Hello New to the Forum!!!

Posted by: Anonymous

Hello New to the Forum!!! - 12/12/07 02:45 PM

Hello all new to this forum I found it on yahoo search or was it google but any way

a hardy hello all!!!!
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! - 12/12/07 02:49 PM

Welcome to the boards. What part of Illinois?
Posted by: silvercoachinhouston

Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! - 12/12/07 03:24 PM

Hello and welcome! Looking forward to your posts!
Posted by: Odyssey912

Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! - 12/12/07 03:28 PM

Hi there - Welcome to the boards :-)
Posted by: SoCal Jeff

Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! - 12/12/07 03:42 PM

Welcome to the site smile
Posted by: Dennis Michael

Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! - 12/12/07 04:40 PM

Hey Willard, I'm North of Chicago, where do you hail from.

Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! - 12/12/07 05:44 PM

in case many of you don't recognize it, here is some local Chicago slang that you should know.
> CHICAGO SLANG
>
> 1. Grachki (grach'-key): Chicagoese for "garage key" as in, "Yo,
> Theresa, waja do wit da grachki? How my supposta cut da grass if I don't
> git intada grach?"
>
> 2. Sammich: Chicagoese for sandwich. When made with sausage, it's a
> sassage sammich; when made with shredded beef, it's an Italian Beef
> sammich, a local delicacy consisting of piles of spicy meat in a
> perilously soggy bun.
>
> 3. Da: This article is a key part of Chicago speech, as in "Da Bears"
> or "Da Mare" -- the latter denoting Richard M. Daley, or Richie, as he's
> often called.
>
> 4. Jewels: Not family heirlooms or a tender body region, but a popular
> name for one of the region's dominant grocery store chains. "I'm goin'
> to the Jewels to pick up some sassage."
>
> 5. Field's: Marshall Field, a prominent Chicago department store. Now
> Macy's. Also Carson Pirie Scott, another major department store chain, is simply
> called " Cars on 's."
>
> 6. Tree: The number between two and four. "We were lucky dat we only
> got tree inches of snow da udder night."
>
> 7. Over by dere: Translates to "over by there," a way of emphasizing a
> site presumed familiar to the listener. As in, "I got the sassage at the
> Jewels down on Kedzie, over by dere."
>
> 8. Kaminski Park : The mispronounced name of the ballpark where the
> Chicago White Sox (da Sox) play baseball. Comiskey Park was renamed U.S.
> Cellular Field (da Cell)
>
> 9. Frunchroom: As in, "Get outta da frunchroom wit dose muddy shoes."
> It's not the "parlor." It's not the "living room." In the land of the
> bungalow, it's the "frunchroom," a named derived, linguists believe,
> from "front room."
>
> 10. Use: Not the verb, but the plural pronoun 'you!' "Where use
> goin'?"

Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! - 12/12/07 06:00 PM

Dennis, as you know, I am in college studing to become a Sign Language Interpreter. I study language every day, and I must say, your CHICAGO SLANG post is too funny, lol. Any Chicago Bowling Slang?
Posted by: Calvin Pistorio

Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! - 12/12/07 06:45 PM

Welcome Willard. Thats how I pretty much found this site as well as the other ones I looked at for bowling had either too much fighting between people that just didn't like each other, or too much spam [censored] posts. I'm glad I did as I'm sure you will.

Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! - 12/12/07 11:52 PM

Silvercoach, growing up in Chicago, I never noticed the local slang. After I went away to College and spent a little time in the military, I returned and couldn't understand anyone.
The most common Chicago colloquialism is what I intentionally said in My first sentence to Willard. Chicagoans always end a sentence with a preposition. Just trying to make him feel at home.

Welcome, again, Willard. Now, where ya from? Da Burbs? Nort or Sout side? Oh yeah, we drop the H's on those too.
Posted by: Tim Gerard

Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! - 12/13/07 08:44 AM

Welcome Willard,
Dive in. smile
Posted by: General Pounder

Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! - 12/13/07 09:45 AM

The funny thing about the slang terms that Dennis said is that people who live/grew up around Comisky Park talk like that. My wife grew up 10 minutes from there and my best friend around the corner. He says those kind of things all of the time.

Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! - 12/13/07 12:07 PM

You're right GP. And, the strangest thing is that you don't notice it while you live 'over by dere'. But, going away and returning was a culture shock. For me 'anyways'.

All of these slang terms were part of the normal speech, and everybody talked that way.

I friend of mine from Boston sent me a long list of these. I only posted the first 10. He sent them in response to my comment that he talked funny. Havvad Yahd. type stuff.

Silvercoach, have you ever traced colloquialisms, slang, pronunciations to specific geographic regions? That would be a fascinating study.
Posted by: Tim Gerard

Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! - 12/13/07 01:36 PM

I grew up North Of Detroit in what used to be pretty rural farm country. My parents were farm kids of Belgian and German descent, and very large families. They all talked like that or should I say "dat". Alot of D's in the language "Dis" not used like today as in "he dissed me" but "Dis" = this, dat =that, doze = those, stuff like that, similar to what Dennis says.
Posted by: AmpleSound

Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! - 12/13/07 03:45 PM

Welcome to the site!

Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! - 12/22/07 09:35 PM

Dennis,
That would be an interesting study, I'll see if I can dig something up, no promises though.

Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! - 12/22/07 11:19 PM

Oh No, now I am too conscious of everyone's speech. My wife actually said bedgeroom last night. I asked her to repeat it. And, there it was again. Am I becoming overly critical? She squeezes the toothpaste in the middle too. I have known her for 40 years, and never noticed these things. I don't want to know any more.

And, my son came over and asked, j'eat? I guess that was, did you eat? Jokingly, I said I had a sammich, and he understood. I have heard others pronounce it sangwich. Hey people, there is a D in that word.

This will drive me insane.

Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! - 12/23/07 11:14 AM

Welcome to my world, Dennis, lol. For instance, the word "there" has no meaning in the English language without clarification, i.e. pointing (It's over there.).

Passive voice drives interpreters silly because we interpret meaning, not words. (The boy was hit.) WHO HIT THE BOY!?

People with accents drive interpreters nuts too, "Den ve vill talk about ze dour." was that door or war?

Yep, I'm glad someone understands my pain, lol. Good luck overcomeing this, Dennis.

Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! - 12/23/07 11:36 AM

Silvercoach, I know there are different dialects throughout Italy, the background of my heritage. And, the same word may have different meanings in different parts of the Country. There are also different words for the same thing.

When my father, 3rd generation removed from Italy, met my wife's grandmother who was born in Italy, the two tried to converse in Italian. My Father, in his Americanized/Italian speech from Sicily was talking with a Native born near the Northern Yugoslavian Border. I could see they had trouble understanding each other. Then all Hell broke lose when my Father said something like "you have a nice dress" and it was understood as " I am a dog". It took some fast talking to smoothen that over.

With all of the differences in pronunciation, colloquialisms, and slang, I can see where it would b extremely difficult to learn our form of English. Heck, when I went to England, I could hardly understand them.

Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! - 12/23/07 07:17 PM

Yeah, lol, now add the fact that interpreters are learning a second language on top of that, and language changes all the time. Lol, then you've got the picture! The interpreter is attempting to keep up with the slang and changes to 2 or more languages!

That's interesting about your father, anyone else have any funny misunderstandings with language they would like to share? (keep it clean!)
Posted by: SoCal Jeff

Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! - 12/26/07 09:57 AM

Welcome to the site!