Input on my form and approaches

Posted by: vdubtx

Input on my form and approaches - 04/17/14 10:42 AM

Hello,

Has been awhile since I have asked for some input on videos. My main reason for asking is that for the last 2 months I have been in somewhat of a slump. Having my best year ever in terms of average across 2 leagues(220 Tuesday and 231 Thursday). While I am in my slump, I am not sure what I am doing that is helping to cause it. Posting a few videos for comparison. Wonder if there is something subtle that I am not seeing. Thanks in advance. I was not able to get side views as the house I practice in is usually quite busy.

Video 1 is from some practice sessions this past fall:

Video 2 is from practice sessions about 2-3 weeks ago:

Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: Input on my form and approaches - 04/17/14 03:10 PM

Your feet have noticeably slowed from the first vid to the last. That's better. Tempo could be a problem at times.

You also had 3 strikes in vid 2, but on 3 different lines. Accuracy could be an issue.

Just things to work on. Good overall, though.
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: Input on my form and approaches - 04/17/14 10:11 PM

Your back swing is slightly lower now than what it was previously, not sure if that is intended or not but its about a half of a ball to a full ball lower in height:

Re: Input on my form and approaches - 04/18/14 12:03 AM

Thanks both. Have been working on footwork since last year when I had really fast feet.

sk8shorty01, no was not intended that my back swing was lower. Something noticed by another site was in the Fall video my forward spine tilt was more pronounced than in Spring video. Also noted was my hand stayed more behind ball in fall vs. spring.

Made those adjustments tonight in league and shot much better. Struggled to even get close to 700 since mid February and shot 743 tonight. First game had front 9 before a slight tug leaving 6-10 and a 278 game. 30 clean frames tonight with that 8 count as my lowest all night long.

I am scheduling a lesson with Susie Minshew for next month as a "tune-up" prior to going to Reno.

Will see how the next weeks go to finish out the fall/winter seasons.

Any other input is most certainly appreciated. smile
Posted by: Joe Bowler

Re: Input on my form and approaches - 04/19/14 02:31 PM

Overall looks good. Very subtle differences fall to spring. Good job making the adjustments. Nice to see the results right away. Keep up the good work!
Posted by: spr3wr

Re: Input on my form and approaches - 04/20/14 11:42 AM

Don't think the swing is lower just a difference in camera angle? 1) You should start with your left foot in front of the right . This will open your hips at the start. As of now your hips are pointing left.
2)You really try to rip the cover off the ball! Try to keep your head as still as possible during the swing and follow through. As you can see your head moves down and left at the beginning of of the release then you start to stand up before the ball gets to the arrows. Also try to stay behind a little longer.
http://s943.photobucket.com/user/spr3wr/media/Untitled1_zpse2082abb.png.html?filters[user]=97708019&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
The 3rd image is what your trying to strive for during the entire approach which is keeping the entire head over the ball.

Re: Input on my form and approaches - 04/21/14 10:30 AM

Thank you. Trying to keep my head still and not rip the ball will be a focus for me the next few weeks. Think the adjustment I made this past Thursday may have helped with this, but no way to tell until I get some more video shot during practice next week.
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: Input on my form and approaches - 04/21/14 10:57 AM

Originally Posted By: spr3wr
Don't think the swing is lower just a difference in camera angle?

This is what I was thinking at first too but looking at the ball return and everything else I think they are pretty close to the same angle.

Notice the top of the masking unit in the older video goes through the left armpit, and is just above the left armpit in the new shot. This means that, if anything, in the new video the camera is actually lower than the old shot. This should make the ball look higher in the swing (because the camera angle is lower and tilted more up) but instead it still looks lower.

Re: Input on my form and approaches - 04/21/14 02:45 PM

Camera(my iPhone) should be same level as I usually place my iPhone on forward most table in the center on left lane of the pair I am practicing on. Perhaps the iPhone was angled a bit from one time to another. I usually have to lean it against my bottle of cleaner so it stands up.
Posted by: spr3wr

Re: Input on my form and approaches - 04/21/14 02:47 PM

Your correct sk8shorty01, he has more forward lean in the above pic.