BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95640 - 06/17/09 03:08 PM Tips to get back to a semi-roller release?
ASUWoody Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 31/Male/Glendale,AZ
Over the years I have noticed that I have been doing things to now have a spinner type release. I used to have my track fairly close to my fingers and thumb,but now it is much much lower! I used to be pretty good on oily conditions and weaker on dryer conditions but with this spinner type release I have flipped the conditions.

What are some drills and tips to get back under the ball and roll it rather than spin it? I am looking for drills that I can spend a hole practice session or more working on to get back to normal by winter season.

Thanks for any and all opinions.

Shawn

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#95642 - 06/17/09 03:24 PM Re: Tips to get back to a semi-roller release? [Re: ASUWoody]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Hey, this one I know all about, since I do a spinner as well as a hooker. I like to throw a hooker at least once a week (joke).

Okay, so here's the scoop - for both s spinner and a hooker I come around the side of the ball 90*, so my hand is in the handshake position. The difference is that for the hooker, The hand is behind the ball (firm wrist) and ofr a spinner the hand is on top of the ball (broken or relaxed wrist). I always get to the ankle with the thumb pointing at my target, then quickly twist the wrist.

The other big difference is that for the hooker, the thumb must come out first, while for hte spinner, the thumb and fingers come out more or less simultaneously.

That's all there is to it.

You can practice throwing at home by standing next to your couch and throwing the ball onto it (check with te boss first).
The Slowinski articles are excellent. I do his release as well as the above-described release. The way I do his release is that I do not rotate the wrist. Instead, I hold the ball with a firm wirst so that the fingers are in the lower hemisphere (not cupping the wrist, jsut a firm wrist). I make a 45* angle to the lane. The thumb comes out first. Then, as the ball drops off my fingers, the rotation tat's imparted is 45* to the lane, and I have a nice consistent hook with 45* rotation.

So that's 3 of my 10 shots.... Hope that helps.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#95643 - 06/17/09 03:26 PM Re: Tips to get back to a semi-roller release? [Re: 10PinGaloot]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

Oh, I remembered one other thing - You might start with the fingers under the ball, but then come over the top with them instead of lettig the ball drop off the hand. That's because you're not keeping the fingers under the ball. SO you need to be conscious of keeping the fingers in the lower hemisphere as you twist the wrist, or in the case of Slowinksi, as the ball drops off the fingers.

#95671 - 06/17/09 06:02 PM Re: Tips to get back to a semi-roller release? [Re: 10PinGaloot]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

You can beef up your forearm by doing wrist curls with a kettlebell. I use a 10#. The advantage over a spring hand exerciser is that it doesn't strain your tendons. My kettlebels are from Kettlenetics, but you can get them from lots of sources. Just Google "kettlebells".

Also, to help you hold onto the ball in the firm wrist position, you might consider changing the pitch of your thumbhole to a more forward pitch.

Another thing you can try is to throw straight for a while, not trying to hook it, but letting your thumb come out first. Let your fingers go towards your target, with a good strong follow-through. Get used to doing this with a firm wrist, then add the twist once you're comfortable with it.

#95713 - 06/18/09 10:10 AM Re: Tips to get back to a semi-roller release? [Re: 10PinGaloot]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: SpareMe
You might start with the fingers under the ball, but then come over the top with them...

I could have said this better - You might start with a firm wrist, and the hand behind the ball. Then as you rotate around the ball, your wrist goes limp, placing the fingers on top of the ball instead of to the side of the ball.
This is why I recommended working out with kettlebells - to make your wrist strong enough to not "drop" the ball as you're releasing it.

Another point - in the releases I do, the midroll is applied by rotation of the wrist around the ball. The side roll is applied by the dropping of the ball off of the hand. If the hand is held in a steady position, and the ball allowed to drop off it, then side revs are applied at whatever angle the wrist has to the lane, regardless of the path of the pendulum swing. The ball will follow the path of the pendulum swing down the lane, with rotation to the side.

If the wrist goes limp as the ball is dropping off it then the revs of the side roll are reduced. The danger of rotating around the ball is that you might pull it to the left. This can happen when you hang onto the ball instead of letting it drop off.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/16/18 09:27 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
End of Days
by Dennis Michael - 07/15/18 07:34 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.