BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92318 - 05/18/09 05:45 PM Beginner, loooking for a ball. Please help!!!
QTN2X Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 30/F/Virginia
Hi everyone, I am search for a new bowling ball and I hope some of you in here can give me some good suggestions. For the information, I am a petite female (5'1, 90lbs), right handed bowler. I am currently having an average of 155 and bowl about 2 times a week. However, I still consider myself a beginner as I don't know if my form, my release, stance/timing etc...is correct or not (i self-taught myself how to bowl, didn't have proper instructor). I also have no idea what my ball speed, revs, rotation axis are (I do know that my ball travels pretty slow down the lane with a low revs). Currently I am using the Ebonite Clash and having a problem with it in dry lane condition. Since I bowl slowly and weak, my ball tends to hook too early and too much in dry lane. I have to stand way too much on the left and still miss the pocket due the ball over hoooking. If i try to use more power to drive the ball deeper down, then my fingers tend to rotate more and give a more hook and thus ball still over hooks. Therefore, I wonder if the Ebonite Clash is too much of a ball for me to control now? Should I get a new ball with lower hook potential? If yes, which one should I get? I am thinking of getting the Tropical Storm as I know that it is an entry level performance ball. Is there anyone in here has used both Tropical and Clash? Are they a lot different in terms of hook potential and controllability? Note, I am not trying to build an arsenal or anything, I just want a general ball for all purpose as I only bowl as a hobby. thank you very much in advance for your inputs.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#92331 - 05/18/09 07:45 PM Re: Beginner, loooking for a ball. Please help!!! [Re: QTN2X]
bowlingdude7 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 16/M/NM
The Tropical Storm would be a good ball for dry lanes. Some other good balls would be the Ebonite Tornado or the Brunswick Power Groove.

The Clash should hook more than any entry level ball, but it depends on how you get it drilled and how much it is sanded or polished. If both a Clash and a Tropical Storm were drilled the same and were sanded to...oh I dont know...4000, then the Clash would hook more.

There are ways to increase your ball speed without getting the ball to hook more...This is how I would do it.

I would move my starting position on the approach back 4-6" and hold the ball higher than I usually do, and then I would go through my normal approach.

Moving back will cause you to take longer steps, which will increase ball speed. If you move forward and hold the ball lower, then you will throw it slower.

#92334 - 05/18/09 08:16 PM Re: Beginner, loooking for a ball. Please help!!! [Re: bowlingdude7]
evilash71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/ TX
My wife is petite. Just purchased hammer vibe. Drilled to go longer to combat her slower speed and lower rev rate. She loves it so far. She had the same issue as you. Just make sure you get it drilled for length and snap. Driller will understand. Tell him you have slow speed and need the ball to get down the lane and snap at the end.
#14 MUTANT CELL PEARL
#14 ROTO DARK STAR
#14 ROTO RISING STAR
#14 ROTO OUTLAW
#14 ROTO GRENADE
#14 T ZONE SPAREBALL
#14 Storm Frantic

#92338 - 05/18/09 08:58 PM Re: Beginner, loooking for a ball. Please help!!! [Re: evilash71]
QTN2X Offline
Bumper Bowler

thank you both of your for your valuable inputs. What about urethane ball? should I get urethane ball instead of entry level reactive? I am looking at the Brunkswick Groove urethane ball.

#92340 - 05/18/09 09:10 PM Re: Beginner, loooking for a ball. Please help!!! [Re: QTN2X]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
The Groove Urethane is part of the Power Grove series and is also an entry level ball. It has the same core, which really isn't much of a core.
HS:763

#92342 - 05/18/09 09:47 PM Re: Beginner, loooking for a ball. Please help!!! [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
The problem with the Groove, Tropical storm is that they have hardly any core in them. So they have no hitting power. But they will hook less then the Clash.

But before you buy a new ball I'd first make sure you've brought your Clash into the Pro Shop to be polished. It comes in polished condition, but the friction from the lanes natually takes it down in grit so that the ball will start hooking earlier and earlier.

Erin

When you move inside to try to combat the drier lanes are you also moving your target too? And you say you have to move too far left....how far is too far? And is this condition something you start out on at the beginning of your play or something that transitions during play?

#92359 - 05/19/09 12:25 AM Re: Beginner, loooking for a ball. Please help!!! [Re: Atochabsh]
QTN2X Offline
Bumper Bowler

Yes, I did recently bring the ball to the Pro Shop to polish it. I didn't think it helped me much. My normal com fort zone for strike throw usually starts with the hmm...I do'ntt knowk the board number, but 3board to the right of the middle dot. Then as lane gets drier, i move further and further left. When I move left,i try to use the same release and target but it's just a lot harder for me to stand left and throw the ball to the right. I prefer to stand right, throw the ball straight down at the 2nd arrow from the right and send the ball straight down with a snap at the end into the pocket. When lane is wet, I am able to do that. When it dries up, I have to move left (3baord left of the middle dot and try to aim 3arrow from right). At some point when the lane gets so dry, I have to move all the way left where I usually stand to pick up the 10 pin. By the time my ball gets into the pocket, it has no more energy left to strike, resulting in a lot of splits or 10 pin. That's why I am thinking I might need a ball with less hook so I can always stand where I stand and throw ball straight down 2nd arrow goingn into pocket.

#92363 - 05/19/09 01:17 AM Re: Beginner, loooking for a ball. Please help!!! [Re: QTN2X]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I don't think that a new ball is going to buy you a lot of time during the lane transition. It won't allow you to go back and stand in your comfort zone and aim in your comfort zone. The bigger problem is that those ball will not hit very well/hard and your carry will suffer.

So you are going to have to learn how to move left more effectively. When you move left, move in 2 to 1 increments. That's two with your feet and 1 with your target. So that means that you can move 4 and 2 or 6 and 3. If its harder for you to get your angle shooting that far inside, then set your feet in your beginning stance parallel to your desired ball path. You can even back your right foot maybe 1/2way back from your left. This will open your shoulders and help you swing the ball at that angle.

But I have to say that you could probably gain a lot from some coaching. A coach can teach you how to maximize your momentum.

I have a girlfriend that is your size. She's 63 though. Maybe 110lbs and 5'2" or 3. Very trim 63. She throws 15lbs. And her ball speed is slow and she too has to always play way left of everyone else. But at 63 and being petite she's averagine in the 180s. She has great balance at the line and good leverage in her release, even though the ball speed is slow (maybe 10 mph at the pin deck). She's using a 15 Columbia Cuda2000 and a 14lb Lanemasters New Standard. So she's using dynamic equipment. And of course a plastic spare ball. We've tried her with 14lb equipment but it really doesn't help her ball speed.

Erin

#92487 - 05/19/09 08:52 PM Re: Beginner, loooking for a ball. Please help!!! [Re: Atochabsh]
QTN2X Offline
Bumper Bowler

hi Autobabsh, thanks a lot for your advise. Could you please elaborate more on the 2 to 1 increments? Does that mean if i move my feet 2 boards over, then i move my target by 1 board? Like i said, i am still a beginner and have a lot more to learn about bowling. I know getting a coach would really help me, but I dont have the money for it at the time being. Plus, I only bowl with friends for fun as a hobby and not really playing in league or tournatment or anything. BUt I do want to learn and improve. I will try things that you suggest to see if I can have better release and hitting pocket better. It's just that I am more comfortable being a stroker than a cranker, meaning i like it better bowling from the outside in rahter than bowling from inside and sending the ball across the lane and hook back in.

#92492 - 05/19/09 09:22 PM Re: Beginner, loooking for a ball. Please help!!! [Re: QTN2X]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Yes, 2 and 1 adjustments are 2 with the feet and 1 at the target.

As for coaching, since you were asking about a ball and it sounds like you were going to buy one, you would be able to get a lesson or two for the same cost. Depending on where you are at in Virginia we actually have a coach on these boards from the Northern Virginia area near DC.
HS:763

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 10/18/18 04:06 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.