BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92333 - 05/18/09 08:14 PM I went bowling this weekend...
bowlingdude7 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 16/M/NM
and I got a video.

I can't really see much that I'm doing wrong in this video, but it feels like I am...I haven't been bowling really good (or consistent) lately...and my accuracy has gone down the toilet.

Any suggestions?

Edited by bowlingdude7 (05/18/09 08:15 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#92337 - 05/18/09 08:48 PM Re: I went bowling this weekend... [Re: bowlingdude7]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
One thing I see is you start the ball late. It looks like you have a 4 step approach but you don't start to move the ball until your second step. You also control the swing a bit. This is all throwing off your timing a bit and you force it through at the end which causes you to pop up on some shots.

To help with the swing, try putting more weight in the non-ball hand and then allow it to start the ball moving. It would be better to have the non-ball hand on the side of the ball and allow the bowling hand to be more on the outside of the ball.

There is a two step drill you can use to help with this and can be done at home. It's on a couple of websites and I was shown it by CoachJim. Set up like you are on the approach. Start to move your right foot while at the same time pushing the ball forward. The elbow shouldn't go past the front of the chest, you are close to this already but a step late. Then just let the ball swing as you take two steps. Make sure you aren't around anything breakable when doing this. This can help develop a free swing as well as help develop better timing.
HS:763

#92366 - 05/19/09 01:19 AM Re: I went bowling this weekend... [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Mattdean76 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 34/M/NY
just had one comment, I loved the "OH THE CHURCH" comment about 2:25 in

15# Brunswick Power Groove Dry R
15# Global 900 Creature S40
14# Faball Purple Hammer (spare ball)
15# Rotogrip Mars Pearl

#92733 - 05/21/09 05:34 PM Re: I went bowling this weekend... [Re: Mattdean76]
coasterlover420 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 17/M/NM
Your timing actually seems to work, just don't let it get any later than that, otherwise you will find yourself pulling the ball. If you can, you might want to get it moving earlier.

The biggest problem I found was your upper body position. You start way too far forward and everything just looks tense. Try to get leaned back a bit more and raising the ball up in your stance a bit. This will help you start your swing earlier, and it will let gravity work the ball. You don't seem to have a push away, which is vital to a relaxed swing. On your first step (4 step approach) the ball should be out in front of your chest, not in it's starting position. This will mean that all you have to do is relax everything and the ball will swing fine. ALSO, what this does is help you dictate direction. When you can push away your ball, you can push it right in the direction you want it to go, and according to the laws of physics, your arm will naturally swing on that plane. That is, if you don't muscle it.

You are rotating your hand around the ball WAYYYY too early. It is very evident by the very last shot from the front-right. Your hand should not be that far around the ball; ever. Not to mention during your back swing. You need to keep your hand inside the ball. This is what creates hook, not getting on the side. One of the biggest hook guys on tour, Tommy Jones, stays inside the ball through his entire swing. It is evident here in this video:

He doesn't rotate until very very late, practically when the ball gets to his ankle; and you can't say Tommy Jones doesn't know how to hook it. You can tell with this video of Chris Barnes too:

Since you live in Abq, you might want to make it up to TenPins one day and ask Mike Miller for a lesson. He is by far the smartest bowler I know.

#92740 - 05/21/09 06:04 PM Re: I went bowling this weekend... [Re: coasterlover420]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
And, while you are there, say hi to Pat Patterson, and have Mike drill you up a Lane Masters ball.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 01/12/21 05:35 PM
We encountered a problem. error
by BOSStull - 01/10/21 02:56 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 12/22/20 06:48 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2021 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.