BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#9562 - 05/15/01 07:42 PM To hook or not to hook
stefanme Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: new zealand
I am a 140 average bowler and have now learnt to bowl both conventional and hook, but am unsure what style is better to use. I got a custom ball about 4 months ago that can be bowled either way, I am getting all sorts of problems now because i cant decided what path to follow, to hook or not too hook
and what are the merrits?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#9563 - 05/15/01 10:49 PM Re: To hook or not to hook
southpaw Offline
Bumper Bowler

To hook or not to hook: Throwing a hook will be the perfered way to up your average. A straight ball will tend to deflect off the one rather than driving into the pocket thus giving you that proper 1-3-5-9 ball to pin reaction(for right handers). The first thing you should do before anything happens is to make the commitment to using the hook ball instead of switching back and forth. Be confident with what your trying and practice this style, remember rome wasnt built in a day and nor is bowling success so be patient and good luck.

#9564 - 05/15/01 11:47 PM Re: To hook or not to hook
stefanme Offline
Bumper Bowler

I have been having coaching and he suggested
that I start hooking the ball, but bowl a conventional line, now i am hooking the ball too much, am getting the 7,10 split regularly
and my average is dropping, my bowling action is now screwed up. Anyone got any suggestions on what i should be doing?

ta

#9565 - 05/16/01 10:42 AM Re: To hook or not to hook
Dude Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Warsaw,Poland
hello!
i am absolute beginner in bowling, playing just over a year, but i do have some average (190) and i am hooking the ball and i will till the end of the world. Reason? You will never get the point with straight shooting which will guarantee the strike. with the hook you will get some 100% guarantee strike points when hitting the pocket. the highest angle the higher tolerance for getting the strike. when you are shooting straight, if you are good and you are working hard, you can reach the average of 185, maybe even 195 but never more! Remember: in every shot you will make with straight shooting you will be needing some luck!!! Its impossible to have luck all over again. So my advice is: learn hooking. Definitely. I was working on my hook, on my technic of shooting for a six months, actually i did start it with the houseball. My average for some time was terrible: it was even less than 120. But at the moment I can tell you for sure: it was worth it. so practice, practice and practice and you'll see. I promise.

#9566 - 05/16/01 02:09 PM Re: To hook or not to hook
The Fish Bowl Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: My owner's desk
Consistency is key. If you cannot deliver your ball and hit the mark you are aiming for consistently then it really doesn't matter if you are trying to throw it straight or hook it. Once you're consistent with your delivery then you can try to hook the ball some. Also don't throw out your spare game so that you can achieve a big hook. I see to many people do that and their average suffers. HUGE Hook is only impressive for an instant. Winning lots of tournaments is even more impressive. wink

Fishy hasn't had a night out in a long time. Please donate using PAYPAL! ;-)

#9567 - 05/16/01 02:26 PM Re: To hook or not to hook
Idahocoach Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: Boise, Idaho
Dear Stephanie,

Avoid melt down, work on one item at a time. Till you can do it consistantly. Notice I didn't say perfectly.

Right now it sounds like you need to learn to adjust for "the hook that YOU are throwing". It is something that you can learn. General principle, move your feet in the direction of the miss. Example if the ball is coming in high, hiting more of the head pin, move you feet to the left a couple of boards(for a right hander), and keep you mark the same. If the miss is real big, crosses over in front head pin, comes in on the 2 pin, you may have to adjust your mark also.

Ask your coach about adjusting. There are web pages with both text and graphics showing how to adjust.

All transitions in your game can be confusing and fustrating. There is light at the end of the tunnel, and a lot of fun.

Lon

shocked
eek

[ 05-16-2001: Edited: Idahocoach ]

#9568 - 05/16/01 03:46 PM Re: To hook or not to hook
GoodCoach Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Kent, Washington
'Idaho' is correct (Yo, Ho!). If you are missing to the left, move your feet a couple of boards to the left and shoot at the same target. Still high? Move another board. There are two basic ways of throwing a hook. Lets say you are right handed and throw at the second arrow. One way is to throw the ball straight down the board with the second arrow and let the ball hook into the pocket as it comes out of the oil on the back end. The other way is to direct the ball toward the pins on an angle like you were throwing a straight ball, but again aiming to the right, so that the ball hooks into the pocket as it comes out of the oil. You'll need to practice and get consistency so you can decide what line and target combination works best for the lane conditions you are on. Let us know how you do, and if you can find a coach or a clinic, so much the better.

GoodCoach
USA Silver
Seattle, Wa cool

#9569 - 05/16/01 07:59 PM Re: To hook or not to hook
stefanme Offline
Bumper Bowler

I have been advised that getting some inserts put in my ball should be the way to go, since i am learning to hook I may as well go the hole hog and get them placed in also. Would this be the smart thing to do? so I am getting use to a similar amount of hook everytime?

#9570 - 05/16/01 11:56 PM Re: To hook or not to hook
GoodCoach Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Kent, Washington
There are a couple of shadings to your question and the answer. The inserts are definitely a plus. It not only will help you get similar hooking action, but the reason you can get that consistency is because the surface of the insert gives you a consistent feel. Without inserts, your fingers are grabbing the shell of the ball which can be slightly uneven. An insert, gives you a better 'feel'. Adding inserts may require that the ball be plugged and drilled, since the holes will need to be larger AND possibly (probably) moved to make up for the difference in the thickness of the insert. Simply enlarging the hole and slapping in an insert will shorten your span and can cause discomfort or make you feel the need to grip the ball to keep control. Work closely with the people doing the job and get your questions asked.

#9571 - 05/17/01 03:42 PM Re: To hook or not to hook
Idahocoach Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: Boise, Idaho
Dear Stefanme,

As ussual Goodcoach is right on the mark.

A couple of things that you should look for and ask about.

Inserts have different shapes and the different colors ussually indicate various hardness of the rubber in the inserts.

Inserts will also wear down, requiring periodic replacements.

I have also had bowlers who have blown one out in the middle of league or tournament play. Because of that they carry spares, incase the Pro Shop isn't open.

At this stage of your game, I doubt any of this will be much of a problem for you. But start learning the process now.

Idahocoach laugh

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
no one on for 5 days
by 82Boat69 - 1 second ago
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:12 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 08:42 AM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.