Cell vs Cell Pearl Video

Posted by: Jmartin27407

Cell vs Cell Pearl Video - 01/20/10 07:26 PM

We wanted to experiment with some comparison videos for the 2010 releases so we decided to do this video to see how it would look.
The layouts are missing on the videos.. On the Cell it is 65x4x50, on the Cell Pearl 55x5x50. Thanks again to Matt Giangarra for doing these videos.

Posted by: cgeorg

Re: Cell vs Cell Pearl Video - 01/20/10 08:52 PM

The lane-level view didn't really do anything for me. I'd like it if the views from above were both positioned in the same place - the different angle makes it a bit harder to tell the difference. I'd also like to see an overlay of some sort - it was hard to tell on each shot where each ball hit the arrows, since my eyes had to focus on 2 places at once.

Re: Cell vs Cell Pearl Video - 01/21/10 08:50 AM

Originally Posted By: cgeorg
The lane-level view didn't really do anything for me. I'd like it if the views from above were both positioned in the same place - the different angle makes it a bit harder to tell the difference. I'd also like to see an overlay of some sort - it was hard to tell on each shot where each ball hit the arrows, since my eyes had to focus on 2 places at once.

Thanks for the input.. This was definitely experimental.. I think the camera angles were why we couldn't do a overlay, it just wouldn't match up.. Funny part is I don't remember moving the camera lol. WOuld you like the lane level view if it was done in a overlay format?

Re: Cell vs Cell Pearl Video - 01/21/10 09:03 AM

I think the reason I didn't like the lane-level view as much is that I couldn't tell how far down the lane was when the ball moved. I don't know that it would be helped by an overlay. That's not to say it isn't a cool shot - I love taking lane level views of my own shots. I just don't think it really helps evaluate the ball motion.
Posted by: spectral

Re: Cell vs Cell Pearl Video - 01/21/10 09:15 AM

i had trouble seeing the difference as well, to me it almost looked like the motion was practically the same, alltho i know that can't be the case.

oh and btw, i love that release wink
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: Cell vs Cell Pearl Video - 01/21/10 09:58 AM

I like the concept, its a great idea just needs a few tweaks and I think you will have a very nice video up there. I will agree with the camera angle from above although I know you said it must have been a mistake because you don't remember moving the camera at all.

Maybe a way to get around the not being able to tell how far down the lane the ball is on the lane level views is to have the video do a "stutter" type pause at the arrows, 35 feet and 40 feet or something like that. I am sure someone could modify this idea and improve on it, just a thought.

Thanks for the new videos Jimmy, oh and I talked to Ron about ordering some more Magic Carpet and he said you should carry some in your shop. He told me to let you know smile .
Posted by: 10PinGaloot

Re: Cell vs Cell Pearl Video - 01/21/10 10:05 AM

Originally Posted By: spectral
i had trouble seeing the difference as well, to me it almost looked like the motion was practically the same, alltho i know that can't be the case.
ditto that.

Originally Posted By: spectral
oh and btw, i love that release wink
So smooth and consistent! When will we get to see it in slow-mo?

Re: Cell vs Cell Pearl Video - 01/21/10 10:28 AM

Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01

Maybe a way to get around the not being able to tell how far down the lane the ball is on the lane level views is to have the video do a "stutter" type pause at the arrows, 35 feet and 40 feet or something like that. I am sure someone could modify this idea and improve on it, just a thought. .

That is not a bad idea at all.. might look into that.

Thanks everyone for the input, it has been very helpful.

Re: Cell vs Cell Pearl Video - 01/21/10 10:44 AM

Another thing I have seen on someone's videos (maybe Buddie's) was colored tape on some portion of the lane (I think it was on the ball return cover) that showed the different sections of the breakpoint. If you could get a good shot of the breakpoint, with distances of, say, 37, 40, 43, 46, and 49 feet marked, it would really help see the difference in ball length and breakpoint shape. Especially if, when comparing 2 balls, you get lined up with each, and then throw each ball on each line. So Cell Pearl on its strike line, and original on its strike line. Then, the original on its strike line, followed by the Cell Pearl on that line. With the marked distances, it would be easier for a bowler to recognize the differences.

If you have the ability at the lanes, seeing the balls on different shots (sport?) in addition to the house shot would also be good - some balls, like light or heavy oil balls, just don't show their full capabilities on a THS. I do like what you have done showing different releases - as someone who likes to use releases as an adjustment, it's nice to see how a ball takes to changes in axis rotation, etc.
Posted by: mattyg3535

Re: Cell vs Cell Pearl Video - 01/23/10 08:51 PM

OK Guys. I hear you. I put this together from leftover videos. We shot it from the upper view then the lower view. We then switched balls and did it again. Didn't intend on doing an overlay or even a comparison. Like your feedback though. Will use the left lane for now so I can mark the gutter cap for length. On the lower videos I am going to do a stro-motion type of shot. The upper and lower shot will be in regular speed then slow motion. The shot will have a ball left behind at the arrows, the break point and then in the pin deck on the back row. As far as the upper shots. Thinking about using a "scripted" shot method. Every video will use the same "script". Example is a shot from feet-15 eyes-15, feet-20 eyes 15, feet-25 eyes-20....... You get it? Leave it up to Jimmy as far as the script. I feel by doing this you can "see" what every future ball will do compared to every other ball by comparing the scripts (as long as the lane conditions are the same). Also am going to try a reverse overlay. Want the release point and the break point to be the same. Not expecting to show a lot of strikes in our videos but ball motion instead. Think it can be appreciated more and it also help you compare balls even if they are not in the video. Still learning so cut me a little slack, give me some feed back (gently) and enjoy.
P.S. Hope to shoot a good release video of Jimmy and post it soon. He has been VERY BUSY at the shop. Thanks for the support and your patients.

Matthew

Re: Cell vs Cell Pearl Video - 01/24/10 02:14 PM

That scripted approach sounds great. I think your approach of focusing on ball motion instead of strikes is what is missing in the ball comparison videos we see. Brunswick has started doing this for their videos, and I think they are the best of what's out there for now. I think that if you do the things you're describing here you'll be a cut above even those.
Posted by: mattyg3535

Re: Cell vs Cell Pearl Video - 01/24/10 03:56 PM

Thanks! Just need the next release from Roto Grip and we can get started. I am getting the Reign of Fire this week. Maybe I will try to shoot a video of me. I suck compared to Jimmy but it would be fun anyway. Reign vs. Reign of Fire????

Re: Cell vs Cell Pearl Video - 01/24/10 04:18 PM

That would be a good comparison. I'd also like to see Reign vs. TRoad Pearl, and Reign of Fire vs. TRoad Solid. Same covers, different cores. Throw in a Fast and a Furious for good measure.
Posted by: flybub

Re: Cell vs Cell Pearl Video - 01/26/10 07:25 PM

That's a good vid. I'm waiting on the Nomad vs Nomad Pearl. I am considering getting the solid but my Mutant is working out so dang good for me I don't know if I need it. Mutant for first game and a half then I go to my Cell Pearl for the rest. 40' THS on synthetic and I haven't shot under 730 in the last 3 weeks (bowling 2 leagues a week).