BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94650 - 06/09/09 04:08 PM Re: Does Wrist Support Limit revolutions? [Re: sk8shorty01]
mattyg3535 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34/M/cocoa. Fl
With my wrist support (not all cranked up) I am between 275 and 300 rpm. I have not "really" tried to get my revs any higher yet. Not working on the inside just yet, still a little too outside before release. So, let's say I do try and only get 350 at the max, is there really a need for more than that if you have the correct speed to go along with it? Wrist supports limit revs but so do injuries! Without a wrist support you will subject your wrist to movement that will create arthritis or even tendon damage in the shoulder or elbow. Look at all the crankers that were on fire 3 or 4 years ago, where are they now? I am not saying that everyone needs a wrist support, they don't it kills your revs :p. What I am saying is that the idea of MAX REVS only a temporary number. If you want to achieve Max numbers yes you need to be free of support but to maintain a consistent max you should embrace the brace. Work within it's limits but know that they will be your limits for a long time.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#94653 - 06/09/09 04:22 PM Re: Does Wrist Support Limit revolutions? [Re: mattyg3535]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
High rev bowlers are fun to watch. Given a choice of watching Robert Smith or Walter Ray, I would much rather see Robert Smith destroy the rack with pins flying every which way. Watching Walter Ray can be about as exciting as watching paint dry.

But, which bowler's record and winnings would I rather have? Walter Ray, of course. There is an old saying, "crank for show, stroke for dough."

So, I will keep my Pro-Release wrist brace on the medium setting, and with my 250 revs (optimistic estimate) keep taking home the money.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#94655 - 06/09/09 04:24 PM Re: Does Wrist Support Limit revolutions? [Re: mattyg3535]
Shale Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 27/M/WI
The dynamic movement that it limits is what sk8 referred to with the yo yo action.

Cup your wrist, then uncup it, then put negative cup on it, the wrist braces hold your wrist in one position, sure you can cup it even further, but it only lets you uncup it to the minimum setting, which is what you see in slow motion on some of the great bowlers that pop up the revs that way.

I was thinking of designing a wrist brace, does anyone know where the PBA write up on rules for what a wrist brace can entail is?
Emmy Vibe(256)
Hot Sauce Pearl(254)
Viz-A-Ball white
IYC League:
Avg:185
HG: 245
Series: 610
Storm League
Avg: 181
HG: 224
Series: 595

#94656 - 06/09/09 04:26 PM Re: Does Wrist Support Limit revolutions? [Re: Joe Bowler]
Dennis Michael Online   jestera
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I gotta agree with you Joe. The pro release doesn't prevent your wrist from cupping. But, it does hold your wrist and arm straight. That's why I asked sk8 to explain the unhinged wrist. I certainly don't want my wrist to slacken in the release. You could come out on to of the ball.

Does a double dribble sound familiar?

Edited by Dennis Michael (06/09/09 04:26 PM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#94657 - 06/09/09 04:29 PM Re: Does Wrist Support Limit revolutions? [Re: Shale]
Joe Bowler Offline

Originally Posted By: Shale
I was thinking of designing a wrist brace...

How about one shaped like jai alai players use? Then everybody can throw the ball 35 mph, with 1000 revs. LOL

#94658 - 06/09/09 04:33 PM Re: Does Wrist Support Limit revolutions? [Re: Dennis Michael]
Joe Bowler Offline

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
I gotta agree with you Joe. The pro release doesn't prevent your wrist from cupping. But, it does hold your wrist and arm straight. That's why I asked sk8 to explain the unhinged wrist. I certainly don't want my wrist to slacken in the release. You could come out on to of the ball.

Does a double dribble sound familiar?

No double dribbles here. But, I will tell you a little secret. With my Pro-Release, I keep the band around the wrist tight, but the band around the fingers relatively loose. That way, I can actually cup and uncup the ball to a limited degree.

#94660 - 06/09/09 04:43 PM Re: Does Wrist Support Limit revolutions? [Re: Joe Bowler]
mattyg3535 Offline
Bracket Donor

I do the same thing Joe. I make sure the wrist support is tight but I give a little slack on the hand strap. For those of us that use supports you can't honestly say that you wrist and hand say in the exact position that you place it in. I can cheat the hell out of my support. The key it to relax and not cheat it. It isn't like you put one on and it is just auto pilot. You need the technique to create revs and or a good roll, a wrist support is just that, a support. Putting on football pads doesn't make you a great player it just protects form injury.

#94662 - 06/09/09 04:50 PM Re: Does Wrist Support Limit revolutions? [Re: mattyg3535]
Joe Bowler Offline

The only time I tighten the hand strap is to shoot my 7 pin (I am left-handed). And, before I do, I reset the Pro-Release to the open wrist, forward roll position. This ensures the ball rolls as dead straight as I can throw it.

I must say when I bought my first Pro-Release years ago, it taught me how to adjust my release, i.e, rev rate and axis tilt, via experimenting with the different settings.

Also, wearing a wrist brace gives you feedback that you don't get without one.

#94674 - 06/09/09 08:38 PM Re: Does Wrist Support Limit revolutions? [Re: Joe Bowler]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Dennis, if you watch Chris Barnes you will see his wrist break back at the release as his finger extend through the ball, this "unhinging" or snapping drives the fingers through the ball faster than a stiff wrist using just the momentum of the swing through the release.

Joe: By not strapping the hand, the wrist control is not doing the work, you are, the only benefit you are getting out of it is the strap around the wrist to take the tension off your wrist tendons, the ace wrap described earlier will do the same thing and allow you full range of wrist motion. It's all in what you feel comfortable with, but just for grins, try bowling with just a wrist wrap and see if you don't like it better.

I used to use a pro release back when it first came out because I had tendinitis in my wrist and elbow and wasn't strong enough to bowl without a brace. I used to undo my hand strap for the same reason to allow my hand to unhinge a bit through the release. I was bowling in the Nationals (of course) and my pro release broke right in the middle of a shot in the first game, I didn't have a back up so I was forced to bowl without it, and really liked my release and versatility better without it, it was like being unleashed.

Ron Clifton and I have been tossing ideas back and forth about wrist controls, the perfect wrist control will free up the hand some how just before you release the ball. Ron was saying the amount of gadgetry it would take to do that would be like bowling with a microwave strapped to your arm, but maybe someone can come up with the perfect wrist control that will allow you to wind your wrist and then uncoil it through the release. I was thinking some kind of ratcheting device that would let go electronically using a mercury switch to sense the release some how.

#94679 - 06/09/09 09:18 PM Re: Does Wrist Support Limit revolutions? [Re: CoachJim]
mattyg3535 Offline
Bracket Donor

You can always use the chrome ramp to get a consistent release.
smile

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 04:35 PM
End of Days
by explorer05 - Yesterday at 12:19 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.