please comment !

Posted by: Vini

please comment ! - 02/04/10 04:46 PM

Posted by: CoachJim

Re: please comment ! - 02/04/10 05:09 PM

Sorry it is too dark to make much out of your vid. I need to see you from head to toe, from start to finish from behind and from the side.

Re: please comment ! - 02/05/10 04:24 AM

thnx for the corrections !

Next time I will post my vids within specifications.
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: please comment ! - 02/05/10 09:39 AM

I agree it would be best if we could see your entire body throughout the shot. The problem is that right now we could see a few things but not know whats causing them because we cannot see what is happening at the beginning of the video.

I will say of the parts I can see your game looks pretty fluid. Not a lot of extra movements.

Re: please comment ! - 02/09/10 02:34 PM

Here are videos within specifications:

SHOOT !!!

Re: please comment ! - 02/09/10 02:45 PM

I don't see too much wrong from behind, I think you would benefit from more knee bend into the slide, this would allow you to get more power behind your shots.

Shoot some from the side so I can check your timing.

Re: please comment ! - 02/09/10 03:59 PM

I agree, not a whole lot from behind.

Quick note: On your last video watch your hand. It wraps around the ball and causes you to miss slightly inside of your target down lane. It also causes the ball to read the backends more violently and pushes it across the face.

Compare that shot with your 4th shot, you can see you come around it quite a bit more in that last shot.
Posted by: trekguy

Re: please comment ! - 02/09/10 05:15 PM

At first, I was going to say that your timing may be a bit late as your push away goes up and out some, and you take four steps, so ideally the ball would be falling towards the approach as your first step hits the approach. But, your steps are fairly slow, so it gives time for the swing to happen... and it doesn't appear that you are pulling it to get the swing through. That would be something to consider if you notice yourself pulling the ball, or if your arm/shoulder start feeling tired. Nice, smooth shot. Agree with CoachJim, a little more knee bend would give you a better feel on the release.
Posted by: ijohn83

Re: please comment ! - 02/10/10 02:20 AM

Your swing plane is off, the ball wraps behind your back.

~ John

Re: please comment ! - 02/10/10 05:17 AM

Thank you all guys !

Notes taken.
I will try to reflect them on my game.
Tomorrow afternoon I will post video from side.
Hopefully from front also, if the center guys will let me put the camera down the lane.

Re: please comment ! - 02/10/10 07:11 AM

John it is hard to tell if the swing is off line with the camera angle, it looks to me to be fairly straight, might be off a little, but not much.

To tell for sure you need to have the camera in line with the bowler's head, and target line. This is why it is important to have a practice partner to hold the camera at the proper angles.
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: please comment ! - 02/10/10 07:55 AM

He is also playing a line with a bit of a swing and his body is slightly angled which gives the illusion of the ball going behind his back. It does look like it's behind the head in line with the line he is playing, and since he is leaning slightly to the left to allow for an unobstructed swing plane it's all good.

Re: please comment ! - 02/11/10 02:38 PM

As promised, here are videos from both sides.
I am sorry if you cannot see everything but this was the best angle I could get today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wQvJO2uZnc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xkkm4qubho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI_ZTlPdLLo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puI6ZPKgudQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us4lLDk5t-k

I have to say in advance that I don't like my finishing position and release power that I have. Anyway,

PLEASE SHOOT !!!

Re: please comment ! - 02/11/10 02:43 PM

So what is it about your finishing position that you do not like?

Re: please comment ! - 02/11/10 02:49 PM

I don't really know man, but when I see Rhino Page get that powerful finish and than I see my lousy finish, I don't like it much. I hope I will improve it

Re: please comment ! - 02/11/10 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Vini
I don't really know man, but when I see Rhino Page get that powerful finish and than I see my lousy finish, I don't like it much. I hope I will improve it

What about Mike Scroggins, he is a PBA bowler as well and doesn't have a Rhino Page type of finish.

Re: please comment ! - 02/11/10 03:00 PM

I don't know man, just a personal preference.
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: please comment ! - 02/11/10 03:15 PM

Despite Rhino's success on the lanes both on the Tour and before he joined the PBA, I wouldn't want to model my game after him. He uses quite a bit of muscle and has some jerky actions. This can lead to some inconsistencies at release. How often have you seen him leave a washout or come in high and hard when the game was close?
Scroggins has a pretty solid stroker style physical game that is pretty fluent. He rarely gives the pocket away, sure he might not carry every shot but he lives in the pocket. Scroggins also tends to be overlooked and not really respected by many because of his lack of throwing the big hooking hard hitting shot, but you can't argue with his success on Tour and outside of it. Patrick Allen actually falls in between.

Jason Couch is probably the best of all worlds as a lefty. He has power but he also has a some what loose armswing.
Posted by: 10PinGaloot

Re: please comment ! - 02/11/10 03:17 PM

I am really impressed, Vini. Congratulations on having such fine form, especially this early in your career.

Re: please comment ! - 02/11/10 03:39 PM

Quote:
I am really impressed, Vini. Congratulations on having such fine form, especially this early in your career.

Me too, how long have you been bowling?

Believe me there aren't many bowlers that I don't see something glaring wrong, and you seem to be in great shape.
Posted by: JackZ

Re: please comment ! - 02/11/10 03:42 PM

I'm impressed too. Armswing looks loose. I can't tell from the vids what your release looks like. You'd need move the camera back for a better angle.

Re: please comment ! - 02/11/10 04:43 PM

I agree, I think you are not giving yourself enough credit. Your game looks pretty solid and I don't think I would look to change much. I think just solidifying what you already have is where you need to look into. Just becoming more precise, more crisp, and more repetitive so you can be the same smooth bowler every single shot.
Posted by: cgeorg

Re: please comment ! - 02/11/10 05:59 PM

And, adding to what sk8 said, adding versatility. If you want to learn to bowl on different conditions (not sure how much variety you have there), learn to change axis rotation, tilt, speed, etc.
Posted by: Jay R.

Re: please comment ! - 02/12/10 01:59 AM

It appears to me that you push the ball away later than recommended. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I'm just pointing out that I'm amazed at how smooth you are since you (appear to) do that.
Posted by: 10PinGaloot

Re: please comment ! - 02/12/10 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Amateur
It appears to me that you push the ball away later than recommended. I'm not saying this is a bad thing....
You're right! Vini holds the ball at arms length on the first step, then simply drops it into the swing on the second step, thus eliminating the need for a pushaway on the first step. Very much like my wife's 3-step approach....

Re: please comment ! - 02/12/10 06:08 AM

Thanks to all of you guys !

Honestly I was not expecting such good comments!

So:
I have been bowling for like a year or so.
Since I don't get a chance to see a coach, I have been practicing on myself. I have killed my game so many times, changing this trying to achieve that. And now that you guys say that you like my game, somehow I can't believe it.

I am aware of my first step. I am working on that.
But actually I feel more comfortable to hold the ball low-low (like Page) and than raise it. It is not that I am copying him, but this is a tendency of my body. Plus I can really aim better to my target when I raise with both my arms and than drop it into the swing. But when I do that the ball speed is higher and I cannot compensate in revs.
So I am struggling between hinge pushaway and this low-high pushaway. Or maybe I will learn them both.
Next time I go to practise I will post a video with this pushaway.
And you are so right about becoming versatile. I will work on that as soon as I & my muscle memory solidify what I have.

Thnx again for the help !

Re: please comment ! - 02/12/10 07:31 AM

Quote:
I will work on that as soon as I & my muscle memory solidify what I have.

That is the best advice anyone can give, get what you do down before trying more. Scroggins makes a hell of a living and has less hand than you, but you have better form, so don't try to tear the cover off the ball and stay with what you are doing and you will be fine.

Being left handed it is advantageous to learn to play different break point distances down lane without changing your stance or target you can do this by learning to reach down lane farther or shorter, or aiming farther down lane or closer too you. This is why you rarely see left handers move, because they don't have to if they can master playing different break point distances off the same line.

Re: please comment ! - 02/12/10 08:15 AM

CoachJim !

You are a goldmine to me!
I have never considered this (to move the breakpoint up-down on the same board). Even if I don't know how to do it or if I will be able to do it.
I think you have the rare ability to explain a lot in few words.

PS: I think you are over-evaluating me. I don't feel I am that good