BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94990 - 06/12/09 12:33 PM Bowling practice video....Tips please!
Justinmill14 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 18/male/Tennessee
This is some practice on the viper with my x-factor. Any tips are appreciated!

Cell Pearl
Furious
Reign
Natural
Hammer Onyx Vibe
Columbia 300 Outburst

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#94993 - 06/12/09 12:52 PM Re: Bowling practice video....Tips please! [Re: Justinmill14]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
I'd have you start the ball up higher and let it swing a bit. You start it very low, which makes you pull it up in the backswing. When that happens, you pull it behind your back. Try to get the weight of the ball in your left hand to start, and put it at least waist high - to get a full swing as high as your swing is currently, I'd probably start the ball around the bottom of your rib cage.

I like your alignment to start - head over ball over right toe. Take advantage of that good alignment with an actual pushaway smile

I'd also say you can probably be a bit nicer to the ball at release, and it would probably add to your reaction.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#94998 - 06/12/09 02:00 PM Re: Bowling practice video....Tips please! [Re: cgeorg]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
To add to what cgeorg said, one of the downfalls of pulling the ball up the backswing and then forcing the ball through the release is that you end up with inconsistent ball speed. It's hard to tell from the video, but it appears that's exactly why the ball went through th beak. It was slower than the previous shots.

The more you let gravity do, the less variation you'll see.

#95002 - 06/12/09 02:54 PM Re: Bowling practice video....Tips please! [Re: Lefty]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Come on, we all know there's no such thing as a free swing. Or is that a free lunch?

laugh

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#95032 - 06/12/09 06:37 PM Re: Bowling practice video....Tips please! [Re: cgeorg]
Justinmill14 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

Thanks guys, so far I have gathered:

Start ball higher
Better Pushaway
Not tensing up at the realease...?

one thing I know I need to work on is keeping my hand behind the ball. I have tried everything though and just can't do it. Even when I feel like I am, I will take a video and Im actually not..
Cell Pearl
Furious
Reign
Natural
Hammer Onyx Vibe
Columbia 300 Outburst

#95034 - 06/12/09 07:06 PM Re: Bowling practice video....Tips please! [Re: Justinmill14]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
From my own experience, getting around the ball early was caused by me trying to come through the ball to early. What I did to stop doing that was to make myself wait to follow through until the ball got to my foot. So you should not be engaging any arm muscles to do anything on the down swing until you the ball gets to your foot. What I had to do was repeatedly say in my head, "waaaaaaaait" and stretch that word out until the ball got to my foot. If you start to come through th ball before that, your hand will turn early.

#95037 - 06/12/09 07:52 PM Re: Bowling practice video....Tips please! [Re: Lefty]
Time-To-Roll Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: female, Port Angeles Wa. right...
it seems we all have this early turn tendency, especially the further left I move. I was looking at the Mike Fagan video. He keeps his wrist straight as his fingers come through and up toward his face. We really do not get to see this part of the release on video, as it is too fast.A blur. Time warp did a good job.I may let my wrist break back too much, so back to the brace and see how it goes.?? How about wait and straight equals great!
Time to Roll

#95039 - 06/12/09 08:09 PM Re: Bowling practice video....Tips please! [Re: Time-To-Roll]
Justinmill14 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

If you watch my hand in the video, my hand turns all the way before I get to the top of my back swing...how do I fix that??
Cell Pearl
Furious
Reign
Natural
Hammer Onyx Vibe
Columbia 300 Outburst

#95045 - 06/12/09 08:33 PM Re: Bowling practice video....Tips please! [Re: Justinmill14]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Actually at the top of the back swing your hand goes from the outside of the ball to more behind the ball but then as you pull the ball back down you get back on the side of the ball. I think a big part of it is the muscling of the swing. Some of it is the thought process of "I have to make the ball hook," instead of letting the ball do the work.

For staying more behind the ball have you tried the back up ball drill?
HS:763

#95047 - 06/12/09 09:05 PM Re: Bowling practice video....Tips please! [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Justinmill14 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

Yeah I tried it and it didn't work, I actually took a video and when I did the back up drill, my hand would be on the outside and then I would turn it in right before release...
Cell Pearl
Furious
Reign
Natural
Hammer Onyx Vibe
Columbia 300 Outburst

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
After 8onths my centre has finally reopened
by looseleftie - 11/28/20 05:10 PM
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 11/28/20 01:37 PM
This is a damned shame
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.