BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#100001 - 08/08/09 10:12 AM Re: PBA ProAm questions [Re: Joe Bowler]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Glad you enjoyed it Joe. But, being a no name, and bowling with no name pros, wasn't to my liking. Especially when you beat them.

My Pro/Am experience had me paired with Tommy Jones for 1 game who was in the qualifying set. He was serious. The other 2 pros, as you mentioned, were regional. 1 I knew and competed against. The other sat by himself, looked away, and never talked after our introduction.

For an extra fee, the amateurs got a tournament ball for participating. It was a Storm ball, so I gave it to a local Charity who was having a fund raiser in a week or two.

I was mainly there to support another regional Pro who I knew. He was competing for one of 7 spots for the following day. He lost out by a couple of pins, placing 8th. The ride home wasn't to my liking either.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#100005 - 08/08/09 10:36 AM Re: PBA ProAm questions [Re: Dennis Michael]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
As a fan, it would have been really cool if Walter Ray, Parker Bohn, Pete Weber, Norm Duke, etc. had shown up.

As a competitor, though, my mindset is I don't really care who walks in the door. I know that nobody can beat me when I am striking. That includes the exempt pros. (Sorry if that sounds arrogant to some. I believe that is how winners should think.)

So, from a bowling perspective, it did not matter to me who was there, National or Regional pros, or just guys who bowl league there. I was there to bowl and let the results speak for themselves.

Also, I saw it as an opportunity to pick the brains of the pros. Even if I outscored them, I figure they must know something to believe in themselves enough to go out and bowl regionals.

Yes, it was a long ride, but I knew that in advance. It's not something I intend to do on a regular basis. But, it was enjoyable enough to want to do again.

I say all this for the benefit of the reader who may be considering going to a Pro-Am, that it is possible to go and have a good time.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#100008 - 08/08/09 11:43 AM Re: PBA ProAm questions [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

A few stats below about the pros I bowled with and their ranking in the PBA East Region.

First Game: 230
Nolan, Pat - (not listed)
Pat was a lot of fun, and bowled a great game for us. During practice, he left a split, and attempted a 2-balls-at-the-same-time shot, but missed. Since he was not listed, I am guessing this may be his first regional.

Second Game: 186 (bumped to 200)
Leonard Sr., Robert J. - Elmira Heights, NY
Points Rank: 67, Events Bowled: 7, Points: 20,659
Earnings Rank: 97, Events Cashed: 3, Earnings: $425.00
Bob struggled going from the middle of the house to our end pair, but pulled it together and rolled well the next game (which unfortunately did not do us any good).

Third Game: 256
Paluszek, Joe - Bensalem, PA
Points Rank: 3, Events Bowled: 12, Points: 106,996
Earnings Rank: 3, Events Cashed: 7, Earnings: $6,175.00
Joe was a likeable young guy with a great game. He is doing well on the regional tour. I would not be surprised to see him on the National tour someday.

If you check out the East Region points list on pba.com, you will see these guys ahead of some more recognizable names, like Ryan Shafer, Patrick Allen, etc.

#100070 - 08/09/09 06:20 AM Re: PBA ProAm questions [Re: Joe Bowler]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Joe, I see the entry was $75. Did you get into any of the ball entry packages? That looked like a deal.

Adult w/ Brunswick Siege Ball ($185.00 *):

Adult w/ Brunswick Wild Thing Ball ($175.00 *):

Adult w/ Both Balls ($285.00 *):

Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#100081 - 08/09/09 05:07 PM Re: PBA ProAm questions [Re: Dennis Michael]
Joe Bowler Offline

Although it would have been a good deal, no, I was not in the market for either of the balls being offered. It may just be a personal prejudice from years ago, but I am not much of a Brunswick equipment fan. In fact, I have often thought Parker Bohn would have 10 more titles if he was not rolling Brunswick. Maybe the Siege will help Brunswick become more of a contender.

#100090 - 08/09/09 09:05 PM Re: PBA ProAm questions [Re: Joe Bowler]
beefers1 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 24/M/British Columbia
Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
In fact, I have often thought Parker Bohn would have 10 more titles if he was not rolling Brunswick.

If he wasn't happy with Brunswick I'm sure he would've left by now. Hasn't he been with them for a good 15-20 years now?

Johnny Petraglia has used Brunswick with great success for all those years, too. And WRW during the 90's, his most dominant period.

#100102 - 08/10/09 12:04 AM Re: PBA ProAm questions [Re: beefers1]
Joe Bowler Offline

Don't take it personal if you are a Brunswick fan. Some people drink Pepsi, others prefer Coke. Some drive Chevys, others prefer Ford. Years ago, during the 90's, I bought several Brunswick balls, and did not like how they rolled. That's all.

Parker Bohn is married with children. His choice of equipment sponsor may have more to do with the financial benefits than the quality of the equipment.

Concerning Johnny Petraglia, how would it have looked, after Brunswick named the LT-48 after him, to switch to another company?

#100106 - 08/10/09 01:56 AM Re: PBA ProAm questions [Re: Joe Bowler]
beefers1 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 24/M/British Columbia
Walter Ray Williams also had a ball named after him.

Anyway, I don't really care about branding. I've already sworn to myself that if I ever bowl any PBA tournament, I would never wear any patches on my shirt, never exclusively use one brand, unless all the other companies started making [censored] bowling balls, not join any company's pro staff, or anything of the sort.

(Well, okay, I do prefer Coke to Pepsi, and Etonic shoes to Dexter. But that's not because of brand loyalty.)

And, 32 titles (even if it's only 1 major) is amazing no matter how you look at it.

BTW, I saw a Johnny Petraglia ball on the house ball rack at a bowling center in southern Oregon.

Edited by beefers1 (08/10/09 01:58 AM)

#100121 - 08/10/09 08:58 AM Re: PBA ProAm questions [Re: beefers1]
Joe Bowler Offline

Out of curiosity, I followed up to see the results of the Regional, and how the guys I bowled with in the Pro-Am finished.

The winner of the Regional was Terry Wiley from Vienna, VA. He won 7 out of 10 matches, averaging 224.8 for 18 games. He picked up a check for $2,500. I do not remember seeing Terry at the Pro-Am.

Of the guys I bowled with, the best finisher was Joe Paluszek from Bensalem, PA. He finished 33, averaging 215.6 for 8 games. He picked up a check for $400.

Finishing in the 101st spot was Robert J. Leonard Sr. from Elmira Heights, NY. He averaged 187.9 for 8 games. He did not cash.

Unfortunately, Pat Nolan from Vancouver, WA did not finish the tournament. It appears he averaged 175.5 for 4 games, and then scratched.

Colony Park Lanes has not yet posted the results of the Pro-Am. I am expecting to see one of my league teammates in the top spot. He bowled well along with the pros that bowled with him, too.

#103515 - 09/23/09 03:23 PM Re: PBA ProAm questions [Re: Joe Bowler]
Monteman Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 37 / male / Michigan
I've done the Pro-Am's for the past 4 years here in Detroit (3 at Taylor lanes and the last one at Thunderbowl).

I've always enjoyed them. The Pro's have always been a lot of fun, take time to autograph anything you stick infront of them. And so far each as been willing to offer advice on game / lane play / ball to pick per pattern.

I've been extremly lucky though the pro's I've bowled with include: Kelly Kulick, Chris Barnes, WRW Jr., Danny W., Rino, Steve Jaros, Brian Himmler, Brian Kretzer, Mike D., Mike M., Big Wes.

I think they are required to bowl if they cash in the prevous tournament.

To keep the competion or foce me to bowl better then the Typical league shot, ask for the pro shot. They normally lay both out (house and pro). I took a group of guys from my normal league who never bowled on a pro shot before and it was a learning curve for them. I only shot a low 600.

I look at it this way, you can win money, and spend around 80 bucks. For a event for that type of time and access to the pro's of the sport, i think its a reasonable cost.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.