BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#97178 - 07/05/09 01:51 PM finger joint pain after going to a shorter span
J_w73 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Northern CA
What would be the reason for some pain in the first joint of my fingers after going to a shorter span? It isn't bad and I don't feel it in the act of bowling but after I am done is when it is noticeable. I know I am not squeezing as I am concentrating on having a relaxed hand and making sure I am not squeezing during my approach and release. I am also concentrating on not hitting up on the ball as much either and getting a more smooth and natural rev on the ball. Could this just be the fact that I am getting the ball off my thumb cleaner and transferring the weight to my fingers more than I ever have and it is just going to take time for my fingers to get used to the increased leverage??

Book Average 220

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#97179 - 07/05/09 02:19 PM Re: finger joint pain after going to a shorter span [Re: J_w73]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
I went through the same thing when I shortened my span. All of a sudden I was "popping" my fingers out of the ball on nearly every release. I tried pitching the fingers away in different increments. This was comfortable, but it felt like I could not get anything on the ball. And, the popping got worse, along with pain in the first joint of my fingers. So, I went the other direction and now have 1/8 forward pitch on my fingers (towards palm). The popping stopped, and the ball rolls off my hand smoothly without grabbing it, and my revs have actually increased.

This is just a theory, but I think when you shorten your span, unless it was stretched too far to begin with, you need to take up the slack with some forward pitch on your thumb and/or fingers. I did both, and that seemed to work for me.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#97181 - 07/05/09 02:26 PM Re: finger joint pain after going to a shorter span [Re: J_w73]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
You may have shortened your span too far, go to your Pro Shop and have them look at it and evaluate your hand.

#97185 - 07/05/09 04:15 PM Re: finger joint pain after going to a shorter span [Re: CoachJim]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

I don't know about the popping.. not experiencing anything like that..
The span was too long before.. right now the span is perfect.. with the edge of the grip holes hitting right under the halfway point between the joints with a unstretched relaxed hand.. there is also not a ton of slack in the webbing..

my hand is very flexible and can stetch a bit.. I can get into a span that is an inch longer..

even if the span was too short.. if I wasn't squeezing or grabbing how would this cause pain in the finger.. or how would a longer span reduce the pain..

the fingers holes are drilled at 0 forward/reverse.. the lifts put 1/8 forward in them.

so going with the assumption that the span is ok.. could it be that I am just getting a ton more leverage on my release that I never had before?? And my hand and fingers need to build up the strength to handle this leverage??

Book Average 220

#97213 - 07/06/09 07:19 AM Re: finger joint pain after going to a shorter span [Re: J_w73]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
so going with the assumption that the span is ok.. could it be that I am just getting a ton more leverage on my release that I never had before?? And my hand and fingers need to build up the strength to handle this leverage??

This may well be. Shorter/properly fitted spans allow your fingers to bend at both joints to a more natural position. When you release the ball, all the weight goes from your palm/thumb to your fingers and the fingers stretch from the weight of the ball and the force/momentum of the swing, it may take a while to build up the strength in your finger tendons, you may also need more reverse pitch in the fingers to reduce the lift on the fingers, you need to see if the ball is heading up after it comes off your hand or if it goes down immediately and lands smooth.

#97215 - 07/06/09 07:38 AM Re: finger joint pain after going to a shorter span [Re: CoachJim]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Are the grips too small? Are you having to cram your fingers into the holes?

Or are they too big and you are inserting your fingers too deep? That will put strain on the wrong area of your fingers.

Are your fingers swelling? Because some do. Personally my fingers don't swell. But I've seen enough bowlers to know that many do have swelling fingers as well as thumbs. Dang it, its slipping my mind. We don't do it often, but you drill the top of the finger holes slightly larger to allow for swelling and then secure the bottom of the finger insert as normal.

Many bowlers put their hand in the ball completely different when being measured and fit then when they actually bowl. Which means that you could have a perfectly fit ball in the Pro Shop, but when you bowl with it, you put your hand into it entirely different.

Erin

Edited by Atochabsh (07/06/09 07:44 AM)

#97220 - 07/06/09 08:26 AM Re: finger joint pain after going to a shorter span [Re: Atochabsh]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
Dang it, its slipping my mind. We don't do it often, but you drill the top of the finger holes slightly larger to allow for swelling and then secure the bottom of the finger insert as normal.

The vacu-grip technique?

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#97223 - 07/06/09 09:13 AM Re: finger joint pain after going to a shorter span [Re: cgeorg]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
A link for Vise's vacu-system, if you think that will help:
http://www.viseinserts.com/vacu.html

You mentioned your hand could accomodate a span a whole inch longer. How much did you shorten it? If more than a 1/4 inch, it is possible it may be too short.

To summarize, I think you have several options:
1. Wait and see if the condition improves
2. Adjust your span in between the original and current position
3. Adjust your finger pitches either forward or reverse
4. Adjust the size of your finger holes/inserts, or go with the vacu-grip system.

A Pro Shop or someone that can actually see your hand in the ball along with your release may be able to help you decide which direction to go.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#97232 - 07/06/09 12:11 PM Re: finger joint pain after going to a shorter span [Re: Joe Bowler]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

I like my grips snug.. I don't think that is the issue. why would tight grips cause joint pain??

my Pro Shop has worked with me through all the changes.. when I went to him at the beginning of last summer I was at almost 5 1/2 inch span with 5/8 reverse in the thumb and 1/4 forward in the fingers .. bowled like that for 20 some years... read about a more relaxed span and fitting and I was moving so I found a new driller.. he saw that my hand was super stretched and refit me.. went to 4 7/8.. then after about a year of bowling I noticed that when measuring my hand over the ball the span was no too long again.. maybe my hand shrunk (or went back to how it was supposed to be) after not having the continuous stretching from a stretched bowling grip..
anyway.. with the stretched span I needed the 5/8 reverse in the thumb, alot of bevel and a loose thumb hole to be able to get out. now I am at 4 5/8 3/8 reverse in the thumb and 0 in the fingers and when being measured it looks dead on .. it feels great and I believe I am releasing the ball better than I ever have. .. My thumbhole is snug in a way that I would have never been able to get out of before..
I'm gonna run the pain by my driller today and see what he thinks

Book Average 220

#97233 - 07/06/09 01:33 PM Re: finger joint pain after going to a shorter span [Re: J_w73]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
if you cannot get your fingers into the grip to the crease then that would put more strain on the fingers and hand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by 82Boat69 - 0 seconds ago
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by BOSStull - Today at 10:05 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 08/16/18 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.