt change in direction as that promotes grabbing and muscling.
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: Any thoughts? - 03/03/09 09:49 AM

Has your second video times out? It doesn't play for me.

OK, it took quite a while, but it's there.

Re: Any thoughts? - 03/03/09 10:58 AM

Thanks for the thoughts Sk8.

Dennis glad it came up for you, must have been a youtube issue because the video is a lot smaller than the first one :-)
Posted by: MoAxMan

Re: Any thoughts? - 03/04/09 11:28 AM

Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
To me it looks like your push away is a little to direct and sharp. It should be a nice smooth arc, yours seems to go almost straight out (at least in the league video) then just drops quickly into the swing. You want shape in your push and you want to place the ball into the swing. You do not want an abrupt change in direction as that promotes grabbing and muscling.

I would argue that if you have enough forward pitch and your thumbhole is tight enough, you should be able to allow gravity to pull the ball into the swing without grabbing and muscling. IMHO a nice smooth arc from the stance into the swing might encourage you to hold the ball back instead of "just letting it fall" as RonC would say.

Here is a link of Brian Voss who I consider to have one of the most free armswings the game has ever seen. Notice the straight out pushaway and then when the arm is almost fully extended he just lets gravity take over (sorry I couldn't embed this video).

I'm not a coach so I may be wrong on this but just thought I would offer my two cents.

Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: Any thoughts? - 03/04/09 01:33 PM

If you watch the ball path with Brian Voss' approach you will notice that although the arm comes straight out, he does wait to straighten the arm all the way until the ball is starting its downward move. This still creates an arc to some degree, as it rounds that corner off. I was simply trying to say that you don't want any sharp corners in your push away as that can promote other problems.
Posted by: cgeorg

Re: Any thoughts? - 03/04/09 01:44 PM

That is older video as well - in his later days, he has rounded his swing. Another good swing to watch is David Ozio.
Posted by: CoachJim

Re: Any thoughts? - 04/10/09 08:57 AM

lmfcoa I don't see too much you are doing wrong, at least from behind, next video shoot some from your bowling side, head to toe start to finish.

Your swing seems fairly consistent and the ball is tight to your leg. From the angle you shot I can't tell if it is bumping inside out a pinch, but if it is, it's not much.

If you could zoom in on your release and do a slow motion shot that would be helpful as well.

Overall you have a nice game and can go pretty far with it.
Posted by: Lefty

Re: Any thoughts? - 04/10/09 10:42 PM

The difference I see in the two videos is that your swing speed seems much faster in the second. It looks like you're more tense and muscling the swing. Also, your timing on the first shot looked to be earlier than your timing on your second shot.
Posted by: psusnoop

Re: Any thoughts? - 04/14/09 11:46 AM

LMFCOA, in the first video you looked very solid and I wouldn't try to alter a whole lot. To be honest try fine tuning your mental game and your accuracy and you'll be fine.

The second video, if you watch the first throw you can notice that your right shoulder is very low at release which caused you to come over the top of the ball which made the ball set up very early and hook way to soon. In the second throw you had a much better base and it looked like the ball reacted the way it was supposed to.

All in all, to many times people look for a set way to throw but often times one peron's game is much different then another person's, so work on the little things that often times get forgotten to easy on house shots. Practice your accuracy and practice mentally on pre-shot routines.
Posted by: mikeyyy44805

Re: Any thoughts? - 04/16/09 04:03 PM

Wow, I think It looks okay. You just have to find out what is most comfortable for you. And this is my first post. But there has been some great feedback from, what looks to be, great bowlers and members.