Quitting my League

Posted by: BOSStull

Quitting my League - 02/29/20 01:30 PM

Never thought about this before but when the first case of Corona Virus shows up in the Atlanta area I am done with league bowling for a while. I may have to change my saying posted in my profile "Let me bowl or let me die"
Posted by: 82Boat69

Re: Quitting my League - 02/29/20 02:43 PM

Try not to panic. Less than 2% of the population is vulnerable and only .04% who get it, die from it. Last I heard, there were 60 people in America with it. That's 60 out of 333 million. Each time you drive your car your chances of dying are significantly greater. This isn't the black plague. If you're not old or have a compromised respiratory system, you're not at risk.

Re: Quitting my League - 03/01/20 08:11 AM

Originally Posted By: 82Boat69
If you're not old or have a compromised respiratory system, you're not at risk.
No panic. Just throwing it out there. My wife is the high risk category and I would not want to bring it home to her.

Looking at worst case scenarios of community spread in my area. There would be no preventing contracting the virus without taking extreme measures. A bowling center would be like a movie theater and with the virus lasting 24 hours after it contacts a surface you don't even have to be near an infected person to get it.

I hope for the best possible outcome and the virus can be contained no additional spread happens but I don't think we have seen the worst yet.

Re: Quitting my League - 03/16/20 11:52 PM

Well with all that is going I decided to take the next 2 weeks off bowling. Cases of Coronavirus have surfaced in my area. I will re-evaluate wether to continue in a couple of weeks.

Re: Quitting my League - 03/17/20 07:11 PM

I got an email from Bowlero today. Well that takes care of that.
Posted by: Mkirchie

Re: Quitting my League - 03/17/20 10:31 PM

NJ's 8:00 PM curfew has our leagues shut down. Our center is still open, but others have decided to close. I have no plans to go until things get better.

Mark

Re: Quitting my League - 03/25/20 07:59 PM

Our first back to bowling will be April 1. I will be absent and see what happens

Re: Quitting my League - 03/26/20 04:44 AM

What state are you in? I'm in CA but bowling isn't considered essential, so all bowling centers are closed. We were supposed to start again April 7th, but I'm certain we're done for the year.

With San Diego, LA and San Francisco all increasing in new cases, the rest of the state, even in sparsely populated areas, has to follow the same rules. Another reason to break this state up :-)

Re: Quitting my League - 03/27/20 09:25 AM

Georgia. Bowling Center is suppose to reopen April 1. But I don't see it happening. I agree with you about being done for the year.

The Governor issued an executive order enforcing a closure of all bars and nightclubs in the state. Additionally, a ban on public gatherings of 10 people or more was also issued. These actions will go into effect on 12 p.m. Tuesday, and are set to end at 12 p.m. on April 6.

Re: Quitting my League - 03/27/20 09:48 AM

Like everyone else, I've received confusing info. Our local center wasn't forced to shut down for bowling, but couldn't serve food or liquor. All the leagues bailed and revenues from open bowling alone wasn't enough. The speculation is that our center won't be reopening under the current owner. I think Bowlmor made him an offer and he's considering his options.

Re: Quitting my League - 03/27/20 11:37 AM

We were progressively shutting everything down here in NJ over the last 2 weeks. Our last night of league was the 13th. The last day my school district had students in school was the 12th. All schools were ordered to close by the 17th. Our leagues were shut down when NJ instituted an 8 pm curfew on the 16th and the center closed about 2-3 days later before the non-essential business shut down in NJ occurred last weekend. Things are not great here. I live and bowl in a part of NJ that has a significantly lower population density than the parts closer to NYC, however the three counties that make up my association combined have more total cases than 23 states currently do.

Not that it is important now considering the growth in cases, but I fear many centers might not survive this. Many other businesses besides bowling too.

Mark

Re: Quitting my League - 03/27/20 07:20 PM

And now in my county

A stay-at-home order was issued jointly by the county and its cities Friday afternoon, mandating residents to stay at home except to conduct essential business needed for their health and safety as a way of reducing opportunities for the disease to spread. All non-essential businesses will be forced to close because of the order.

I am considered as essential so I will still be working but will not be making contact with the public. Bowling is pretty much shut down.

I have heard a few bowling leagues are shutting down and are opting to give the centers their prize fund. I really think this is a good idea and would be willing to do the same but they would have to cancel the remaining of the season for me to do so.

Re: Quitting my League - 05/02/20 05:43 PM

League is starting back end of May but I am done till fall league. I am opting out of the league. COVID-19 is over 2000 cases confirmed in our county and still new cases everyday. I think it is too early to bowl. My opinion we should just cancel the league and if you you still want to bowl well there is the summer league. It usually starts up mid May but that wont happen of you finish the winter league. One way or another a league will get cancelled. Bowling Centers opened up on April 24 so my PRO SHOP will be open. I can work on getting old balls plugged and new ones drilled before Fall. My Pro shop does maintenance on all balls for $100 bucks for a year so thinking I will go ahead and let him perform De-oiling and new surface on everything I have and it is a lot.

Re: Quitting my League - 05/03/20 07:41 AM

We are nowhere close to that happening yet in NJ. Our league officers got in contact with us to let us know there will be some plan in place when the times comes. I don't know what the center is thinking, I know I have seen people online around the country talk about finishing this fall during the summer and canceling the summer leagues. I'd be OK if we just ended the fall league, we only would miss a little less than 2 months. Will have to wait and see.

Mark

Re: Quitting my League - 05/03/20 08:14 AM

I'm not as afraid of dying as I am of not living.

I'd be willing to sign a waiver to practice as long as there was 2 lane etiquette in place.

We can't just hunker down and wait for the entire economy to tank. I don't know many who can survive economically on government handouts and that applies to the government too. We need some herd immunity and we won't get that without taking some risks.

I remember polio in the early 50's. Some got sick and suffered terrible consequences, but we didn't shut down the world. The media has made everyone paranoid and the fear of litigation has businesses running for cover. Some common sense legislation could free up employers and customers to make their own choices.

Right now, everyone is more misinformed than informed and that won't change without seeing what actually happens as people get out more.
Posted by: djp1080

Re: Quitting my League - 05/03/20 07:43 PM

Hey, I'm with you Boat!
Wonder if your governor or mine will sign off on that waiver??? smile No way. If they signed off on it, perhaps Trump might have an even higher chance of winning the 2020 election.

Re: Quitting my League - 05/03/20 09:44 PM

Slow Joe is sliding into dementia too quickly to save. Trump wins in a landslide.

If eveyone is still hanging around their houses in November, it won't matter who wins. The world will be bankrupt and so will all the bowling centers.

If the nation is bankrupt, we'll need someone who passed a math class running things. That leaves out all liberals.

We'll need another war to get the economy cranked up again. Kick-start the military-industrialize complex again.

Could get ugly. I'd rather take my chances. Go down swinging, not safe in my bed.

Re: Quitting my League - 05/10/20 07:57 PM

I went ahead and opted out of my league. League is starting back May 13 with no lane separation although a single team on one lane but other team is still next to you. Why even bother. S&S will be open will just bowl practice Sunday mornings. I will get my bowling fix then. Hardly anyone there then anyway. They will have at least separation. Hopefully they will still oil the lanes as before. I am really not worried about myself but my wife is very high risk and I would not want to be the one that passes COVID-19 to her.

As for the economy yeah people need to get back to work. Quarantine the high risk not the whole population. As for the political view Trump is still the best option out there we are headed for a rapid downfall if Biden is elected.

Re: Quitting my League - 05/10/20 09:27 PM

The incomplete league seasons were cancelled by our center. We're exploring the option of finally going to a 4 person next season and that might work well since one of our teammates is planning on not bowling in the league next season to spend more time with his daughters as they participate in school sports and activities.

It is sad what has happened in NJ nursing homes. The nursing home you had likely heard about in the news last month is responsible for more than 1/2 the Covid-19 deaths in that county. The story is not as bad elsewhere in the state for long term care facilities, but is rather similar.

Mark

Re: Quitting my League - 05/16/20 11:02 PM

Earlier today, I saw on social media that the center where I bowl is actually taking this time to invest in repairing equipment and is also working on improvements in appearance. I am surprised, I wonder if they were planning on doing this if this had not happened.

Mark

Re: Quitting my League - 05/24/20 09:14 PM

Well I bowled today at Stars and Strikes. They have done a good job with taking precautions with COVID-19 (PDF attached).. Felt OK to bowl today. After 2 months of bowling it felt really good. No rust bowled well considering the layoff. Still feel like I am not going to start resuming league come Wednesday unless Bowlmor takes the same precautions. We will see... Bowlmor has pretty much the same but only concern on leagues is the one lane separation. If it is implemented on leagues I may go ahead and bowl..

Re: Quitting my League - 05/25/20 06:01 AM

Originally Posted By: BOSStull
After 2 months of bowling it felt really good..
oops After 2 months of not bowling

Well I bowled today at Stars and Strikes. They have done a good job with taking precautions with COVID-19 (PDF attached).. Felt OK to bowl today. After 2 months of not bowling it felt really good. No rust bowled well considering the layoff. Still feel like I am not going to start resuming league come Wednesday unless Bowlmor takes the same precautions. We will see... Bowlmor has pretty much the same but only concern on leagues is the one lane separation. If it is implemented on leagues I may go ahead and bowl.

Re: Quitting my League - 05/28/20 06:56 PM

After going to S&S on Sunday I went to my Wednesday night restart of the season last night. After seeing the precautions that the league and Bowlmor were taking I opted back in to my restart of the league. We bowled 1 team per set of lanes. The pit are was taped off for your team's zone. I felt comfortable bowling in this format and will finish the season plus they added more weeks to fill out the summer. So, I am back to bowling.

Re: Quitting my League - 05/28/20 10:19 PM

That is good to hear. I have absolutely no idea when centers will be allowed to reopen along with other non-essential businesses in NJ. I am thinking mid June at best.

Mark

Re: Quitting my League - 06/06/20 04:59 PM

Well back to the second week of bowling. I got to the lanes and found out that the leagues were back to 2 teams per set of lanes. I almost walked out. It was like bait and switch. Lanes having social distancing one week and not the next. Why would BOWLMOR do this? No league meeting. No vote. No nothing. This is the way it is.
I am very disappointed in the way this happened.

I did bowl but was not happy. We were on the 1st set of lanes lane so was able to keep my distance. Next week I will not be as fortunate.

Re: Quitting my League - 06/20/20 04:52 PM

Really having second thoughts about this. I try to take all the precautions but not many other people are. I where my mask but looking around during league nights only about 25% of the bowlers are wearing if at that. My county is leading the state in new cases so COVID is still here. You never know who may have it.

Re: Quitting my League - 06/20/20 05:15 PM

I think there's a misconception that as states open up, that its okay to discontinue precautions. The pictures I've seen of people at the beach or at public events proves this to be true. Not many are wearing a mask. Even when I go to my local grocery store, maybe 20% have a mask on. I wonder how many handle stuff before they choose.

Our local bowl is supposed to be opening in 2-3 weeks. They've completely remodeled. The problem, no leagues. Whether they can make a payroll on open play alone remains to be seen.

Re: Quitting my League - 06/20/20 05:33 PM

Boat I see the same thing. Usually if you are not taking the precaution of wearing a mask you are not doing the other precautions also. I am bowling. I wear a mask. I keep the social distance. I am not socializing between turns. I am pretty much keeping to myself. I hope this is enough because I really enjoy bowling even with restrictions I impose on myself. As for grocery store my wife handles that. She orders and has it delivered. I do go to Sam's Club about every third week and it is almost 100% mask at least at my store. I have cone to Publix obce and it was about 50/50.

Re: Quitting my League - 06/20/20 05:40 PM

I think the stores should enforce masks. No mask, no shop. Pretty simple.

Re: Quitting my League - 06/20/20 05:58 PM

I agree Boat. And I think that should apply for all public places even recreational establishments,

Re: Quitting my League - 06/20/20 06:08 PM

Everyone is so hammered financially, nobody wants to turn anyone away.

As far as I know, businesses in general are not legally protected if someone contracts the virus. Of course, it would be tough to prove where it was contracted.

I know when our local bowl opens, I'm going. I even have a mask with a bowling motiv :-)
Posted by: mmalsed

Re: Quitting my League - 06/22/20 12:42 PM

Hi all - my center had us all sign a waiver. How enforceable that is? IDK. Most thought it was a waiver to allow us to not wear masks and they were NOT happy that it was not that.

I think the main issue is they're requiring us to wear a mask when we're up there bowling.

With nobody on the pair on either side (which is their approach) and nobody within 6' of us (which is really the way it always has worked) . . .

but anyway

Re: Quitting my League - 08/09/20 02:41 PM

Well, I never quit the league but would of if anybody contracted the virus in the league. Out of 24 teams 16 opted in and continued to bowl and after 8 weeks of bowling we finished the season and no one contracted COVID 19. Ready for the fall which starts this week.

Re: Quitting my League - 08/09/20 03:49 PM

I'm staring up in early September. Here's what I heard from my teammate the other day.

We're going from a 5 to a 4 person, we might have anyway had the pandemic not occurred.

Only 70 people in the center at a time (32 lanes). Everyone there has to be a league bowler, no spectators. I believe we are discussing one team per pair but some people are crabbing about conditions. No surprise there.

We bowl the same time as another 4 person league. We need to figure out who starts first. We always started at 6:30 and the other league started at 7. However, they start their season before ours. If they want to go first, they have to be willing to start at 6:30. We'd be starting around 8:30-8:45 if that is the case. We plan on pushing to be the league that bowls first.

No food and bar as all indoor dining and bars are still closed in NJ. You are there to bowl. No hanging around afterwards, you must leave immediately when you are done.

It will definitely feel very different.

Mark
Posted by: VFF57

Re: Quitting my League - 08/13/20 07:16 PM

I just heard from a teammate the 16 lane center where I'm at in SJ is breaking up a league into two shifts as well to comply with 1 team per pair. I don't have all the details but it would make the most sense to have opposing teams bowl on different shifts in order to bowl on the same pair of lanes. If that's the case then there's really no person to person direct competition. It will be like bowling against a vacant team every week. The other scenario is bowling next to the opposing team which doesn't make sense from a same lane conditions point of view. I can see a problem with second shift teams waiting outside in bad weather for the first shift to finish to comply with capacity rules.

I think I'm going to just sub across the different leagues this year and focus on practicing. I don't think I will have much fun bowling in a league under these conditions. I hope things get back to normal next year.
Posted by: VFF57

Re: Quitting my League - 08/15/20 12:58 PM

I just got some more info. Whatever teams are assigned to a specific shift in the league will remain on it. No shift rotation as I original thought. They might as well break up the league in to two smaller ones or else it's really just virtual. Half the league bowls on a fresh shot and there's no personal interaction between the halves. I'm also hearing masks need to be worn at all times even while bowling.

I understand the centers are trying to work things out as they go along to meet the states requirements but this sounds convoluted. Now I know I'm just subbing this year.

Re: Quitting my League - 09/26/20 09:32 PM

Into the 8th week of fall league no reported cases of COVID-19, Normal league lane assignments a team per lane. Center has removed a lot of the seating and spread out what is left. Tables behind the PIT are om rollers now.