BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#9235 - 01/13/04 06:20 AM Bowling ball for youth bowler
Turner727 Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 34/M/KCMO
Now, as I recall, up till the time I was fourteen or so, I used the same weight ball as my age. So when I was twelve, it was a twelve pound ball.

Now, my 11 year old is in a league, and about to get a ball at the end of the league. So my question is, what weight should he use? Right now, his timing is shot, so I have him on an 9lb ball. But he's wanting to throw a 10, and seems to do okay with it. One of the Pro Shop guys said that if you use a 10 lb house ball you can easily use an 11lb ball.

While I like the Pro Shop guy, and my instict is to trust him, I'd like to hear what other people have to say.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#9236 - 01/13/04 07:04 AM Re: Bowling ball for youth bowler
Coachrich Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: Chesterland, Ohio
I've heard of matching ball weight with age. I have also read the theory of using 10% of the bowlers body weight.

Frankly, I think you need to look at the bowler's size and know whether they exercise, practice and are generally active in sports.

Be wary of increasing the ball weight before the bowler develops a good release. Increasing the weight too soon could result in thier wrist breaking down and evolving into a spinner release.

There are a few professionals that use a 10 - 12lb ball to work solely on thier release to get effective rotations, ignoring pin count.

Hope this helps,

#9237 - 01/13/04 07:10 AM Re: Bowling ball for youth bowler
Turner727 Offline
Junior Coach

Well, he's a kid. Lot of running around, sports at school, that sort of thing. I forget how tall he is, but he's a pretty good sized kid. I think he's about 80 lbs, and to be honest, I couldn't tell you how tall. Maybe about 4'6"? Taller? I'd have to look at it when I get home.

#9238 - 01/13/04 09:15 AM Re: Bowling ball for youth bowler
Turner727 Offline
Junior Coach

I measured him when I got home, and he's 4'10". I was thinking 4'6" was too short.

#9239 - 01/13/04 01:42 PM Re: Bowling ball for youth bowler
Coach Zim Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 30/M/IL
From what I've experienced when coaching youth bowlers, he should be around a 12 lb bowling ball (again, depending upon size, experience of the child). A good way to find out if it's a suitable weight for him is to have him stand in front of you. Have him hold his bowling arm at 90 degrees (elbow at the waist and palm up). Carefully place the bowling ball on his palm (but don't let it fall!). If he seems to struggle with holding this weight, then it's too heavy. Be careful because if the weight isn't correct it will throw his timing all off (just like you mentioned wink ) . Try this with some house balls and see what weight feels good to him.

#9240 - 01/14/04 12:57 AM Re: Bowling ball for youth bowler
Turner727 Offline
Junior Coach

Well, when I told him 11lb ball, he panicked over it. So I'll probably go with the 11.

The thing I'm looking at too, is he started bowling maybe six weeks ago. A 10lb ball he can throw just fine right now. And since the ball he'll be getting is part of the league promotion, we won't get it until the league is almost over. So it's about three months away. I'm hoping that the 11lb is enough for a year or so. I can always put the ball away for a year until my 9 y/o wants it, and buy him another, but I'd rather not do that immediately.

But I will try what you said, CZ, and see how he does with it. Thanks!

#9241 - 04/27/04 05:19 PM Re: Bowling ball for youth bowler
JoshRash Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 14 Male De
My opinion is that if the ball is to heavy then he will get use to it. I used to have a 14lb bowling ball and i am throwing it so fast that it didnt have time to hook. It was a V2 Particle so its a pretty good hookin ball. Instead of going to a 15lb ball which i knew i should have gotten i got a 16 pound storm triple X. My timing is better and im getting use to the ball. Use to have a 154 average but now i have a 176. I say get an 11.

Josh Rash

#9242 - 08/28/04 03:01 PM Re: Bowling ball for youth bowler
fuze detonator Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 14/m/uk
i am 14 and just moved up to a 13, but if he can manage a 10lbs house ball he will easily manage a 11-12lbs ball. i have trouble bowling with a 12lbs house ball because it doesnt fit my hand right
Current Average 169 over 60+ Games

Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
PBA 2 Game Formats and Roll-Offs (No Spoilers)
by champ - 07/22/19 05:30 PM
Tips to get back to a semi-roller release?
by djp1080 - 07/21/19 07:26 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.