My newest Videos

Posted by: sk8shorty01

My newest Videos - 05/15/11 07:58 PM

Here are a few clips of my newest videos. I am working on a few things and these are actually going out to Richard Shockley in order to obtain his input and critique on my game.

As a side note the release view shows three different shots each with a different axis of rotation. First is my standard release, second is lowering, last shot is upping it.

What do you guys think? Fire Away!

Side View:

Rear View:

Release View:

Posted by: 10PinGaloot

Re: My newest Videos - 05/15/11 09:43 PM

That's quite a slide.
Looks like you're a stroker. Do you give it some finger action, or just let the ball fall off? Is your thumb round? I abandoned that shot due to blisters on my thumb.

Re: My newest Videos - 05/15/11 09:49 PM

I "set" my fingers in the ball similar to the action of "setting a hook" while fishing. I then allow the ball to tumble off the pinkie side of my hand.

If I was to classify myself I would put myself in the tweener/stroker range simply because my follow-through does not follow the typical stroker mold. It chases the ball more towards my left ear, as opposed to straight at the target as the stroker would do.

Right now I am at about 350 revs and my speed of my hand is about 18.5 mph.

My thumb hole is ovalled at a 45 degree.
Posted by: CoachJim

Re: My newest Videos - 05/15/11 11:23 PM

You are looking pretty good form wise. You might want to invest some time in this lesson:

http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip41_files/tip41.htm

Richard Shockley used to be the head guy at the Kegel training center when it first opened, he is an excellent coach, you will be in good hands. What is he doing these days?

Re: My newest Videos - 05/16/11 09:25 AM

Thanks for the input CoachJim, and just because I am a coach as well and still learning the tricks of the trade I have a question for you. It is not a question of your ability, more of a question to improve my own coaching ability.

What is it that made you decide that lesson applied well to my game? Besides a higher backswing, what else can I look to see as an improvement by adding this piece to my game?

Thanks again, and I truly value your input, just a bowler thirsty for as much knowledge as I can possible handle!

Re: My newest Videos - 05/16/11 11:52 AM

Quote:
What is it that made you decide that lesson applied well to my game? Besides a higher backswing, what else can I look to see as an improvement by adding this piece to my game?

What brought it to my attention wasn't your back swing, it was your spine tilt, if you look at your upper body position you will notice your spine doesn't have much tilt, if you learn to tilt as described in ron's tip you will have the same swing, but a higher back swing because your upper body will be tilted more. I think if you reach to your target more with your balance arm at the same time, it will all fall into place.

I don't know if you read the article in BTM last month about release timing, but it explains what to look for and was a great article. If you didn't read it, let me know and I will scan and send it to you.

Re: My newest Videos - 05/16/11 12:03 PM

Thanks for the reply and explanation CoachJim, I appreciate it.

I don't remember seeing the article and if you wouldn't mind scanning it I would love to read it.

Again, thank you and hope all is well.

Re: My newest Videos - 05/16/11 01:41 PM

Just thought I would mention that any of you out there that would like to add input are more than willing to throw it out there.

I wanted to bring that up because one of my video posts before I had someone that second guessed whether or not they should add anything because they felt it wasn't their place to bring it up.

I really enjoy hearing people's feedback as well as simply talking or listening bowling so anything at all you have to add will be more than appreciated!
Posted by: Time-To-Roll

Re: My newest Videos - 05/16/11 06:05 PM

You still look good to me. However, you might get some ideas
from Slowinski's article THE SWING SLOT REVISITED .
It's hard to find on his site. Use search on the top of left side list. Type in the name. It is the 4th article.
This will give you some ideas to try out? Danny Wiseman and Norm Duke both lean forward quite a bit, especially on step before the slide.
Posted by: ijohn83

Re: My newest Videos - 05/16/11 07:13 PM

Do you push the ball out right of your target in your initial push-away causing a slight wrapping of the ball behind your back?

~ John
Posted by: Steven Stroud

Re: My newest Videos - 05/16/11 10:46 PM

here's that article you mentioned. Its good material.
The swing slot revisited
Posted by: Steven Stroud

Re: My newest Videos - 05/16/11 11:02 PM

I used to do the whole push away to my target thing. This is good but I find personally that I end up too square at the line and I end up having to muscle the ball out to my target at release (because my armswing went too far behind my back) which needless to say brought on inconsistencies.

So what I did and this wont work for everyone because everyone has different "issues" in there game. Mine was I noticed my balance arm was always tucked up next to my body and I ended up really square to the line (instead of perpendicular to my target)... and I walked like a duck push away to finish lol. I fixed those two things and BAM I felt like I used to a decade ago. My balance is far better and I am far more consistent now. All I did was post a vid here for a few more eyes and input. I went out the next day and implemented the advice from the good people here at bowlingfans.com. thanks again all for the words of advice. I really needed those extra eyes.

Re: My newest Videos - 05/17/11 07:43 AM

Originally Posted By: ijohn83
Do you push the ball out right of your target in your initial push-away causing a slight wrapping of the ball behind your back?

~ John

Yes I do, slightly. I am still working on slowly building that part of my game because if I push the ball directly at my target for some reason it causes me to figure eight my swing a little bit and I tend to give the ball to much head-belly. I end up swinging the ball out about 3 boards wide of my intended breakpoint for some odd reason.

Here is an older video to compare against, as you can see my push is a little more outside the target and the swing is a little more wrapped behind my body in the older video.

Thanks for the input John, I appreciate it. Your "coaching" eye is definitely getting stronger as I have noticed you have found things that could be altered in quite a few videos. Some times seeing things from the setee area while someone else is bowling teaches you as much about your own game as physically bowling does. Keep it up!
Posted by: D-Money

Re: My newest Videos - 05/17/11 09:00 AM

WOW, that is pretty interesting. Your approach looks very similar to mine except I have a 4-step approach. Plus you make it look a lot better.

Re: My newest Videos - 05/17/11 10:09 AM

Originally Posted By: D-Money
WOW, that is pretty interesting. Your approach looks very similar to mine except I have a 4-step approach. Plus you make it look a lot better.

Thank you very much D-Money, this has been a project for the last five years so its definitely nice to see some improvement. That is my favorite part of video work is I can compare my game over the time and as I make changes. My overall style still looks similar but the suttle differences are what has pushed me from a 180 average to the 230 I am at now.
Posted by: Rocket

Re: My newest Videos - 05/17/11 12:28 PM

Looks pretty good SK, and I am glad I gave this a view I noticed in my own video I had almost zero spine tilt in my approach and added some in my last practice not knowing if that was a good thing or not but the feel and results were pretty good now I see it is a good thing. Thanks coach Jim for the article

Re: My newest Videos - 05/17/11 03:08 PM

If anyone wants a copy, just pm me your email address and I will forward it to you.
Posted by: ijohn83

Re: My newest Videos - 05/17/11 04:13 PM

[quote=sk8shorty01
Thanks for the input John, I appreciate it. Your "coaching" eye is definitely getting stronger as I have noticed you have found things that could be altered in quite a few videos. Sometimes seeing things from the settee area while someone else is bowling teaches you as much about your own game as physically bowling does. Keep it up! [/quote]

Thanks!

The thing that stood out the most for me in your Video is your step before your slide. It is dead in front of your left foot like it should be. Mine is 2.5 boards right of my left foot & I finish 2.5 boards into my swing. I have wanted to fix that in me for a long time. I think I am too high or something for the right balance to do that correctly - working on it.

Also, I have been practicing pushing out 5 boards inside my target to get use to letting the ball swing back straight instead of wrap behind my back. It felt so bad at first doing this that I almost quit it, but it is now feeling much more natural.

~ John

Re: My newest Videos - 05/18/11 10:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Steven Stroud
here's that article you mentioned. Its good material.
The swing slot revisited

Has anyone else opened up the article? Is it just me or does it seem that the columns don't mesh up? I cannot seem to figure out how to read this thing. Everything seems like it didn't upload correctly or something because I cannot make complete sentences at the bottom of any page or the end of any column no matter what I try to match it up to.

Anyone notice this?
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: My newest Videos - 05/19/11 12:47 AM

Opens up just fine for me. Which browser?

Re: My newest Videos - 05/19/11 07:25 AM

Originally Posted By: General Pounder
Opens up just fine for me. Which browser?

The actual link seems to work fine but on the article page their is a "download pdf" link and if you open that it seems to lose some text as well as jumble it around some.

I have tried both firefox and IE with no luck. I was still able to read it on the regular page, it was just the downloading of the article as a pdf that didn't seem to work.
Posted by: Time-To-Roll

Re: My newest Videos - 05/19/11 11:10 AM

I know, my pdf does the same thing. I think the concept is good.
It ties in with Rob Mautner article.