BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95833 - 06/19/09 02:53 PM Re: Brooklyn Strikes [Re: mikhial66]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Originally Posted By: mikhial66
Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
Quote:
I hate when I get one, but I will take it.

I am prefectly willing to take a zero for the frame for every Brooklyn strike I get. As long as everyone else does too. In fact I wish the rules would give you a zero. Its a total miss and should not be rewarded by the highest score count in the game.

I have maybe one or two Brooklyn strikes a month.

Erin

You can't punish a bowler for what they bowl. Would you also take away Mixers? late trips? Would you then reward better shots? Give strikes to stone 8s? You bowl what you bowl.

I agree all the way, every sport involves some form of luck. Some times its on your side and some times its against you. Messengers win titles, so do trip 4's, lucky split break ups, and the like. The way I look at it, you have to work hard and train hard in order to become good enough to increase your chance of getting lucky. Sure you can kill the pocket all day long but that doesn't mean you are knocking down all 10 pins. Getting lucky is something each bowler should embrace when it happens, because believe me the other side of the fence is just right around the corner.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#95837 - 06/19/09 03:23 PM Re: Brooklyn Strikes [Re: sk8shorty01]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
You can't punish a bowler for what they bowl.

You do in billiards. If you scratch doesn't matter if you also got your ball in.

Messengers, trips and collapsed buckets are not totally way off poorly executed misses. They are at least in the pocket.

#95838 - 06/19/09 03:28 PM Re: Brooklyn Strikes [Re: Atochabsh]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
But you do not punish a pool player if they shoot at a pocket, it misses the pocket goes off a couple rails and ends up in the original pocket they called. That is complete luck, with no doubt about it, but it still counts.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#95844 - 06/19/09 04:04 PM Re: Brooklyn Strikes [Re: sk8shorty01]
dante21 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 26/m/IN
I can see where Erin is coming from. You get rewarded for making a poor shot. On the other side this can happen in almost any sport. Golf you might blade a chip shot that is destined to fly over the green only to be saved by the pin and drop next to the hole. Should you take the ball of the green and drop it 15 yards over the green? In basketball your 15 foot jumper from the foul line gets tipped by a defender but ends up banking high off the glass into the bucket. Should that basket not count? In baseball you guess wrong and are late on an outside fastball. You end up hitting the ball off the end of the bat for a bloop single. Should that be an out? That's the thing about sports, sometimes the ball bounces the right way and there is nothing you can do about it. I've thrown my fair share of brooklyn strikes, I just hang my head and think about how to adjust, or how I missed my mark by that much.

Current Avg. 165
High Game 221
High Series 585

#95870 - 06/19/09 08:16 PM Re: Brooklyn Strikes [Re: dante21]
JaredB Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 19/M/Oklahoma
I take them any way I can get them. Then again, I don't strike nearly as often as most present company
14# Ebonite Thunderbolt DB (belonged to my grandfather)
13# Columbia White Dot
HG:189
HS:409

My bowling blog
http://jared516.wordpress.com/

#95907 - 06/20/09 06:59 AM Re: Brooklyn Strikes [Re: JaredB]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
A friend of mine rolled one on his final ball of his 300 last season. Was he going to say it didn't count? No. Was he going to turn down his award? No. Was he lucky to get a strike? Yes, but no more lucky than the 11th which went through the nose.

Yeah, he was nervous. And, yes, he rolled 2 bad balls at the end. And, yes, they were both strikes. But, he took them, and his honor score.

Maybe he should have an * next to his name that he rolled a Brooklyn at the end.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#96906 - 07/01/09 05:01 PM Re: Brooklyn Strikes [Re: Dennis Michael]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#97266 - 07/06/09 09:32 PM Re: Brooklyn Strikes [Re: 10PinGaloot]
PwntTenPin Offline
Junior

A/S/L: In front of my computer screen...
Interesting thread.

I haven't read the whole thing yet though.

I get a lot of hook, so if I'm playing down and in on dry lanes,
I'll just let it go Brooklyn. I figure it's better than trying to change my game for less hook, especially if playing over heavy oil in the center and washing out. I hardly ever miss the head pin for the 2 pin when going over the 1'st arrow that way.

Brooklyn is way better than hitting the headpin strait on. I figure a pocket hit is a pocket hit no matter what pocket you are aiming at. Great if you can make strikes with it or easy spares.

Problem with the Brooklyn side is I sure can't carry 5 or 6 in a row with it. If I get a double going Brooklyn, I'm right back over the middle going for the 1-3 even if I have to play a tighter line in the oil with less overall hook.

#97275 - 07/07/09 12:34 AM Re: Brooklyn Strikes [Re: PwntTenPin]
Vic44 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/ Male/ Colorado Springs CO
Brooklyn shots as a planned event are a fluke, if you will. VERY subject to once in a blue moon line/certain fall into luck. Overall, you will never HUNT for the shot... and the only time I can think of it worked was when the bowler was completely frustrated with the proper shot and just was making do. Overall, do not EVER go into a match thinking about that as a success, and always know that ultimately there is a better shot to be had longterm on your proper side.

Good luck.

Career HG: 300 (3)
Career HS: 772
Career High Avg(09-10) 217.
15-16 Avg: 189

Last year? Not pretty. No high scores worth posting from 15-16. But good times ahead. smile

#97300 - 07/07/09 09:51 AM Re: Brooklyn Strikes [Re: Vic44]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
I would say that planning to hit brooklyn is basically a way of avoiding the proper procedure, which is to learn a good release that can be varied to adapt to lane conditions, and getting the proper equipment for the lanes you frequent.
I used to throw brooklyn with an old hard rubber ball until I learned how to throw properly.
I do throw brooklyns with one of my releases - the helicopter - but not with a hook shot.
The reason not to intentionally throw brooklyn is simply that it is a lower percentage shot, and bowling is, despite what anyone tells you, a game of chance as much as skill - kind of like baseball and football.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.