BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#9410 - 08/20/05 02:15 AM High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams
lindzee1113 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 17/F/Indiana
Last summer I initiated a project to get a bowling team formed at my high school because we only had an intramural group that didn't compete with other schools. Here in Indiana bowling isn't at the varsity level for high school students, and so high schools aren't required to sanction a school's bowling team if one is formed. Eventually, we got a team formed, but my high school refuses to acknowledge its existance. It's a little ironic because last summer I went to the school athletic director to discuss forming a bowling team and he was all for it as long as we could support ourselves without money from the school (and we did). Even throughout the season he would stop me in the hall and ask me how it was going, etc...however, he seems to be the only one that cares the school has a team. He gave us permission to put up fliers around the school to advertise try-outs; every single one of them was taken down within a few days they were put up, and I also sent in an announcement for the school news but it was never broadcasted. The team took its own photos for the yearbook and the yearbook director himself told me that we would have a page for the team; I just got my yearbook and the team is not in there. The intramural club is, though, and so are all the other independent teams that my school doesn't sanction, like rugby and hockey.

Does this go on at any other high schools/colleges? Actually, the high school boy's team that won state in Indiana two years ago had a similar problem - their school wouldn't even display the trophy on campus.

I know a lot can't be done in a case like this (unless someone out there has an idea lol); I was just curious to see how other high schools treat their bowling teams.

Regardless if anyone at my school cares about going to the meets, etc., it just makes it difficult in a case like this to find people in a school of 3,000+ that are bowlers that might like to go out for the team. We basically relied on word-of-mouth to get the try-out dates known, and I fear that we'll have to do that again.

If anyone can offer and help, I'd truly appreciate it!!

Lindsay <><

Edited by Admin (03/31/08 08:14 PM)
Edit Reason: Please don't post email addresses.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#9412 - 08/21/05 10:59 AM Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams
Just call me Al Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 63/M/ Long Island, NY - right ...
Lindzee1113,
Sorry to hear that your school is treating bowling this way. You need an adult either from the school or the PTA on your side. If your school has a PTA, ask to address them on this. Check with the athletic director again. You may want to bring up the fact that scholarships are now being awarded in bowling as well.
The squeeky wheel gets oiled.
Don't give up the fight.

#9413 - 08/24/05 11:53 PM Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams
No open tenths Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 29/Male/kalamazoo,mi
I grew up in Bay City Michigan a very big bowling city (30,000 population 6 bowling centers). I didn't bowl in high school but I never remember hearing about the existence of a bowling team even though we were in contention for the state title many years. Unfortunatley very few young people give the sport the recognition it deserves and this attitude is carried on by many adults. I'm behind you to do whatever you can to be appreciated as the athletes you are.
Putting up flyers at your local centers may be more helpful than around the school. Also speak to any youth coaches in the area and tell them what you are looking to acomplish. Good luck!

#9414 - 09/12/05 09:53 AM Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams
Smash49 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 47/M/ Duncan Oklahoma USA
Lindzee

See if your state has an organization that handles high school bowling. What you described is not uncommon here. The people that handle high school bowling in your state may provide you with all the documentation to start with. You might also contact Bowling Headquarters at bowl.com to get some help. They may be able to point you in the right direction with guides and information. Texas is a club sport state and many of the high schools here have football as a religion:). That is about the only thing they consider. Our program is run with the help of an afterschool program called STEPS or Skills TO Empower People Socially. This helps because the school district already recognizes their work and sees it as a value to the students. You might look for someone like this at your school to be your sponsor.

Smash49

#9415 - 12/10/05 02:34 PM Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams
Nate Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 18/M/St. Louis
At my school we're just seen as a club. The school really doesn't care about us in anyway. I also play ice hockey for my school and it's the exact same way. They won't let us in the homecoming parade anymore and our principle feels we are a disgrace to the school. As for the bowling team....I don't think the principal knows we exsist.

#9416 - 02/03/06 08:29 PM Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams
SlashMassacre Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 15/M/KS
Well i have a good story. Our school has been around 31 years, and we have never even had a bowling club. Us bowlers had no high school team to speak of. I got sick of it, so I started a bowling club. Now it is going to be a varsity team sport against all other Kansas teams. I think high schools who are against something you like are complete a$$holes. I get made fun of at school because instead of football or wrestling, im doing bowling. they shut up when i flash my 300 ring though. Anyway, do what you can to make it better, bring it up to the district, not just the principal. Hope i helped at all'

Colton

#9417 - 03/19/06 10:35 PM Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams
Robert Lee Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 30 years old/Male/Pueblo, CO
When I was in high school, I lettered in bowling, but the teams from each high school were formed by the youth association. Each team competed against each other, and it was a traveling league, so we got to bowl in 3 of the 4 centers in my town. We won the championship the year I bowled with the team, but when we wanted to display the trophy, we were told it was ok by one vice principal, but the athletic director said we couldn't. So we just decided to just display it in the center, but you can't give up the dream. I love to bowl so much that I am starting a collegiate program at Colorado State University-Pueblo in Pueblo, Colorado, so if I can do it, we all can do it. We need to prove a fact that bowling is a sport.

#9418 - 04/02/06 07:54 AM Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams
The Dude Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 17/Male/Green Bay
Our school has a similar, but not too similar, situation. We have a bowling team, and we're actually really good. Bowling is a club sport here in Wisconsin, and we're not supported by our schools (at least we're not). The lanes that we bowl at for home school meets pitches in more than the school does, for instance giving us a coach bus to travel to a meet. Anyway, I'm really disappointed that the school doesn't want affiliation with us. In 2004, we had 2 teams in the state tournament and they took 1st and 2nd place. We also had the individual state champ in 2004. This year, we made it back on the TV finals for state and finished 3rd place. There's only one other team in the state that's made the finals as much as we have over the last couple years, but yet, the school wants nothing to do with us, and they refuse to display the 3 conference championships we've won, or any of our 3 state tournament plaques. I don't need to worry about it though, I just wrapped up my senior bowling year.

#9419 - 04/24/06 09:49 PM Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams
Colonel Sandbagger Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Male/Rochester, New York
Lindzee,

Our school has a similar situation, although bowling IS regognized as a sport here in my section of Upstate New York. As much as we are regognized as a Varsity team, life is not that fun for us. The athletic director, instead of hiring some of the Gold level coaches in our area who are more than willing to coach us, highered an assistant football coach/lunch moniter to be a sort of dignified babysitter. He knows about as much about bowling as the chair I'm sitting on. Firstly, he only looks at total pins in tryouts, not even caring (probably because he doesn't know about...)form or spare picking. I was cut as a 7th grader, although better than many of the kids that tried out, simply because I was, to my disadvantage, a seventh grader. He seems to be out to get the older, but lesser bowlers, some sort of bragging right their on a varsity sport. We are hoping to get enough support to throw him out this year.
Don't give up though, with enough support, you can make anything happen thumbsup
An ugly purple spare ball

If you blame the lane conditions for your bad games you better thank them for your good ones!

#9420 - 05/22/06 12:54 AM Re: High schools that won't recognize their bowling teams
Coach439 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 50+/F/Baton Rouge, LA
I to want to encourage you to "not give up the fight." When my daughter was in High School, some schools had teams as a club but not her high school they were very academic (the football team never won a game). So when she decided to start a team she received alot of opposition, but she didn't give up. In her sophomore year she managed to get them to allow the team as a club as long as they had an adult advisor that had to clear the school board as a substute teach and was wiling go to all of the matches each week about 15 weeks, but she found someone and they had a team for 3 years. She was top bowler for the all 3 years and went on to receive a scholarship to bowl for the University of Nebraska - Linclon and has 3 national titles out of the 4 years she bowled.
So don't give up the fight to get the school to let you have a team or to reconize the members for High School, Female bowler have many oportunities to get there advanced education to be paid, also if you are a female with at least a 180+ average and want to bowl for college, first look at www.SUbowling.com and go to "join the team page" and fill out the info. Then, if you are not interested their you can go to NCAA.org to get a list of other schools.
There are some club teams that offer some scholarship money but they are very few and usually you have to try out for them before you get it.

Coach

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
PBA 2 Game Formats and Roll-Offs (No Spoilers)
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 06:55 AM
2019 Summer Leagues
by wronghander - 07/15/19 11:07 PM
Tips to get back to a semi-roller release?
by djp1080 - 07/15/19 12:48 AM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 07/13/19 10:08 AM
Bowling Ball Hall of Fame
by BOSStull - 07/13/19 10:03 AM
2019 USBC Open Championship's Las Vegas
by champ - 07/09/19 12:12 AM
So the 3-unit oil rule is dead.
by wronghander - 06/24/19 11:47 PM
tennis elbow
by TheDemolitionMan - 06/24/19 10:34 AM
Creative Bowling Solutions Power Finger Grips
by MNsportsfan - 06/24/19 09:20 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.