BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95098 - 06/13/09 03:18 PM more aggressive hooking ball to add to arsenal?
evilash71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/ TX
Ok i have a brunswick copperhead, and swarm both drilled to go long and snap, the swarm a little more agressively. Anyhow, i really have to slow down and lower my starting ball position to get these to grab the lane when they dry up or medium oil.
I want to add a ball that is very aggressive, have it drilled as such and use it that way so that even though i use a higher arc in my backswing the ball will still "grab" and turn in time before getting to far into the pin area.

COach mentioned Virtual Gravity. Any other suggestions out there while Im looking. I prefer pearl to matte in terms of balls but open to anything.
thanks
evil
#14 MUTANT CELL PEARL
#14 ROTO DARK STAR
#14 ROTO RISING STAR
#14 ROTO OUTLAW
#14 ROTO GRENADE
#14 T ZONE SPAREBALL
#14 Storm Frantic

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#95100 - 06/13/09 03:27 PM Re: more aggressive hooking ball to add to arsenal? [Re: evilash71]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
I'd look at the Siege Brunswick is coming out with. If you want to try another brand, I suggest the Dimension, Cell, or Full Swing when that comes out.

#95104 - 06/13/09 03:50 PM Re: more aggressive hooking ball to add to arsenal? [Re: evilash71]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: evilash71
Ok i have a brunswick copperhead, and swarm both drilled to go long and snap, the swarm a little more agressively. Anyhow, i really have to slow down and lower my starting ball position to get these to grab the lane when they dry up or medium oil.
I want to add a ball that is very aggressive, have it drilled as such and use it that way so that even though i use a higher arc in my backswing the ball will still "grab" and turn in time before getting to far into the pin area.

COach mentioned Virtual Gravity. Any other suggestions out there while Im looking. I prefer pearl to matte in terms of balls but open to anything.
thanks
evil

Wait.. you said you have a problem getting the ball to hook when the lanes "dry up"? You don't need something more aggressive. You need something less aggressive. The copperhead is on the higher end of the aggressiveness scale. I can't imagine you really need something that is more aggressive. The swarm is actually a much less aggressive ball. You saying that the swarm is reacting more is even further evidence that the problem you're having is that the ball is to aggressive for the condition, not that you need a more aggressive ball.

#95109 - 06/13/09 04:35 PM Re: more aggressive hooking ball to add to arsenal? [Re: Lefty]
mikhial66 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 20/M/FL
Lefty, I have a Copperhead drilled to go long and I do have a BVP Wizard drilled up to hook early so I use the Wizard on wetter lanes or when I need something to turn early.
Python
Midnight Vibe
T-Zone (Spare)
Copperhead(THS Ball)

#95115 - 06/13/09 04:51 PM Re: more aggressive hooking ball to add to arsenal? [Re: mikhial66]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I'm not sure I'm understanding the problem either. Seems that when the lanes dry out, you should get more reaction not less.

Only couple things that I can think of to explain this are 1. you get too fast yourself. You start throwing the ball harder and harder as you get into your set to the point where you are over throwing the ball and not letting it hook. Or 2. you are trying to play too deep for the pattern and once you are warmed up (which is normal) the ball is not in a dry enough area of the lane to be effective. or.... aybe 3. your center gets huge amounts of carry down, which smears the oil down to the pin deck reducing backend which will cut down the hook on the balls.

The VG is a matt finish ball. So if you prefer those, then I'm not sure why your coach recommended it. But the Virtual Energy is coming out and that's a semi pearl finish. I have a Hammer Hot Sauce and that ball hooks a ton. With the VG being dull, it looses a lot of energy for me on most house shots, but the Hot Sauce being polished works great.
Erin

#95123 - 06/13/09 05:09 PM Re: more aggressive hooking ball to add to arsenal? [Re: evilash71]
who's that Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 35 Male New Jersey
Getting a more aggressive ball won't fix your problem. When you said that a coach mentioned a Virtual Gravity, was that based off of watching you throw the ball, or just because you asked him what's a really aggressive ball? I have a feeling you ment to say medium/heavy oil, not dry/medium.

2 Cruel (pre-ordered)
Raptor P7
Raptor Attack
Buzz Attack

Secondary Equipment

Sting Widow Maker
Cruel C5
Xtreme Damage
Terminator

#95167 - 06/14/09 12:16 AM Re: more aggressive hooking ball to add to arsenal? [Re: who's that]
evilash71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/ TX
Heres the scoop. If the lanes are just right i can slow down my swing and get the ball to hit the pocket but since i am slowing down my swing it wont carry as much.

If i increase my speed the copperhead and the swarm both go too long and i dont carry.

So i want something that even if i increase my speed, the ball will still grab and hook and not go too long.

part of this is the way i have them drilled but i dont want to change them, i like the balls for what they are, I just want to add to my arsenal and i dont want another copperhead.

The lanes getting drier to cause more hook, so i therefore increase my speed but in doing so i blow right through and it wont grab so i get left either having to throw slower and let the ball hook off the lanes or throw harder and it straightens out too much.

Its not DRY lanes im talking about. its when they start to dry out and are about medium. So there is still oil just not heavy by any means. So a more aggressive ball would alow me to throw the ball faster(higher swing) without it skating right through the oil and not carrying.

So maybe what i am saying is In between lane conditions. Too oily for me to throw my current equipment fast, and too dry for me to throw them slow. They hit the pocket but not solid because i am slowing them down.
#14 MUTANT CELL PEARL
#14 ROTO DARK STAR
#14 ROTO RISING STAR
#14 ROTO OUTLAW
#14 ROTO GRENADE
#14 T ZONE SPAREBALL
#14 Storm Frantic

#95171 - 06/14/09 12:51 AM Re: more aggressive hooking ball to add to arsenal? [Re: evilash71]
larry m Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 39 m bayonne nj usa
i think u r getting carrydown which is causing your pearls to keep skidding,, i think u need a medium oil solid ball,, a solid doesnt rely on bone dry backends like a pearl does,, a med oil solid would allow you to keep your normal ball speed and hit the pocket

#95173 - 06/14/09 01:06 AM Re: more aggressive hooking ball to add to arsenal? [Re: larry m]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
Its not DRY lanes im talking about. its when they start to dry out and are about medium. So there is still oil just not heavy by any means. So a more aggressive ball would alow me to throw the ball faster(higher swing) without it skating right through the oil and not carrying.

So maybe what i am saying is In between lane conditions. Too oily for me to throw my current equipment fast, and too dry for me to throw them slow. They hit the pocket but not solid because i am slowing them down.

You never mention moving on the lane or trying to adjust to the condition beyond changing balls.

Erin

#95174 - 06/14/09 01:22 AM Re: more aggressive hooking ball to add to arsenal? [Re: evilash71]
mikhial66 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 20/M/FL
Originally Posted By: evilash71
If i increase my speed the copperhead and the swarm both go too long and i dont carry.

This doesn't make sense. You are saying that the balls are hooking too much, but if you increase your speeds they won't hook enough. You may be putting more revs on the ball when you throw it faster and the ball is rolling out. That could be it. Assuming it's a THS, you should just ball down to your swarm, and move your feet and mark left but still have the same breakpoint. Either that, or ball up and move way left and play in the oil.

To be honest, it sounds like you're not playing the lanes right when they breakdown. If that's the case, getting a new ball won't help you that much if you don't know where to move. Also, I wouldn't change ballspeed as much as your line, but that's just me. You don't have to change your approach at all while changing your line, but ball speed does. Always look for the most simplistic approach.
Python
Midnight Vibe
T-Zone (Spare)
Copperhead(THS Ball)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Fin09 - 12/14/18 11:31 AM
New Pro Shop Near My House
by Mkirchie - 11/26/18 05:05 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by spr3wr - 11/24/18 08:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all
by djp1080 - 11/22/18 10:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.