BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94456 - 06/08/09 12:39 AM Removing your thumb consciously?
Shale Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 27/M/WI
For a while I have wondered if my thumb was leaving the ball soon enough to take advantage of bring the rev fingers up the back of the ball. Ive had a few moments where I felt the ball drop onto my two fingers at the bottom of my swing and the revs went through the roof comparatively.

This got me thinking and I started practicing removing my thumb manually during the release instead of it falling off... im guessing this isnt proper but I have noticed it works... Ive re-evaluated my fit a few times, upped thumb hole and started using tape so the ball is perfect fit, i just feel like Im not exiting properly or something, even though I dont feel it catch.
Emmy Vibe(256)
Hot Sauce Pearl(254)
Viz-A-Ball white
IYC League:
Avg:185
HG: 245
Series: 610
Storm League
Avg: 181
HG: 224
Series: 595

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#94463 - 06/08/09 05:28 AM Re: Removing your thumb consciously? [Re: Shale]
lbII Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 39/M/UK
I concur with your point.
My release can be quite eratic.
Good for a few releases than it can
go 'hay-wire' every single time i bowl, never consistent.

Then i decided to slow down my speed by moving up on my setup approach. Followed by making a consious attempt to release the thumb first everytime(however, whether this is actually happening or not i can't confirm, lol).

But i do see a considerable improvement in my release when i execute it this way (making a genuine attempt at releasing the thunb first and then just follow through with the arm/hand).

#94820 - 06/11/09 09:58 AM Re: Removing your thumb consciously? [Re: lbII]
mattyg3535 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34/M/cocoa. Fl
Sometimes it is just proper fit of the thumb that makes the difference. I went to switch grips because of my swelling/shrinking thumb. When you get the right feel on your thumb you should just be able to relax you whole hand and feel nothing upon release. You should be able to turn off your brain when you make a shot. If you don't grip at the bottom of your swing and let the ball drop from the apex without forcing it down, you should achieve what your looking for without manually getting you thumb out. Practice with your wrist broken back and you will see if you are grabbing or if you fit is wrong. Thumb should fall out first and you will get your fingers out over the top half of the ball. Use a video camera from the side and watch it frame by frame. Good luck! Post your results.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/14/18 12:15 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.