BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94809 - 06/11/09 09:24 AM Kegel Sport Pattern League Tips.
mattyg3535 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34/M/cocoa. Fl
I have been looking for help with my first sport pattern league but did not find the specific info I was looking for so I am going to list my experiences. My league requires us to play on Highway to Hell, Winding Road and Dead Man's Curve.
First week is Highway to Hell. Here is my experience. Don't play outside 12. The out of bounds is very pronounced. If you like to play straight I would suggest targeting 12-13. If you like to swing it you are going to have a problem because left of 15 will take off when it hits the dry of you don't have much error if you pull it. I was throwing 16mph with about 300rpm. Stood on 22-23 and targeted 12-13. Flirted with touching 11 just to get a little more revs with my Virtual Gravity. Worked well for my first time shooting on this pattern. I got a little daring in my second game. I wanted to see what my Gravity was capable but I didn't have enough hand to overcome the OB. Shot 202, 169 then changed pairs and shot 211 and 188.
Hope this helps anyone looking for advice playing the pattern? I will be shooting this pattern again tonight. I will pay more attention to the other balls, lines and types of bowlers this time and will post the results.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#94813 - 06/11/09 09:28 AM Re: Kegel Sport Pattern League Tips. [Re: mattyg3535]
mattyg3535 Offline
Bracket Donor

Forgot! My average is about 200. I averaged 192.5 and was 3rd in average that night and 4th in total points for 4 games.

#94819 - 06/11/09 09:56 AM Re: Kegel Sport Pattern League Tips. [Re: mattyg3535]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 29/M/Merritt Island, FL
Nice start Matt,
what bowling center is this, River?
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 4
Career 800 series - 4
High Scratch Series - 823

#94823 - 06/11/09 10:12 AM Re: Kegel Sport Pattern League Tips. [Re: sk8shorty01]
mattyg3535 Offline
Bracket Donor

Yea. 11 week league. Was going to go to join the Shore scratch but I wanted to test my skills on sport pattern. Going to try to get some practice in at Shore next week. We should meet up. I am free all day so I want to try to get there at 3 on their fresh house pattern. Let me know what day you are going to be up there.

#94927 - 06/11/09 09:08 PM Re: Kegel Sport Pattern League Tips. [Re: mattyg3535]
mattyg3535 Offline
Bracket Donor

First pair of of games on a fresh Highway to Hell pattern and I shot a 180 and a 211. I first tried to use a timid shot on the same line I used last week 23-23 to 12-13. I decide to try 21 up 11. This worked so much better. Skidded enough to really rev up and blasted the pocket. Everyone else stayed 1 or 2 left of me but their feet were right of me. No as for the second pair of games that is a different story. This old stupid F%^$ threw a 40 grit sanded epoxy ball all over the place and decided to wipes the ball after every through. There was no pattern or oil left. I resorted to throwing 40 to about 18 - 19 but it was loosing backend because the guy was even crossing the head pin. I will start a thread about him so please don't comment about him. Shot 153 and a 169. Hope I cross his path again next week.

#94949 - 06/12/09 05:20 AM Re: Kegel Sport Pattern League Tips. [Re: mattyg3535]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I wish I would have saw this post first, oh well here are some more questions I have for you.

You say it was out of bounds outside of 12, did you try standing on the 10 board and aiming at the first arrow (5board) and playing a slow hook straight up the 5 board to see if there actually was an out of bounds there, or did you just swing the ball out into the oil from farther in?

#94956 - 06/12/09 08:26 AM Re: Kegel Sport Pattern League Tips. [Re: CoachJim]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I actually had another bowler ask me to move my shot because we were rolling the same line and that bowler couldn't score. Funny, my ball didn't have the same trouble.

You say you were using the Virtual Gravity. Another site has an entire thread talking about carry down issues with this ball, and other Storm balls. Consensus is that balls that slide long will be affected more than those that roll early.

I too, roll a VG, and notice carry down issues. When that happens, I generally change to my BRB to roll through the carry down.

I have noticed carry down problems with another Storm ball that I had too. This keeps me away from them, in general.

Oh, back to the complaining bowler, he also rolled a Storm.

Edited by Dennis Michael (06/12/09 08:41 AM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#94959 - 06/12/09 08:56 AM Re: Kegel Sport Pattern League Tips. [Re: Dennis Michael]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Read this:

The Virtual Gravity is a low RG, high diff. bowling ball with a solid(very strong cover) designed for heavy oil. If you look at any other ball on the market with these kind of specs., you will see a ball that has a bit of control for heavy oil. This is where I think using a little more surface than box finish will give you that control with the asymmetrical reaction you are looking for in heavy oil. Also, a ball this strong is doing every thing it can to not skid too far down the lane, there fore, a bowler may try to push the ball to the dry, and find that the ball has now lost all it's energy trying not to skid to that spot, and has nothing left to make it back from there. Try tightening up your line, and keeping the ball in the oil, not throwing it to the dry so the ball can do what it is supposed to do.

I have taken these couple of minutes to help anyone out there who may feel that they are dissatisfied with the product they purchased. The Virtual Gravity is an excellent ball for heavy oil, that doesn't wear out like some people are claiming. the ball just needs to be used in the proper manner. With that said, I think the up coming Virtual Energy will fit for those bowlers who are bowling on slightly less volumes of oil, and are unable to get their Virtual gravity to store enough energy.

--------------------
Tommy Gollick
Storm Regional/Pro Shop staff
Red Crown Pro Shop Harrisburg, PA
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#95000 - 06/12/09 02:31 PM Re: Kegel Sport Pattern League Tips. [Re: Dennis Michael]
mattyg3535 Offline
Bracket Donor

First CoachJim - I only bowled a total of 8 games on this pattern. I tried to test the limits of the VG using 20 - 15 - 10 - 3. On the fresh pattern, outside of 11 is the official OB. Guys with VG and way more revs were losing it out there as well as some of the women trying to play typical house shot over 10 with Cell and Cell pearls. The high scores were all with guys able to keep the ball between 15 and 12, no matter what speed or rev rate. Letting the VG hang a little in the oil worked best for me.
Second Dennis Michael - I appreciate the article about the VG. I am very big on moving lines in as soon a the transition happens. I pride myself on it even though the house I bowl at doesn't reward me for it. The ball change I made after the 4th frame of my 1st game against Mr.40 was to a Emerald Vibe. This ball is my go to ball during dry practice sessions. I can get this ball to move like the VG. When I threw it I stayed about 14 - 15 from 22 - 23 and you could actually see it try to hook only to stop every time it crossed his path. That not working I went back to the VG and started on 40 aiming for 20. Worked well but then Mr.40 brunt his own spot and kept throwing left of the headpin. When that happened I just threw in the towel. Had a 4 bagger and that was all she wrote. It was like the guy was trying to play defense. I need to come up with a plan for the next time I cross Mr.40. When the lanes were fresh he was trying to play first arrow and skidding right. In the middle he was around the head pin. At the end he was moving his feet left and just missing all over the place. I think I might have to get a rock of my own and just stay up the back of it down and in. What a waste of a sport league.

#95003 - 06/12/09 02:56 PM Re: Kegel Sport Pattern League Tips. [Re: mattyg3535]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
For a lot of people bowling on a sport shot for the first time, they feel like there's an OB outside simply because they've never bowled on a condition before where there's actually oil out there. I wouldn't doubt in the slightest that you can't swing the ball out there. You have to stand out there. If you want to throw the ball straight up 8, you should be standing on and sliding on about 16. If you want to throw the ball straight up 5, you should be on about 13. On shorter sport patterns, I'll stand on 15 and swing the ball from 5-6 out to 2-3.

If you look at the pattern, you'll see that the oil actually tapers off starting at about 11, so you'll see a little bit of recovery out there. You won't see house shot boomerang recovery, but you can see a little bit. I would initially be looking for a breakpoint between 7 and 9 and then adjust my angle of getting there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

It's never too early for a good deal!
Shop Amazon - Countdown to Black Friday

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 10:36 PM
Subs wanted for fall virtual league
by Richie V. - 10/28/14 07:05 PM
Fall '14 Week 7 virtual league results
by Richie V. - 10/28/14 07:02 PM
Sore wrist.
by spr3wr - 10/28/14 04:14 PM
Storm Crux Video Ball Review
by BOSStull - 10/28/14 02:42 AM
2014 WTBA World Men's Championships
by Richie V. - 10/26/14 09:21 PM
Ah yes, elbow inside
by SteveH - 10/26/14 11:34 AM
Rough Comparisons of Storm & Roto Grip balls
by SteveH - 10/25/14 04:33 PM
For stubborn straight-bowlers
by SteveH - 10/24/14 05:20 PM
best defiant in the line from roto grip?
by champ - 10/24/14 03:37 PM
First Day with the Storm Crux
by SteveH - 10/24/14 02:58 PM
Thumb Tape Help - Gets sticky.
by Mkirchie - 10/24/14 09:18 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.