BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99565 - 08/03/09 03:20 AM Need some critique on my form
hi_there Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 24/M/Montana
Hey everyone. I posted a video awhile back to get some tips. The link to the old post is below.
http://www.bowlingcommunity.com/b/ubbthr....html#Post56474

I've been working on it awhile, and I know I still have a long way to go, so here's a new video.

I'm still muscling it too much, and I fall off the shot a little more often than I'd like. Still need to work at getting lower in my shot. Other than that, Critique away and let me know what I should be working on.

P.S. I'm not sure about my first step. Something look a little off? Should the ball and my first step be a little more in synch, or do I need to work a little more on that?
Black Widow Pearl 15 lbs
Roto Grip Cell 15 lbs
Hammer Blue Vibe 15 lbs
Hammer Razyr 15 lbs
plastic spare ball 15 lbs

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#99570 - 08/03/09 07:06 AM Re: Need some critique on my form [Re: hi_there]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
hi there, are those approaches short? They look like 12 feet, instead of 15. Noticed, you were over the foul line on every shot with a 4-step approach.

Well, you are hitting up on the ball. You pull your arm up through the release, and lift your entire body while doing it. That causes you to fall off because you are off balance.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#99574 - 08/03/09 10:13 AM Re: Need some critique on my form [Re: Dennis Michael]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
hi there,
Lets start from the beginning. Your first step and the ball should be "tied together". Imagine a rod going through the center of your foot and up into the ball, your foot and the ball have to move together because they are anchored, thats what you are looking for. Now as for why you say it looks off, pay attention to your head. You are getting really far up onto your toes in that first step and it is cauing you to "get taller" so you have a little bounce in that first step, I believe that is what you are seeing that looks odd to you.

Now as far as the tempo, slow yourself down, it looks as if you are in a race and you are trying to beat the ball to the lane. It should be a normal walking pace, not a slow jog. Keep relaxed and just let your body walk to the line. With the way you are going now it is causing you to get there well before the ball, forcing you to pull through the ball which is in turn causing you to lose balance at the line and also to over slide and end up fouling. A normal walk should help at least alleviate some of these problems.

Other than that you are making great strides in the game, keep it up and you will start really putting things together.

Good luck!
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#99609 - 08/03/09 06:36 PM Re: Need some critique on my form [Re: sk8shorty01]
hi_there Offline
League Bowler

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll work on slowing down. I haven't really noticed how far I go over that foul line before now. I don't usually foul so must be a bit of a recent development or something. I'll try to fix that first step as well in order to fix my timing a bit. Again, I appreciate all of the advice.
Black Widow Pearl 15 lbs
Roto Grip Cell 15 lbs
Hammer Blue Vibe 15 lbs
Hammer Razyr 15 lbs

#99672 - 08/04/09 11:33 AM Re: Need some critique on my form [Re: hi_there]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
hi there,
you say you don't normally foul, are the foul lights turned on most of the time when you bowl?
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#99735 - 08/05/09 01:42 AM Re: Need some critique on my form [Re: sk8shorty01]
hi_there Offline
League Bowler

Not necessarily durning practice. During league they are however, and I only foul once or twice a season ordinarily.
Black Widow Pearl 15 lbs
Roto Grip Cell 15 lbs
Hammer Blue Vibe 15 lbs
Hammer Razyr 15 lbs

#99743 - 08/05/09 06:36 AM Re: Need some critique on my form [Re: hi_there]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
What I see:

1. Your first step is short your push away is non existent, you just step and then drop the ball into the swing and pull it back.

2. Pulling the ball back causes you to pull it forward.

3. You don't have time to do a proper approach so you rush to the line and have no drive with your legs.

I think your swing is not all that bad I think the force is coming from your shoulders, have your shoulders rotate with the swing, not ahead of it. The best way to do that is to push the ball up slightly and then drop the ball into the swing. Letting the ball fall into the swing from a higher point builds up momentum in the swing allowing the arm to swing freely without help from the shoulders.

If you do this every thing will feel slow, this slow feeling should be used to bend your legs and hips lower going into the slide, don't bend from the waist, think sit down and wait for the ball don't pull it through.

#99827 - 08/05/09 07:17 PM Re: Need some critique on my form [Re: CoachJim]
hi_there Offline
League Bowler

Coach Jim,

When I push the ball slightly up then out, about how far in front of me should I push the ball before it falls into the swing? Should my arm be fully extended or something a little more natural?
Black Widow Pearl 15 lbs
Roto Grip Cell 15 lbs
Hammer Blue Vibe 15 lbs
Hammer Razyr 15 lbs

#99863 - 08/06/09 06:16 AM Re: Need some critique on my form [Re: hi_there]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Keep the ball in close to your body at the start, your elbow at your side. Push the ball forward by moving your upper arm forward until the ball is over your foot, not out in front of your foot, but over the big toe of it, try not to extend the elbow and leave it in the same angle it is and just go forward with it not extend, then drop the ball into the swing when your right heel touches the floor so the ball falls with your right big toe.

#99865 - 08/06/09 06:20 AM Re: Need some critique on my form [Re: hi_there]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
You don't want to extend your arm in the push away. Coach Jim says to push away only to the front of your body, then drop the ball into the swing. I don't really think about it that much but I'm sure I'm close to that since I know I don't extend my arm.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.