BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#96062 - 06/22/09 07:21 AM Re: Increase Speed of Bowling Ball [Re: BowlCalc]
FROSTY1 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 49/m/ NY
Bowl Calc- I was throwing around 13.5- 13.8 mph. Had lesson and discovered not dropping ball until after stepping 1.5 steps causing low back swing and muscling of swing. Basicall by correcting this increased speed to 17.5-18mph with no effort- letting ball drop and now swings back around shoulder level instead of waist high. Couldn't believe difference on video. Now trying to fix release after changing backswing- good luck

Edited by FROSTY1 (06/22/09 07:44 AM)

15# Storm 2nd dimension
15# Brunswick copperhead
15# White dot spare ball

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#96068 - 06/22/09 08:54 AM Re: Increase Speed of Bowling Ball [Re: FROSTY1]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Bowlcalc,
I would suggest uploading the video no matter what you look like. Remember that a "coach" cannot help you fix a problem if they cannot see it. Its better to fix it now, having 10 people look at it, rather than have 80 look at it every single league night for the rest of your life isn't it, especially if its really bad haha.

Don't worry about what you look like, everyone is here to help, not to judge. Post it up with no worries!
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#96407 - 06/25/09 11:55 PM Re: Increase Speed of Bowling Ball [Re: sk8shorty01]
BowlCalc Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 57/M/Anaheim; CA, USA
Well I made it to the lanes about an hour before the league was due to start, one good thing about the new economy no pressure to work extra hours to complete those last minute shipping goals.

So here I was all pumped up about finally adding a little extra speed using the great suggestions from all of you. Just to get loose i started with my usual method for four or five practice shots. The advice given to me made me very aware of my technique which is to push the ball forward and control the swing all the way from the push of through the top of the backswing (just below shoulder height) then accelerate the ball till release and follow through.

After warming up I felt confidant enough to try to allow the ball to drop into the swing and allowing it to move at its pace. I was rewarded with a 20% increase in the speed of the ball. As this was a new approach I deliberately ignored the other aspects of the game. After practicing this approach for another game or so I was able to maintain the new speed so I decided to try to regain the strengths of my game at this speed. My strengths are a really solid roll and the ability to great a wide area. when I am rolling well I have a large area to hit my target 3, 4 or 5 boards and still make it back to a solid pocket.

The bad new was that when I increase the ball speed I lost the roll and the area I kept trying the new approach for another practice game and through the start of the 1st league game but it was a horrible thing to watch I shot my 1st 150 game in quite some time. fortunately the rest of my team was red hot and able to cover for me so we did win the game. i went back to my regular approach and rolled a decent couple of games and the team won 3 of the 4.

I will keep working on new approach during off league nights but i will only apply the technique single pin spares during the league until I can maintain a quality roll and regain the area that I have been blessed with.

Thanks everyone for your advice it is not wasted and I will apply it is small doses until I feel comfortable

Thanks Again

BowlCalc

#96432 - 06/26/09 10:36 AM Re: Increase Speed of Bowling Ball [Re: BowlCalc]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Sounds like a good plan BowlCalc, just remember that any time you change something in your game it will reset everything so you will lose your release, maybe timing, and accuracy for a short time. I would say if you were to go to the lanes once a day and use it, within a week you should be profecient enough to employ the new technique in league. You might not shoot lights out but you should be relatively competitive.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Fin09 - 12/14/18 11:31 AM
New Pro Shop Near My House
by Mkirchie - 11/26/18 05:05 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by spr3wr - 11/24/18 08:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all
by djp1080 - 11/22/18 10:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.