BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#93521 - 05/31/09 01:48 PM Bowling with thumb in
etch Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 43/ male/ ontario/canada
Hi Guys

This is from a month ago. critique away I know I have a long way to go, I have big shoulders and can take it.

Thanks
Etch

Edited by etch (05/31/09 01:51 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#93522 - 05/31/09 01:53 PM Re: Bowling with thumb in [Re: etch]
mikhial66 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 20/M/FL
The amount that you squeeze onto the ball, it looks like the ball doesn't fit you. Before you do anything else, go to a Pro Shop and check if that ball fits your hand.
Python
Midnight Vibe
T-Zone (Spare)
Copperhead(THS Ball)

#93523 - 05/31/09 01:54 PM Re: Bowling with thumb in [Re: etch]
etch Offline
Bantam

Hi Guys

This one was taken yesterday. Been working on trying not to open up the shoulder and muscle swing the ball. Have changed my stand, move closer to the foul line, score my delivery down and keeping my chin, foot and ball all in line. Please critique away. Thanks for any help or tips.

Etch

#93526 - 05/31/09 02:15 PM Re: Bowling with thumb in [Re: etch]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
You have a lot of work ahead. You should start at the Pro Shop as the ball doesn't appear to fit your hand. It looks like you have to grab the ball hard to keep from losing it off your hand. The grabbing causes your swing to move away from your body to the right, then wrap behind you in the back swing then you have to force it back forward and unwrap the swing at the same time.

To have a straight arm swing you need to be able to swing the ball without squeezing it. Squeezing the hand muscles to hang onto the ball causes your entire arm and shoulder carriage to tighten and swing from your back instead of from the shoulder.

#93529 - 05/31/09 02:59 PM Re: Bowling with thumb in [Re: CoachJim]
etch Offline
Bantam

thanxs for the replys, i have went to the Pro Shop, very highly regarded driller, it probably appears that i am squeezing the heck out of it as i am so use to not having a thumb in, and cupping my wrist for support with a conventional grip and now i think i am subconcisously(sp?) over squeezing for fear of losing the ball? any tips on how to overcome the gripping?? i have a reverse thumb pitch in the ball now, and would an investment in a wrist brace help at all with the squeezing of the ball??? thanxs again for any tips/ help greatly appreciatted

Etch

#93532 - 05/31/09 03:52 PM Re: Bowling with thumb in [Re: etch]
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
3/8" forward in the thumb would be a good start to overcome gripping - IMO

~ John

#93540 - 05/31/09 05:39 PM Re: Bowling with thumb in [Re: etch]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
This is why I said you need to go back to your driller and work with him on it, it will take many trips before your grip is right. Just tell him you are having problems with squeezing and see what he says to do it might just require tape. It is next to impossible for me to tell you without you and your ball being here in front of me.

#93546 - 05/31/09 06:33 PM Re: Bowling with thumb in [Re: CoachJim]
etch Offline
Bantam

thanxs guy, will go and see the shop pro, and explain my squeezing /gripping problems , i have the reverse pitch because my thumbs bend back like a bannana almost, maybe coach jim, its something simple like tape as you suggested, and see what he thinks, thanxs again

Etch

#93554 - 05/31/09 08:32 PM Re: Bowling with thumb in [Re: etch]
mikhial66 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 20/M/FL
Reverse pitches do give people the tendency to squeeze the ball. You may have to change it to a forward pitch
Python
Midnight Vibe
T-Zone (Spare)
Copperhead(THS Ball)

#93666 - 06/01/09 09:17 PM Re: Bowling with thumb in [Re: mikhial66]
etch Offline
Bantam

hey guys, went to the Pro Shop today, had him watch me, check my pitches, i tried the tape as coach suggested,and i explained my kung fu death grip to him, my thumb hole is a 1/4 reverse pitch, so we are taking my spare ball,( swiss cheese it/ kill one ball at a time lol) and plugging the thumb hole and going with a zero pitch to start from, and work forward from there if needed, plug again and move pitch more forward etc etc, thanxs again for the help and suggestions and tips,, have been working on the towel under the arm for a smooth even arm swing as well, greatly appreciatted

Etch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
After 8onths my centre has finally reopened
by looseleftie - 11/28/20 05:10 PM
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 11/28/20 01:37 PM
This is a damned shame
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.