BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#97682 - 07/10/09 08:12 PM Recommendations wanted on a spare ball
hifisapi Offline
Junior

A/S/L: M- 50+ USA
I am shopping for a new spare ball. I want it to be straight as possible. Is this going to be a plastic/polyester or is there something even straighter/harder? I want it to be 15-16 pounds weight, I want it SOLID BLACK color. So far the only thing I have found is a "HIGH SKORE" ball in black polyester, 15# weight.
What about "rubber" balls? Are these any good for spare balls? Do rubbers hook more or less than plastic balls? Curious.
Thanks in advance,
jco

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#97683 - 07/10/09 08:31 PM Re: Recommendations wanted on a spare ball [Re: hifisapi]
Reconbbs Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 21/Male/York Pennsylvania
a rubber ball hooks less than plastic does. It would be a great spare ball if you could find one

Hammer Black Widow Bite
DV8 Misfit
DV8 Reckless
Visionary AMB Centaur

High Game-300x2
High Series-836

Fall League Averages
Tuesday 234
Thursday 225

#97684 - 07/10/09 09:06 PM Re: Recommendations wanted on a spare ball [Re: Reconbbs]
roscoe72003 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 38 / M / IL
there is a guy on ebay that specializes in these vintage repro rubber balls. these are new non drilled. I didnt even know they still made rubber balls..... the seller is bowling blowouts he currently has a listing.

#97706 - 07/11/09 06:47 AM Re: Recommendations wanted on a spare ball [Re: roscoe72003]
hifisapi Offline
Junior

I went ahead and bought one of those ebay 15# rubber balls. It was only $35 delivered so I guess I will give that a try. Seems to meet all my requirements. Thanks for the tips.

#97715 - 07/11/09 10:10 AM Re: Recommendations wanted on a spare ball [Re: hifisapi]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Some ball drillers will not drill a rubber ball. It wears down and clogs the drill bits and really smells
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#97723 - 07/11/09 11:26 AM Re: Recommendations wanted on a spare ball [Re: Dennis Michael]
TenPin_ Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 32/M/TX
And many centers won't let you use rubber balls. It leaves rubber impact marks and sometimes long rubber streaks on the lanes. Worse is if you put the ball down before the line, it will leave those same rubber marks on the approach, which is a hazard to anyone who likes to slide.

#97746 - 07/11/09 07:57 PM Re: Recommendations wanted on a spare ball [Re: TenPin_]
hifisapi Offline
Junior

I dont know about the drilling issues, but the part about leaving rubber marks on the approach makes no sense. Rubber balls were very popular and used for decades in all centers. If they were causing approach problems they wouldnt have been practical. The other thing that doesnt make sense is these are HARD rubber. In order for them to hook even less than plastic ( which I found further info on the web confirming that), the rubber would have to be a very hard rubber compound which doesnt sound to me like it would be leaving streak marks on lanes or approaches. Like I said, Im no expert on such matters, we shall see. It just doesnt make any logical sense that any ball harder than plastic, which is already very hard, is going to be shedding particles/leaving any visible marks in use. The other issue is the lane oiling. Even if they were soft enough to leave a skid mark on a dry lane, sliding on oil at release point would lessen that considerably wouldnt it?

#97801 - 07/12/09 10:38 AM Re: Recommendations wanted on a spare ball [Re: hifisapi]
TenPin_ Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 32/M/TX
Trust me, I have seen it in person on a number of occassions. I have had to listen to the mechanics complain when the front desk people allowed the balls to be used. I have also attempted to polish a couple of rubber balls in order to reduce the friction, only to completely blacken my towel in a matter of seconds. The rubber comes off fairly easy.

If I should ever see it happen again, I will get photos / video of it for you. But don't hold your breath, as we have a sign at the front desk and on each ball return that warns people not to use rubber balls.

#97815 - 07/12/09 12:48 PM Re: Recommendations wanted on a spare ball [Re: TenPin_]
beefers1 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 24/M/British Columbia
They're really that bad? Bowlersparadise.com gives away a free rubber ball (14-16lbs) with every purchase. If you still want one, you might take a look at that.

#97829 - 07/12/09 05:21 PM Re: Recommendations wanted on a spare ball [Re: beefers1]
hifisapi Offline
Junior

Maybe these balls deteriorate with poor storage and or bad aging ? It doesnt seem right to me that they would be usbc approved if the cover was that soft. Also they wouldnt hook
less than plastic, they would hook more than plastic if the
material was so soft, no?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:12 AM
no one on for 5 days
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:06 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 08:42 AM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.