BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#9223 - 11/06/02 07:36 AM brackets
bowl4life Offline
League Bowler

One of our youth tournaments decided to run brackets during their tournament giving scholarship certificates to the bracket winners. Many parents complained that this was against YABA rules, was promoting gambling, and did not belong in youth bowling.

I could not find any rule in the YABA Handbook that applied to this. Does anyone know YABA's stand on brackets? Any opinions?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#9224 - 11/06/02 11:18 AM Re: brackets
sloth Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 28/M/NE
I think the parents are babying their kids to much then. If they don't want their kids to compete then why do they have them in a sport. There are always winners and losers in nearly every aspect of life and kids just as well learn it early on. Now I don't believe on pushing the kids so hard that the sport isn't fun, because that's the main goal in any sport is to have fun.

Compitition usually is a wonderful tool to make people want to get better at what they do.

If the parents think the scholarship offer is making it gambling they can always refuse to take it if their kid wins. Besides it's not gambling if they work for it.

These are only my opinions and I have no idea about the yaba rules.

How old are the kids and what do they think of the brackets? If Johnny doesn't like competing directly against Tommy then another style should be found.

#9225 - 11/06/02 05:48 PM Re: brackets
L8MDL Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 52/M/Colorado
Read Rule 400 - Special Eligibility: To Quote:
BRACKETS. YABA members may participate in side competitions known as brackets, provided that all the entries be returned 100% and in the form of scholarships only. No cash or bonds are to be awarded at any time. In adult/youth competition YABA brackets must be separate from adult brackets. Participation by the YABA member in the same bracket as adults is prohibited, nor can their scores be used in adults brackets. No other form of side competition is allowed.

#9226 - 11/06/02 06:23 PM Re: brackets
bowl4life Offline
League Bowler

L8MDL
Thanks for noting the YABA rule which I could not seem to find.

I guess as a coach I hate to see brackets in youth bowling, and frankly I'm surprised YABA would allow it. Kids have the rest of their lives in adult bowling to spend money on brackets, but I guess when mom or dad are putting up the money, why not.

#9227 - 11/07/02 11:17 AM Re: brackets
L8MDL Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 52/M/Colorado
Brackets have enabled youth bowlers in our leagues to earn enough scholarship money to pay for at least a portion of their college education. My daughter earned over $6,000 just in brackets over 9 years of bowling in local, state or regional leagues or tournaments offering brackets. She added around $25,000 to that figure with local, state and national titles. It sure makes it easier for mom and dad when the tuition bill comes. Those who do not like brackets simply do not have to participate but for those who do it puts another level of competition into the game.

Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by champ - 02/25/20 02:22 PM
This is a damned shame
by champ - 02/24/20 06:12 PM
What to do?
by Mkirchie - 02/01/20 07:45 AM
Plugging balance holes
by Dennis Michael - 01/29/20 01:20 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.