There you go!

Posted by: 10PinGaloot

There you go! - 10/04/09 10:01 AM

In the past two weeks, about 10 checkout clerks have handed me my receipt and said "There you go." Now, it seems to me that this takes longer to say than "thank you" so I don't think they're doing it to save time. They actually mean "I'm doing you a service and here's the proof."

It's weird in that it started just recently and suddenly spread like wildfire here in Southern California. I still say "thank you", of course, since I've been saying it all my life.

After I say thank you, the clerk sometimes says thank you, sometimes says have a nice day. But they will never say "there you go. thank you. have a nice day." So something is lost in this exchange. Something I really miss - the fact that the clerk genuinely wants and appreciates my business. Of course, they don't They just want a paycheck.

Weird. If you're east of L.A., look for this new fact of life sometime in the coming years....

Posted by: JackZ

Re: There you go! - 10/04/09 01:15 PM

Maybe you just ran into a bunch of folks that love Blue collar comedy. "You can cover just about anything with here you are and there ya go!" smile
Posted by: TheDemolitionMan

Re: There you go! - 10/04/09 04:01 PM

Well it's something you noticed in this age where people feel that they (the sales clerks in this case) deserve things, such as praise, whether they do a good job or not. Which in turn relates back to everyone wanting to do everything and go everywhere at once. It's not just in SoCal mate, it's everywhere (that isn't a mom and pop shop). It's a live to work thing and not a work to live thing. seeingstars nut
Posted by: Joe Bowler

Re: There you go! - 10/04/09 07:49 PM

What bugs me is when cashiers don't even look at you. Some of them will even attempt to hand you your change while they are looking somewhere else, or talking to somebody else. At least, "There you go" acknowledges your existence.
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: There you go! - 10/04/09 08:02 PM

I hear the occasional "There you go" from cashiers, but I don't think it's the norm around me. I guess it just depends on the cashier since in the same store I'll get several different ending of transaction phrases.
Posted by: Atochabsh

Re: There you go! - 10/04/09 09:11 PM

I haven't heard that up here in the NorCal area.....yet. Some cashiers are not as polite overall but not the "here ya go".

I'd write to the manager of the store. Just a quick note to see if this is their policy to say this statement and how it made you feel like you were done a service now get out. Not a thank you for shopping at our store and spending money with us type of statement.

Erin

Re: There you go! - 10/04/09 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
I'd write to the manager of the store.

I had thought of that, but it has happened at Jack in the Box, Jons supermarket, Vons supermarket, Target... A general trend.

Maybe it's limited to Northridge/Chatsworth area. I just moved here temporarily until I can move to Vancouver with my family.

Hmmm. I hate to draw an inconclusive conclusion. What that be an inconclusion?

Posted by: General Pounder

Re: There you go! - 10/04/09 11:14 PM

I went into Walgreens the other night and was waiting in line behind a lady who was on the phone while she was checking out. She kept on with her conversation like the clerk wasn't even there. She actually sounded bothered by the clerk when she was handing her the receipt. I have worked in the service business before. If I was behind the counter and people kept acting the way people act towards the cashier the other day, I would probably say "there you go" a lot to people too.

Re: There you go! - 10/05/09 12:28 AM

Have fun in Vancouver. Wish I was there.

Erin
Posted by: SportBowler Joe

Re: There you go! - 10/05/09 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: SpareMe

I had thought of that, but it has happened at Jack in the Box, Jons supermarket, Vons supermarket, Target... A general trend.

Maybe it's limited to Northridge/Chatsworth area. I just moved here temporarily until I can move to Vancouver with my family.

Hmmm. I hate to draw an inconclusive conclusion. What that be an inconclusion?

Hmm, I live in Northridge and own a business here, but I never say "there you go" when someone pays their bill. Have not noticed yet at Target, Ralphs or Vons but I'll be aware of it next time I go to these stores.
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: There you go! - 10/05/09 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: General Pounder
I went into Walgreens the other night and was waiting in line behind a lady who was on the phone while she was checking out. She kept on with her conversation like the clerk wasn't even there. She actually sounded bothered by the clerk when she was handing her the receipt. I have worked in the service business before. If I was behind the counter and people kept acting the way people act towards the cashier the other day, I would probably say "there you go" a lot to people too.

I can't stand when people do that. I've been called a couple times while in drive thrus/lines and just don't feel right about answering the phone.
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: There you go! - 10/05/09 10:26 PM

Cal: If I get a phone call when I am in the store on my way to the check out, I tell them I will call them back. My wife does the same thing. It just isn't very courteous.

Re: There you go! - 10/06/09 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: SpareMe

I will have to disagree slightly with the general trend thing. Only because I work at Kohl's and know that we get our butts chewed if we did any of that and especially if the POS sups caught us. But then again, Kohl's is different from a lot of other stores. For instance, instead of "There you go," we have to take up extra time to point out our customer service survey so consumers can tell us where we need to do better.
Posted by: Tim Gerard

Re: There you go! - 10/06/09 02:17 PM

I hate it when you get this response from a clerk,...HUH?, or What? Now thats Classy..I was in a restuarant the other day and a waitress asked,..Wuddya want? Nice..
Posted by: sk8shorty01

Re: There you go! - 10/06/09 02:22 PM

I will also say it is rampant in the fast food market. For instance, constantly you hear over the menu speaker, "is that it?". When I was in high school and worked at McDonalds we would be hung if we said that, it was always "Can I get you anything else?", the other is just not a friendly, and is also not nearly as personal.
Posted by: VampyreBowler

Re: There you go! - 10/06/09 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
I will also say it is rampant in the fast food market. For instance, constantly you hear over the menu speaker, "is that it?". When I was in high school and worked at McDonalds we would be hung if we said that, it was always "Can I get you anything else?", the other is just not a friendly, and is also not nearly as personal.

Don't get me started on the fast food people nowadays.

Re: There you go! - 10/06/09 04:47 PM

I concur. Fast food clerks really grind my gears nowadays.
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: There you go! - 10/06/09 06:32 PM

Hey, I got a "there you go" today at the Target store. Hadn't noticed it before, so I asked the cashier why she said that. She said she was just being nice. It wasn't a Company thing, just the way she was.

Now, get those old people away from me. You know, the greeters. I don't trust them. Those.... 'Welcome to whatever' people. I know what store I'm in. Sometimes I wonder if they know what store they're in. I guess they are too old to stock shelves. Too impersonal to take care of Customers. And, can't add any more to be a cashier.

Hey, the cash register tells you what change to give. People don't have to subtract.

And, those self check out counters. It's a cost savings to the store. So, why didn't the prices come down? I refuse to use them too. Pay the people!!

Re: There you go! - 10/06/09 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: TheDemolitionMan
I concur. Fast food clerks really grind my gears nowadays.

I did my time there...5 1/2 years...though I would not get promoted.... had long hair and wore earrings

Re: There you go! - 10/06/09 10:47 PM

Greeters at stores. Imo I think they're hired by corporations to show "We're fair to old people, we don't discriminate...see?" Walmart has a heart;)
Posted by: mikhial66

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 12:13 AM

They're actually hired by corporations to suspect every one of stealing.
Posted by: sharnothegreat

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 01:40 AM

you were in high school only 6 years ago, times cant be that different between now and then. as long as i have known, majority of people in fast food places dont give a crap about anything, especially the people in taco bell that could never get my order right !! LOL

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 06:48 AM

Quote:
especially the people in taco bell that could never get my order right !! LOL

Now that's another topic isn't it? I don't know about other locations but here, nearly 100% of the fast food employees are hispanic and seem to speak no English. Therefore they probably do not read English either. Resulting in putting orders together that in no way co inside with whatever you've ordered. But the entire restaurant seems to know that you will not bring back food if you were in the drive through, so no need to be specific in what they give the customer.

Erin

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 08:06 AM

Sorry guys, but I wouldn't know a Burrito from an enchilada; or a tortilla from a taco.
It's all the same to me. I wouldn't know if my order was right or wrong, unless I looked at a picture.

I even had to use spell check for 2 of those names. PS: I got Taco right.

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 09:09 AM

I thrive on Mexican food. Here in Ohio, outside of Taco Bell, all the Mexican restaurants have Mexican help and as far as I've seen they speak decent English for it being their 2nd language.

Well here ya are ....and there ya go! <g>
Posted by: dante21

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 09:25 AM

I'll only respond to the annoying cell phone users. I used to work customer service for about 7 years. Everything from wal-mart, to being a server/bartender at applebees for 2 years. When I'm on my phone and I get to the register, I'll tell the person on the line to hold on a sec, put them on hold and put the phone into my pocket. I always say thank you, and show some appreciation due to I know the people behind the counter are just trying to make a living on what most times is a [censored] wage.

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 09:36 AM

Quote:
especially the people in taco bell that could never get my order right !! LOL

Now that's another topic isn't it? I don't know about other locations but here, nearly 100% of the fast food employees are hispanic and seem to speak no English. Therefore they probably do not read English either. Resulting in putting orders together that in no way co inside with whatever you've ordered. But the entire restaurant seems to know that you will not bring back food if you were in the drive through, so no need to be specific in what they give the customer.

Erin

There is a Popeye's near to me that they have one register that is for spanish speaking only. If there is a line in the other and noone in the spanish line, they can't help you there unless you speak spanish. I won't start off on my normal tangent regarding this.

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 09:52 AM

Originally Posted By: sharnothegreat

you were in high school only 6 years ago, times cant be that different between now and then. as long as i have known, majority of people in fast food places dont give a crap about anything, especially the people in taco bell that could never get my order right !! LOL

Well I can say that I think a lot has changed in those few years.... Cell phones were monochrome with regular ring tones, not even the polyphonic ring tones yet. They surely weren't the real songs. They were the original nokias. There was no such thing as an IPOD, probably the biggest selling thing in the last decade. Texting was almost non-existant, etc. I bet I could think of a lot more if I really sat down and thought about it.

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 10:16 AM

Well, you have to live out where I live. We have dead zones where NO cell phones even work. Heck, the downtown area just got cable a year ago, and no hi speed internet there either, mostly dial up.

The Burgerking closed, so did the taco place. Breakfast is served starting at 5 am at two diners. But, they close after lunch. And, you have to get gravy on everything you order, from biscuits and gravy in the morning to hamburger and fries covered with beef gravy for lunch. Tough time buying a hot dog after 7, let alone any dinner. The place is really quiet after 7. Heck, the Funeral Home closed for lack of business.

Other than the HS football game, 6 weekends a year, there is really very little to do.

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 10:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
Well, you have to live out where I live. We have dead zones where NO cell phones even work. Heck, the downtown area just got cable a year ago, and no hi speed internet there either, mostly dial up.

The Burgerking closed, so did the taco place. Breakfast is served starting at 5 am at two diners. But, they close after lunch. And, you have to get gravy on everything you order, from biscuits and gravy in the morning to hamburger and fries covered with beef gravy for lunch. Tough time buying a hot dog after 7, let alone any dinner. The place is really quiet after 7. Heck, the Funeral Home closed for lack of business.

Other than the HS football game, 6 weekends a year, there is really very little to do.

I think I will stick to Cocoa Beach haha... No offense of course smile

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 10:32 AM

Didn't want to say this before, but the nearest thing to Taco places and Spanish speaking servers is the Alpaca farm across the road. They are native to South America.

Our normal greeting from merchants, which are very few here, is usually, 'have a nice day", as you leave. Kind of a warm feeling.

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 10:33 AM

Originally Posted By: VampyreBowler
... they can't help you there unless you speak spanish...

English should be the National Language. All education, legal documents, and government documents should be only in English. Immigrants need to learn our language. Sorry for the political rant, but I feel this strongly. I know US citizens who came from India, China, Vietnam, Lebanon, Israel, Egypt, Liberia, and other places, and they all speak English.

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 10:44 AM

I tend to agree with SpareMe on that, I don't mind if you want to speak another language to someone but please learn (or at least attempt) English. I know if I was to visit a foreign country I would at least attempt to speak in their native tongue.

I would just have a lot more patience with a spanish person that is attempting to speak English and asking goo questions as opposed to one that knows little to no English and doesn't seem to want to bother learning it. But thats just my opinion.

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 10:46 AM

... and by the way the Spanish person was simply an example, I am not going after the Spanish Herritage in any way smile .

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 10:51 AM

Its to the point here where you are at a disadvantage (I want to say discriminated against) if you DO NOT speak Spanish, especially in the job market. I have yet to see a job application for any good size business that does NOT ask you if you speak multiple languages. Many adds say "bi-lingual a must".

This has nothing with being polite or not. But I'm not as inclined to be polite myself when I cannot understand a word that's being said in the environment I'm in. McDonalds, Wal-Mart are the two that come to the top of my mind. I always say thank you for them bagging my purchases or handing me food. But I am put off when there is little to no English to hear in the place.

Erin

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 12:04 PM

I know what you're saying Erin. I work at a Kohl's near the Mexican border. Half of our customers, speak Spanishd and nothing else. I don't and my managers ride our butts about soliciting credit. Well I can't exactly do that with a language barrier. It's just a giant clusterf**k. They even offered a language course through Kohl's which I thought was cool and I asked about it. From what I can tell, it's only for managers which blows. I hate getting yelled at for not doing my job especially when I'm not given the tools to do my job. It's like painted a room without a brush or roller.

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 12:34 PM

Educators have pushed ESL training for the past decade. What's ESL? English Second Language.

Many immigrants come here with little knowledge of English. The predominant group happens to be Spanish speaking today in a lot of areas. But, In many pockets of Chicago, the predominant languages spoken are Eastern European, Polish, Slavic, and Russian as the biggest groups.

My wife teaches ESL in night school. And, these people crave to learn English so they can survive and be a part of the populace. My wife also says, English, as we speak it, is probably one of the top 2 or 3 most difficult languages to learn. Other languages don't deal with to-two-too.

I know in Chicago we don't have a bedroom. We say bedgerum. We don't have a front room, we have a frunchrum. Instead of 'did you eat', it is common to hear, Jeet. I can only imagine what an aspiring immigrant thinks. It can't be easy for any of them.

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 12:58 PM

I have absolutely no problem with teaching ESL, unless its in public schools during regular school hours integrated with English speaking kids. When I was looking for a school for a related kid to go to when she moved.....the scores for the overall competance of the school directly related to how many non English speaking kids were enrolled. The more non English speaking kids, the lower the score for the school. Studies show that teachers were having to take so much time with the non English speaking kids that the English speaking kids were not learning at the expected pace.

I think if you do not speak English and you want to live here in the US, then you should learn. Not the country bend over backwards to make everything multi linqual. Here's a quote from our CA DMV concerning what languages the driving test is in

"Besides English, the basic Class C written driver license exam is also available in the following languages:
Amharic, Arabic, Armenian, Cambodian, Chinese, Croatian, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Laotian, Persian/Farsi, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Samoan, Spanish, Tagalog/Filipino, Thai, Tongan, Turkish, and Vietnamese."

My point is if you cannot read English how are you going to read street signs? I'm not talking about yeild signs and stop signs but the really important ones like road closures, detours etc.....

Erin

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 12:58 PM

I agree with you Dennis that the slang within the English language probably takes up more of our vocabulary than regular English does in every day life. There are so many short hand words, words with multiple meanings (orange) and even words that people use with a second meaning as a slang term (thats COOL, she/he is HOT, that is BAD). Just adds to the confusion.

My wife is a teacher here in Florida and she is ESL certified and they are really pushing that with all of the education grads now. I know they had a lot of work that had to do with ESL "problems" all the time in their studies.
Posted by: Tim Gerard

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 01:42 PM

In my area we have a huge populace of Arabic speaking immigrants, and my local school district offers ESL. Erin is right too about the non english speaking students dragging down test scores. Its not that the schools is bad, or the teacher is incompetent..its the foriegn kids having trouble understanding the test to begin with. Getting them into an ESL class as soon as they arrive here is imperative.

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 02:27 PM

I was an ESL tutor for a little while, although I have no idea why. It must've been my extreme and exquisite skill with the english language seeingstars, because [email protected] sure don't speak another language. I understand its importance and do agree with a majority of what is being said. However, one thing I noticed is that the kids have to want to learn. A good bit of them hardly tried, and I'm not talking about the new students who hardly knew any of the language. I was more like a drill sergent or jail warden killing the party than anything else.

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 02:51 PM

I don't think its necessarily the non English speaking kids bringing down the test score, but rather they are taking time away from English speaking kids in the classroom. Therefore English speaking kids are not getting as good an education as they could given more attention from the teachers. There should be more teachers devoted to teaching the non English speaking kids maybe even seperate schools until they can competantly be integrated with the English speaking kids. I know its easier for kids to pick up a language then adults.

Erin
Posted by: sharnothegreat

Re: There you go! - 10/07/09 03:12 PM

well i was one of the ones who did go back when going through the drive thru because i could not eat it with the stuff i requested to be left off LOL

ans Sk8 i didnt mean times in general obviously this topic has nothing to do with technology or electronics so why would you even go there. i was talking about the attitude and carelessness of people in the fast food restaurants....... come on!

Re: There you go! - 10/08/09 10:08 AM

Originally Posted By: sharnothegreat
well i was one of the ones who did go back when going through the drive thru because i could not eat it with the stuff i requested to be left off LOL

ans Sk8 i didnt mean times in general obviously this topic has nothing to do with technology or electronics so why would you even go there. i was talking about the attitude and carelessness of people in the fast food restaurants....... come on!

I was simply pointing out that things can change quite fast over a short time. I know the one thing that the supervisors stressed more than anything was customer service and what you should be saying and all that good stuff. We would constantly have a supervisor with a headset on listening to us in the drive thru and you would get reprimanded if you ever said "is that it..."

That was my point, we were not allowed to do it then, I am suprised they are allowed now.

Re: There you go! - 10/08/09 10:46 AM

Well, at any rate, I still have the problem, so what I've decided to say is "Yessiree!".

BTW if anyone thought this is a generational thing, I had a 70-year-old woman say it to me yesterday. And that was after I prepped her to be polite by starting the transaction with "Hi, how are you?" to which she said "fine" and then proceeded to not say "thank you" or "have a nice day" but the usual "there you go!" So if it's agism due to my white beard, then 70-year-olds practice agism. If it's something kids pick up in high school, then this 70-year-old woman was recently in high school. I personally think it's a meme, which means it will spread across the country, just like grunge did.

It'll take me some time to get over my life-long habit of saying thank you, by which time I'll be back home in Washington, where they actually always say "Thank you, have a nice day", and then of course I'll have to unlearn my SoCal reply....

No, really, I love Southern California. The weather's great. Hiking on weekends.... The bowling is cheap.... Traffic is a nightmare, but hey, whatever.

I'll be so glad to be going home!