BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95356 - 06/15/09 02:52 PM Re: Please Help!!!! [Re: Rob183]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Yes your arm should be straight as it starts into the backswing. The swing-hinge is nice because it can be done two different ways, like TJ or like Barnes. Either way they both free up their swings. Personally, I like the way Barnes does it because gravity is the driving force from start to finish. Whereas TJ it looks more like he gets up to his 0G spot and then he waits for the ball to come back down but again that is me.

As for focusing on different parts of your arm to relax it, I suppose that is one way to do it. I like to focus on the entire thing. I start with my hand and often times I tell it to relax verbally (I've been trying to free up my grip), and I continue with the rest of my arm. You have to understand that in a free swing the engine is gravity, the ball is the car, but your hand and arm aren't the driver(s). They are the passengers along for a free flowing relaxing ride.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#95363 - 06/15/09 05:06 PM Re: Please Help!!!! [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Rob183 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 34/m/Miami, Fl
I see Chris Barnes push his arm out a little? I thought with the hinge y keep your elbow at your side at all times...

#95364 - 06/15/09 05:19 PM Re: Please Help!!!! [Re: Rob183]
Rob183 Offline
Action Bowler

Also can you tell if your arm is really relaxed.. Should I keep my wrist firm.. When I do that my arm tense up...

#95374 - 06/15/09 06:02 PM Re: Please Help!!!! [Re: Rob183]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
If you keep your elbow directly by your side it will jerk when it gets to the bottom of the swing. The idea here is to round out the push and drop so that there are no sharp points. The arm should be straight by the time it is around 45* from the ground - the third picture in Tommy Jones's spread.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#95469 - 06/16/09 01:37 PM Re: Please Help!!!! [Re: Rob183]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Originally Posted By: Rob183
Also can you tell if your arm is really relaxed.. Should I keep my wrist firm.. When I do that my arm tense up...

cg, answered your first question so I'll answier this one. Yes, you should practice with a strong wrist position and stay behind the ball. It took me a little while (meaning about 3 months) to get this down and I'm still working on it. This part has a lot to do with relaxing your hand, straightening out your thumb and adjusting and making sure your fit is right. Additionally, you have to be willing to trust the cetriphical force that is acting on the ball. If any of these are off in the slightest it can cause your swing to be tenser than it should be.

For example, last Thrusday near the end of league, I dropped the ball in my backswing. That tells me two things. First it tells me that I have a nice relaxed hand and pretty decent position, except for the occasional times that I drop the ball or tense my arm through sqeezing to retain that position. Overall though for me, I view it as a good thing. Second, it tells me that I have to make an adjustment to the tape in my thumbhole. So I did, made the adjustment and continued on to finish with a 222 that game.

Hope that helps.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#95524 - 06/16/09 07:30 PM Re: Please Help!!!! [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Rob183 Offline
Action Bowler

OK, just tell me if this is what I am seeing and hearing from this post. For a five step delivery these basic things should happen..

First Step - Short step to get you started.

Second Step - You start your push away..

Third Step - Ball should be in time with your non slide leg. Arm should be straight and either right next to or a little behind your non slide leg..

Fourth step - Ball should be at the top of the swing getting ready to come into the slide. Should be pushing off with your non slide leg to a nice, clean, power push off.

Fifth Step - Your into slide getting ready to release at the end of the slide. No rotation of your hand til the ball is at or close to your ankle..

Also I have noticed that the ball needs to follow the non slide leg so the hip can get out the way properly... In my video I see the ball at the top of the swing at my third step in which I bend my arm to get it in time with my fourth step. So in that case I am super early... So should I work on getting the ball next to my leg at the third step still moving back to the top of the swing.. The ball should not be at the top of the swing til the fourth step... Please let me know if I am right...

#95539 - 06/16/09 09:40 PM Re: Please Help!!!! [Re: Rob183]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Set up with the ball over your right foot, and in line with your head, knees flexed and head forward over your right foot (right handed). Keep the weight of the ball in your left hand and your right hand relaxed.

1st step half step to get started.

2nd step start the ball with your right foot by lifting the ball slightly up and toward your target with your left hand.

3rd step the ball swings back as your left foot comes forward, the ball is at your right hip as your left foot compresses on the step. Your left arm turns thumb down and points toward the target.

4th step is fast, short and beds low to propel you forward into the slide, as this happens, the ball reaches the top of the swing

Slide, toe touches first, ball falls free from the top of the swing, wrist stays in position on the inside of the ball.

Release: Slide foot stops, left arm comes back, ball comes through, wrist unwraps, fingers extend through the bottom of the ball. follow through to break point and watch ball all the way to the pins, try to anticipate when it will hook so you can develop a feel for the break point.

sorry if I missed anything

#95663 - 06/17/09 04:56 PM Re: Please Help!!!! [Re: CoachJim]
Rob183 Offline
Action Bowler

Does the last two steps are quick almost like a skip step or should all my steps be even and the same til the slide. Been watching a lot of bowlers and most of them either speed up right at the end or take a kind of skip step at the end.. In my video I tend to take that skip step at the end of my swing.. One coach says that isn't good. What is the right way..

#95668 - 06/17/09 05:50 PM Re: Please Help!!!! [Re: Rob183]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
If you say out loud each word, that is the cadence for bowling, including the "ands": 1 and 2 and 3 4 slide.

Skip steps are not usually good, unless you bowl two handed like Belmonte.

#95711 - 06/18/09 09:31 AM Re: Please Help!!!! [Re: CoachJim]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
The only pro bowler I can think of off the top of my head (Belmonte not included) that was able to work with a skip step is Jason Hurd. Other than him, most all others have a quick step but not a "skip".
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.