BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94921 - 06/11/09 07:47 PM Re: most recent practice bowling video [Re: Lefty]
Taylor S. Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 19/M/ Williamsport, PA
hmm, if i start the backswing sooner, could i keep the fast paced walk? or if i got the ball to the top of the back swing sooner?
15# C System 3.5
16# Yankee Doodle Spare Ball. "Captain America"
15# Storm IQ Pearl
High game 300
high series 726
Average: 203

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#94922 - 06/11/09 08:00 PM Re: most recent practice bowling video [Re: Taylor S.]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
That's not a walk, and it's cause serious balance issues at the line. That is too much momentum to try to stop in such a small distance and still be able to post the shot. You are starting way too far back and this causes the running to the line as you take larger steps to get there. I stand at 6' tall and where you are starting on the approach is too far for me to do without a couple of very long steps, which is bad.

Trust me, quit fighting it and take the suggestions seriously.
HS:763

#94923 - 06/11/09 08:09 PM Re: most recent practice bowling video [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Taylor S. Offline
Regional Pro Contender

i was just asking a question.. but jeez i am taking all this serious. i thouhgt the posting at the end could have also been a problem created by me forcing the ball down before its at teh "zero Gravity" spot.....
15# C System 3.5
15# Storm IQ Pearl
High game 300
high series 726

#94924 - 06/11/09 08:23 PM Re: most recent practice bowling video [Re: Taylor S.]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Taylor the dropping into the swing is looking better, the problem I see is the ball is getting into the swing a bit early, which is causing your feet to run to the line to catch up, then run past the swing which causes the swing to have to be pulled through to catch back up to your feet.

The solution, keep your upper body up, keep your chest facing your target, if your chest points down then the ball will go down too fast. Less upper body tilt will also free up your swing because when you bend your back forward with the ball, then you will want to pull up at the release, when this happens you will lose balance.

Another thing I would like to see you try is lift the ball up and forward with your left hand (the weight of the ball is supposed to be in the left hand at the start), then drop the ball into the swing in a more rounded shape, while still not extending the elbow as you are now, good job on that by the way.

Jason is looking better and better. Tell him not to worry about getting robbed with those splits on seemingly good hits, that is the byproduct of the light weight ball, he through those shots quite well. I think he would benefit from setting up with his head over his right foot, and the ball under his head, as it is he is straight up with the ball in the center of his body, this causes him to have to swing the ball out to the right to get it around his hip instead of dropping it straight under his head.

Next video I want to see a couple of shots from straight behind and from the side, check and see if there is a night video mode on your camera, it helps brighten up the picture a bit.

#94925 - 06/11/09 08:32 PM Re: most recent practice bowling video [Re: CoachJim]
Taylor S. Offline
Regional Pro Contender

k, thanks coachjim, ill keep all that in mind
15# C System 3.5
15# Storm IQ Pearl
High game 300
high series 726

#94926 - 06/11/09 08:37 PM Re: most recent practice bowling video [Re: Taylor S.]
Taylor S. Offline
Regional Pro Contender

if i bend my knees, would it help keep my upper body from tilting? or is it that i just cant tilt? are there any drills i can do for the dropping into the arm swing?
15# C System 3.5
15# Storm IQ Pearl
High game 300
high series 726

#94928 - 06/11/09 09:15 PM Re: most recent practice bowling video [Re: Taylor S.]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Taylor, the way I read the question, it was like you want to keep the almost run to the line, but that is probably one of the biggest things that will cause problems with a approach which then translates to other issues.

My comment about taking the suggestions seriously is due to the way you don't want to try to change something that could help, at least according to some of comments I've read. I was the same way a couple of years ago. I've seen others as well that will post a video or some other question and when given an answer they didn't like or want to hear would try to get around it by asking it differently or just dismissing it.

What I'm seeing in the video is you are taking 4 steps with the back of your heels around 6-10" in front of the back set of dots. That is a lot of ground to cover is so few steps. If I was seeing 6 steps it would just be the speed of the steps that would be a concern. There is a simple exercise you can do that will help. I won't take credit for it, as CoachJim has posted it several times as well as showed it to me in person and he in turn probably learned it from someone else.

Go to the foul line, put your heels on the the dots while facing toward the back of the approach. Hold a bowling ball against your stomach and take 4 normal walking pace steps, then add half a step for the slide. This should be where you are starting your approach. That should be your pace and length of your steps for your approach. Do this a couple times to make sure you know where it is and then try bowling from that spot. Each time you throw the ball, start at the foul line again and walk back toward the back of the approach. It doesn't have to be with the ball after each shot, but just walk normally. Give this an honest try and try not to get too frustrated if it doesn't seem to be working well. It takes a few times to get it right and quite a bit more to get it perfect.

As for the tilting part. I don't think bending the knees, other than in the last couple steps will help. You need to stay as upright as possible, maybe a slight tilt of 10* which isn't much. Bending the knees prior to the third step might cause other issues, and trying to do the whole approach with bent knees will probably bring on other issues.
HS:763

#94929 - 06/11/09 09:24 PM Re: most recent practice bowling video [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Taylor S. Offline
Regional Pro Contender

sounds good infernocal, should i take a video of me doing this drill? not tryong to dismiss it, but do i get more power on the ball with 6 steps or 4?
15# C System 3.5
15# Storm IQ Pearl
High game 300
high series 726

#94933 - 06/11/09 09:57 PM Re: most recent practice bowling video [Re: Taylor S.]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: 3bonit3 T
hmm, if i start the backswing sooner, could i keep the fast paced walk? or if i got the ball to the top of the back swing sooner?

People aren't telling you to slow down to make your life difficult. It's for a reason. The ball needs to swing and be at certain places when you take certain steps. That's called timing.

Honestly, if you want to really improve your game, start asking what other good bowlers do, why they do it and why it helps them instead of trying to figure out a way you can keep doing the things you're doing now. From your videos to your attitude, I'm not getting the impression that you're someone who is taking improving seriously.

#94935 - 06/11/09 10:08 PM Re: most recent practice bowling video [Re: Lefty]
Taylor S. Offline
Regional Pro Contender

whats wrong with my attitude? im sorry if im not perfect, i was asking a simple question about it. i dont need the same speach about my attitude twice on the same forum, and by the way, im trying to do these drills, and get better. its kinda hard for someone who can only go to the bowling alleys every once in a while not every day, so when i get drills i can do at home, i do them allllllllll the time
15# C System 3.5
15# Storm IQ Pearl
High game 300
high series 726

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
After 8onths my centre has finally reopened
by looseleftie - 11/28/20 05:10 PM
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 11/28/20 01:37 PM
This is a damned shame
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.