BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92160 - 05/17/09 01:12 PM give me tips!!!!
kidrobot Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 23/M/usa

Global 900 Bounty 15#
Roto Grip Cell Pearl 15#
Spare ball - needed

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#92208 - 05/17/09 10:12 PM Re: give me tips!!!! [Re: kidrobot]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
You take 5 steps and start the ball with your first step, by extending the ball so far out in front of you, you get your timing back under control near the end of the approach you are back on time.

I would have you delay moving the ball until your second step and move it with your right foot like they are tied together. When you start the ball, don't move the ball so far out in front of you, your elbow shouldn't pass the front of your body, and then drop the ball into the swing.

The elbow shouldn't straighten out until the ball passes your left foot, by the time the left foot compresses on the approach the ball should be behind you at your right hip.

The 4th step should be short and quick and propel you into the slide with a good knee bend. If you let the ball just swing from your shoulder without forcing it, the ball should get to the release point just after your left foot stops sliding.

#92218 - 05/17/09 10:47 PM Re: give me tips!!!! [Re: CoachJim]
kidrobot Offline
Junior

hmm thanks, def some stuff to try out and think about. I'll give the stuff you say a try, a big problem with me is if I think too much I do a lot worse. If my mind is clear and I let my muscle memory do the work I play a lot better. I had one question, when you said this "When you start the ball, don't move the ball so far out in front of you, your elbow shouldn't pass the front of your body," From stuff I've read, what I see, and what some people have told me I thought it was proper to bring the ball out in front of you and then bring it down like a pendulum? Is that no proper technique? I'll let you know how it works out. Any other advice is appreciated as well!

Global 900 Bounty 15#
Roto Grip Cell Pearl 15#
Spare ball - needed

#92236 - 05/18/09 12:06 AM Re: give me tips!!!! [Re: kidrobot]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
That is one way to do it.

Coach Jim is talking about kind of giving the ball a little stutter push forward and then letting gravity move the ball through the swing i.e. using a free swing. The first part of that is quite literally dropping the ball or letting it fall. The technique I believe Coach is talking about is called the swinging-hinge.

You can read more about it here:
http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinskifeb09.pdf

And watch it here. Both bowlers do it, but a little differently.

You'll notice that neither of Barnes' or TJ's elbows go past their original starting position. They let the ball fall.

Biomechnically, this technique is great tool. It can improve your ability to free up your swing, your rev rate, accuracy and a few other things. Also this still creates a pendelum. Like I implied earlier, it's just a different way to do it.

Hope this helps clarify things.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#92245 - 05/18/09 06:25 AM Re: give me tips!!!! [Re: kidrobot]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Relying on muscle memory is great if you have the right muscle memory and you don't. You need to modify it and get everything right before putting it back on auto pilot, so have patients and stay with it and work hard and you will be rewarded.

That's the problem with many of the books that are out on bowling, they were written back before they took bio mechanics into account. Read Execution by John Jowdy, he has updated it again and the new book should be out now.

If you extend the ball out in front of you what happens, is the ball will lack momentum so you will have to pull it back into the swing to get it started, where if you drop it into the swing from a higher position and let it drop into the swing without catching it (this requires a properly fitted ball, so pay attention to if you have to squeeze the ball to hang onto it, if so then it's back to the Pro Shop to get that fixed).

Every bowling book since they started writing them has said not to move the ball until the second step of a 5 step delivery, so don't move the ball until the second step.

#92247 - 05/18/09 07:06 AM Re: give me tips!!!! [Re: CoachJim]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
kidrobot, your ball seems too light in weight, since you can muscle it throughout your swing. What weight is it?

Agree with coachjim. your swing should start on step 2. You get the ball out too early and are controlling it to get into sync with your release. You take 3 steps while the ball is below or behind you. Controlling the ball on each. Let the ball swing freely.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#92267 - 05/18/09 09:37 AM Re: give me tips!!!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
kidrobot Offline
Junior

Dennis thanks, my ball is 12lbs which is pretty light but for some reason my wrist always hurts so I was thinking a heavier ball would compound this.

Global 900 Bounty 15#
Roto Grip Cell Pearl 15#
Spare ball - needed

#92271 - 05/18/09 10:19 AM Re: give me tips!!!! [Re: kidrobot]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Actually, a freer swing will help. You are holding the ball weight with your wrist while you control it. That is a strain that you don't need.

With your controlled back swing, I can understand why a ball 4 pounds heavier would hurt your wrist.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#92281 - 05/18/09 11:58 AM Re: give me tips!!!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
Domokun Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: male/DC Metro
Kid, Coach's got me doing that very thing he's talking about, and I'm in 100% overhaul. I should also be 100% awake at night since I'm leaving for a tournament that's very important to me personally on Wednesday and all of my equipment is in the shop being modded again. With no time to practice, I'm doing the 3-step free swing practice at home.

Gotta say it truly doesn't take very long to incorporate. Helps a lot, of course, with someone standing right there ready to say "STOP!", and I'd like to think I'm pretty malleable. Pretty basic thing to say, but straighten the mind out, and the body'll follows. Big duh, but you have to acknowledge that first.

(Taking bets on the "promise" of equipment return tomorrow night--no guarantees that everything's right, but who's betting I'm drilling a new VG, Hy-road and GS at closing time?)

Ebonite: Challenge, Exceed, Innovate
Storm/RG: Cell Pearl, Tropical Breeze

"Only NBC or CBS for me. New Ball Carry or Clean Ball Strikes. Channel 4 and 14 or nothing." -- D. Ryan

#92300 - 05/18/09 03:35 PM Re: give me tips!!!! [Re: kidrobot]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: kidrobot
Dennis thanks, my ball is 12lbs which is pretty light but for some reason my wrist always hurts so I was thinking a heavier ball would compound this.

It hurts because you're trying to control your swing. Take CoachJim's advice and then you can work on freeing up your arm swing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 01/12/21 05:35 PM
We encountered a problem. error
by BOSStull - 01/10/21 02:56 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 12/22/20 06:48 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2021 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.