BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99207 - 07/28/09 09:38 PM Re: PBA ProAm questions [Re: Joe Bowler]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Seriously though, if you're scoring the way you say you're scoring, you should really consider bowling in the regionals and the PTQ's. My Dad was a PBA member when I was a kid and I grew up in bowling allies, tournaments every weekend, at regionals, one or two PBA tournaments every year, etc.. Pro-Am's are fun, but they don't have that competitive feel. You seem like a guy who likes competition and you seem to have the ability to at lest put up a respectable showing. There's nothing wrong with bowling a pro am, but you seem more like the guy who'd get a lot out of bowling a PBA event. That is unless you don't want the baggage that goes along with a PBA card, which is understandable. A lot of guys just bowl amateur tournaments because of that.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#99208 - 07/28/09 09:57 PM Re: PBA ProAm questions [Re: Lefty]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
There are pluses and minuses to turning pro. I weighed them very carefully about 25 years ago, when I was single but planning to get married, was about 70 pounds lighter, practicing an hour a day, and competing and winning on a regular basis. At the time, my day job paid as much as the top bowlers were earning per year. For me, family came first. It still does. I have no regrets. I love bowling and consider myself fortunate to be able to compete at any level. Maybe you will see me on the senior tour some day. smile
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#99217 - 07/28/09 11:52 PM Re: PBA ProAm questions [Re: Joe Bowler]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Like Joe, family came first. 24 years later, I returned to this game.

All I can say is there is money out there on the amateur side around here, with a lot less travel and hassle. ABT is every other week and tournaments are at least monthly. And, there is always the Saturday/Sunday King of the Hill Tournaments. Entrance fees are lower, and payouts are reasonable. Much better when you factor in the 350 mile drives to pros regionals, plus the over night stay.

Good competition, too.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#99225 - 07/29/09 07:01 AM Re: PBA ProAm questions [Re: Dennis Michael]
Lefty Offline
Legend

My point was that if someone is a successful and competitive bowler and they want to bowl with the pros and try to beat them, bowling one or two PTQ's and/or regionals might be better than a Pro-Am.

#99227 - 07/29/09 07:34 AM Re: PBA ProAm questions [Re: Lefty]
Joe Bowler Offline

It does not have to be one or the other. Personally, I am not ruling anything out. In fact, I was planning to bowl the regional at Forest Hill earlier this year, but the timing conflicted with my trip to Vegas.

I have traveled as far as 4 hours away to bowl a "World's Best Bowler" tournament ($10,000 up top, more than any regional), and decided then, that I did not enjoy spending half of my weekend in the car. So, now I look for scratch tournaments within 1 hour from my home. Fortunately, there are plenty, and many of the bowlers are regional Pros, so it is a good level of competition.

Lastly, when I compete, it is not just to make a good showing, it is to win. An honest self-assessment is that my game is about 75% of where it could be with practice, coaching, etc. This will be my 3rd year back after a 10 year break. Bowling on named sport patterns is new to me. The first PBA Experience league I bowled in, I averaged 198. Unfortunately, it is lower this year at a different house. I figure to compete against the pros, and win, that average should be in the 220's. So, I have some work to do. At this stage of life, I am just enjoying the journey.

I have a lot of respect for those who go on tour and win an event. They represent a small minority of those who have competed. Those that are regular winners are truly the elite of the sport. There were times I wished bowling was more like other sports, where the best bowlers were paid to compete, and winning was a bonus. It would be a lot easier to make a living as a professional bowler that way.

#99232 - 07/29/09 08:04 AM Re: PBA ProAm questions [Re: Joe Bowler]
Lefty Offline
Legend

No need to defend your decisions. It was just a suggestion. You had said that you wanted to not only bowl with them, but also beat them. They give you free strikes at the pro-am's and it's more of a social atmosphere. It's not really a venue where you can compete against them. They're not trying to win.

#99237 - 07/29/09 09:09 AM Re: PBA ProAm questions [Re: Lefty]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I bowled in 1 Pro-Am and won't do it again. It was the Hawthorn Pro Tour stop in 2006, the week before Thanksgiving. Although, I was really trying to be competitive, and faired well for me, it was no more than a courtesy for the pros who I bowled with. They just lasted the game, and passed their autograph, then said nice meeting you and left as quickly as they could.

It certainly wasn't competitive. I learned nothing, and actually didn't have a good time.

I'd much rather bowl ABT, where there is always competition, and pressure is always there. I usually choke in Match play, though. That's where my focus has to improve. I can learn something there.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#99241 - 07/29/09 09:35 AM Re: PBA ProAm questions [Re: Dennis Michael]
Joe Bowler Offline

Sorry to hear you guys are not fond of the Pro-Ams. This will be my first. I am still looking forward to it.

There was an ABT in the Washington, DC area. It lasted a year, then folded. There is money to be made there. In 2008, I earned over $8,000 bowling primarily ABT.

The DC area ABT website now redirects to the Philadelphia, PA division, where events are typically 3 hours away. Bummer. I remember the DC director saying how strong the ABT was in Illinois. That's good for you, Dennis.

Remember one shot at a time and you will never choke again. Pressure? The pressure is always on the other guy, not you. Winning versus losing? That's in God's hands, your job is just to show up. You have now been set free to bowl your best under any circumstance. smile

#99269 - 07/29/09 02:43 PM Re: PBA ProAm questions [Re: Joe Bowler]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Northern CA
These PBA pro-ams are not a competitive pro-am. They are pretty much just a meet and greet for the fans and pros. I would not expect anything different out of them. They do have a price fund but it is just based on your score. The pro's scores do not factor in.

Book Average 220

#99997 - 08/08/09 09:49 AM Re: PBA ProAm questions [Re: J_w73]
Joe Bowler Offline

I want to thank you guys for helping to set very low expectations for the Pro-Am. I had a great time!

With lots of the top names in Detroit, the "Pros" that bowled were regional Pros, guys with day jobs, that were there primarily to bowl the regional event on the weekend.

The format was 3 games, one pro per pair, with everybody including the pro receiving strikes in the third, sixth, and ninth frames. If the pro shot less than 200, their score was still 200. The amateurs stayed on the same pair, but the pros moved after each game. Each bowler on the pair's score was combined with the pro's score that game, plus the bowler's handicap, to determine the winner. Results will be posted sometime this week on Colony Park North's website.

On first meeting, the pros were loose and relaxed, even funny. I took advantage of the opportunity to ask about their strategy for playing the Cheetah pattern for the upcoming regional tournament, equipment, etc. One pro was an Ebonite staffer. Another was a young guy who is now the resident pro at one of the bowling centers I used to bowl years ago in the Philadelphia suburbs. Turns out he was mentored by one of the guys I used to compete against. It was pretty cool to get caught up.

As far as the actual bowling, I rolled games of 227, 260, and 238 for a 725 scratch series. With a 239 average, I don't get any pins. The pros bowled 230, 200 (actually 186), and 256, for a total of 686. Based on the totals, I would say that is one for the Joe's!

Were the pros "competitive" or "trying to win"? Yes! Maybe I brought it out in them with my questions, or my bowling, but they noticed how I was scoring, and saying out loud what they needed to do to keep pace. Not that I needed a boost, but it was good for the ego. Watching these guys miss easy spares, overrotate the ball, fall off the shot, etc., made me think maybe I should stick around for the regional.

All in all, it was a great night of bowling, and I would definitely do it again.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - Today at 04:35 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by Dennis Michael - Today at 01:00 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - Today at 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - Today at 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.