BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95074 - 06/13/09 09:32 AM Acceleration prior to release
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Been reading some instructional material. And, the subject comes up a couple of times that a slight acceleration is to be added just prior to the release. My question is, how do you add acceleration without using any muscles?

I've tried this, and I find the acceleration comes form my shoulder, which pulls my arm, wrist and hand through the ball. But, it quickly develops into hitting up on the ball. Are my final steps to increase in speed? Does my pushoff cause this automatically, and I am adding my arm to the equation?

What is the method to be used?
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#95075 - 06/13/09 09:53 AM Re: Acceleration prior to release [Re: Dennis Michael]
Shale Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 27/M/WI
This was actually a tip I received recently, and I have been practicing it.

It works best when I do a completely free swing, the acceleration I add is all at the INSTANT the ball is at my ankle, yes I use muscle, but I think it is mostly in my wrist/forearm and not my shoulder/legs.

Im still not perfect at it, but it is an acceleration through the ball I believe, with the hand/wrist. I can tell when I do it wrong because I throws me off my mark, but when I do it right it adds revs mostly, sometimes a little speed.

Will be interested to see the other feedback.
Emmy Vibe(256)
Hot Sauce Pearl(254)
Viz-A-Ball white
IYC League:
Avg:185
HG: 245
Series: 610
Storm League
Avg: 181
HG: 224
Series: 595

#95078 - 06/13/09 10:54 AM Re: Acceleration prior to release [Re: Shale]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
You have to use your muscles. There's no 2 ways about it. That said, you use very little and it's at the release point. You've got a good amount of momentum at that point and you really don't have to add much more.

I think one of the issues is that most bowlers are so accustomed to using so much muscle that trying to tell them to just use a little at the release point will end up with them still using a tremendous amount of muscles. I think it's easier to at least get someone to experience a completely free swing and then add back in very small amounts of force in comparison to what they were previously accustomed to.

#95084 - 06/13/09 11:34 AM Re: Acceleration prior to release [Re: Lefty]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

This is compounded by the fact that so many instructions suggest your ball arm is to follow up, over your head. I find that this adds to the hitting up motion, and muscle. If I leave my arm pointed at the target, there is much less muscle being used.

#95091 - 06/13/09 01:09 PM Re: Acceleration prior to release [Re: Dennis Michael]
Shale Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 27/M/WI
When I accelerate through the ball I end up with my hand in front of my face, so i come through the ball to the left, but I think thats what lets me put a 45 degree rotation on it as well, since I dont just want to come up the side and put nearly 90 on it, as a traditional follow through looks like.

Picture your fingers on the left bottom side of the ball, accelerate through the bottom and then up the back towards the left at a 45 degreeish angle... thats what I try to do... not saying it is right, but the bottom move of my fingers from bottom left to bottom right, over to the bottom right gives it some movement which is then amplified and directed at the proper angle i want, when i move from the bottom right up to the top left as it rolls off my fingers.

Im probably overthinking it thought :P

Edited by Shale (06/13/09 01:11 PM)
Emmy Vibe(256)
Hot Sauce Pearl(254)
Viz-A-Ball white
IYC League:
Avg:185
HG: 245
Series: 610
Storm League
Avg: 181
HG: 224
Series: 595

#95097 - 06/13/09 03:13 PM Re: Acceleration prior to release [Re: Shale]
evilash71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/ TX
why not accelerate your last two steps on your approach first and see what that does before altering your swing.
#14 MUTANT CELL PEARL
#14 ROTO DARK STAR
#14 ROTO RISING STAR
#14 ROTO OUTLAW
#14 ROTO GRENADE
#14 T ZONE SPAREBALL
#14 Storm Frantic

#95101 - 06/13/09 03:33 PM Re: Acceleration prior to release [Re: Dennis Michael]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Three things will propel the ball through the release, none of them include ripping through the ball:

1. The power step going into the slide builds ball speed and momentum through the release. The key to a good power step is to have the ball at your hip on the second step of a 4 step delivery, this will cause the ball to reach the top of the back swing and force a quick and short third step which will spring the bowlers momentum down and forward through the slide.

2. Read Joe Slowinski's article about the balance arm:
http://www.bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/june09_article.pdf

Pulling the balance arm back propels the arm and hand through the release.

3. C0cking and or cupping the wrist into the release will also propel the arm and hand through the release. It has to be done after the ball drops down from the top of the back swing and before the release.

Edited by CoachJim (06/13/09 03:34 PM)

#95122 - 06/13/09 05:08 PM Re: Acceleration prior to release [Re: CoachJim]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Jim, I figured it had to be the power step, and not the arm. That coupled with the balance arm pulled back will push the ball arm forward as well, as your shoulders rotate. This makes more sense then using arm muscle.

Too many articles say to add speed just as your ball reaches your ankle, but don't explain how.

#95131 - 06/13/09 05:53 PM Re: Acceleration prior to release [Re: Dennis Michael]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
Too many articles say to add speed just as your ball reaches your ankle, but don't explain how.

There have been many many articles and books with the accelerate through the release, and not until the last few years was it explained how to do it.

This is why I read BTM and Bowlers Journal and the usbc coaching updates, and keep an eye on Bowling books coming out and all the various websites to try to stay up on things. So little study has been done on bowling that it seems more and more is learned all the time. Sometimes just reading about the same topic in someone else's words helps turn on a light bulb.

Let me knowhow it works out and which of the three worked best for you.

#95159 - 06/13/09 09:45 PM Re: Acceleration prior to release [Re: CoachJim]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
My comment wasn't about ripping through the ball. It's more like just reaching out. I've found when I just let momentum take my arm wherever it will go, I don't get as good of a ball reaction as when I purposely reach out. I'm talking about a very tiny amount of muscle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - Today at 03:59 PM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Today at 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.