iconz Bowling as of March 2010

Posted by: iconz116

iconz Bowling as of March 2010 - 03/24/10 12:26 PM

Hi everybody,

Here is a video of me bowling. I personally feel I have come a pretty long way from where I used to be (I will post links to old videos). Although, I am not where I WANT to be... Where I am today is the result of watching videos of myself and trying to fix what I see on my own. I feel that I have plateaued and would like the help of you all now!

I have recently visited a gold level coach last week and we worked out a ball fit issue which has helped me come out of the ball much cleaner. As of right now he is having me work on my swing plane (it goes to the left a good bit) and my pushaway (wants me to sort of unravel my elbow forward and down rather than push up and out). Regarding my swing plane, he put a video of me beside Kelly Kulick and showed me that it was ok to have and it will be hard to remove fully from my game. But he wants me to make it less drastic I suppose.

As far as my release, he told me that I uncup much too early and if I can hold the cup longer I will have more rpms. But he does not want me to focus on that right now.

But I personally I want to improve my release. In my setup, I put my hand in a strong position and it stays throughout the upswing, but as soon as it begins coming down, I notice (in the videos, I cannot feel it) that my hand is already away from that position. I also notice that at the release point, my wrist is completely broken. I have tried working on keeping my hand behind the ball, and I really feel like I do, but as soon as I watch the video, I am lost!

Average speed is 15.5mph, rev rate I have estimated to be around 230-240~, although I am unsure. I am open to any and all suggestions regarding anything about my game. Please help me! What style of bowler would I be considered as?

Thanks!

Posted by: cgeorg

Re: iconz Bowling as of March 2010 - 03/24/10 12:55 PM

Is this video pre or post gold coach/ball fit fix?

Re: iconz Bowling as of March 2010 - 03/24/10 01:17 PM

2 days after.

Re: iconz Bowling as of March 2010 - 03/24/10 01:20 PM

The photobucket is the new video. I am going to remove the old ones as they are not necessary. But i cannot edit my original post.

Edit* Thank you for removing the video mod.

The coach actually looked at my thumb and noticed it was not oval all the way down, but rather a cone shape where it gets wider at the base. So he 'coned' out my straight down oval hole at the top. He also commented that he thinks I have too much forward pitch at 3/8".
Posted by: whiz

Re: iconz Bowling as of March 2010 - 03/24/10 04:40 PM

Only thing I see is that your whole approach drifts left. On at least the last step(your slide) you want it to be directly infront of the 3rd step so you do not lose leverage and power.

We bowl about the same stats wise tho my rev rate may be a touch higher...

Re: iconz Bowling as of March 2010 - 03/25/10 09:49 AM

thanks for the response whiz. any tips other than just trying to be conscious of where i step? i saw your videos and im pretty sure your rate is more than just a bit higher than mine.

can anybody else chime in?
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: iconz Bowling as of March 2010 - 03/26/10 09:18 AM

Originally Posted By: whiz
Only thing I see is that your whole approach drifts left. On at least the last step(your slide) you want it to be directly infront of the 3rd step so you do not lose leverage and power.

Great catch, as your approach can drift left, but the slide should always be back at you intended target line.

Re: iconz Bowling as of March 2010 - 03/26/10 03:19 PM

alright. i will work on that. any tips to help fix that? in what way does this effect my game?

is there anything else you notice? cgeorg did you notice anything?

should i get different views or slow motion them?

Re: iconz Bowling as of March 2010 - 03/26/10 05:40 PM

Heading out for the weekend, I'll take a look when I get back...

Re: iconz Bowling as of March 2010 - 03/26/10 07:48 PM

Its just a process man, gotta take baby steps. Im trying to fix my approach myself(I also drift left but I slide back right) and I have been doing alot of practice taking my steps without a ball in addition to with the ball. you have to move slow to help change your muscle memory but dont try to control your swing too much....

Re: iconz Bowling as of March 2010 - 03/26/10 08:01 PM

This is the greatest video I have seen on the approach in general. may help somewhat...

Re: iconz Bowling as of March 2010 - 03/28/10 10:11 PM

I notice some inconsistencies in pushaway and release. It looked in a couple of the back views like the ball didn't fall freely from the pushaway - the side video did look ok though. If you work on the hinge it should help to make sure the ball starts freely.

It seemed that half of your shots were grabbed a bit, and half weren't. The first closeup, for instance, did not get to the lane smoothly, but the 2nd one did. The second one was better - let the ball roll off your hand like that.

Re: iconz Bowling as of March 2010 - 04/02/10 12:31 PM

Whiz, that is a great video. Thanks for posting it.

CG, Yeah the coach actually just changed that, I used to push up and out more rather than just trying to unravel the elbow. I feel that the swing is free, I will try to be more relaxed. I will try to work on the hinge more. Thanks!

How is the release? Or should I worry about that later?

I havnt been able to practice until yesterday and I was working on the hinge and not crossing my second step over my first as much. I didnt have a camera so Im not sure if I was getting my powerstep under me, or my slide in front of my powerstep.

I have an Easter Tournament tomorrow and Sunday. Hopefully I do well!