ijohn83 Practice Vid (01-05-10)

Posted by: ijohn83

ijohn83 Practice Vid (01-05-10) - 01/06/10 02:19 PM

A quick update from yesterday's practice before I go bowl for the online league.

I like my front view better than my back view. It looks like my arm is loosening up some.

Off to bowl. Wish me luck Team 10

~ John
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: ijohn83 Practice Vid (01-05-10) - 01/06/10 02:48 PM

Starting to look better, although you still throw the ball better at spares than you do at a full rack. Watch the tape on the ball so you can see the rotation. At the end of the video when you shoot at the 6-10 the ball looks good, reads the lane well and drives through the pins. Same with your 4-9 shot, both have good axis of rotation, matching speed and revs and are clean off the hand. On your full rack shots you will notice that the axis of rotation is cut down, revs are similar but the speed looks much faster. I believe the axis of rotation is lower because ther eis still some forcing in the downswing so your hand is leaking slightly to the outside and does not have enough room to add rotation.

Everything is looking much better, just keep working, it is slowly getting there but hey, "Rome wasn't built in a day!"

Re: ijohn83 Practice Vid (01-05-10) - 01/06/10 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: TenPin_
I always calculate revs off your hand, not what the ball does when it revs up downlane. I used 3 different methods to come up with the numbers and each came out a little different which is why I gave a range. I used both the Bowlspot.com calculators and another method I read about in BTM or BJI (how many hours did the tape move in 10 frames, multiply by 15).

And again, given the less than optimal video, my numbers could be (probably are) off a bit.

If you guys still have your RPM calculators out, I wouldn't mind having an idea of my RPM's.

~ John
Posted by: spectral

Re: ijohn83 Practice Vid (01-05-10) - 01/06/10 04:58 PM

if you ever see that big light bulb on how to really add rotation and more of a hook be sure to tell me.

Cause i seem to be suffering from the same symptoms as you
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: ijohn83 Practice Vid (01-05-10) - 01/06/10 05:21 PM

Hey man, there is 12 inches of snow on the ground. The temp is +12. My car is stuck in the driveway. The mailman can't get to our mailbox. And, we are expecting 8+ inches of more snow tonight.

You ask me to look at a video. And, you have the nerve to make a video wearing shorts? On 1/5/10, yet.
Some guys have nerve.

Re: ijohn83 Practice Vid (01-05-10) - 01/06/10 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
Hey man, there is 12 inches of snow on the ground. The temp is +12. My car is stuck in the driveway. The mailman can't get to our mailbox. And, we are expecting 8+ inches of more snow tonight.

You ask me to look at a video. And, you have the nerve to make a video wearing shorts? On 1/5/10, yet.
Some guys have nerve.

But our state is broke! You need a good freeze now and again to keep people honest!

~ John

Re: ijohn83 Practice Vid (01-05-10) - 01/06/10 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: spectral
if you ever see that big light bulb on how to really add rotation and more of a hook be sure to tell me.

Cause i seem to be suffering from the same symptoms as you

I'm not there yet, but I think its all about your back angle so the thumb can come out at the right time, also, not topping and not turning the release.

~ John
Posted by: Rocket

Re: ijohn83 Practice Vid (01-05-10) - 01/06/10 07:35 PM

Yeah, IJohn wish I was growing as fast as you,keep up the good work
Posted by: spr3wr

Re: ijohn83 Practice Vid (01-05-10) - 01/06/10 09:11 PM

I had mention on one of your earlier video that you have release the ball and your still sliding. Instead of dropping the ball into the swing, push more away from your body. This way the ball gets to the release point later.
Posted by: CoachJim

Re: ijohn83 Practice Vid (01-05-10) - 01/06/10 10:20 PM

Your elbow is away from your body on the down swing. This is being caused by your right shoulder lifting up and through the release this is pulling your arm away from your body in the down swing. Stop trying to control the life out of the ball, you can't force the ball to do what you want, you have to be patient and just let it happen. The phrase "Trust is a must or your game is a bust" is referring to this very thing. What causes a lack of trust is bowling with your eyes, seeing the target line and what you are wanting the ball to do and not having the confidence in it to allow it to do it, so you force it to do what you want and thus kill any chance of it happening for you.

What is the answer? Close your eyes when the ball gets to the top of the back swing and don't open them until the ball is off your hand. This will shut off the inner control freak and allow you to just let it happen. Just realize that once you put the ball in motion, your part in it's travel down the lane is over.

Re: ijohn83 Practice Vid (01-05-10) - 01/07/10 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: spr3wr
This way the ball gets to the release point later.

That has been what I've wanted for quite a while now but my brain "controls" my poor timing no mater what I do to delay it.

Originally Posted By: CoachJim
Close your eyes when the ball gets to the top of the back swing and don't open them until the ball is off your hand. This will shut off the inner control freak and allow you to just let it happen. Just realize that once you put the ball in motion, your part in it's travel down the lane is over.

Looks like blind bowling tomorrow!

~ John
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: ijohn83 Practice Vid (01-05-10) - 01/07/10 09:22 AM

I agree with CoachJim. I use "blind" bowling quite frequently to find miscues in my game. I actually even use it in league if I start missing my target, gripping the ball, or falling off the shot I just do one shot eyes closed and I am back in business.

You will notice that with your eyes closed you hit your mark quite often, actually probably as much as you do with them open. After a while you will begin to see by feeling rather than seeing by looking. You will begin to know you missed inside even before you open your eyes, you can feel different release points and you might even begin to call out pins you will leave as the ball comes off the hand.

This game is about feeling, and what better way to train you to feel than to make your body feel because it can't see anymore.