BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#9421 - 05/22/06 05:52 PM Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams
Smash49 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 47/M/ Duncan Oklahoma USA
It does take a lot of work. I put in over 500 hours annually to the High School team including a lot of travel time. I spend at least a week at the coaches summit where ever it may be every year. The students and their parents also do a lot of work. Lobbying the school district, talking to newpapers etc. Fundraising also is a big thing. Bowling is not free in Texas! at least for most schools. Like Coach439 has stated keep working at it. All our schools seniors on the bowling club have been excepted to colleges and we are still looking for more schools.

Smash49

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#9422 - 05/24/06 02:22 AM Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams
Coach K Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 19/M/Chamberlain, SD
Ugh, I would've loved so much if my HS recognized a bowling team.

Wow, I love that game so much!

Luke 1:37

#33152 - 08/28/06 09:50 AM Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams [Re: Coach K]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I guess, I was fortunate. I received a Varsity letter for each of the 4 years of HS Bowling. But, it took a dedicated teacher in the school to be the moderator and keep it going. Don't even know if he could bowl. His problem was to get budget to pay for school bus and bowling. Another problem was the overlap with other Fall sports of Football and Basketball. Kids had to choose between them. Some exceptions were made because the Moderator was able to schedule bowling meets on Friday, late after school. This was a normally slow Football practice, since our games were usually on Sat at noon. I bowled, and played FB.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#33154 - 08/28/06 10:20 AM Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams [Re: Dennis Michael]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
I was fortunate enough to live in a state where bowling is a recognized Varsity sport (New York). I bowled all 6 years I was in Junior and Senior High School and my team won the Boys' State Championship in 1992. To me, high school bowling is like a college bowling atmosphere in that it's enthusiastic and a great learning experience if you want to continue competing at a very high level. As a matter of fact, if it weren't for school bowling, I wouldn't have some of the friends I have now.

For those of you who don't have it, keep working at it. Bowling, in the youth levels, is showing a resurrection of sorts, and may arrive near the level of popularity it once held with adults back in the "heydays" of the 50's through 70's. I've said it many times before, both as a youth bowler, as an adult bowler, and now as a coach - kids are the future of any sport and we need to give them any and every opportunity to succeed and enjoy the sport that we possibly can. Without youth participation, this sport will continue to decline where only diehards remain.

#33173 - 08/28/06 06:21 PM Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams [Re: Colonel Sandbagger]
Rollin' Cowboy Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 39/M/Atlanta
Lindzee

In the small town(Lindsay, Okla.) where I grew up there was no bowling team at all for students. Varsity or otherwise and certainly no club. My suggestion would be to contact the school board for one and discuss this at an open meeting but you will most likely have to have other kids interested in it other than 1, 2, or 3 of you. Get your word out and keep it out. Originally I'm from Oklahoma where as DJ mentions it above that football is like a religion. Sadly it is that way in almost all cities...small, large, or metropolitan.

Since you are 17 and on your way to graduating HS and moving on to college....one thing the board may need to realize is that if the school does decide to recognize you then it might mean more scholarships for those in the future for students such as yourself. In this case you may end up being the "martyr" by your activism in getting recognition but if you don't continue to try and see it through....it certainly will not ever be recognized.

I'd also get in touch with collegiate coaches who may lend you a hand or even attend the meetings with you. There are always options so utilize anything and everything to see your accomplishments through. It will not be an easy journey and it will frustrate you to no end....but there is one thing I want to invoke in you.....one voice cannot change anything.....a multitude of voices can change everything. Find sponsosrs or whatever you need to do.....but if the school won't recognize and support you and you have to find outside sponsors to do it....then remind the school that whatever revenue you bring in to support your organization that they will certainly not reap the benefits that you bring in. Let them cut their own throats.

Cal Russell

It takes balls to play this game.

#53471 - 03/29/08 09:54 PM Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams [Re: Colonel Sandbagger]
HertzPBA Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 18/M/PA
This crap happened at my school. Many people tried many times to get a team going and to get the area going competition and no one has interests in it. Its like they think bowling isnt a sport or isnt hard compared to other sports.
Storm T-Road Pearl - 15lbs
Storm Tropical storm - 15 lbs
(High game - 300) (High series - 746)
Average - 196 and rising

#53478 - 03/30/08 12:01 AM Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams [Re: HertzPBA]
Smooth23 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 23/M/Jackson, MI
Here where bowling is very big now, one of the local schools demoted bowling from a team to a club this year. Boys and girls both made enough money, I think boys ended up 6th in state, girls 2nd.

#53574 - 03/31/08 09:11 AM Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams [Re: Smooth23]
Timotheus Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 25/M/Syracuse, NY
I lettered in bowling my 4 years in high school as well, and in fact won the Section III team, doubles and singles tournaments at the end of the season my sophomore, junior and senior years respectively (I may be the only one to have done that, I'm not sure though). My school recognizes bowling as a varsity sport, and in fact almost every high school around here has a varsity and JV bowling team.

Lindzee your school may have a problem with thinking that it will have to shell out extra funding for the bowling teams. One of the schools near me (Oswego) had to disband their team because their local lanes burned down and the school couldn't afford it anymore.

As for the one high school administration thinking ice hockey is a disgrace to the school, that's just sad. He's probably a big football guy and anything that's not football doesn't matter to him. Actually that's kind of the way it is all over the country nowadays, though thankfully my area recognizes the importance and diversity of all sports from football to baseball to hockey to bowling to basketball.
16lb Roto-Grip Neptune (light and dry)

High game: 300
High series: 779

#53578 - 03/31/08 10:33 AM Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams [Re: Timotheus]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
New Jersey has been a good state for HS bowling too, but my HS was similar to others in how our team was treated, even though they had a team long before I got there. My Freshman year, we had no school provided transportation to the lanes that were 9 miles away, we had to get there ourselves. Next, for my Sophmore-Senior year we were given transportation to the lanes, but not back to home. During those 4 years we had a winning record every season, including winning our first county championship in my senior year. We went on to win our sectional that year too to go to states. That year, 2 of my teammates and I were named to the all-county team.

Even with success, we were still not treated the same as the other sports. We were supposed to get a championship banner in the gym to go along with the ones for all the other teams, but we never saw it and I'm not sure they ever got one for that year.

Mark

#53589 - 03/31/08 11:45 AM Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams [Re: Mkirchie]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
In HS, we had a regular league that we had to walk to, about 2 miles. But, our travel teams were treated just like any other team. School bus would drive to our destination, and bring us back to school. The bowlers had their option of taking public transportation home from the lanes.

But, that was in Chicago. Don't know what happens in the burbs.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 10:21 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
PBA 2 Game Formats and Roll-Offs (No Spoilers)
by champ - 07/22/19 05:30 PM
Tips to get back to a semi-roller release?
by djp1080 - 07/21/19 07:26 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.